GreaseSpot Cafe

martindale

excathedra

i hope this works.

from

http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/ripoff168152.htm

Rip-off Report Corporate Advocacy Business Remediation & Customer Satisfaction Program; ED Magedson, Founder Rip-off Report explains how this program works to benefit consumers & businesses

Health Spas Submitted: 12/16/2005 12:13:29 PM

Modified: 12/17/2005 8:26:28 AM

Bally Total Fitness ripoff Violates privacy, violates collection laws, lied during sales pitch Norwalk California *Consumer Comment ..It's widespread J, seach this site and see

Company

Bally Total Fitness

Address:

ballytotalfitness.com

Norwalk California

U.S.A.

Phone Number:

Ah, where to begin. I started off with the usual sales pitch. They offered me a 3 year membership for about $27/mo. I figured I would go for it, even though they were pushy, and I have heard a lot of bad things about Bally. I figured I was signing a decent enough deal.

I should have been tipped off when they rushed me through the application (I like to read the fine print). They told me I had a 3 day window in which to change my mind. In the contract, was a term where I was to pay an additional $11/mo (plus sales tax) starting in year 2. I know, I should have read it more closely, my fault there, but you certainly should not tell somebody one price, without mentioning that it will go up starting in year 2.

When I missed a payment, not only did I get a phone call (typical), but my parents did also! They never co-signed, but I did put their name down as an emergency contact. If missing a payment is not an emergency, then they had no right to call them.

In the contract is also their privacy policy. They will sell your name, unless you mail back a voucher stating that they not do so. I did that, however, the other day, I got a soliciation for car insurance; an offer open only to Bally members!

So they lied to me when I signed the paperwork (I have heard about that happening a lot), violate collection laws, and are now violating their privacy policy. Am I alone in having these problems, or is this a wide spread problem?

J

Cincinnati, Ohio

U.S.A.

Click here to read other Rip Off Reports on Bally Total Fitness

If you would like to see more Rip-off ReportsTM on Bally Total Fitness, please use the search box below

Rebuttal Consumer Comment

Submitted: 12/17/2005 3:32:17 AM Modified: 12/17/2005 3:32:17 AM

It's widespread J, seach this site and see

Ahh, but before you quit Bally's, you can't miss the opportunity to go by their location in Dayton, Ohio. You are in the same state. It's a once in a lifetime opportunity to see the 'personal trainer' they hired to work there. A picture of him would be much appreciated too by approx 95,000 ex followers of the organization he was fired from before he was hired at Bally's. (Estimates are that 5,000 at most remain still in TWI.)

Ya see, L. Craig Martindale was the leader of The Way International. It was at one point the number 2 religious cult in the world, only one step behind Scientology. The man that bragged he could work at any fortune 500 company (yet now works at Bally's???), but chose to lead God's people and all that nonsense. What he did was lead the pretty women into his bed, most of them not by choice but by cohersion or by getting them under the influence first. He taught the women he was 'The Man of God For This Day and Time' and like David from the Old Test., was equal to a king .. and we all know the king owns everything in the kingdom ... including use of all the women. Men of God have needs and the women were to meet them in any way the man saw fit if his wife was not with him. (Of course he was married, as were many of them.)

Craig crossed the wrong couple though and she told her husband and they exited the cult and filed suit. The exact settlement is secret, but we know the couple are now set for life. Since then a few more lawsuits have been filed and have been or are being settled out of court. TWI doesn't want to go to court for some odd reason ..I wonder why? What possibly could a cult be afraid of? An ex leader who was molesting young, pretty, innocent women? Naaaaahhhh, never!

Bally's must be so proud to have an ex cult leader working for them. I have often wondered why they don't let the fact he works for them be more well known among their members.

Lorraine - Phoenix, Arizona

U.S.A.

REBUTTAL BOX

MY COMPANY HAS BEEN REPORTED!

HOW DO I RESPOND?

Are you an owner, employee or ex-employee with either negative or positive information about the company or can you provide "insider information" on this company? Do you have a consumer suggestion on how to resolve this problem or how to avoid it in the future? ONLY these types of responses will be added to the filed report, and will be posted within 24 hours of receipt. Make your voice heard. Let them know your side, too!

CLICK HERE to Send us your rebuttal on this specific report only.

or

***If you are also a victim of the same company or person,

YOU NEED TO FILE YOUR OWN RIP-OFF REPORT.

CLICK HERE to File your OWN Rip-Off Report

Feel free to send us suggestions and comments to our editorial staff. Technical questions can be addressed to our webmaster. Best if viewed with Netscape 4, Internet Explorer 4, or AOL 4.0. Support for JavaScript is needed to submit and search for reports. Having trouble searching or filing a report? It may be a browser problem. See our FAQ for help

Edited by excathedra

Very interesting report Excathedra.

Looks like the Bally Total Fitness deal is not only a BIG ripoff, but bordering on being a scam to get more money from people who don't read the agreement very well.

Also is this the real area where Craig is one of the "fitness" trainers????

If so, would it be possible to let people know who he is and what he has done so that they can make an informed decision on whether or not to stay? If i was a member and didn't know, i would like to know what kind of deal he was doing to womenand got nailed for.

I'm friendly with the owner of RipOffReport.com and read his site daily. Saw this and had to pass the link on in chat .. nice to see it got posted in here too for all to see.

I posted on that site, but ended up picking up a stalker so had to take a leave from there and only read for awhile till he leaves me alone. I hope others will feel free to post. NO information is given out on you, I exchanged info with the guy who stalked me, it's my own fault and we did it away from that website totally, so there's nothing to fear there. That jerk doesn't post there any longer either after I called and told the EDitor what he was doing to me. In case he reads there still though, please, don't mention my nickname in any posts you may do on that site. I don't need him harassing me more.

There are two ways to post, you can comment via a rebuttal on the thread that's already going, or file your own RipOffReport with the other one and title it whatever you want. The 2nd option would probably be the best way if TWI was going to be talked about more so it doesn't distract from the Bally's tread.

Sucks to be me, I'd love to post but I use my real name when I post there and he knows it, so I don't dare risk it. Well, I guess I could make up a new account with a fake name just to give a thumb's up to the post that's there and any done from the gang in here. That way no one will know who I am .. hmm .. I have some gmail accounts too, so it's doable. :)

I should have been tipped off when they rushed me through the application (I like to read the fine print). They told me I had a 3 day window in which to change my mind.

these days a lot of marketing is based on giving the customer a very limited time and make it so that he/she has to make up his/her mind very quickly. remember years ago...not that many...when each Sunday newspaper would come out with a week's worth of sales? Now a lot of those sales come out daily and some give you only 6 hours or so to snap up their "bargains".

Edited by Lifted Up

This marketing, advertising, & sales b.s. has been going on for a very long time.

John Watson, a pioneer in the behavior modification field, left academia to accept a position at an advertising firm, J. Walter Thompson, circa ~ 1920. The techniques of manipulating humankind’s shortcut capacity for ‘automatic responding’ were now becoming the basis for marketing. The techniques have only been refined since that time & are very much in corporate application, albeit much of it being distinctly unethical.

These unethical marketing, advertising, & sales techniques are described extremely well in University of Arizona psychologist Dr. Richard Cialdini’s book, Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion.

LCM, as a Bally personal trainer, is probably heavily involved in selling the above-mentioned types of contracts. I would imagine that the king of ‘Mo Tech’ does rather well with this unethical selling, no doubt with a focus on women. Presuming he has a base salary & then gets a commission for each personal trainer contract sale, he probably comes away with a decent income, & gets a chance to plug the whole in the ladies’ deficient hedge & relatively untapped resources.

;)

Ballys is a terrible place IMHO. They do not give you a workout place for so much a month. They have you actually sign paperwork for a loan. Your monthly dues are the monthly amount of the loan. They never tell you are are signing up for a loan. If you decide to back out before you pay off the loan, your credit is screwed.

If I walked in to a place to meet up with a personal trainer and saw martinfail, I would turn around and walk out. There is no way in hell I would ever knowingly be in the same building as that BIG ARSE! I would have wayyyy too many questions for his sorry foot.

So craiggers has his own entry in wikipedia? Interesting....

I was looking at their site again <_<

Biblical research, teaching, and fellowship is our ministry, and with it come a myriad of supporting responsibilities to see that God’s Word prevails in our day and time.

Subtle way of saying that your life will no longer be your own and we will be requiring you to perform those supporting responsibilities?

Lack of spiritual strength caused by neglect of the Word of God may today be attributed to the fact that the Bible is not understood when read. People have not been taught how to understand things like figures of speech, Eastern customs, what revelation truly is, and the accuracy of the Word. Our ministry provides this service and direction.
This shows how out of touch they are with what goes on in the modern churches. They have no idea what's being taught, nor that much of it's being taught better, more accurately and with a heck of a lot more love than in TWI.
Since 1942, our ministry has provided Biblical research that is being used throughout the world today.

Does this sound misleading to anyone else?

We are dedicated to setting before people the astonishing accuracy and practicality of God’s Word and letting people decide for themselves whether or not to believe it or use it.
What they don't mention here is that if one decides NOT to believe or "use" it according to how TWI teaches and requires that they are anathema and accursed. It doesn't mention that they will be spiritually blackmailed and that their reputations will be maligned.
We are ever seeking to teach how to better appropriate the promises that God has given us of a more abundant life.

Just listen to what we say and don't look at how we live.

In our fellowships The Way Ministry teaches what we have researched in our over sixty-year history.

Shortly before I left they were making a big deal about how many years TWI has been around. What's funny to me now is that they are pathetically young in the whole scheme of things and that emphasizing just how "young" they are lends absolutely no credibility or stability or integrity to their organization like they seem to think it does. It's laughable to me now how proud I was of those sixty years.

POVing this page.

I want this page's POV removed by the end of the weekend, if possible. Anyone reading this message: please help POV this article ASAP. I have already tried, although weasel statements and rushing are my primary weaknesses....

This category has a lot of potential. We may be able to completely delete or merge all the articles I made about people. Other TWI articles include:

* The Rock of Ages Festival

* Way Productions

* Mark and Avoid

Deckiller 23:52, 9 December 2005 (UTC)

* I'd like to see the POV removed as well. I did some work on it a month ago, but with having had contact with the group, it's very hard work. If you'd like to kick around some ideas or specifics here, I'll try to work with you. Grumpyoldgeek 04:36, 16 December 2005 (UTC)

I was in the group as well. I'll try to start throwing ideas sometime this weekend. Deckiller 00:33, 17 December 2005 (UTC)

POV = Point Of View

Wikipedia is an encyclopedia, so they want the facts and just the facts. BUT it looks like they are looking for some facts! AND anyone can edit and submit information there, so if you're so inclined, looks like they would appreciate your input.

Someone in Hot Lanta (BG?) has already been supplying information, shouldn't we do the same?

I had a very weird experience with Wikipedia. I looked up Rome City, Indiana and it had a small section about TWI having a campus there. The sentance at the end says

"Famous members of The Way, a non denominational biblical research ministry often considered a cult, include model Lake Daily, art dealer Island Weis, rapper D-Tension and former New England Patriots players Tony Collins and Irving Fryer."

I'm rapper D-Tension! When did I get to be so famous? And how was that connection made? Freaky.

FYI TWI is listed in the wikipedia cult page.

Interesting what wickepedia says...

The Rock of Ages Festival was an annual meeting for members of The Way International. At this week-long meeting, members camped out in tents or RVs on The Way International's campus at New Knoxville, Ohio.

The Rock of Ages featured children's events and fellowship, a daily biblical meeting hosted by the organization's president under the "big top" tent, food and entertainment, and bible studies. Tickets cost approximately 100 USD.

The festival was stopped in 1995 for several reasons. One of the most common reasons was that several groups of teenagers were accused of having sexual intercourse throughout the event

Campus? 100 bucks? How about...

Reasons for Mark and Avoid

Debt

Disagreement

Egotistical behavior

Fornication

Homosexuality

Insubordination

Refusal

Numbers 3&4 alone would take out most TWI leadership. This is good.