GreaseSpot Cafe

Old Man Wierwille:an abusive dad?

WordWolf

Ah, Ernst Vierville.

I imagine that there are some New Knoxville old timers (both non-TWI & ex-TWI) that could help us out on this issue. Perhaps a small info request add in the St. Mary’s newspaper would bring some info out of the local Germanic woodpile?

Generally speaking, per Harvard Psychiatrist Dr. Judith Herman, MD, 1:1 cults are far more common, & negatively effect many more people, than the larger varieties such as TWI. See http://www.radcliffe.edu/fellowships/show_...ile=herman.html.

This is of course due to the fact that there are a great number of abusive domestic relationships ongoing at any one time. With the US population being ~ 300,000,000, I wouldn’t be surprised if the figure was in the high 6 figures to low 7 figures. Any of our gsc sociologists could give us a recent valid number.

By 1:1 cults I am referring to most typically domestic wife abuse, but also any permutation or combination of abuse in a dysfunctional family: parent(s) to children; older sibs & ‘uncles’ to younger sibs, especially females; etc. Also, 1:1 cults could be of unrelated persons, typically a male-female relationship with the male abusively dominant. Some recent examples would be Elizabeth Smart, John Lee Malvo, & American Taliban John Walker. The Stockholm Syndrome is very much at work in these detrimental relationships; see http://www.meaning.ca/articles/stockholm_syndrome.htm

Many of the same dynamics of coercive persuasion are in operation in these abusive situations, albeit typically somewhat less sophisticated than in larger cults such as TWI.

So, I wouldn’t be surprised to find out that Ernst was an abusive father. For whatever reason, it seems that the males of Germanic descent are more so inclined to this type of abusive, dysfunctional behavior than those of many other nationalities. The Japanese are similar in this regard.

This is overly simplistic, but perhaps those of either proximate Germanic or Japanese descent have some sort of national inferiorty complex and feel the need to overcompensate to ‘prove’ the fantasy of superiority of their ‘race.’

:o

JK said, far more eloquently that I could...

For whatever reason, it seems that the males of Germanic descent are more so inclined to this type of abusive, dysfunctional behavior than those of many other nationalities.

My understanding and experience is that, in that era, a hard father was a good father. And what constituted hard might very well equal abuse in this day and time.

The info I got this past summer from the locals(won't mention names) was Ernst was an alcoholic(like Otto and VP), 6th grade education, physically battered and abused wife Emma Rein(in NC it is spelled Rhyne), and

children Otto, Harry, Lydia, Sevillia, Victor, and Ruben. He supposedly had drinking buddies on Shelby County Sherrif's department who bullied the school principal(not supertendent as VP claimed)/algebra teacher and had him either resign or be fired by the school board. Wel, poor Victor couldn't go beyond what he was taught. Of course this is 2nd and 3rd hand information/rumor.

TLB,

Well pluck my pickled cabbage & sauerkraut too!!

The likely scenario you describe fits like a hand in a glove, or as Herr Vierville might say, "...es Sitze wie eine Hand in einem Handschuh."

I'm not trying to defend or condemn anybody with this. It's intended to be a general put-it-in-perspective statement.

I know nothing about VPs family environment, but I've heard several horror stories about my own family on both sides. My father's father was very into corporal punishment. His wife called the police on him on a couple of occasions. My mother's mother locked one of my mom's sisters in the closet w/o food or water for 2 days at a time as punishment. Those may have been isolated incidents, but my parents were each 5 yrs older than VP. Times have changed.