GreaseSpot Cafe

Y'allbonics

ex70sHouston

The Association of Southern Schools has decided to pursue some of the seemingly endless taxpayer dollar pipeline through Washington designating Southern slang or Y'allbonics, as a language to be taught in all Southern Schools.

The following are excerpts from the Y'allbonics/English dictionary:

HEIDI - (noun) - Greeting

HIRE YEW - Complete sentence. Remainder of greeting. Usage "Heidi, Hire yew?"

BARD - (verb) - Past tence of the infinitive "to borrow". Usage "My brother bard my pickup truck."

JAWJUH - (noun) - The state north of Florida. Capital is Lanner. Usage "My brother from Jawjuh bard my truck."

BAMMER - (noun) - The state west of Jawjuh. Capital is Berminhayum. Usage "A tornader jes went through Bammer an laft $20,000,000 in improvments."

MUNTS - (noun) - A calender division. Usage "My brother from Jawjuh bard mypickup truck, and I ain't herd from him in munts."

THANK - (verb) - Cognitive process. Usage "Ah thank ah'll have a bare."

BARE - (noun) - An alcoholic beverage made of barley, hops, and yeast. Usage "Ah thank ah'll have a bare."

IGNERT - (adjective) - Not smart. See "Arkansas native". Usage "them Bammer boys sure are ignert."

RANCH - (noun) - A tool used for tight'nin' bolts. Usage "I think I left my ranch in the back of that pickup truck my brother from Jawjuh bard a few munts ago."

ALL - (noun) - A petroleum-based lubricant. Usage "I sure hope my brother from Jawjuh puts all in my pickup truck."

FAR - (noun) - A conflagration. Usage "If my brother from Jawjuh don't change the all in my pickup truck, that things gonna catch far."

TAR - (noun) - A rubber wheel. Usage "Gee, I hope that brother of mine from Jawjuh don't git a flat tar in my pickup."

TIRE - (noun) - A tal monument. Usage "Lord willin' and the creek don't rise, I sure hope to see that Eiffel Tire in Parris sometime."

RETARD - (verb) - To stop working. Usage " My grampaw retard at age 65."

FAT - (noun), (verb) - a battle or combat; to engage in battle or combat. Usage "You younguns keep fat'n, n' ah'm gonna whup y'uh."

RATS - (noun) - Entitled power or privilage. Usage "We Southerners are willin' to fat for are rats."

CHEER - (adverb) - In this place. Usage "Just set that bare rat cheer."

FARN - (adjective) - Not domestic. Usage "I cuddint unnerstand a wurd he sed ...must be from some farn country."

DID - (adjective) - Not alive. Usage "He's did Jim."

ARE - (noun) - A colorless, odorless gas Oxygen. Usage "He cain't breath... give him some ARE."

BOB WAR - (noun) - A sharp, twisted cable. Usage "Boy, stay away from that bob war fence."

JEW HERE - (noun) and (verb) contraction. Usage "Jew here that my brother from Jawjuh got a job with that bon war fence cump'ny?"

HAZE - a contraction. Usage " Is Bubba smart?" "Nah...haze ignert. He ain't thanked but a minnit'n 'is laf."

SEED - (verb) - past tense of "to see"

VIEW - contraction (verb) and pronoun. Usage "I ain't never seed New York City...view?"

GUBMINT - (noun) - A bureaucratic institution. Usage "Them gubmint boys shore is ignert."

Have any of you guys noticed how we Southeners like to take a one syllable word and make two syllables out of it? I was noticing this fact this very week. I had one of my not-so-regular patients call up because he had a tooth bothering him. He came in and sure enough it was one of his front teeth that I had been TELLING him was going to start bothering him if he didn't get it fixed. Now, I told him it was going to require a root canal and a crown for a grand total of about $1,400 or he could have his front tooth pulled and start calling himself 'Bubba'. If he had gone on and gotten it fixed when I had told him, it would have set him back a little over $100.

His reaction? One word.. two syllables.. Dey-um!!!

sudo (who gets to say 'I told you so' a LOT)

When I first moved to Texas, someone lent me her copy of How to Speak Southern. She didn't think it was funny, because she spoke exactly as in the book! :lol: A couple that missed ex70's list:

NOME: a child's response to his mother. "Jew break the winner with thishere baseball?" "Nome."

WRETCHED: man's name. "Wretched Burton is a fan actor."

George

Edited by GeorgeStGeorge