GreaseSpot Cafe

Feel the Noize

pawtucket

I can't say where it happened. Black Sabbath concert in 72, Alice Cooper 5x in the early 70's; Beck Bogart and Appice in 73 or Pink Floyd any number of times. Maybe it was a machine shop from 77-83. Any and all of those have diminished my hearing enough that I now need hearing aids.

I've gotten used to saying, "excuse me"; "could you say that again?" and "huh?" It was gradual. In July, I saw some friends face to face for the first time in a number of years and our contact has been mainly via the internet. The 2nd or 3rd day, they quietly broached the subject of my hearing. They were not used to me saying "huh" and "what" the last time they saw me.

So I went and had my hearing checked. And I was sorely deficient in my midrange to high end. And I thought I was just developing a fondness for the bass guitar!!

The audiologist said that it was probably a result of working in a machine shop with a constant noise level and the hundred or so concerts didn't help. Earplugs weren't "in" in the 70's.

I am very sure that the loss is NOT a result of listening to Takit or Joyful Noise.

Anyone else having this dilemna? (And to think, my father said that if I kept listening to THAT music, I would go deaf)

I have notches in my hearing at 1004 Hz and at 2600 Hz...in addition, I have a slight case of tinnitus.

Mine was clearly linked to working in the telecomm business for years. (1004 Hz is a standard test tone and 2600 Hz is the tone for in-band signalling for voice circuits).

I don't think it was due to listening to the Who, Pink Floyd, or Van Halen.

Fortunately, the hearing loss is very tightly notched for me, so I won't need hearing aids for a number of years (and when I do, it will be paid for by the DOD).

Are you going to be able to get the in-ear hearing aids? My wife has one and is very comfortable with it -- and its not at all noticeable, unless you're looking for it.

Well, Paw, you know I talk really loud. icon_biggrin.gif:D--> All my life I grew up with my mom and other relatives saying, "You don't have to yell, I'm right here." I also constantly ask people to repeat themselves, but I always pass every hearing test ever given to me and usually they say I have textbook healthy eardrums. At work they call it "selective hearing" but they enjoy being able to talk about me while I'm right there.

Mama worked for the concert committee at Mississippi State for many, many years so we always got great seats for the concerts. icon_biggrin.gif:D--> My Daddy blew out an ear drum at a Willie Nelson concert because our seats were right next to the very loud speakers at the front row. He seems to be okay, but I think the one ear causes him problems sometimes.

Hi PT, thankfully, no. (my hearing's acute in certain ranges, although I'm not sure if the edges have been rounded off a little over the years, probably has been).

But - for those considering protection, there's Hearos

They're inexpensive. For concerts, where you'd want to get the level down below 90 descibels they do a good job. I've tried the American, Super and Extreme, and "Super" does a good job. I prefer the foam style, sound still transmits through them pretty evenly. You can carry them easily, I keep them in the car glove box so I always have them handy. For noise reduction in "normal" surroundings, I like 'em. (half the task is having them when you need them!).

Speaking of concerts - for years the loudest concert I'd been to was The Who, late 60's, at the old Fillmore in San Francisco. When Townsend swung his Telecaster over his head and slammed it down on the floor full throttle it sounded like a car'd been dropped in the room.

Then I saw Pearl Jam in the mid-90's with my kids at the reopened Waldorf in S.F. Absolutely set a new standard. They were very good for that kind of music, but it redefined loud for me. That's when I started looking around for my kids!

I have a constant ringing and slight hearing loss in my left ear, leftovers from a bad ear infection and myringotomy, but other than that, doing pretty good for my age.

All the male relatives in my extended family either worked in construction, railroad or mines so when they got together it was a real shoutfest.

I worked with an old German engineer for a number of years. He had a habit of getting right next to your face and staring intently any time you talked to him. It took me awhile to realize he couldn't hear and was trying to listen and lip-read. He had spent his late youth in Hitler's tank corps and the rest of his life in factories.

Buying a set of quality full ear cover headphones can do wonders for your enjoyment of music. I bought Sony MDR-V6 headphones (about $70) and I really, really like them. I put them on and I hear music the way I did in my youth.

Paw

Alice Cooper is doing a show here next month. Do you think he will have sign language interpreters for us?

03_320x240.jpg

Quiet Riot 2005

Cum on feel the noize

Girls rock your boys

We get wild, wild, wild,

Baby wild wild wild.

Cum on feel the noise

You'll be deaf when you raise your boys

You'll say Huh? Huh? What?

I have 80% lost in my left ear, 20% lost in my right, all high range lost. High pitched voices, telephones and alarms are non existant to me. But I can hear a car door shut three houses down the street, doctor says I have exceptional low end hearing.

My ears buzzzz, chirp, snap, crackle and pop constantly... especially when tired. Sort of sounds like a frog pond in my head. I tried two hearing aids for a few months but couldn't get use to them.

Doctors believe it started as a child playing with firecrackers too much and I had a 30-30 rifle fire next to my ear that left me totally death for a month in my left ear. On top of that I worked in a machine shop and traveled construction for many years. And I just love loud rock n' role.

quote:
Personally I think they just whisper when I'm around.

Shellon, my Daddy tells of a teacher when he was in grade school who wore a hearing aid. When he would call roll in the mornings the kids would start out at normal voice and then gradually as each kid answered "Here" they would get softer and softer.

The teacher would turn up his hearing aid as they got quieter. Once he turned it up a few times the next kid would yell, "HERE!"

Kids can be so cruel, but it's funny to hear him tell it.

Huh? What's that you say?

Back in the '60s, I paid for much of my college by working college frat parties as a photographer. That's back when they all had live bands and no DJ's.

I also played in the marching band and concert band...I played the tuba and we typically sat directly in front of the drums, beside the trombones.

That, along with my shooting hobby, my woodworking hobby and my machining hobby has caused a condition known as tinnitus...a constant ringing in my ears.

I used to HATE those stupid classes and teachings, especially the ones run by Harvey P. in Californey, where they kept the volume low so everyone would strain to hear. I guess they thought folks would pay more attention or something.

So, could you all speak a little louder, please?

I guess a hearing aid is inevitable, but I think I'll try a horn, first...it's more my style.

After I saw Green Day and My Chemical Romance back in April, I noticed my ears were ringing much longer than they used to after a rock concert ---- hours and hours. I thought I was just getting old - but now think perhaps that all the accumulated concerts and years of listening to loud music are finally catching up with me. I still love it loud, though.

My youngest is playing drums now, and I've been told by friends she should wear ear plugs when she practices or it could hurt her hearing. I don't remember any drummer I knew wearing ear plugs, and don't want to seem like a worry-wart ... any advice?

yeah hopeR... ear plugs for you! icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

those of you who shared about your parents losing their hearing made me laugh out loud... my mom, finally, went to get tested... (she always accused me of mumbling, I always ragged on her to get her hearing checked)... she's a trip at movies when she thinks she's "whispering" about this or that person sitting near us...!

She finally went and had 70% loss in both ears! She got some hearing aids (the in the ear kind)... the only problem she has now is she hardly ever wears them!

Paw,

I've lost hearing, too. Particularly my left ear which is closer to the drill when I'm bending over. Occupational hazzard but I don't wear earplugs either. But what the heck.. Now if it were my sight that were going... I'd be upset!!!

sudo

Y'know, I was fortunate over the years, I may have had better than average hearing to begin with, because when I had a hearing test several years ago, I came up about normal, with some extra range in the mids and high ends. Given the volumes I've been exposed to over the years, I gotta wonder.

Hope, I've been using the Hearos I mentioned above for years. Here's a few reviews and some decent online prices if you decide to buy: few Hearos reviews

In browsing around I found this page that pulls a lot of useful information together for musicians in general: HERE. It might be helpful.

The trick for a musician is to protect their ears while still hearing a realistic sound. That's what I liked about the Hearos filter plugs. I can still hear a normal blend of sound, but the volume is reduced. I even wear them at home when I'm practicing at louder volumes for any length of time. I was at Sam Ash awhile back and they had some headset 'headphone' styles in their audio section, you might check them out too.

More old-timers advice - wink2.gif;)--> In a practice or performance environment, it's important for everyone to position their equipment so that it's pointing towards them, without anything inbetween blocking (as much as possible). Guitarists and bassists, etc. P.A. monitor speakers should be near the ones who need to hear them. That sounds obvious, but it's amazing how often bands try to accomodate everything else in the setup BUT their own best setup to hear the music their playing. So everyone slowly creeps up their volumes so they can hear themselves and it gets louder than it needs to be. Drummers are surrounded by their own sound, so hear-plugs that do a good job of filtering are a GOOD idea. icon_smile.gif:)-->

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a website where they will test your hearing for you. It's not meant to replace a doctor's exam but it will give you a "curve" to compare your hearing at different frequencies, left and right.

http://www.onlinehearing.com/html/home.html

Be sure to adjust your computer audio levels before taking the test. (It's easy: double-click the little speaker at the bottom right, set Master Volume to maximum & Wave to 50%) Headphones are recommended because it tests left and right ears separately. The test lasts about 12 minutes.

It's free. You'll need to register providing email address and some basic info, and they will send a password to that address. Your login is your email address.