GreaseSpot Cafe

PFAL on DVD

GeorgeStGeorge

Almost simultaneously with seeing Belle's thread on an Internet transcription of PFAL, I received a FAX from a friend of mine in Florida who ordered a DVD set of PFAL from "The Belizean BRC." Interestingly, they list their address as P.O. Box 244, Dangriga, Belize, but also as P.O. Box 38405, Germantown, TN! I can't find anything about this group on the Internet, but they obviously do have DVD'd of PFAL for distribution. They even have "green cards"! A"minimum donation" of $150 is required for the tapes. banghead.gif

It begs the question, Who actually has the copyright for PFAL? Did TWI let it lapse?

George

quote:
It begs the question, Who actually has the copyright for PFAL? Did TWI let it lapse?

My first thought was no, the copyright hasn't expired, but a little research turned up this:

http://www.unc.edu/~unclng/public-d.htm

My understanding is that PFAL was filmed in 1967. That would mean a copyright term of 28 years plus an automatic extension of 68 years. *BUT* anything published from '64 to '77 had to have a copyright notice for protection. Anyone remember seeing the copyright notice on the film?

Of course, TWI could maintain that it was not "published" since they controlled or tried to control every copy. All very interesting.

But I'm not a lawyer and this isn't legal advise icon_smile.gif:)-->

quote:
Originally posted by Jim:

Here's a group with a different name but the same exact address as your "Belizean BRC"

http://www.livingtreeacademy.org/

You can do a whois lookup on livingtreeacademy.org for more information on the group. I did, but I can't put it up. Last time I tried I got moderated for doing it.

Interesting stuff. Thanks, Jim.

George

I think I found it!

You will find it on page six of this PDF file..

Apparently, the Belizean government does not recognize da class as even being a "publication"- because it is not published in sufficient quantities for the public. In the case here, the copyright holder does not publish it, AT ALL.

About the only way TWI is gonna get control of the thing is to offer PFAL to the public once again.

Until then, may they cry in their soup.

Personally, I don't think TWI even has the resources to market the thing, at least to the level that the Belizean government would even remotely consider calling it a "publication".

Of course, they could spend another several million sending some high-falutin lawyers on a nice vacation in the bahamas trying to defend their honor, heh heh.

That sure ought to go over real well with the few innies left..

I guess I missed all that a year ago, Belle. From the thread you linked, it seems that LTS has gotten a lot bolder in its stance on PFAL.

As far as the copyright business is concerned, I can see how LTS might be able to sell PFAL outside the States, but it still should be illegal in the US. And yes, Jim, the copyright was on the tapes of PFAL.

George

Well, I would only guess that it is NOT illegal to import it.. mainly because we have not seen any lawyering on the part of TWI, at least YET.

This PFAL on DVD really is old news- I think they've been at it for a couple of years now.

TWI would've been on it "like a texan on a pork chop".

If they could have.

Or maybe they've just grown tired of all the legal shenanigans- who knows.

You'd think TWI would just forget about all the principles, and think of the money.

I wonder how many copies of "da class" have made their way out of Belieze..

Cripe- even at $150.00 a crack, there are potentially thousands of individuals lined up just waiting for it. Perhaps even a few of us on greasespot, just to have it for some kind of "reference" for one reason or another..

Even with today's devaluated currency, they would generate a tidy sum.

With the current slave labor "employed" at headquarters, overhead per each copy wouldn't top ten or fifteen dollars, you'd think.

Whether or not you agree with it doctrinally or practically, you have to admit they are throwing their only marketable product down the hole.

quote:
Originally posted by justwannabeme:

Question, dmiller: May I ask where is that location of free PFAL, if I might ask. I never heard of that!

Justwannabeme -- perhaps I was a bit presumptuous in saying *free*. I do know of a person who is with a group that has all the class materials, and they *give them away*, asking only that one covers the cost of the blank tapes (discs - whatever) and pay the shipping for them.

I haven't spoken with this person for a while, so I do not know if this is still

*available* from that group. I recently found out about some folks here in Minnesota who run pfal on a regular basis -- and they (from what I understand) are willing to give out copies to those who are willing to run the class in their area.

Regardless -- there is no where near the $150.00 *requested donation* mentioned earlier. icon_smile.gif:)-->

David

OK...I delved into the livingtree site and found out something interesting...in the "newsletter archives", I see that the guy writing the letter and signing as the president of this outfit...is none other than an 8th corps guy that I remember...his initials are A.G....anyway, it sort of ties it all together.

Groucho there are quite a few people on here who know Anthony and about his group. They posted information on the link to the previous discussion about this group that I posted on page 1. icon_smile.gif:)-->

Apparently the guy just really has a big vision for helping people and is doing so with what he knows, which happens to be very TWI influenced.

The card that was sent out to people offering the DVD set had this to say about donating for the DVD's,

"The cost for the DVD set ( not including the time that is put into

this labor of love) is approximately $150.00 which includes shipping

and handling. If you are financially able to contribute to the basic

cost of these materials, please send your donation with this

response card."

"If you are financially able", doesn't sound like money is their

main concern.

Chad