GreaseSpot Cafe

Guitar Talk

socks

Nice! Is this her first guitar? If so, even nicer!

Right now I have an American Texas Special Strat. I think it and the Blues Deluxe were a match made in tone-heaven. :) Next time your at the music store, you gotta give it a listen!

Rick

Bluzeman - Hubby had a Fender Texas Special Strat - had more pickups that a singles' bar! He had problems with it - the finger board started to peel. He took it to a dealer to see what they could do about - they sat on it for 3 months and the Fender rep never offered to do squat about it. To make peace, the dealer made him a great trade on the Telecaster - at least it was a happy ending. Personally, I liked the sound of the TX better - the Telecaster doesn't do it for me, really. It's got a fat sound, but just isn't the same....

JCHEV - Welcome! Good pics! That Line 6 looks like a Strat knock-off - like something Ibanez would have done a few year back! :wink2: Sweet little ax. I don't get the Parker Fly - that horn is a little weird looking, in my opinion. But I guess it's Prince's fav ax, isn't it? And he's got a good sound - he can play a-n-y-t-h-i-n-g and e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g!

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey. I gotta brag a bit. Yesterday at a git together with some new friends here in Juneau, I finally met this guy I have been hearing about. First of all, he is the husband of one of my old shipmates aboard the M/V Matanuska. My friend Suzy had told me of her then boyfriend and how he used to play guitar for Black Oak Arkansas, a Seventies Southern Rock band. Ya'll remember Black Oak Arkansas (BOA)? They did a song called "Jim Dandy To The Rescue" which to me was an okay tune, but not that great IMO. But it was a pretty big hit and they made some real money on it.

Anyway, this guy whom I met, "Dave" Somebody played with BOA in the 80's. I guess and was not one of their original band members. But, I heard him play with a local band here called "Moses Caine", and man he can really play that guitar! Very fast, and very strong when he jammed on an original of theirs which is going down on a CD, and it was song that could really "make it" as a hit in my opinion.

And so, I finally met him at this get together where we had smoked ham, a smoked turkey, great food, and he and I, after becoming friends made a big funny scene trying our very first escargot., which he and I both said afterward; "Well, we tried it, and now we'll never wonder again, for we ain't ever going to eat this again!" Well, we didn't say it in unison or anything, but our verbal sentiments concurred...

Anyway. He wrote this song called "Going Down To Mexico" which will be on this Moses Caine CD, and he said that he has one last track to lay down before that song is done. He said he needed a mariachi sounding trumpet for just a few licks in a few places, and do I know any trumpet players? Well, I told him that I knew one extremely well, and that he was talking to him at that moment....And so, I get to "go to the studio", and bring my son Trevor to play the harmony part on his horn, and we'll get to be on that CD together. Cool

But what was fun was, my wife, ever so sweet and smart, could tell that I was really enjoying this new budding friendship, and snuck out to the car, went home, got her really nice Guild D-50 guitar, grabbed my harmonica belt, and my trumpet, and drove back to what amounted to a fairly good party of people having adult beverages and a good time. And so. She walks out on the deck with my trumpet in one hand (no case), my leather harmonica belt over her shoulder like some kind of a bandolier loaded with big shiny bullets, and her guitar case in the other. And it was cool. And then Dave and I practiced the horn riffs, and then started playing some really nice blues with me on my harps, as well as some "quasi country/Mexican" kind of music and it was a huge hit with all the folks there. He's a great guitarist, and we just had a fine time. An I got to play with as "semi-celebrity........" :dance:

And hey, I'm not sure how all those italics got in there, but, it wasn't my plan...

Sounds like a good time Jonny! Lay down that es-car-got!

We went and saw a local band this weekend - "American Drag", they do original stuff, rock, sort of heavy-ish in spots. Couple of the members play in a church band where we go sometimes, so we wanted to check them out. Interesting stuff.

The guitarists both play Gibsons - a Les Paul and an SG. The singer plays a Strat sometimes, looks like a stock white Fender Strat. It was nice hearing an SG, they really have a great sound, thick, consistent.

One thing I noticed that cracked me up - I pointed it out to my wife and she immediately picked up on how odd it looks. As soon as every song comes to an end, the guitarists start checking their tuning. But it's not the old school "plink pling pling" thing between songs. Now with floor pedal boards and inboard tuners, and floor tuners, all you have to do is bypass the signal to the amp with a stomp, and tune up. These guys, soon as the song ended right to the start of the next, they're looking down, tuning, nodding. Yeah yeah. Next song. It looked funny and for some reason with this band was very noticable to me. But, better to be in tune than not I guess.

. :)

One thing I noticed that cracked me up - I pointed it out to my wife and she immediately picked up on how odd it looks. As soon as every song comes to an end, the guitarists start checking their tuning. But it's not the old school "plink pling pling" thing between songs. Now with floor pedal boards and inboard tuners, and floor tuners, all you have to do is bypass the signal to the amp with a stomp, and tune up. These guys, soon as the song ended right to the start of the next, they're looking down, tuning, nodding. Yeah yeah. Next song. It looked funny and for some reason with this band was very noticable to me. But, better to be in tune than not I guess.

. :)

what meaneth these things that you speak my brother from the sock drawer?

...do you mean that you don't have to know how to tune a guitar anymore?

Edited by Tom Strange

what meaneth these things that you speak my brother from the sock drawer?

...do you mean that you don't have to know how to tune a guitar anymore?

Technically, no. Tuners are made that will sense the range of your tone and assign it the correct tone to comparie itself against. So if you hit your low E, 6th string and it's at D, the tuner will show it below E. Typically it's an arrow at 12 o'clock for the correct tone when you hit it. Some have meters with cool red LED's. You plug in or use the little mic some of them have and play and tune up. They're actually a big asset for the 6-stringer.

Others have switches to set for each of the 6 strings. Set it to the one you want to tune to and start plinking. Again, line up the arrow or the meters and you're done.

But most guitarists will know how to tune, and the peculiarities of their instrument and guitar necks in general. Guitars have to be tuned "sympathetically", as the placement of the frets is done to achieve correct intonation for each note of the scale(s) AND convenience and consistency. As a result a compensation is made to achieve that consistency of placement and nearly all guitars will go slightly out of pitch around the 5 - 7 frets and it will very noticeable again around the 12 fret and above if it's not "tweaked". Intonation adjustments using the bridgle placement and/or "saddles" (yeeee ha!!!) is essential to get it right.

Most guitars are setup to do this, and just some minor tweaking on the notes around those 5th and 7th frets is necessary. If the neck and/or frets are badly made though, forget it. There will be spots that will never be in tune.

But these guys were good players and they definitely had that tuning thing going between songs. It was just funny because if you didn't know what they were doing it looks almost like they were staring at their shoes and nodding their heads to some invisible voice. I guess you had to be there. :biglaugh:

Thank you my brother...

So would one of these "tuners" be something that a "novice" might want to get when he got his first guitar... I have to admit, that as a teenager (back in the dark ages) watching my friends who played tune their guitars I was totally lost and in awe... these things work for acoustics as well?

Absolutely, Strangelo, and with an accuracy and dependability that rivals the finest of Swiss Watches!

Seriously, yes. You can buy a KORG CA30 for about 20 bucks I think and it has a little mic on it, set the tuner on your knee or close by. Just turn it on and start with the low E. The little meter needle point straight up to "0" when you're in tune. It's amazing!! And it's cheap!!! And it's cool being in tune!!!

I had a tuner that was a pipe tuner - not electric - for my first acoustic guitar. I didn't know about the Korg tuners until much later. Most also have a place where you can plug in your cord from your guitar into the tuner and tune it that way and it's supposed to be more accurate. Hubby has one that also plays the note so you can tune by ear, if you want. Of course that tuner doubles as a baby toy - Andreas thinks he's hit pay dirt whenever hubby has left that tuner out!

So, we're going to market guitar cases as cat beds and tuners as baby toys! :dance:

I've got a coupla three tuners here.

One is the *Intellitouch* Tuner -- that clamps to your instrument, and bypasses all sound,

coming from the room you are in, the *noise* around you, the stage, whatever ---

241382.jpg

The main one I use is the Korg CA-30 ---

CA-30-666899227ac090e6d0a220a2908dc206.jpg

I have a *wire* that plugs into it, and clips onto the instrument (I call it a *roach clip wire*),

and it does the same thing -- it bypasses all the music going on, and allows you to tune. :)

You still have to tune the instrument manually --- but these devices only *hear*

the note you are playing on whatever you are picking at the time. :)

And --- it lets you know if a string is outta whack, with the others.

I have one of these *bad boys* to tune my piano with ---

but ya need to know *cents deviation* (coarse, or fine) -- and ---

*pitch selector* -- (note, and octave).

I've had this thing for several years, and still can't figure it out!! :biglaugh:

4a_2.JPG

(It was a gift, so it's not like I bought it -- with grandiose expectations of higher technology!)

Photos! SWEET! Tuners - I've got and older CA30, and a CA40 which has an in and out. That one I've got on the front of my deck, with a magnetic strip on the back so it sits there. I pass through it while recordingI just turn it on, tweak, and continue on.

The little blow thing is an oldie. It's metal and plastic. Does the trick and it don't fail.

I'm in the market for a floor tuner, but not sure what I'll end up with. Fender has one I can get for about 50 bucks, tried it out locally and it seems to do the trick.

What works for me is to make sure my intonation is dead on at the 12th fret, and then tune up my A, then work up from low e to high in a quick sweep with the tuner. I check the G string at the 1st fret, on an E chord, then an A chord, and at that point usually 'pull' the 3rd string to flatten it a tad. Check against a first position D, for the high E, then a bar chord G and A on the 3 and 5 frets. Looking for the 3rd string to settle down. Try a quick bar chord at the 10th and 12th frets and if all is well, I'm good to go.

I notice bass guitar can be touchy in tuning, maybe because I typically have a guitar part written that's in the same range so they fight for the same space. Even a little bit sharp or flat and it's noticeable so I check it a lot so it doesn't drift.

Course it might help if I changed bass strings once in awhile. :biglaugh: The bass is an oldie, a 'beater' that cost about 75 bucks many moons ago, but does the trick. I replaced the bridge on it at one point and that's about it. If I can weasal it out of him I try to get my son's fretless Jazz bass, but this other one works for what I need.

Edited by socks

OK, tuners!

I have been looking at Peterson tuners for a long time now. I had a strobe tuner way back in the 70's (old school rotating disc type) and the Petersons "virtual strobe" tuners look way cool. Can't quite bring myself to spend that much for a tuner though, at least not right now. But in looking at it, it reminded me so much of my pocket pc, same basic size and shape, that I got to searching for strobe tuner software for the PPC.

Well, I didn't find any. But what I DID find was THE STROBOPICK. This little dude is totally awsome! Maybe a cent or 2 less accurate than a Peterson, but the closest you will get for the price. I think I paid 30-35 dollars...don't remember for sure.

Well, a month ago, I took it down to the local music store and my buddy who runs the place just thought it was the best thing since sliced bread! He was running around the store showing it to everyone there. So I go back to the strobopick webpage and see the message that is there now about being temporarily sold out. I sent the dude an email and found out that he was in negotiations with Planet Waves to market it for him and during that time they "worked around" his patent and are now selling thier own (inferior) product. Yes, I know it happens in business all the time but that still doesn't make it right. This guy had one HELL of a good product, the only one of it's kind, and now Planet Waves is talking like they are SO innovative for "comeing up with the idea".

OK, rant off now. :) But I encourage all of you to email your support to Victor and encourage him to make them again and buy one from him.

Now, on to bigger and better things! I got a vintage Tube Screamer this week!(the 808 model) And it...well, uh, screams! :) But since using it with the Blues Deluxe kinda put out more decibles than a 747 taking off, I got an Epiphone Valve Junior. 5 Class A watts of tube tone heaven! I run it through a 4x12 and cranked all the way, is still good enough for studio work with that awsome break up you get with maxed out bottles! And only 99.99 with free shipping from MF! Socks, I remember you talking earlier on this thread about tone...you have GOT to get one of these! No frills, one input, one chicken-head knob for volume, and 4/8/16 ohm outputs for speakers. Sweet!

Rick

Edited by Bluzeman

I'm thinking about going down to the guitar show this weekend. In fact I'm listening to Rick Derringer talk from there on the radio right now talk about how he used to play with Johnny Winter (RD wrote Hang On Sloopy and Rock and Roll Hootchie Coo among others)... I want to look around at some of these you guys have been talking about...

I'm thinking about going down to the guitar show this weekend. In fact I'm listening to Rick Derringer talk from there on the radio right now talk about how he used to play with Johnny Winter (RD wrote Hang On Sloopy and Rock and Roll Hootchie Coo among others)... I want to look around at some of these you guys have been talking about...

Guitar Shows....

Have you been to any? Is it worth it? Or is it a bunch of high-priced used gear?

We signed up with a web site that does them - they were in MA just a few weeks ago, and will be returning shortly... I would love to go to one, but I'm probably the best window shopper you'll ever meet. I can walk away from anything. Hubby, on the other hand, is like a drunken sailor on payday! I know he'd be dangerous at a show. This is what he really wants:

post-323-1145751331_thumb.jpg

Edited by ChasUFarley

Will you guitar gods please humor me? Can you guys tell what song this is just by looking at this?

Interpreted by M. Roulston

Standard Tuning |----------------| = 1 bar in 4/4 time

_Em___________G____________Am____________C______B7

|_____________|______3______|______________|________________|

|_____________|_____________|_____1________|______________0_|

|____0________|____0____0___|___2__________|____0_______2___|

|___2_________|__0___0___0__|__2___________|_2_2__2___1_____|

|__2__________|2____________|_0____0_1_2_3_|_3______2_______|

|_0___0_1_2_3_|3__________3_|______________|________________|

Strum Chords

_Em___________G____________Am____________C_______B7

|_____________|_____________|______________|________________|

|_____________|_____________|______________|________________|

|0____________|4____________|5_____________|9_______8_______|

|2____________|5____________|7_____________|10______7_______|

|2____________|5____________|7_____________|10______9_______|

|0____________|3____________|5_____________|8_______7_______|

|_____________|____3________|______________|________________|

|_____________|_____________|____1_________|_____________0__|

|____0________|___0____0____|___2__________|_____0______2___|

|___2_________|__0____0__0__|__2___________|_2_2___2___1____|

|__2__________|_2___________|_0____0_1_2_3_|_3_______2______|

|_0____0_1_2_3|_3_________3_|______________|________________|

Strum Chords + lead (this bit needs work)

Em___________G_____________Am____________C______B7

|_____________|_____________|______________|_______________|

|_____________|_____________|______________|_______________|

|_0___________|_4___________|_5____________|_9______8______|

|_2___________|_5___________|_7____________|_10_____7______|

|_2___________|_5___________|_7____________|_10_____9______|

|_0___________|_3___________|_5____________|_8______7______|

Edited by Tom Strange

that's it my brother from the sock drawer... you answered it while I was still trying to get it to all line up... (I bow humbly before you)...

now... you can just look at those numbers and lines and "hear" it in your head? or do you have to pick it?

...oh... and what do you guys think of Alvin Lee? OK or pretty good?

(I guess I should've also added 'he's not any good')

Rick Derringer - love his playing. Highly recommended listening - "Jump Jump Jump" from the Live at Chaney Hall release. Odd lyrics but the guitar playing is dragonfly-friendly. :)

Tom and Chas, I like to visit shows. They're a blast! One I always catch is the Luthiers show in Windsor California. Great showplace. It's a good place to feel, fondle and experience Stuff. Did you go? Did you feel The Love?

Hmmmm, I guess I can hear it. Although there's a few songs that come to mind that would fit that progression, for some reason I'm thinking Cat Stevens, not sure which tune. I'm cursed with remembering everything I've ever heard if I actually stopped and listened to it. I think. If I'd forgotten it, how would I remember it? :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Alvin Lee - I do like him, liked him should say, haven't heard much of his stuff lately. Saw them at the old Fillmore in the late 60's.....are you learning that tune?

Edited by socks