|_0____0_1_2_3|_3_________3_|______________|________________|

_Em___________G____________Am____________C_______B7

|_____________|____3________|______________|________________|

|_____________|_____________|____1_________|_____________0__|

|____0________|___0____0____|___2__________|_____0______2___|

|___2_________|__0____0__0__|__2___________|_2_2___2___1____|

|__2__________|_2___________|_0____0_1_2_3_|_3_______2______|

|_0____0_1_2_3|_3_________3_|______________|________________|

Strum Chords + lead (this bit needs work)

Em___________G_____________Am____________C______B7

|_____________|_____________|______________|_______________|

|_____________|_____________|______________|_______________|

|_0___________|_4___________|_5____________|_9______8______|

|_2___________|_5___________|_7____________|_10_____7______|

|_2___________|_5___________|_7____________|_10_____9______|

|_0___________|_3___________|_5____________|_8______7______|

The 6 lines (horizontal) are your guitar strings. (the top one is your *small* E string).

The numbers on the various lines, are the frets you put your fingers on, to either make a chord, or pick a melody. :)

(I ain't no *God* either -- but that's how tabulature works!)

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Socks, alas... I didn't make it to the show... I was too afraid I'd "just buy something"... and I really want to go and feel some (like the one you got for your daughter) but there's quite a few large guitar stores around here so... soon...

And that means I'm also not learning it... YET! I would like to learn it because I've always liked the melody... and listening to it in my head it does kind of remind me of Cat Stevens... I'd love to be able to learn all of the songs on "Tea for the Tillerman"... (especially 'Fathers and Sons', is that the name of that song?)

...and 'America' (Paul Simon's, not the anthem)... I've always wanted to be able to play that...

That's so neat that you guys can "hear" it just by looking at the tabulature... maybe I can do that someday...

In time, my brother. When the player is ready, the instrument will come. :sleep1:

Plug Number Two, and Yamaha needs to start paying me - that 720 is a great value for the dough. I just got it out off her stand and gave it a strum. Perhaps it will be the One for you.

Listening is learning. The relationships become embedded in your brain, familiar. Without knowing what it is, you know how it sounds. The two come together, wallah. Ya gotcha muzik. :)

Tom - Tab can be tricky. There's lots of places on the net to get it for free where people have intrepreted their version of it. Sometimes it's good - sometimes it just sucks eggs. The thing I hate about bad tab, is that some twit has copied it, changed it a little, and reposted it as "not as bad as it was" tab. You can print off ten versions of the same song and not really be on the mark, still! BUT if you get mags like Guitar World, you will always get good tab in them - not the guesswork you may find on line...

Hey. Have any of you ever heard of the band "Del Castillo"? Damn man! Those guys are awesome! A friend of mine from Austin sent me a CD of them entitled "Del Castillo" (aptly named), and the guitars on there are extroardinary! It's all a "Spanish sound" but the speed and taste is perhaps the most extroardinary guitar work I have ever heard. Socks, you ever heard of 'em? I know you woul;d totally love those guys. Maybe I can find a link. Hold on:

http://www.delcastillomusic.com/

Man, these guys are just fantastic. Makes wanna be a Mexican or somethin!

Yup, did. I like them, the songs "Brotherhood" and "Talkin' to Ya!" especially that I listened to. Talking to Ya has a ring of Santana's "Jingo Ba"....till they go into the two-part guitar solo - :knuddel: yikes! Very nice. :dance:

I could hear Santana doing one of his guest-star albums with them and they'd COOK. Lose the Rob Thomas Fuh-gedaboudit guy - Del Castillo have a real band sound that would fit natually with his thing.

I like the driving rhythm percussion drive, with the tight bass.

Nice stuff! Thanks!

Edited by socks

Juzt noticed - thread has 363 posts and 3,563 views. That's "about" 10 views per post...?

I tested the Tube Screamer, and am seriously considering a purchase Bluzeman! Very nice, everything you said, and from what I've read a near essential once it's put into the chain. I'm "sold' figuratively speaking. :dance:

Remember earlier in this thread when we were talking about the theremin?

Check this out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/THEREMIN-Electronic-IN...1QQcmdZViewItem

(There's sound in this link, above, so have your earbuds in or whatever...)

It's too cool - and sorta creepy!

Wasn't someone here building a theremin? Todd?

===========================

Socks - interesting point about the stats - it's a good thread - one of my favs in a while - it's interesting to see what people are into and what makes them tick...

===========================

Hubby got asked to accompany the school chorus tomorrow night playing "Dust in the Wind". After trying out his acoustics with the song, I finally talked him into using his 12-string, dropping an acoustic pickup in the sound hole, and plugging it into his Fender Prosonic amp - it sounds like a million bucks! That amp is really a great acoustic amp and has a neat vintage-like vibe. I wish I could get a recording of it for y'all - it does the song justice...

Remember earlier in this thread when we were talking about the theremin?

Check this out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/THEREMIN-Electronic-IN...1QQcmdZViewItem

(There's sound in this link, above, so have your earbuds in or whatever...)

It's too cool - and sorta creepy!

Wasn't someone here building a theremin? Todd?

I just completed the electronic work to my theremin about 3 weeks ago, and haven't been able to stop playing it since then. It is a very cool, incredible instrument, and very enjoyable to play. It can be used for "effects", and/or for playing serious music. I've been practicing mostly pieces of classical melodies (William Billing's "Chester" and "When Jesus Wept", Mussorgsky's "Pictures at an Exhibition", a little Beethoven..."Over the Rainbow", any melody I can recall in my head). Still developing my aerial fingering technique. But so far it's proven rather easy to play, and the sound is very unique, depending on the octave range, a synthesis between a violin, a cello, and perhaps certain wind instruments.

If you're thinking of trying one these things out, don't bother with the "pitch" antenna only models (like the one linked to Ebay)- go with one with both a "pitch" and "volume" antenna, such as the Moog Etherwave (in the $350 price range). Or if you're brave, and want to save a couple bucks, and don't mind a bit of do-it-yourself work, the Paia "Theremax" kit is an excellent bargain (approx. $130, if you build your own case).

Danny

Awright, anyone still here? The Invisible One - where did you start building your Theremin, from scratch, a kit? Also, how do you amplify the sound of yours? does it have a preamp and output or...?

And how's the 12 string gig go? Dust in the Wind is a classic., would sound nice on a 12 string.

I took an hour or so to rewire the 9 volt battery pack for the Fernandes's "Sustainer" unit. About the only thing they didn't think of was the wiring for the plug/clip, which was just a little too short to easily get the battery replacement done in the back without laying it flat and doing. It's doable from a sitting position with the guitar in your lap but the wires were tight. Access is great, but the clip wire not so. It's been a few years and it finally developed a short so I added two longer wires and voilah. It's be fine now.

Got an email asking more what it sounds like. Fernandes has some sound samples on their site, but they're kinda funky. If I get hooked up tonight I'll try to put up a sample're 2.

Hi Socks,

After about 2-3 years of wanting one of these things, I finally ordered the 'partial case' "Theremax" kit from Paia Electronics http://www.paia.com/ 3 months ago, which comprised of the circuit board, a big 'ole bag of resistors/capacitors/diodes/ transistors/oscillators and what-not, a front control panel plate, potentiometers and jacks. I opted to save a few bucks by designing my own wooden case (the final model which I've yet to complete). A couple months prior to getting the kit, I had downloaded and reviewed the pdf version of the manual from Paia's site, as well as reviewing a couple of mod sites (and picking up some parts to do these mods as well).

I wanted to incorporate some of the mods from the top, to save trouble later in taking the board apart to add any improvements. I gathered a decent idea of what this instrument's strengths and weaknesses were from reading the experiences of others who had also built the kit, at the forums at "Thereminworld" and from having been on the Theremin "Levnet" mailing list. I think all this obsessive preparation (and taking a couple weeks to solder everything onto the circuit board) paid off, because this thing is running beautifully.

I'm also using a custom-made pitch rod (a 17" 3/8 solid brass rod, which I had my daughter take to her machine shop at her tech school to have one end lathed and threaded, for fitting into the cabinet).

One drawback with the copper stock antennae that came with the kit is that they are too thin and flimsy.

The thicker gauge rod ( designed to the same dimensions as the classic RCA Theremins) makes a significant improvement for the instrument's playability. I've still yet to add a brass "volume loop", but in the meantime, I'm using a metal plate to control the volume.

The instrument requires an amplifier, and at the moment I've got a line running into the tape input of my home stereo, which is working fine for now, until I invest in a decent keyboard amplifier.

One other incredible feature that the Paia model has is a "CV out" jack and control, which apparently can be plugged into a synthesizer so one can play other voices with the movement of one's hands - hence this Theremin also being called a "gestural controller". But I've much to learn about synthesizers, so it will be interesting to try this feature out further down the road.

BTW, some of the old gospel hymns sound fantastic on this thing, like "In the Garden". At some point I'll muster up the courage to record some of this stuff on my computer and post a couple samples.

These theremins really are very addicting, and a lot of fun to play. I don't think I've ever encountered an easier instrument, and one so expressive. Whatever you can think, you can play. It's far easier for me to use than even a keyboard.

Danny