GreaseSpot Cafe

The Test of Time

Raf

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Kit Sober for pulling out this gem from the GSC archives.

One gem that seems to me now to have stood the test of time is The Full Monty.

Five (or six) guys from England who have fallen on hard times decide to become Chippendale dancers to make some money. That's where the name of the movie comes from. I guess in England, the term naked means Full Monty.

Funny, wity, good tempo through out. :) A family show with no nudity or foul language. A few English words like wanker or mullet head is all.

Thanks Kit Sober for pulling out this gem from the GSC archives.

One gem that seems to me now to have stood the test of time is The Full Monty.

Five (or six) guys from England who have fallen on hard times decide to become Chippendale dancers to make some money. That's where the name of the movie comes from. I guess in England, the term naked means Full Monty.

Funny, wity, good tempo through out. :) A family show with no nudity or foul language. A few English words like wanker or mullet head is all.

I want to make a note. I thought about this post I made today. I'm not sure whether or not my choice was the kind of movie that this thread is looking for.

The obvious ones, Citizen Kane, To Kill A Mockingbird, Mr.Smith Goes to Washington, of course have withstood the test of time.

But How Long should the criteria be to prove whether or not that movie has stood the test?

I think a movie that still is popular in most circles after 7 to 10 years should be eligible for this thread. Example. Jerry McGuire. I think it would require that a movie be circulated at least that long to grow on its own. But, not necessarily 20 or more years.

Raf, (or anyone who would care to contribute, since that thread has been a dinosaur for 7 years now), perhaps we should modify this thread to include some other standards by which we judge the merits of a movie that has or has not withstood the test of time. :)

But How Long should the criteria be.............. to prove whether or not that movie has stood the test?

I think a movie that still is popular in most circles after 7 to 10 years should be eligible for this thread. Example. Jerry McGuire. I think it would require that a movie be circulated at least that long to grow on its own. But, not necessarily 20 or more years.

Any discussion? Do you think movies that have circulated for 7 or so years are long enough to qualify as standing the test of time? Comments? :P Just asking.

Edited by Human without the bean

Some times I find myself watching a movie just because its relaxing, funny, or enjoyable. Say Meet The Parents. Robert De Niro as an ex CIA interrogator with (Ben Stiller), as a male nurse. De Niro is just as good in a funny role as he is in a villain role.

Meet The Parents is followed by Meet The Fockers where Dustin Hoffman and Barbara Streisand meet The Fockers and it's just as stupid if not

stupider (in a funny way)! S0ON the new release of the 3rd installment to this trilogy will greet theaters this December called Little Fockers

Oh sorry. I only meant that Meet The Parents is a movie to stand the test! Sorry I digressed! :mooner:

(mostly just giving people a chance to review this nice thread.)

It's a wonderful life.

Joshua

Ramona and Beezus is a new movie of Beverly Cleary stories I read as a child. Nice movie I liked.

Thanks again Kid Sober for letting us take a look at this antiquated thread!

Totally too many movies to list that have gone by without mentioning. Fantastic find! :doh:

• 3 weeks later...

After Kid Sober revived this thread its almost become dead, but, I've been thinking about Gregory Peck (real name Eldred) and I thought of To Kill A Mockingbird.

Classic movie with heart, and perseverance in the your face kind of stuff. Eldred won the oscar for his performance as the lawyer Atticus Finch. I would say that it has stood the test of time.

The Graduate

This is a movie that never gets old. With the Simon and Garfunkle soundtrack rolling along to keep up with the witty writing and the social satire of the 60's.

Dustin Hoffman puts us in a hypnotic trance with his acting while trying to figure out what to do with his life and how to get the girl.

There's Something About Mary. Simply hysterically funny! :confused: Even only after 12 years this movie has left its mark on me. Family friendly for the most part. (Except for some crude language and sexual situations). Cameron Diaz became a big star out of this. Ben Stiller is delightfully funny. The Cohn Brothers bring us to a place we all used to know and can place ourselves.

• 1 month later...

Die Hard Over 20 years old and Die Hard stills delivers the action with it's intense theatrics. Bruce Willis break out role as the New York cop John McClaine shot him to the top of hollywoods' who's who list. :lol: A great plot along with a great cast made for an incredible movie.

Planes, Trains, & Automobiles, Uncle Buck, and just about every other Adam Hughes comedy. He had a gift for weaving slapstick, character and touching interpersonal relationships into an entertaining film. His movies can be just plain fun or deeply moving depending on how deeply you want to engage them.

Well there's not much moving stuff in the Home Alone series, but they're still pretty entertaining even today.

• 3 months later...

I'd have to say Big with Tom Hanks fits in this realm. Superb acting by Hanks playing a 13 year old boy in a man's body. Hanks acting is excellent when he plays a boy and top:P executive in the rough business of trying to market toys in a adult world. Believable cast to back him up, Hanks is at his best when he gets into these rolls, where we, the audience can escape and bring us out of our reality and take a step back into fantasy. Forest Gump too. I kind of have a crush on Elizabeth Perkins anyway making it just even more fun for me to watch.

Timeless good for children, in my opinion, Walt Disney's version of Chesterton's The Narnia Chronicles, including their new one "Voyage of the Dawn Treader," and "Finding Nemo." These are good enough for my grandchildren.

• 2 weeks later...

"Somewhere In Time", stars the late Christopher Reeve, Jane Seymour and Christopher Plummer. Very good acting, make believe made believable, good plot, very good movie. The movie has a cult (not that kind of cult) following where each year fans get together at the Grand Hotel in Michigan where it was filmed.It's kind of a chick flick. Takes place in the Victorian Era.

• 6 months later...

Just thought about a movie recommended to me by an wayfer ( not sure about now )

THe ultimate warrior movie! This movie is why I'm hooked on Sci-fi, filled

with action and a good script it never fails (for me) to lose it's luster even after 40 or

50 times. :evilshades: < Closest thing to an alien I could find.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

When Harry Met Sally. I watch it 6 or seven times a year. Billy Crystal is very funny. Meg's cute before the lips went around her ears. GroundHog Day Classic Murray. What About Bob is another classic Bill Murray movie.

Silence Of The Lambs is a masterpiece. Finest acting. Gripping and intense. Spellbinding whatever you want to say. Hopkins gives a great performance. Foster is impeccable.

Point Break is one of the greats. Has high profile actors, Swayze, Reeves, McKinley, Busey, Petty. Riveting movie.

• 1 month later...

Can't agree with Point Break, but to each his own.

I will absolutely agree with Groundhog Day, a movie that was not only well-written, but actually changed the English language (Groundhog Day has actually taken on the meaning derived from the film: a day that seems to repeat itself multiple times, as in people who don't learn their lessons and keep making the same mistakes).

You don't have to like the movies I like Raf. That's why we live in a free country and can have an opinion. That being said, you and only two other's have posted anything here in over a year. I thought more people would be excited to talk about some classic movies and share some of them here. But guess not.

As I said, to each his own.

Anyone feel that the Lord of the Rings movies have held up? Or is it too soon?

How about some losers:

Has E.T. held up better than Gandhi?

Has Chariots of Fire held up better than On Golden Pond?

Has Shakespeare In Love held up better than Saving Private Ryan?

Has Brokeback Mountain held up better than Crash?