GreaseSpot Cafe

Guitar Talk

socks

Things to love about guitars...

They're held. Cradled, really. Gently, firmly. Personally.

They're mostly wood, and were once out under God's blue sky, growing and living.

They age, and if well made, gracefully.

They're a reflection of their makers and players - they have necks, heads, bodies.

They can be shiny and glossy and beautiful. Natural and smooth and beautiful. Dark, light, everything in between.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Socks,

I know what you mean about guitars. I'm still in the process of putting finishing touchings on my Theremin case, and am even contemplating picking up some nice looking pickguard material to put on the front face plate, in an attempt to give it a personality like an actual instrument rather than being a mere box of electronics.

My last file was a short song, though I wondering how big the file was that you downloaded.

Perhaps it didn't upload entirely (I may have passed some limit on uploads).

Danny

Yes, it seems short, I'll try it again. That sound is very bright, responsive. Nice.

The personality of an instrument is always unique, "who" it is. The tuning that goes into a handmade instrument is such a big part of it. I've found assembly line guitars have them too, based on the template design. But because wood has so many variables, even when controlled, there's always an individual "soul" in each one. :) Quietly waiting.

On the other hand, it's a hunk of glued wood and a little metal and stuff here and there. But anything built with intelligence and purpose is going to have it's day, so to speak.

It may be as planned, or a complete surprise. Like electric guitars, and Telecasters. I think I like them because they were designed to be simple, straight forward and consistent in their tone and playability. Yet, they're contrary lovers. :) not to be courted lightly or to reveal their secrets to the casual acquaintance. If you want the sound you've got to do the work. But, in the words of those great philosophers "Ratt", "Loving you's a dirty job, baby, and I'm the man to do it". :biglaugh:

But Tele's at their heart are the Girl just like the Girl that married dear old Dad. They're pretty much a complete package. Affordable, but only for awhile. If you get the Right One and walk the aisle with her, no amount of money will ever buy her away.

And of course, there's others....SO many more.

Edited by socks

Chatty, I know you're an EC fan, and I heard this one online this weekend. I'm unable to keep up with his releases these days, and hadn't heard it before.

EC of the velvet voice and hand....and the "One Track Mind"

It's from his new CD "Back Home", of which I'm sadly disappointed. This song is one of the better ones but the overall album is something I'd be disappointed in him if he continued. I don't know what he was trying to do in it Socks but this fan hopes he never tries it again. :blink:

I love your description (above post) of a guitar......you get it don't ya! Guitars..... :wub:

(edits and me :( )

Edited by ChattyKathy

Very nice performance, Even! Clams, with a nice white wine sauce, aaaah! Can't hear them, it's well done, brother!

Chas, there's clams and there's "hogs". :biglaugh: Hogs be the BAD ones! But nary a shelled friend or a curled tail in that one!

Chatty, I know you're an EC fan, and I heard this one online this weekend. I'm unable to keep up with his releases these days, and hadn't heard it before.

EC of the velvet voice and hand....and the "One Track Mind"

Socks --

A little Shellfish Ed 101 for you --

Really BIG clams are called "quahog" (pronounced CO'-hawg). That's probaby where the "hog" comes from that you're referring to. (Only a real Maine-ah would know this!) :)

Still... a silly term for a fat finger moment.... :wink2:

Yah, Chatty, I checked it out - Back Home is a mild pop collection. I like that tune, as it's kinda funky, uses his voice to good effect and gets some licks in at the end. But he's prone to doing these kinds of releases, and I has to confess while they're not great, they allow him a reasonably dignified career at his age. I admire the ability to maintain a career as he has, while keeping the integrity of his earlier playing intact.

It's hard not to like Clapton. "Have You Heard" with the bluesbreakers, "White Room" with Cream show his range and emotional ties to his music. But then he's got quite a few snoozers too. For years he was kind of like the Ringo Starr of guitar - you knew he could play, but he was kind of idling. Then he'd share the stage, and always graciously it seemed, yet be one round away from a serious burning. (example, the Crossroads performance with Carlos Santana, not the most creative musician but one who's very serious on the get-down when he plays. EC had to crank it up a notch, nice to see)

Still, anyone who's got the nick "God" has something to deal with. Expectations have always been high. Seeing the televised concert of the Cream reunion was a moderate disappointment. Nice to see them playing, doing the tunes. But his earlier tone and fire is pretty much patented now and achievable with very little effort.

So what's a diety to do? :) He does a good job of being himself it seems. He's always seemed to emit an air of meloncholia, not uncommon amongst musicians. On one extreme you could almost see him fading out and away, deep into himself. He's certainly not the "greatest" guitarist in the world, and he knows that. But he's made a significant mark. So he probably has to balance the desire of everyone to get one last great guitar-god performance out of him with just doing what he enjoys, playing the guitar.

I would hazard a guess that he's surrounded himself with people that keep him engaged, moving, playing and recording, getting stuff done. Some of that comes out in releases like this I think.

My 10 cents. :wave:

Edited by socks

That's some 10 cents worth there! :)

I've always had a love hate relationship with his music. This one caught me off guard. I'd hoped he'd just stay with Blues from now on. He seems so relaxed and at home with himself.

He's done some mellow stuff I loved mixed in with some funky beats on "Pilgrim." Are you familiar with that CD? I'd play something from it but don't have it on my laptop and that's what I'm on now.

I've heard those mentioned songs, excellent examples. And I will skip some of his songs even now if I have easy access.

He's not the greatest guitarist agreed. It's his soul that comes out when he loves what he's doing. I bet he didn't love putting together some of those songs on "Back Home."

Maybe the next one will be back to Blues. :unsure:

I hear ya Chatty. EC's really got the "heart" that comes through in his playing. He does blues the best, and when it informs and sets the foundation for other stuff, he can really take off. He needs a song, a place to put down and play.

Like on that tune, One Track Mind. It's in a great guitar key, which figures. At the end he comes in on the verse, which is a C# minor turnaround, lots of space for soloing and you figure he's going to hit that spot somewhere in the song.

But the turnaround to the hook - A, A minor, E, F#7, A, A/B is SO sweet. The dobro/slide takes it through the vocal parts, but that section holds a lot of gold in it and I'd have liked to hear what he could do with it. It's got that feel where it could go on and on, sort of a major/minor "Badge" thing almost.

That's what's tough for a lot of musicians, the struggle to find a "home" for their playing. One of the best gigs, I think, for an instrumentalist is accompanying a singer/songwriter, like a Norah Jones, or James Taylor. Jackson Browne, Gregg Allman, Sheryl Crow, Tom Petty, Shawn Colvin. They have great bands, and typically very unique guitarists who craft their playing to the songs and styles they play on.

I'm just ramblin'. Ramblin' on my mind. :)

Edited by socks

Being a Cream fan from way back I really enjoyed Cream: Disraeli Gears on DVD - it's the story of the making of the Disraeli Gears album...Besides the interviews it was neat hearing the background behind the writing of the songs.

I hear ya Chatty. EC's really got the "heart" that comes through in his playing. He does blues the best, and when it informs and sets the foundation for other stuff, he can really take off. He needs a song, a place to put down and play.

Like on that tune, One Track Mind. It's in a great guitar key, which figures. At the end he comes in on the verse, which is a C# minor turnaround, lots of space for soloing and you figure he's going to hit that spot somewhere in the song.

But the turnaround to the hook - A, A minor, E, F#7, A, A/B is SO sweet. The dobro/slide takes it through the vocal parts, but that section holds a lot of gold in it and I'd have liked to hear what he could do with it. It's got that feel where it could go on and on, sort of a major/minor "Badge" thing almost.

I'm just ramblin'. Ramblin' on my mind. :)

Ramble on please.....it's delightful to read.

"Badge" :wub:

I think the CD didn't have his heart like he can give. But then I'll be crazy for his next one and forget this one. :)

Being a Cream fan from way back I really enjoyed Cream: Disraeli Gears on DVD - it's the story of the making of the Disraeli Gears album...Besides the interviews it was neat hearing the background behind the writing of the songs.

I'll have to look for that. Thank you. Cream did some awesome music.

But may I ask if you could opt a larger print please. :redface:

Dear Sockster,

I want to let you know that I was only being my silly self last night about your beautiful guitar thread. :(

I want to say that I am sporting a wonderful 4 lovely lushous callouses at the tips of left hand fingers.

Also,...

not bragging here...

but

I'M GOING TO SEE KEB MO AND BONNIE RAITT at the Montreal Jazz Festival :jump:

Well, I'm always intrigued when famous musicians mention who influenced them. Eric was talking about Loving Spoonful having an influence on him - and the song "Summer in the City" - Eric liked the guitar part and it somehow morphed into the chords of "Tales of Brave Ulysses."

Being a Clapton, Harrison, Gilmore, Trower, Page, Beck, et. al fan as well, I've always noticed something and wondered why...

WHY is it that BRITISH guitarist can capture the blues sound sooooo well?

Now, I associate the blues with more of the Memphis or Southern Blues sound - sorta like a Spiritual. But yet these guys all pretty much nail the sound and they're from the other side of the pond - I think Page probably has the best handle on things, but that could be another subject all together. At any rate, it's always something that's sorta mystified me.... Any ideas?

Dear Sockster,

I want to let you know that I was only being my silly self last night about your beautiful guitar thread. :(

I want to say that I am sporting a wonderful 4 lovely lushous callouses at the tips of left hand fingers.

Also,...

not bragging here...

but

I'M GOING TO SEE KEB MO AND BONNIE RAITT at the Montreal Jazz Festival :jump:

Keb Mo -- I love his stuff! OMG - great guitarist - he can make it talk, sing, and even swear! I've got a couple of his CD's and it's some of my favorite stuff to listen to - never boring, and always refreshing.

Promise you'll post about the show - that's quite a ticket!

Being a Clapton, Harrison, Gilmore, Trower, Page, Beck, et. al fan as well, I've always noticed something and wondered why...

WHY is it that BRITISH guitarist can capture the blues sound sooooo well?

Now, I associate the blues with more of the Memphis or Southern Blues sound - sorta like a Spiritual. But yet these guys all pretty much nail the sound and they're from the other side of the pond - I think Page probably has the best handle on things, but that could be another subject all together. At any rate, it's always something that's sorta mystified me.... Any ideas?

You know, I've wondered about that too...Sometimes I think it's the different perspective - or different spin that the Brits do on the Blues sound...On that Disraeli Gears DVD, Eric played "Sunshine of Your Love" by himself on an acoustic guitar - and he played it very Bluesy - it sounded like a totally different song - I really liked it!

Edited by T-Bone

He he he!!! This is the first time I've heard callouses called *lovely & lucious*!! ;)

(Is that playing with *protection*?? Practicing *safe sets*?)

:biglaugh:

I gotta pick everyones brain here.

I'm looking for a sheet of pickguard material that has a faux turquoise (not tortoise) stone-grain appearance to it. Has anyone seen anything like that around in guitar shops/luthier supply places?

Perhaps such a thing doesn't exist yet (hard to imagine, though I haven't been able to find such a thing at the online luthier shops I've visited so far).

Danny

Yikes! Chas, if your husband is still pining for that guitar, here's a site you might want to show him concerning guitar selling scams on Ebay -

http://www.edromanguitars.com/rant/ebay.htm

which I came across just a little while ago.

In fact everyone here should perhaps read it, just to keep in mind when considering a major purchase on Ebay.

I've been very fortunate with Ebay so far, but apparently others haven't fared so well.

It's good to come across this info.

Danny