GreaseSpot Cafe

Responses and Objective Opinions

I Love Bagpipes

"In view of the dangers involved with trail mix, we have decided to "suggest" that all candidates bring pototoe chips to the class. We believe that the sound department can make any filtering adjustments neccessary to overcome the crunching noises we anticipate. "

But do not, under any circumstances click all of your syllabus's closed or open at the same time. This shoud be done prior to the MOG or MOGETT entering the teaching area.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear Future Advanced Class Grads of 2007:

This is a follow-up letter to the follow-up letter to the follow-up letter regarding your 17 month preparation for the up and coming advanced class. HQ has been inundated with requests from all of you out on the field regarding your snack choices. Due to the high volume of inquiries and the need to make sure things are done decently and in order, we have decided to add another Department here at HQ to handle these requests. From this day forth the present spewth on this topic will be: any questions or requests regarding your snack plans should be sent directly to your HFC (in writing of course) who will pass these on to your BC who will pass these on to your LC who will pass these on to the RC of your particular area. The RC will then pass these to the new Trustee of the Snack Services Department, headed by none other than John Hinder himself. This will be for the Western part of the country.

For those of you who live in the East................

Good lord, I think I just lost my appetite...................

Edited by outofdafog

Raf asked, "I was looking for the line that said 'If there's anything we can do to help you, please let us know.'

Was that in the excerpted portion of the letter?"

That offer was not phrased as such. I guess the author felt the statement in the final paragraph, "...here to assist, encourage and help you attain the goal of becoming an AC graduate" covers the anything we can do to help you. One of my irks is the assumption that that is the goal of the recepient of the letter. The recepient (IMO) would not feel an open door to discuss that this is not the recepient's goal...like anything less than the author's goal is substandard (becasue the author's goal is God's goal). Probably if the recepient brought up his/her desire to NOT attend the class, a very uncomfortable inquiry session would ensue. The recepient would have to come up with justifiable reasons (that would probably be confronted by the inquisitor) as to WHY s/he has made that decision. Again silence reigns, because it is the rare recepient that will want to speak up due to the potential confrontation that it might provoke.

"Was that in the excerpted portion of the letter?"

The only part left out of the letter is, "The ( ) Branch has several candidates that have expressed interest in attending this class." That is the sentence that starts the 3rd paragraph. Patriot posed the question earlier wondering if this letter was given to ALL candidates. The answer to that is still yes, even though this sentence is contained in the letter. Notice the 4th paragraph, first sentence. "Our goal and believing is for all of the candidates to attend this fantastic AC." Since that is their goal and believing this letter was sent to ALL candidates.

What quailifies a candidate? Someone who will be 16 years old by February(?) 2007(?), who has had the new (March, 2006) foundational class (twice) and get all the other classes and home studies in before the academic requirement date (usually a month or so before the actual AC), attends fellowship on a regular basis (2 times(?) per month would be my guess for "regular"), and probably has to be out of debt before the AC...but the debt stuff has not been directly addressed in awhile. Hmmm...in light of all those requirements I can see the logic of a 17 month notice...for those requirements. But not for all that other stuff listed. And please not freaking report backs!!!!!!!! UUGH!! :realmad:

Home Studies are quite extensive (as of 2 years ago). Collaterals (Volumes 1 through 4), JC Is Not God, Are the Dead Alive Now, and RTHST had to be read. Then there were "tests" on each book. One test could be up to 25 (or more) pages long. Patriot probably has more recollection of this than me. Anyway, the tests were sent to a designated Corps person in the state and graded and returned to the student. So home studies would take awhile. The stipulation I didn't like was that you couldn't start the Home Studies until 6 months before the class. If you're a student, that makes it a lot harder (IMO). I felt 9 to 12 months should have been allowed for the home studies. (If someone is gonna' make the rule it should be made so that students can carry it out without compromising other important areas of life....like college/high school studies and jobs.)

Home Studies are quite extensive (as of 2 years ago). Collaterals (Volumes 1 through 4), JC Is Not God, Are the Dead Alive Now, and RTHST had to be read. Then there were "tests" on each book. One test could be up to 25 (or more) pages long. Patriot probably has more recollection of this than me. Anyway, the tests were sent to a designated Corps person in the state and graded and returned to the student. So home studies would take awhile. The stipulation I didn't like was that you couldn't start the Home Studies until 6 months before the class. If you're a student, that makes it a lot harder (IMO). I felt 9 to 12 months should have been allowed for the home studies. (If someone is gonna' make the rule it should be made so that students can carry it out without compromising other important areas of life....like college/high school studies and jobs.)

Now, I'll give them this: if someone's supposed to know the material in

all those books first (which was effectively what happened ANYWAY

before it was a real requirement), then they should have that as a

prerequisite: read and learn the contents of these books.

Back when, I COULD have been tested on the contents of those

books. Instead, the tests I took were divided into 3 sections:

A) PFAL itself-class and Orange/White Books

(I filled in those answers as fast as I could write;

finishing a 90 minute section, complete with triple-checking answers,

in 27 minutes)

B) the Studies in Abundant Living

(I paced myself and finished this in about 47 minutes, including

double-checking answers)

C) the practical: doing Word Studies then and there

(I never liked to rush those, so I deliberately paced myself

to use the entire time, less 3 minutes, and chose the

shortest options, maximizing my time)

Now, I probably COULD have taken tests on the other

books.

Oddly enough, the process of being fully ready to

take tests on all of these was almost antithetical to

vpw's vision. He saw any person as potentially able to

take Foundational, Intermediate, and Advanced classes

all in ONE YEAR.

Me, I saw it-bare minimum-as one year EACH, with

2 years more practical if you want people to actually

spend time on the material.

That's why I buzz-sawed thru the exam-

I didn't even seriously consider taking it until I had

absorbed the material to MY satisfaction.

Actually, I joined a study group of people preparing

for the Advanced Class, and had to drop out due to

the physical details (I couldn't attend without arriving

consistently late, so I bowed out.) The people running

it said it was ok, since, apparently, I was pretty much

ready for it based on my performance to date, and

didn't NEED the study group.

So,

interesting how the vision for taking the Advanced

Class is now 180-degrees from what vpw used to say.