GreaseSpot Cafe

Guitar Talk

socks

Socks, and it's quite lovely to rise to as well. I'm certain other instruments besides string ones can be said the same of but what can be left behind of the person in the chords of guitar piece continues to touch for the life of the tune. What would this world have been like without them? :unsure:

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Strap time?! :biglaugh:

Oh, strap time. He he... :dance: Cool strap Chatty.

My main strap is black suede, with strap locks. I also have a "JN" strap, natural leather, with a white dove embossed. And an embroidered covered strap, both were gifts.

suedestrap.jpg

Edited by socks

Yep, Kathy has heard me talk about them. :)

This is the one I use on my Strat. Mine is the one on the left:

Fender.jpg

Then we have these 2 for the 6 and 12 string. The crushed velvet was so 70's retro, I just had to! :) I have the purple and the blue ones:

LM.jpg

And finally, the nicest one I have is the one I use on the resonator:

Levys.jpg

Rick

Well, Happy 4th!

I've been messing with a song that I've had in my bag for many years, a version of the song "I Know Who Holds Tomorrow". This is an instrumental version I've been testing, that I'll redo and will have voice singing the melody after I get it together. It's nothing like the original music, but it's pretty much what I wrote in 1969, what hit me when I first heard it. It seemed timeless, suspended in a moment. I've never quite gotten that feeling in the music completely, in fact it seems to have moments where silence would do better and the listener could make the music themselves. Dunno. Compared to what I heard that first time it seems so clumsy, but it's what I got. :) Again, hogs'a and all.

I hope you enjoy it for a second or two. I Know Who Holds Tomorrow

The lyrics struck me as "blues", in feeling. "Joys" I like to call them. :)

I don't know about tomorrow,

I just live from day to day.

I can't borrow from it's sunshine.

For it's skies may turn to gray.

I don't worry o'er the future.

For I know what Jesus said.

And today He lives inside me.

And He knows what is ahead.

Many things about tomorrow

I don't seem to understand.

But I know who holds tomorrow

And I know who holds my hand.

Now every step is getting brighter

As the golden stairs I climb.

Every burden's getting lighter

Every cloud is silver lined.

There, the sun is always shining.

There, no tear will dim my eye.

At the ending of the rainbow.

Where the mountains touch the sky.

A true story -- from a Minney-soda Bluegrass Forum, I'm on ---

in 1974 I bought a 65 D 28 from Charlie Collins, who was playing with Roy Accuff at the Opry, I paid Charlie $425 for that guitar, it was a Cannon.

In 1976 a lady came to our Friday night Jam at The Adler House in Libertyville Ill. She had 2 Pre war model 45 Dobro's. I had to have one . I begged, I pleaded, I even got down on my hands and knees, but she refused to sell either one.

In 1977 after badgering her for close to 2 years, she said I will not sell, but I might trade for a good mandolin. Alas -- a little chink in her armour. :biglaugh:

When I got home I put in a call to my friend Charlie Collins, excited as I could be. I said Charlie I need a good mandolin to trade for this wonderfull 1934 Model 45 Dobro. Charlie's words were, I will look around and call you in a couple of days.

A man of His word, Charlie called back in 2 - 3 days.

Ernie (He said) -- I will sell You my mandolin , An A model RL Givens. How much I asked ?

$450 said Charlie.

Ok Give Me a couple of days to scratch up the scratch. I will call You Charlie.

I called my good friend Noel Sabine,who was forever pleading with me to own Charlies D28.

Noel I said , I'll sell Charlie's D 28 for $450.

Great said Noel, I'll be over in an hour with the money, This was a Wednesday, I called Charlie and said I'll be in Nashville Saturday --- can You get me tickets to the Opry??

Charlie said better yet come with me, I'll take you through the artist entrance. So I bought Charlie's RL Givens , which left him without a mandollin. Backstage we ran in to Jessie McReynolds and Charlie explained his situation. Jessie said I have an extra in my dressing room, come in and take a look.

Wow what a trip. To get to the end of the story , I got back to Ill. traded the RL Givens for the old Dobro,in 1979 I had the chance to play 3 concerts on that old 45 with Roy Acuff in Northern Minnesota.

Who would have ever thought. A great time was had by all, including my great friends Arlen,Joyce and Al Roline and The Hollow Log String Band.

Thats the Truth if I ever told it.

Keep it Simple Boys.

(And I know this is true -- cause I was the *care-keeper* of this dobro, for 4 years! -

when Ernie moved to Mexico, from Minney-soda.)

And the Roline's are friends of mine. (You won't find this on Snopes!!!) ;)

swapping instruments -- Oh My!! :P

Ernie (the quoted poster here) is 10 years older than I,

but he has the energy of a 30 year-old-something-or-other!! :blink:

Edited by dmiller

Poppin' in quickly, as I'm up to my eyeballs in work...

Great Guitar Straps - even did a custom order for me - x-tra wide strap in ostrich leather w/ sheepskin lining - super comfy! It doesn't make my bass feel like it weighs 19 lbs when it's strapped on.

Plus it looks *kewl*....

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ2...assZguitarstrap

Mine looks like this:

35_1_b.JPG

but has the sheep skin inside of it, like this:

52_1_b.JPG

I

...AND...

...get this...

...This weekend Hubby is gigging with a lead guitarist from Sunapee, NH, who's filling in with them named Tom Wright - here's a link to who playin with his band - I guess this guy's been around He's also mentioned in the Aerosmith biography... Kewl!

(Now, if I can just get him to give me Joe Perry's number, so I can get him to come over with no shirt on... phew.... Is there another heat wave goin' on?) :redface2:

Edited by ChasUFarley

Well, Happy 4th!

I've been messing with a song that I've had in my bag for many years, a version of the song "I Know Who Holds Tomorrow". This is an instrumental version I've been testing, that I'll redo and will have voice singing the melody after I get it together. It's nothing like the original music, but it's pretty much what I wrote in 1969, what hit me when I first heard it. It seemed timeless, suspended in a moment. I've never quite gotten that feeling in the music completely, in fact it seems to have moments where silence would do better and the listener could make the music themselves. Dunno. Compared to what I heard that first time it seems so clumsy, but it's what I got. :) Again, hogs'a and all.

I hope you enjoy it for a second or two. I Know Who Holds Tomorrow

The lyrics struck me as "blues", in feeling. "Joys" I like to call them. :)

I don't know about tomorrow,

I just live from day to day.

I can't borrow from it's sunshine.

For it's skies may turn to gray.

I don't worry o'er the future.

For I know what Jesus said.

And today He lives inside me.

And He knows what is ahead.

Now every step is getting brighter

As the golden stairs I climb.

Every burden's getting lighter

Every cloud is silver lined.

There, the sun is always shining.

There, no tear will dim my eye.

At the ending of the rainbow.

Where the mountains touch the sky.

Sock-roni--

Beautiful. Moving. Love it.

It sounds warm - makes me think of autumn, browns, and sunshine warmth. Something about the key of it, just does that for me. I associate music with colors, tempretures, etc. - weird, I know, but it also helps me to remember songs when I'm trying to memorize stuff.

Anyhow - I love what you did with it. It was never a favorite song of mine because, like you said, it was sorta clumsey. It took a smooth arrangement like yours to tame it.

What other keys have you tried? What about some different effects - maybe some chorus or octaver?

Just thinking - and listening - again.

Great way to end a super busy day!

Socks, I really enjoyed your rendition of I Know Who Holds Tomorrow. That song was never one of my favorites - maybe too slow - or rather dreary or melancholy. But I get a more upbeat or hopeful feeling from your version. Thanks

Chatty, glad you enjoyed it. It's somewhere between nappy-time and quetly mellow. Restful, maybe. It's the kind of thing that ministers to the soul at the right time, is what I had in mind when I first heard it in my head. Funny thing, I played it in the BRC at summer school, in 70 think it was, and the VPster never heard my arrangement of it, our band had a few songs we did acoustic, so we pulled that one out and he figured, fine, Song Book tune, right? So when we played it I looked over at him and his look was like "watz THAT???'. But he liked it, just took him by surprise, and he was interested in how I'd come up with that idea to do that.

T-Bone, yeah, the original arrangement is kind of bland. Not that this is exactly wild and crazy. It struck me as poignant. It could be taken as sort of a hiney-dragger, and that's where the music trips me up. I've done it several different ways and 'live' there's room for pauses and silence, but that's hard to arrange with a band or more musicians. Solo, it's easier, if people are in the right frame of mind. I used to do it where the music would drop off, and people would be sort of humming and toodling along iwth it and it would on rare occasion get this kind of silent groove going, with the waltz beat waltzing along in everyone's head and then I'd bring the guitar back in. Kind of fun, sort of self-discovery-in-performance. Or something. I have always liked it, and while the lyric seems weird - "I just live from day to day"....in context the meaning is clear.Er.

Chas, I've got two remixed versions below, if you all are up to listening to them. One has <ak> siniging, although the vocal line really needs a voice strong enough to carry the melody I have, which is short blues-style lines, with limited movement. I pulled it out of the first post, as it's not that good, but it gives an idea of how it goes, if you can stand it. :blink: It's in "E", I originally did it in "G" when my range was a little higher, and in 3-part harmony. D would probably be right but I'd have to tune down. Might sound interesting though, I'll have to play with it. I'd really like to get a fuller acoustic sound, but I ended up starting this awhile back on my Takamine, so it's all flat-wound strings, not ideal and i'll probably trade out a couple acoutic parts later for a fuller sound. Glad you liked it! Thanks.

Voice

No voice

He - he. Joe Perry, no shirt? Sounds boring. :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh: But if he's got one of those Vintage Paul's of his.... :biglaugh:

that's a cool strap, Chas. Looks comfortable. That must take a lot of the weight off.

Bluzeman - you've got the strap thing going. I need better straps, I've really only got one I use all the time, and I'd like to invest in some snappier straps. They're expensive! I like the blue color though, that's a nice look.

I used to have one I made out of a horse saddle harness thing i found at a flea market. I cut it so that it would fit over the shoulder and to get the right widths. It really took the weight of the Les Paul I had at that time.

Socks, listening to you sing and play is incredibly peaceful and mentally uplifting. You have only gotten better in voice quality, and your playing......well, gosh what can I say. You're simply wonderful!!!

(ps...you have the words reversed :) the voice is in the bottom one)

He - he. Joe Perry, no shirt? Sounds boring. :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh: But if he's got one of those Vintage Paul's of his.... :biglaugh:

:)

Edited by ChattyKathy

Socker-roni --

I like both versions of the song - I listed to both back-to-back, like an EP. I think you have a great voice - I've only heard it a few times, and you seem to have very good pitch. For me, singing isn't about the singer having the greatest voice in the world - but the expression is what counts. Hubby sings in his band - there's no lead singer - three of the four band members take turns. Hubby hasn't got a great voice, but it's a good rock and roll voice. He's never met a microphone that he didn't like, so singing isn't a problem for him - but there's lots of recording artists who don't have great voice - but they have attitude, emotion, and deliver the goods. That's what counts, as far as I'm concerned.

I'd be very interested to hear it a dropped D tuning - that would be a cool experiment. I've been working with transposing songs lately. Since I know G-clef music better than Bass Clef, it's been very challenging for me. I never had to think about it much with G-clef stuff. I'm also seeing how guitar players don't HAVE to know how to read sheet music - I can understand why many don't. Personally, I like to know because I like to play the type of music I'd listen to on the radio or on my iPod. That's just me... I never really thought much about bass tunings - I'm sure there's dropped tunings for bass, although that's far above me right now.

Hubby's gig last night went great - he had a good time playing with the stand-in guy and they're going to get back together sometime. I asked Hubby if the guy was used to making more money than he did with their band, and he said, "Nope. That's about what he usually makes because no one wants to hear the blues anymore." Sad. I don't feel that way - but I guess that's what happening around here...

Hey, here it is! Sorry, been busy this week. Your husband's gig sounds like it went well Chas! Blues - what's it paying? There's quite a few blues bands in this area and a couple local clubs that host it now and then. It's always nice to go into a place and hear a group you've never heard before, doing good stuff. :)

I tuned 'er down for a test and it sounds interesting. Fuller, to be sure. I'm playing around with it.

Reading music is something I've always done, I got 2 semesters of harmony theory under my belt, and one each of composition and orchestration. I got away from it after the first couple years, most of the music I was writing or playing was for the standard rock rhythm section - guitar, piano, bass, drums, etc.

So for a few years when I was first playing I mostly had to learn to transpose quickly, doing a lot of the same songs in different bands, but different keys to accomodate the singer. As a teenager when I was playing a lot that got me a lot of calls, as I could slip in and play tunes without a lot of rehearsal, do a little of my own thing with it and it all worked out. And a lot of it was pretty simple, then as now. I mean, once you know "Mustang Sally" in G, you pretty much know it in every key, y'know? :biglaugh: Later it was the same, in different contexts. Way Productions had a lot of variety and styles to accomodate and I learned a lot with it.

The tendency of guitarists to not read is probably due to how guitarists usually learn, on their own or with limited instruction. But if a musician is going to approach more complex stuff they have to have a very good ear to learn it without reading it and they won't be able to work in ensembles that work off of the written music where musicians are expected to produce a servicable rendition fairly guickly, so it's limiting in that way. But it just depends on what a person wants to learn and play. Some stuff doesn't require it, so it's no biggie.

Speaking of learning - my wife is out of town for a week and a half and being the wonderful wif' she is, she shopped and made sure there was food in the fridge. But I had to go out tonight for some items and no one was around to go with me, so I went alone. Although this isn't guitar oriented, I had some questions...

I went to "Safeway", (it's not) which I hadn't been to in quite awhile. Food is pretty expensive....it seems. I knew that, but it was scarey seeing the prices when actually buying the stuff. Specifically -

Onions - I bought a "Yellow onion", about the size of a softball, maybe a little smaller, for 99 cents. That seemed expensive. Is it, anyone know?

Eggs - very weird. I'd checked what we had, but when I was looking at the egg section, there's all kinds of eggs - A, AA, AAA, Large, Extra Large, Grain Fed, Free Range, "Fresh". Aren't all eggs "fresh"? The prices ranged from about 2 bucks for a dozen up to about 4 bucks. It was brutal. I got the Large AA, for 2. 35. Is that normal?

Milk - I didn't see what we usually have, as we don't drink that much but I'm doing breakfast for my son tomorrow, and wanted some. There was about 5 different colors associated with various types of fat-non-fat-1/2 per cent, you name it. I'm not sure what happened there, I got the gallon jug with the pink cap which seemed garish, but it was getting late. It was about 3.49.

I'm just curious and I'll have to go over all this with my wife, as I'm sure she knows, but it all seemed really expensive. :blink: I don't like to grocery shop, and I'm reminded of why, the whole experience is very strange.

Edited by socks

Socks,

Both those posts were great. The first made the concept easier to understand IMHO. And the one about the price of food was a mind picture of you standing there looking at the products and looking around wondering how your wife gets thru this each week. Oh to be a fly on the wall when you tell her your adventures, she will surely be amused at your revelations. (don't call me Shirley :wink2: hope you get that one)