GreaseSpot Cafe

Guitar Talk

socks

ChattyKathy - that reminds me of a cartoon I saw [if I'm remembering it right]: It's an office scene - someone is picking up a fax from the fax machine and says to a co-worker "It's a fax from your dog - it's your cat." And you can see a squished-looking cat on the fax sheet...Ok - cruel I know - but it's only a cartoon.

Edited by T-Bone

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The lyrics you all have been kicking around reminded me of THIS song. Now, this is by Randy Travis and "Somebody". This being the guitar thread, at about the 4 second mark, when you hear the first lead lick in the intro, most of you will probably recognize who that "Somebody" is. :)

Rick

Thanks for the tune, Bluzeman! That sounds like B.B. King with Travis.That's a great sounding combo ...[speaking of combos - I've got a great CD of B.B. with Eric Clapton - title "Riding with the King"]

Edited by T-Bone

Perusing the guitars lately, still have a hankering for one o' these -

Aria FA71

They're really nice and very playable. Big full tone, and a serious vintage vibe. Price is low, they're selling for around 500 bucks these days. Good value, interesting history, serious sound.

I need to ask you musicians a question: How come every time I hear the opening chords to "Where the Streets Have No Name" I start to get this "feeling" that turns into full blown chills by the time the first lyrics are being sung?

It happens every single time.

I really do like a lot of their songs, maybe even love some of them... for their spirit, music and heart... some of them get me sometimes, depends on my mood, but that song never, ever, fails to generate that feeling...

why?

(and I apologize for this not being guitar specific)

Tom, it's cause you like 'em. :)

I do too, pretty much their whole catalogue. Dave Evens - "the Edge" has a very unique sound, using some effects regularly - echo and delay almost always.

Musically there's a few basic elements constructing the sound, the bass is always strong, simple and shapes the movement of the chords in the against what the guitar is playing. The bass really drives it and has a lot to do with that overall "chill" you're referring to, I think.

Agains't that Evans will play octaves, two of the same notes, one higher and one lower and move that around in the chords of the song. That gets a full rhythmic sound going while the bass defines the actual chord movement usually. He'll often use a few common root and harmony notes amongst several chords and work with the bass to produce some nice chordal sounds. He also uses open strings a lot, drone notes that play and stay the same throughout a verse or chorus.

Streets is in D, an ideal key for Evan's sound. The opening chords are very simple, set by the organ opening. He modulates the 3rd and the 4th of the chord and plays that straight through the whole instroduction up on the 10th fret "D" chord, on the 4 high strings. He changes back and forth from an F# to a G note in the chord against all of the chord changes the bass plays through.

That modulation is very common in rock, called a "suspended" chord, where the 3rd of the chord is raised up a step, and sometimes back down a full step, in D to an E.

Anyhoo- what this creates is a rather pleasant sounding dissonance, and a constant set and release of tension in the chord structure. Playing that kind of 2 or 3 note figure against other chord changes gives a very airy feel of movement, without a lot of movement going on.

It goes way back in pop music, common in early 50's doo-wop, and the simplest 4 chord stuff. Wrongly applied it can sound like "chop sticks" on the piano, but obviously EVans knows how to make it work, he's very crafty in getting a lot of mileage out of simple effects and sounds.

Michael MacDonald uses the same concept in a lot of his music, that "dee-dee-dee-da-deee-de- piano part in "What a fool Believes' is the same idea, but used in a tighter fashion.

US does a lot of songs in a march kind of mode, too. They hit the ground running and keep it moving ahead and forward. It's a very aggressive sound that suits their lyrics well I think.

That's a little on that song, but there's more to it so let's see what else comes in!

Hmmm, pondering that question TomS. How does "With or Without You" hit you? It has a similar set up in the music. Same key, and the opening has a little reperitiive figure, a D chord, that pulses agaisnt the bass line, which again establishes the chords. The little D figure sets tension through the dissonance of the 3rd and 5th against the changes, and it continues through the opening verse. Meanwhile the sustained high note does the same thing.

There's a world of simple movement that's implied in these simple changes they use. I think the stuff they don't play but leave to the collective ear of the listeners does a lot.

The fact that U2 is very passionate about their material and messages has a lot to do with it too, I think.

A band named the Rembrandts, 2 guys actually, had a song out in the late 80's titled "That's Just The Way It Is" that was a masterpiece of understated use of this sound. X -rated as I call it, a very cool tune, musically. The drum score for it, what the drummer plays, is a study in simplicity, in itself. Add to that the fact that you can hear little sounds from the guitars as they change pickup selectors here and there and it's a really interesting tune.

Thank you so much my friend from the sock drawer! for you thoughtful and learned response... and I would love to hear more...

"With or Without You"... yes, I likee but it doesn't effect me the same way as "Streets"...

Your explanation was very easy to follow (thanks for dumming it down for me)... I saw a piece on 60 minutes last night, mostly it was on Bono and his 'philanthropic' work (rerun I think) and Ed Bradly was making the point that the drummer and bass player take the position of being the "engine" that drives U2 while Edge and Bono do the other stuff... but that's what a 'rhythm section' is supposed to do, right?

Anyway... I was late 'getting into' them... I had noticed that a lot of their songs had messages... but "Streets" always affects me that way... even last night when they just played the opening snippets... it has all of those elements you so patiently and eloquently described and it has such a positive "force" to it... it just gets me...

I have succumbed to U2's heartbeat music...

I do remember the Rembrandt's... didn't they do the "Friends" theme?

BTW... if any of you have a killer Home Theater system, buy or rent "U2 Go Home: Live From Slane Castle, Ireland"... I promise you won't be disappointed (unless you absolutely hate them).

It's their 'home town'... it's a very good concert DVD.

(again, I apologize for the U2 derail, thanks for your kindness)

Tom – that’s a great thing to bring up. I know what you mean about certain tunes evoking some kind of feeling. I like a lot of U2’s stuff. I usually describe that “feeling” as “it takes me somewhere.” U2’s “Where the Streets have no name” certainly does that for me too. Sort of like enjoying a good movie – where you forget about everything else and get totally involved in the flick – even worrying about how things will work out – whoa that’s probably all the soda and candy drugs kickin’ in!...But seriously – sometimes caught up in the moment I recall excerpts of tunes when I’m really happy or excited. Like I’m making the sound track for an imaginary movie – hee hee.

Socks – I like all that technical stuff you shared – especially the simplicity and understatement of a group like the Rembrandts. I enjoy a tune that is uncluttered or not overproduced. I like it when the instrumentation is exactly what’s needed and fits with the rest of the tune – no one is showing off – thinking more about their own thing than the whole picture…I like what you said about an artist’s simple rendition can leave something for the collective ear of the listener. Actually – I love that! It’s an invitation to the listening – a little mystery – like a dimly lit room with a door open to another dark room. Your imagination and feelings can explore!

I'm glad it made some sense, rereading it, it's a little blotchy. We think alike T-Bone, indeed. The Rembrandts wrote "Friends", and have said they kinda wished it had gone away, as they're mostly remembered as the guys who wrote the theme song. Their albums are filled with some very cool music, crafted elagantly around a library of sounds and styles that cover the whole history of rock. Figure a band that names itself The Rembrandts" better know what it's doing. They did.

U2 started in punk, which is more of an uncontrolled energy, where everybody flails along at full bore. Musically, most "punk" stuff gets boring unless it's short - enter The Ramones, extremely smart and crafty punk rock, that succeeds so well because they honor(ed) basic song structure, wrote memorable hook lines into the songs, and stayed with what they did and did well. A lot of songwriters figure if a riff sounds good 3 or 4 times, it'll sound incredible the 50th time. Usually, it doesn't. Enough's enough, y'know? Leave me wanting to hear it again. Some other time.

What U2 does with exacting precision, is maintain very controlled energy that alternates tension and release throughout a song. I think they're built around the live performance dynamic, and how a song not only sounds and plays, but is received. I saw them few years back - forget the release that was out at that time. It was pretty powerful.

U2 really crafted their roots, their core sound, and made it into a usable style, a genre of it's own really. Their songs work in a 3 minute length or a 10 minute length, because they pace them well. Evans is a very good guitarist, and one who's playing serves the music.

Anyhoo, Streets sounds like a call to arms, musically. In concert it was almost like the whole place was going to go running out of the stadium and just go. It was good.

Edited by socks

What U2 does with exacting precision, is maintain very controlled energy that alternates tension and release throughout a song. I think they're built around the live performance dynamic, and how a song not only sounds and plays, but is received. I saw them few years back - forget the release that was out at that time. It was pretty powerful.

although you're still my friend, I'm promoting you to doctor from the sock drawer!

It's interesting that you explain their music this way as in response to why their music was so popular and the crowds at their shows so involved Bono said something along the lines of: It's all about them, the fans, we want to create a feeling of taking off and flying/soaring, enveloped in the experience (and he was making hand gestures of a plane taxiing down a runway, gathering speed and taking off)... but his main point was that they tried to make it about the fan, not the band...

but I'd also like to see him get the Nobel prize someday as well...

O Come All Ye Faithful, let those who have heard the Stringed Voice walk the straight path rest in the cooling waters of The Music. Lo, many are called and know in their heart of hearts, deep within the folds of their heart of hearts, know as they are known. Truly, it's amazing!

Or sumpin'

Working on a blues tune, standard progression, and the lyric goes -

How long, how long

Baby, how long?

How long, how long

Oh baby how long?

How long, how long

How long are you gonna keep my car?

(turnaround)

We've been dating for a month or so.

All that time, we been ready to go.

Week nights, Friday night, Saturday too.

Then you borrowed my Subar-uuu.

Haven't seen you since that night

When I watched you drive outta sight.

(repeat chorus)

Now I'm trying to understand

Lord knows I'm a compassionate man.

Visa and Shell say you're doing fine.

Remember the oil when you gas up next time.

Get in touch, let me know how

I know you'll be back any day now.

(repeat chorus)

Hokay. I haven't been over here on this thread in a looooong while. So, I dunno what you all have been talkin about. But, I got offa work after putting in a few hrs of OT, and when I got home, I poured me a double shot of Jim Beam, and got on my computer and listened to a coupla songs from my "my downloads", and I have to tell you that Jeff Beck never fails to amaze me when I listen to the song "I'm Goin Down"!

Man! What a song! And what a guitarista! Do you guys know the tune? No doubt Socks does, and a number of the rest of youz, but, if any of you can post this tune as a "link" so others can hear it's greatness, I am sure that the rest of the "Guitar Talk" fans would love it. I would be willin to bet that even the bluegrass loving DMiller would get off on it....

And so. Anybody else love that tune? And, what is Jeff Beck doin these days?

That is a classic Lingoman! According to http://www.jeffbeck.com/ he's coming to the states soon! (my friend from the sock drawer: The Paramount on 9/24)... the tour starts in Tampa on 9/6 so maybe HegotHope and ShegotJohn can go...

No Texas or Alaska dates though... Reno's about as close as he's getting to you Lingo...

(Socks, glad I could help... feel free to edit as you need! If you'd only known of Lojack...) :biglaugh: