GreaseSpot Cafe

red neck woman

likeaneagle

I moved here( Virginia) from the mid-west 2 yrs ago....Country music is very big here...I have realy seen Johnny Cash look alikes.......I have met many and found them to be very wonderful people..

life for many here seem so simple, love ya woman and my gun is in the back seat!!

Geesh, what happened to me. I grew up in the city and moved north and took PFAL in 75....Got out of cement city...I have a true romance going on with the country here....It has a price tho.....

To lives in the mountains here you must know your turf..these people do!!!

Getting back to music..it signifies thier lifestyles.

I laughed my butt off the first time I heard RED NECK WOMAN by Gretchen

I got my Christmas light up all year log..she dont need Victoria Secret cause she looks hot in her Target stuff!!

Hell Ya!!!!

what is your favorite country song and artist, if you have any??

On the other hand im outside DC, those people have a saying..If I told you what I do I will have to kill ya!!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too many to mention! I do love Gretchen Wilson and crack up at the lyrics to her songs.

I couldn't possibly mention all the country songs I like either, but a few of my favorites are:

"I'm Gonna Hire a Wino to Decorate Our Home"

and

"I'll Make You the Queen of My Double Wide Trailer"

and

"If I Have a Clean Shirt I Might"

Anyone hear of Robert Earl Keen or James McMurtry? They're more "ya'll-ternative" singer-songwriters...not straight Nashville country. Possibly hard to find if you're not in this neck of the woods, but they are worth hearing.

I remember "Red Necks, White Socks and Blue Ribbon Beer", Ex-70's. Who did that?

:D way too funny!!!!!!! those titles are a killer.

But there are some very sweet songs too!

I have heard some written about our country...being I live close to the government arena and where our Country fought in freedom wars for all may live a quiet an peaceable existence......its very heart touching..some have made me tear.....

some of the country gents put light on their of the love of their wifes, thats truly beholding.:)

How about them Dixie Chicks..ive never heard such awesome harmony!!

My moms family where gospel country singers and I remember reunions where we gathered around and sang w/them..must be the Scotish enfluence..the oldies, Wings of a snow white dove..he sent down his pure sweet love..:)

man, my uncle and aunt gave you chills..especialy when they smiled at each other.

much to be learned and much to be said!!

How about them Dixie Chicks..ive never heard such awesome harmony!!

The Dixie Chicks have great harmony. Two of them have ranchs about 25 miles from here in Bandera. You won't hear them on the radio though, since they bashed President Bush no radio stations will play them.

Country and Western music depicks life. I think it is Chet Atkins who had a song out and the story line was his songs depick his life. Somehow I just don't understand big city getto culture.

I have liked most of Grechin Wilsons stuff up until she came out with"All Jacked Up".

I prefer tha Alternate country // Austin sounds. Regionaly this is close and purer to my heart.

The crazy thing about a lot of country music today. Its rehased rock and roll from the 60's and 70's.

Speaking of Chet Adkins, my Dad owned every album ever made, and he played Chet Adkins stuff DAILY. The kind of Country n Western I have NEVER liked is Porter Wagner. That twang thang always bothered me.

Buck Owens I enjoyed. Its been years, however since I've heard any of his tunes.

I'm pleased to hear Country n Western music has more 'happy lyrics', rather than the sad stuff about loosing one's wife and dog, etc. I've heard if you play those songs backward, they will have happier endings. :unsure:

Robert Earl Keen

Artist/Band: Keen Robert Earl

Lyrics for Song: Copenhagen

Lyrics for Album: The Live Album

Now, I went out last Sunday with my little Mary-Ann

She said please stay still Monday, and grabbed me by my can

She laid a big one on me, suprised me with her tongue,

But her surprise was waitin' there, between my cheek and gum.

Chorus:

Copenhagen, what a wad of flavor.

Copenhagen, you can see it in my smile.

Copenhagen, do yourself a favor.

Chew Copenhagen, drive them pretty girls wild.

So I went to the movies with my little Peggy-Sue,

I had my dip there in my lip just like I always do.

She didn't know that I was spittin' in my Coca-Cola cup,

She took a great big swoller' and threw her popcorn up! Oh!

Chorus:

The moral of this story is so very sad but true.

If you stay 'till breakfast friend, they'll want to marry you.

So try my little method and I promise you no doubt

Dip some Copenhagen if you want to snuff 'em out.

Y'all-ternative music. I'll go along with that! :P

David

Edited by dmiller

When it comes to country music, there (IMO) is no better ever than George Jones and Tammy Wynette as a duo.

Individually they were both good, but as a duo they were unbeatable with the impeccable blending of voices that they had in the songs that they sang.

What they call country music these days is not. Most of the junk you hear on the radio is nothing more than, more than ------

I'm gonna shut up here before I say something aggregiously offensive! :lol:

Suffice it to say, I like the old stuff. Some of the new stuff is good, but painting it all as *country* is making a broad sweep with a wide brush over a select area. :)

David

Edited by dmiller

Josh Turner, Long Black Train.... Hubby and I saw him in Memphis last year at the MidSouth Fair. His voice is as beautiful LIVE as it is on the CD.

He is from SC. I forget the name of the town.

Kenny Rogers!

Hank Williams Jr came to MSU every year when I was growing up and I'm especially fond of him.

I saw Kenny and Dolly perform on a round stage one year - no bad seats in the house!

I've seen Willie, Waylon, George and many others. I agree that the new stuff, mostly, isn't really country, but I do like a lot of it. I love Gretchen's "When I Think of Cheating" - it sounds like the good old time country music I grew up on. :)

David thanks for displaying the "Copenhagen" lyrics for all to see...

I know what you mean about some of the country music coming out of Nashville, but I really like Brad Paisley. We saw him in Vegas a couple of years ago and were blown away by his talent. I didn't care for George and Tammy when I was a kid, but now I can appreciate them. Hank Williams senior was always one of my faves.

Jim Lauderdale and Ralph Stanley, anyone?

70's, what other Austin-type music do you like? Jerry Jeff Walker's "Viva Terilingua" album back in the 70's was one of my favorites. I am so pleased that our 25 year old son has embraced it as well.

Likeaeagle, it's fun discovering "new" music, isn't it?