GreaseSpot Cafe

How's your pantry?

wingnut

Our Emergency 'kit'

Water

Bleach

Propane stove and 6 cans of gas (not in the pantry but at the ready)

Toilet needs as well as washing needs

Cans of meat, veggies. 5 cases

Rice, beans, nuts, raisin,(ewwww) cranberry's, trailmix.

Two can openers

Cash as well as change for phone booths

Juice boxes, snack foods.

Jerky

Two changes of clothes

Plastic tarp, sleeping bags, Puptent, lantern, batteries, radio, flares, candles, matches, metal coffee can, small ax, hammer.

Complete first aid kit

Book of emergency contacts as well as vital information on us.

A map of where gas and water shut off valves are

List of where we'll try to get to.

Car oil

Copies of Insurance and Will, guardianship papers and advanced directive.

Current pictures of each of us

I am many miles from ever seeing a hurricane, but interesting that when I went grocery shopping today the usual stock of shelves seemed lacking. Fresh meat and bread were in pathetic supplies.

While I raised a family I always had a couple weeks food on hand, last couple of years I often have to stop at the store to get enough to cook supper. So watching Katrina and the announcement of becoming a grandpa had me thinking how stupid it is to not be ready for a few days without normal easy access to things we take for granted.

I have all the camping equipment, just decided to stock up on canned goods, maybe some instant coffee and plenty of stuff to make such a time better for myself and maybe a few friends.

Excellent Shell. One more suggestion based on my family's experience during the Loma Preita earthquake. Make up little laminated cards with phone numbers of relatives *outside* of your area and instruct your family to call *them* if they can't get through to you. For about 24 hours after the earthquake, anyone in the Bay Area could call a number outside the area with no problems, but nobody could call in. It has to do with the way the telephone exchanges work. If everyone can touch base with an outgoing call, you can make sure everyone is safe.

let's see... I've got some two year old cans of Campbell's Chicken and Stars soup... a couple of bags of half eaten chips (don't know how old they are)... some of that pasta that looks like tubes, some that looks like the screw things, about six packages of spaghetti and a couple of jars of sauce... some different Emiril's seasoninga... here's a half a bag of old hot dog buns (well, I think that's what they are)... let's see... over here we have a couple of cans of ranch beans (probably six years old)... three cans of chili with no beans... (guess I can add the beans if there's a shortage of gas)... a half a box of honey nut cheerios (about a month old)... some potatoes with the things growing on them... a couple of different hamburger helper dealies... some sugar, some flour, some baking soda...

we've got a nice stockpile of light bulbs here (the new coil-ee ones!)... lots of batteries of different sizes (mostly the AA size icon_biggrin.gif:D-->)...

oh! and a "corded phone"!!! (very important)

guess we're good for a couple of days or so anyway...

My emergency store is almost identical to Shell's except I have a lot of peanut butter, sardines, flour, sugar and coffee.

While she uses propane, I use wood so I have about 5 ricks on hand, a bowsaw and enough gas, 2 cycle oil and bar oil to keep my chainsaw running for a month or two. We also keep a lot of candles and lamp oil on hand.

It's good to keep some liquor and some ammunition stored up because it's good to barter with, although one year, we got iced in so bad it was too slick to stand up outside, so I stood on the back porch and shot possums, rabbits and squirrels to feed the dogs. They couldn't stand up well enough to chase or catch anything themselves. These conditions lasted about 9 weeks up here.

Edited by ArkieRon

quote:
so I stood on the back porch and shot possums, rabbits and squirrels to feed the dogs. They couldn't stand up well enough to chase or catch anything themselves. These conditions lasted about 9 weeks up here.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry....

Don't have a lot of space so don't have all the food storage the Mormon church recommends

But do have an emergency kit with

A gallon propalyne water bag

water purification tablets

A flashlight with it's own copper coil battery inside (you shake it to recharge it)

A flint & steel with a bar of magnesium for fire starting (magnesium burns in water so you can start even wet tinder)

15 day supply of compressed emergency food rations - (little bricks about 2" by 3" that in addition to providing hte necessary calories and nurtrients do not make you thirsty.)

A saw

Medication

CAt food

getting space blankets this week

quote:
Originally posted by Shellon Fockler-North:

I am armed, yes. Hopefully with enough ammunition.

I know I have enough ammo.

On the news this morning was a little story I believe they said from Missippi. A guy with a knife walked up to a guy and said I hear you have a generator. The man replyed would you like to see my gun also. The conversation ended there with the generator owner retaining ownership.

If you don't have a gun go out and buy at least a shotgun.

IMO, anybody who goes out to get a pistol or rifle to protect there family, themselves and there property should take a course on how to safely handle the weapon.

Sometimes emergencies bring out the best in people and sometimes they bring out the worst...

I suggest extra paper plates, and extra pots and pans. You may wish to have a large one to boil water in for washing your cooking items. Side burner on the Propane grill will boil the water.

Diaper wipes are also great to have along with hand sanitizer.

We can make this list full enough to require a SUV to contain it all, however I'd suggest you consider:

No Rinse (brand name) Shampoo. White plastic bottle w/blue printing; find in CVS and other similar stores; shampoo hair w/o water. Pour on, lather, towel dry.

I promise this is an economical way to keep your hair clean. It was used on me for 4 months until I could get in a shower and I was always presentable after my accident.

There are also no/water body towels which you can "bathe" with and be clean.