GreaseSpot Cafe

Guitar Talk

socks

Oh, you have no idea, CK! Our local grocery store changed owners after many years and it's really messed me up. I took the time to learn the layout and for the most part the employees were very nice. I could go there now and then and move about freely without sweating it. Cereal was always in the same place, garlic, always the same place. It didn't make sense where they were but that's not as important as just knowing how to get to them.

Now it's all changing and I'm not going till I've got a guide who can track in the wild. So Safeway was a sink or swim kind of thing. They're open 24 hours here, so it's like a non-stop carnival in there, but without the prizes unless you count the "Club Card" deal they accost you with at the checkout section.

Speaking of checkouts, I did get to do some reading while waiting my turn. Is it me, why do the checkouts remind me of going through Airport security? At one point I was actually concerned if I'd worn clean underwear and if this was going to go well or if I was going to get denied release. There's a lot of chatter that goes on at the checkout, questions, queries, way beyond cordial exchanges like "how are you today?" Way off the chart.

Anyway, somehow I ended up with a Safeway Club Card and a form I have to fill out now and drop back "the next time I'm in", which won't be in any year with 2 zeros in it, I can promise you that. It's not right - go shopping for food and end up with paperwork? I had a fistful of receipts, coupons and forms by the time I was leaving. It's not right. Maybe she'll do it for me. I'm not going back anytime soon. Don't even ask about the canned fruit or the frozen vegetables. Whatever. It seems like a dream now.

But I did get caught up on some reading and I'm really concerned now about Jennifer Anniston. She's not with Brad Pitt anymore? I wish I could do something to help but I can't think of anything that would do any good. I really hope things work out for her though.

Edited by socks

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

But I did get caught up on some reading and I'm really concerned now about Jennifer Anniston. She's not with Brad Pitt anymore? I wish I could do something to help but I can't think of anything that would do any good. I really hope things work out for her though.

Well, I would be more than happy to do my part to console poor Jennifer. But alas, I'm sure she's already had a few better offers than me. :(

Hey Socks, I had my own little shopping experience today. Was coming home from Warsaw Ohio, and passed a farmers market. Got a dozen apples, a big bag of cherries, 4 quarts of strawberries, some Amish baby swiss cheese, and....the best part of all....a gallon of peach cider! If you've never had peach cider, try it. It's delicious!

Oh yeah, this is the guitar thread. I have my PA and one of my amps set up in a friends garage, who also happens to be a singer.(Yes, we are working on putting together a band, and she's got a damn good voice!) 2 weeks, ago, I was there, put my strat on the stand, strapped on the 12 string and then realized that I wasn't plugged in. So I grab a cable, and while I was messing around unwrapping it, the top part of the strap decides to let go. Now keep in mind, I've had this 12 string for about 2 years, and it was still pristine...not a scratch on it. Weeeellll, till now, that is. :( Fell flat on the back, on the cement floor. Made about a dime size gouge in the back. But what was amazing was, aside from that gouge, you would never know it was dropped. I took it to the local music store to have my buddy Doug check out the neck, and he said other than a minor truss rod adjustment (which it already needed before it fell) it was fine. That would seem to say a lot for Alvarez's quality! :)

Rick

Socks,

:biglaugh:

You absolutely know how to tell a tale of pure delight. Your drama became our birds eye view with some chuckles. :)

Standing in the line reading the front of those tabloids makes me thankful no one knows me. :unsure:

I may be in a minority but I think Pitt and Jolie are well matched.

Rick --

Hubby had something like that happen last year with his prized Strat. He had placed it in it's hardshell case after a gig but didn't lock up the case, as he still had some things to place in there. Well, one of his well-meaning bandmates grabbed the case to load it in the truck and the Strat went *SPLAT* - on a concrete floor. It got a good ding on the lower part of the body - nothing that can be seen unless you're looking for it - and a scrape on the back. I was afraid Hubby would want to get rid of it, as he likes immaculate instruments (picky, picky, picky) - but so far he hasn't said a word...

You may consider taking it to a luthier - they may be able to patch that spot, if it's worth it to you to fix it. It sounds like you made out well, all things considered. That could have been an instant nail in the coffin of any other guitar, really. Alvarez does make a good instrument and I bet your 12-string is a peach!

Personally, I don't mind a few blems on a guitar, but I hate seeing where they were just abused.

Oh, you have no idea, CK! Our local grocery store changed owners after many years and it's really messed me up. I took the time to learn the layout and for the most part the employees were very nice. I could go there now and then and move about freely without sweating it. Cereal was always in the same place, garlic, always the same place. It didn't make sense where they were but that's not as important as just knowing how to get to them.

Now it's all changing and I'm not going till I've got a guide who can track in the wild. So Safeway was a sink or swim kind of thing. They're open 24 hours here, so it's like a non-stop carnival in there, but without the prizes unless you count the "Club Card" deal they accost you with at the checkout section.

Speaking of checkouts, I did get to do some reading while waiting my turn. Is it me, why do the checkouts remind me of going through Airport security? At one point I was actually concerned if I'd worn clean underwear and if this was going to go well or if I was going to get denied release. There's a lot of chatter that goes on at the checkout, questions, queries, way beyond cordial exchanges like "how are you today?" Way off the chart.

Anyway, somehow I ended up with a Safeway Club Card and a form I have to fill out now and drop back "the next time I'm in", which won't be in any year with 2 zeros in it, I can promise you that. It's not right - go shopping for food and end up with paperwork? I had a fistful of receipts, coupons and forms by the time I was leaving. It's not right. Maybe she'll do it for me. I'm not going back anytime soon. Don't even ask about the canned fruit or the frozen vegetables. Whatever. It seems like a dream now.

I feel your pain. I have a keyring with about a dozen little cards with barcodes on them that attests to all the insane paperwork I've filled out to get discounts, have club membership, and all that jazz. I hate being handed a survey at the bottom of my receipt - more work. I'd rather they just say nothing and let me complain if I think they messed up pretty badly, but please, just let me go about my day - I have enough to do to occupy my time, thank you. Really, I think these marketing gurus who run this type of discount service based on demographic tracking are the same jerks who set up our healthcare system - no rules are ever the same twice, and you're always suprized by the bill because it's never what you thought it would be.

Thankfully, I'm married to a man who LIKES to grocery shop. I cut the coupons and write the list. He shops and I put it all away. Works for me! We finally got a grocery store in the town where we live - before that we had to go 20+ miles to the nearest store. Ditto for a pharmacy. But that's all changed and we're suddenly spoiled! His very favorite thing is to get both boy into one of those carts that looks like a car - the three of them are in hog heaven. And since I don't have to go, then the four of us are in hog heaven!

Was coming home from Warsaw Ohio, and passed a farmers market.
Bluzeman, so what's doing in Warsaw? I can relate to Farmer's Markets. Food that looks like food. I like fresh stuff, and our local store has lots of it, so once they get finished I'll take some time and map it out. But I'll buy frozen or canned too, non-seasonal stuff. Safeway's had about a several shelves of peaches. If I need peaches that was the my stop. But there was hardly anything else, fruit-wise, in a can. It's summer here so most stuff's cheap(er) but to me, nothing beats a can of mixed fruit for 69 cents. None of those around anymore.

Jennifer Anniston, yeah, i'm worried about what's going on with her now. Maybe Oprah can help.

But that guitar flop! Glad your trusty Alvarez is alive and kicking, they do sound nice!

Chatty, if my experiences can help even one person, somehwo, someday, someway, it was worth it. :biglaugh:

I hate being handed a survey at the bottom of my receipt - more work.

Chas, the survey thing I got resembled what I picture's happening when I read about Homeland Security and government invasion into personal privacy. I hear ya. Not being in the "desirable" 18-25 male demographics usually translates to "just let us know how many Tums you take a day and if you're using Depends yet". Which is weird, because while that young group is full of first-time buyers, they're at the start of their earning curve.

Anyhoo- speaking of demographics - it's interesting that the after-market for guitar equipment is so huge. Whether it's strings, slides, tuners, stands, whatever. There's a huge market for that stuff now.

It must be different for us in Texas cuz I have a bunch of those little keychain dealies and I've never filled out anything... well, maybe one a long time ago... maybe that's why I don't get anything in the mail from them... but I'm in it for the instant gratification anyway, moseying down the aisle looking for the good deals if you have a card... why just the other day I bought powerade instead of gatorade cuz it was half price with a tag! I saved $2.40 right there!

back to guitar talking... and I'm with our beautiful talking doll: I think B&A are a good fit as well... that Jennifer's not as innocent as she seems!!!

...and the checkout line is also where I catch up on the latest adventures of BAT BOY!!! Did you happen to find out what he's up to myfriendfromtheSockdrawer? ...please share!

I'm sitting here listening to a seven eleven commercial on the radio that's "two dogs for two dollars"... and the whole commercial is a sung to the tune of "God told Noah to build me an arky arky"...

...aaaaagggghhhhhh!!!!!

Edited by Tom Strange

Here's a story from a friend of mine -- Dick Kimmell ---

(from the bluegrass forum) ---

Most of us could make a list of instruments (cars and other things, too) that we wish we'd kept.

My worst story really hurts. In 1962 I bought a new Fender Stratocaster for $285.

In 1973 I traded it for a 'Gibson Mastertone' banjo a guy was selling for $350.

I felt like I made a modest profit and was getting unplugged at the time.

The banjo, while I did learn lots on it, turned out to be a Japanese mastertone knockoff

that someone had put the proper Gibson inlays on and wasn't worth the $350.

Not too long ago, I saw a 1962 Strat at Gruhn Guitar for $30,000. Still weeping about that one.....

Interesting story, dmiller. I was talking with my daughter about the progression of my first 3 guitars, "good" guitars - 1963 - a Fender Tele. 1968, a Les Paul gold top. Traded that in the late 70's for a Gibson 335. That got lost in O'Hare Airport about a year later. Today, I'd settle very nicely for the Tele. Thus, she has her motto - "we want to ADD to the collection, not TAKE from the collection".

Man, it's been hot here lately. Wif' is home tomorrow and not a day too soon. Cat's been acting very bored lately, I think she's part timing at the craft store in town, just to get some extra dough and be in an air conditioned building. The glue gun's out and I sure haven't been using it, and there's beads all over the floor in the back bedroom. I also have noticed last few days, the Cat Bowl hasn't been emptying out at it's usual rate, and there's Pizza boxes I haven't ordered in the garbage. When the cat starts doing takeout it's time for some action.

If your ears are available:

"Waiting"....needs more ice, for proper chillin'....this pup has voice on chorus...sooner or later....

Edited by socks

Socks,

After my laughter at your dilemma what a wonderful tune, filled with lightness yet a seriousness that its hiding. I saw a man standing or the corner in the rain. The world passing by as he stares down the sidewalk to find her not coming. And I started singing...You told me that you would be there, I stood in the rain waiting, remembering the smell of your hair...

Thank you for bringing that for us to share. I love it!!!!!

Cool tune, Socks! Is that yours? I like the jazzy sound of it - if I knew how to play the bass I'd be walking all over that thing. And thanks for the Fretprints website.

Actually I have the story in my head but hadn't thought of any other lines. The story was from his perspective. As he stood in the rain waiting to see her coming down the sidewalk he started to remember, first the smell of her hair then the memories progressed to things that caused them not to be together in the first place, some his and some her makings. As he did he began to shift in place and the rain which once was delightful as it fell began to irate him and he realized he didn't want to be waiting on the sidewalk anymore for her. Just as he started to turn to leave he saw her in the distance approaching him. He turned his back and continued to go. It's not a happy ending, just life. :unsure:

That was the seriousness I picked up amongst the lightness of the sweet memories as the story began. But you might not want such a piece. You're too upbeat to end a song like that I suspect. :)

Well, Chatty, that's very similar to the idea that I was starting with. On a second floor appartment in San Francisco maybe, parting back the curtains at night to look out. The opening line I had was -

Through the window, I see cars moving

In the rain, below

Moving by fast as they can go.

To somewhere else, again.

Somewhere else, and back again.

Cat's on the couch, thinks it's his.

All day long like that,

I guess it is.

Waiting....

But that's as far as I got

I kinda see a concept that could be developed between ChattyKathy’s mention of memories, the man turning in place [turning in his mind] and Socks’ word “waiting”, cars moving somewhere and back again, and the cat that thinks the couch is his…Overall, it’s the circular nature of memories – how we experience something in real time – and then farther down the road we bring that experience back again and again through a memory. And “waiting” as you would for the passage of time – the hands on the clock go around the face.

The man waiting is playing those memories over repeatedly – and maybe like sappy music video – or a CSI episode – he paces his thinking, his remembering – paced with the clock his watching – as each minute rolls by – he’s looking at some clock behind the lady he’s thinking about. He’s even trying to manipulate the memories – playing them back a little differently to see if that would have changed things for the better…Okay – I know this is pretty dorky – but it’s late and I’m punch-drunk from a long day of working in the heat…Anyway – the cat – sort of like when we lounge around on a memory – its ours – we own it – we like to hang out with it. I don’t know CK – the song could go either way happy or unhappy ending – I guess it all depends on if Socks is gonna kick that cat off the couch or not...Nuff said – I better get to bed – gotta do it again tomorrow.

Beep beep. :)

Yes, interesting views! I like 'em!

I've been doinking with it some more. My "original" thought with it didn't deal with memories, so that's kind of a new wrinkle.

he paces his thinking, his remembering – paced with the clock his watching
I was thinking of - quietly waiting, being in neutral, on pause, for something to happen, a call, whatever. Interrupted by short little bursts of activity where something happens, then - waiting. LIke the cat, cat's lay there, don't do anything, nothing. Flat out flat. Then - whooooosh! then - flat out again.

What's coming in the call? who's calling? and about what? Hmmmmm........I'm leaning towards a description of the conditions and the activities and the chorus leaves it to the listeners mind to make up the story, with maybe just a hint of what's going on. :wink2: But as Alan Shore said so eloquently in "The Practice" - "It's always about the girl".

Edited by socks

... I was thinking of - quietly waiting, being in neutral, on pause, for something to happen, a call, whatever. Interrupted by short little bursts of activity where something happens, then - waiting. LIke the cat, cat's lay there, don't do anything, nothing. Flat out flat. Then - whooooosh! then - flat out again.

What's coming in the call? who's calling? and about what? Hmmmmm........

What if the call is about the cat. Perhaps a call from the Vet. Or the call is from Rent-A-Center - they want the couch back...Sorry, I couldn't resist a good set up....I do like the idea - the suspense of waiting - of who is going to call - and about what.