GreaseSpot Cafe

Guitar Talk

socks

Socks -- The 12-string gig went very well. Hubby may have additional gigs off it with a small country recording studio here in NH over the summer as a hired gun. Of course he's tickled pink - I guess some student's dad is a manager or something. Anyhow, even the kids thought the 12-string thru the Prosonic was pretty righteous sounding... I wanted to go but couldn't make it. Incidentally, it was also hubby's b-day - I think it was a special day for him - it's not often that the school asks him to join them for things like this and he felt honored they had asked him.

I just got a new little toy today we're going to play with. Are you ready for this? It's an iTalk - connects to an iPod for recording, but this has a pre-amp feature and a jack input. Hubby is going to put an adapter on his DigiTech and connect it to the iTalk, then connect the DigiTech to the guitar to record to the iPod harddrive. Should be interesting... I'll let you know how it goes. So far I'm really impressed with the iTalk - great sound for such a little mic!

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OOHHH! OOHH! OOOHHHHH!

GUESS WHAT?!

Hubby's getting me a bass amp for Mother's Day!

I think he's getting me a little Crate amp - whoo-hoo!

I've been using his little Peavey Ultra combo amp (30W, I think...) but couldn't turn it past 2 or 3 for fear it would blow a speaker - so he's getting me my own amp this weekend! YIPPEE!

I'll post more about it when it gets here - I'm excited!

Oh, no...

I just realized something...

I've caught the disease...

I've got... Gear Acquisition Syndrome! OH NO!

Well... I didn't get the Crate amp...

I got something better!

One of these:

0224503000_xl-74b283258086d59a05e682deb5b842e9.jpg

Here's the specs:

Series: Fender Bassman

Circuitry: Solid State

Speaker Configuration: 1 x 15

Power: 100W

Channels: Not Available

Dimensions: Not Available

Weight: 65 lbs.

Features:

EFX loop

4-Ohm Eminence speaker, Piezo horn, Active/passive input pad selector, Gain; bass; treble; parametric mid control (mid level & frequency), Compressor-limiter, Master volume, Tuner out jack, Tuner mute with flashing indicator, Power amp clip indicator (dual led yellow/red), Compressor level indicator, Preamp clip indicator, XLR line-out, Black Tolex, Metal grill.

We went to Guitar Center yesterday and decided the Crate was too small. We test drove a Fender Rumble 60W bass amp. It was a very rainy Saturday and the place was packed. We brought my Ibanez Roadster Bass along - it got a lot of looks and comments - I was a proud mommy!

Anyhow, there were a couple of choads who were plugged into horribly loud amps with very cheezy guitars - they sounded like cats in heat. The Fender Rumble couldn't be heard above the din, even at the highest settings and with your ear right in front of the cab. We started looking at used equipment, and that's when we found the Bassman - mine looks like the picture - and it was only $325! (They went for $599 new) It sounds great with my Roadster - can't beat the tone - nice and warm, with a crisp edge - just perfect!

And for once, I'm louder than hubby! LOL!

Beautiful amp Mom! :) You'll get some nice sound out of that, I'm sure. GREAT!

I'm way behind on my reading here, but this is a great Mom's day gift AND at a great price. 'S all good.

Those extra watts will give you lots of headroom for the your sound, as you likely won't have to drive the amp at full bore all the time. That cushion will allow your Ibanez sound to stay sweet! But you'll have some extra oomph when you want it.

The metal grilles are nice too, to protect the speakers, makes packing it out an easier proposition.

The Guitar Center din. :confused: It never ceases to amaze me how low these kids turn everything up the second they plug in. :biglaugh: Kids, watt're we gonna do with 'em?

We're out the door here soon, hope everyone has a great day. Happy Mom's Day, and congratulations!!

Beautiful amp Mom! :) You'll get some nice sound out of that, I'm sure. GREAT!

I'm way behind on my reading here, but this is a great Mom's day gift AND at a great price. 'S all good.

Those extra watts will give you lots of headroom for the your sound, as you likely won't have to drive the amp at full bore all the time. That cushion will allow your Ibanez sound to stay sweet! But you'll have some extra oomph when you want it.

The metal grilles are nice too, to protect the speakers, makes packing it out an easier proposition.

The Guitar Center din. :confused: It never ceases to amaze me how low these kids turn everything up the second they plug in. :biglaugh: Kids, watt're we gonna do with 'em?

We're out the door here soon, hope everyone has a great day. Happy Mom's Day, and congratulations!!

Actually... the guys were in the early 50's and late 40's! LOL!

It made me think of the scene in Wayne's World when they're in the music store with the sign "NO STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN" or something like that... One guy was wailing away on a trainwreck version of "Little Wing" - that should be illegal, unless you can sound as good as or better than Hendrix (and if you sound better than Hendrix, you're probably a pro and get your gear from a custom shop!)

Dig the sig too, Bluzeman!

Old dudes cranking it? Ha! I was at a Guitar Center once where there was so much din it was almost unbelievable. Around every aisle there was someone just whackin' away in their own little world. Finally, I went up to the 2nd floor where the effects were and looked out over the railing on this sea of hair and guitars, and one of the floor reps was plugging in, and had this huge smile on his face, you could see he was up to something. He plugged into this big stack in the middle of the floor and was twiddling the knobs, turning it up as it turned out, to 10. And he hit this huge E chord that rattled the walls, literally drowning everything else out. He hit it a couple more times and the room went dead silent. Whole store, doink. Then he turned the amp down and off and unplugged and slowly but surely the din started up again. As I was leaving later I asked him what he was doing and he said once a day he has to do that, or else he'd go crazy. :biglaugh:

How's that ITalk working out Chas?

Invisible Dan, the CV out sounds like a great idea. So, you could assign midi sounds to the output? That would be very interesting.

Invisible Dan, the CV out sounds like a great idea. So, you could assign midi sounds to the output? That would be very interesting.

Socks- apparently there are a couple of ways (or more) of doing this, but I haven't quite figured that out just yet (lol). I'll be gathering some info in the weeks ahead. I don't know if I have to invest in a old analogue synth, or a CV to midi converter or what. Hopefully there's a simple (and preferably not too expensive) way of doing this. It does sound like a very fascinating feature, to be able to produce other instrument sounds via the waving of one's hands. It will be a blast for multitrack recording once I get this all sorted out. And then, I'm entertaining thoughts about upgrading my multitrack equipment.

Yep, "gear acquisition syndrome". It's incurable.

:)

Danny

They DO have some strange names. I actually own a Big Muff Pi (don't know how to make the "pi" symbol here). It's a reissue though. I wish I still had the one I owned back in the 70's. It would probably be worth a good bit by now.

For what it's worth, the other day I plugged in to the Tube Screamer and then out to the Big Muff. Set everything on the Muff to full open, and the TS to full open except volume, it was about 12:00. Talk about a gnarly, rude kind of flashback-inducing fuzz! :biglaugh:

Rick

Edited to change 6:00 to 12:00. Good thing all my clocks are digital. :)

Edited by Bluzeman

Socks, you jumping dude you! I looked at your link (nice name :) in light of the product btw) and these jumped out at me.

TX-2 Butt Probe. Possibly the most offensive product released at this year's NAMM, the TX-2 promises to be "far more extreme than the famed Sherman Filterbank, and far more tube-freaky than your mother's enema kit."

Barbour notes, "Face it, butt-probing is a worldwide everyday amusement. And clearly, Americans love to have their butts probed. Look at the freaks they vote into political power."

And all I can say is I'm glad Rick wasn't talking about this device the other night also. I told him to stop saying Big Muff Pi. :biglaugh:

Geez. You all are so much more savvy than I am with all of the electronic gizmos. Must be fun to be up on alla that. All I have to my name as far as "musical electronic gizmos" is my Sure Green Bullet microphone. One day when the kids are gone and out of the nest I will be able to buy some stuff...

Edited by Jonny Lingo

Geez Socks, never heard of Norton Buffalo. Guess I been up here in the Bush too long. Been thinkin of movin to Texas though. Gettin tired of the Cold and the Wet. Lotta good music doen in Austin I hear...

And so, I will now look up Norton Buffalo.....He's probly awesome!

"Probably". I hates wrongly spelled words...

Pro'lly is! :biglaugh: Hey, he's a good harp player, bet you'd like him. Mellow 'tude, great chops.

Well, the weekend is rolling on out and making way for the week-start. Been messing around, again.

Got a tune, one of several underway. Not quite the sound I want, but getting there. I'm looking for a sound that emulates gratuitous violence, on a guitar. Like in a movie where you think "well, I didn't really need to see THAT!" and then hit, "rewind". :dance: Need that Tube Screamer!! This shortie clip is the beginning -

it's called

12:01 ... sort of a GS joke. :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Edited by socks

OK --- question here. I need a better amp than the one I have for this ---

fender%20ashbury%20blue.jpg

Mine is actually a Guild Ashbory, but it looks the same. Just got it back from the *fix-it* shop.

Had a coupla loose wires inside that needed soldering, and that's been done.

Now -- the only amp I have here is a Crate ($99.00 special), and it doesn't deliver the sound.

Have been reading (with interest) about the tube amps, etc, ---

but I'm *electronically* impaired. I'd like something better for this thing, but ---

I know nothing about amps. What would work good for a bass like this??

Do I have to spend a lot to get a decent one?

Or can a decent one be found without dropping a bundle of money?

I took it to the local Schmidt's music store -- but true to form --

other customers were plugged in, and I couldn't hear myself think --

much less play!! :(

So I thought I'd toss out the question here. Is there a certain brand, or type to look for?

Might help me *cut to the quick*, and spend less time trying to decide. :)

Thank you in advance.