GreaseSpot Cafe

Guitar Talk

socks

Tom, a quickie take on Townsend, who deserves a book in his own right - Yes, he's a very accomplished rock guitarist, known for his creative rhythm technique. It would be impossible to imagine the Who with any other sound.

Denver - he had a very simple style, fingerpicking/folk style. Definitely good for his style of music. His songs are so well known that the music goes along and doesn't get noticed a lot but it's a perfect match to what he's writing and singing about.

Crossroads - yeah! Would love to camp out for that! Thanks for the offer Tom. You may have a row of cars outside your place someday. :biglaugh:

*testing testing* Houston to Ala - Keb Mo' status, please? Pul-eaze? :)

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ya know I can't even remember if I asked this question before( must be old age) and I refuse to go back all over the different posts again so I'm going to ask it. I picked up a "Fender" guitar for $100, it sounds great!!!

And the question is...................is "Fender" a good guitar???

Cowgirl

A different string instrument than most of what this thread has had (I think). :)

Enjoy please:

A Tribute to Peador O'Donnell/Monkey Let The Hogs Out

The Boy Who Wouldn't Hoe Corn

Hide and Seek

ChattyKathy -- I just had the privilege of listening to those links while a huge thunderstorm/hailstorm was going on outside - and I was just sitting at the 'puter, in the dark, with the ear buds in, and a big ol' mug of Spiced Cap't Morgan Rum w/ apple juice (tastes like apple pie!).... A perfect storm, if you will, but in the good sence.

Since you like that music, I should introduce y'all to Ed Gerhard - please promise me you will check out his music. The guy is absolutely awesome! We catch his show almost every December in a small Colonial church in Portsmouth, NH. His playing will make chills go up and down your spine - he can take old classic Christmas songs and just shape them into something beautiful that you would swear you'd never heard before. He plays mostly classical guitar, but in a way that you would swear he had ten extra fingers and six more strings. I just don't have words to describe this... you gotta hear it.

By the way - I gotta gush on this some more - Ed has an album out that was done with him playing all guitars that he'd found at yard sales, thrift stores and pawn shops, etc. - He "rescued" them, got them in good working order and played them for his recording of "House of Guitars". If you ever get to see him live, he is really a treat to listen to - both in his music and the stories he tells. Very interesting!

Enjoy!

Edited by ChasUFarley

Ya know I can't even remember if I asked this question before( must be old age) and I refuse to go back all over the different posts again so I'm going to ask it. I picked up a "Fender" guitar for $100, it sounds great!!!

And the question is...................is "Fender" a good guitar???

Cowgirl

I think it would depend on some things - first off, the condition (how well it was cared for, and if it was stored properly), also when it was made. If you have the serial number, it is possible to decipher that to date the instrument - usually as close to the month and year it was made. Also WHERE it was made is very important (Indonesia and China are usually the lowest quality, Korea and Mexico are better than the Indo/China instruments, then Japanese made are very desireable, then USA is the top of the chain, with Custom Shop as the best.)

Fender has had some quality issues in the past (roughly '64-'83)- there was a time when CBS (as in the TV network) owned Fender. Leo Fender sold the company thinking he was dying. Then the poor bastard found out he was going to live so he started G&L Guitars... that's another story. But those CBS guitars have some issues sometimes. Again, it would depend on which model you have and the overall condition.

That being said, if you're happy with it, like the sound, and the condition - then it was a good fit! I'm not into labels with guitars, as I have an Ibanez, which is Japanese for: "I've Copied You, So Sue Me!" but I absolutely love my bass - it was just $150 and it's a bad foot axe in my book. I love that thing!

Yeah, Cowgirl, that Fender - could be good! What's the model, any idea? It should say it on the headstock.

Some nice sounds, dobros and acoustics. Ed Gerhard sounds great!

Some nice late night, kickin' music, for your baby, anytime. Greg Liesz, lap and pedal steel player. His tone is one I'm working on, using a straight picking style it's got a lot of bends. It's got a long intro that sets the song nicely.

Santos Dream A 128kbs mp3 - it sounds really good full wav, if anyone wants but it's a big honker.

Edited by socks

ChattyKathy -- I just had the privilege of listening to those links while a huge thunderstorm/hailstorm was going on outside - and I was just sitting at the 'puter, in the dark, with the ear buds in, and a big ol' mug of Spiced Cap't Morgan Rum w/ apple juice (tastes like apple pie!).... A perfect storm, if you will, but in the good sence.

Since you like that music, I should introduce y'all to Ed Gerhard - please promise me you will check out his music. The guy is absolutely awesome! We catch his show almost every December in a small Colonial church in Portsmouth, NH. His playing will make chills go up and down your spine - he can take old classic Christmas songs and just shape them into something beautiful that you would swear you'd never heard before. He plays mostly classical guitar, but in a way that you would swear he had ten extra fingers and six more strings. I just don't have words to describe this... you gotta hear it.

By the way - I gotta gush on this some more - Ed has an album out that was done with him playing all guitars that he'd found at yard sales, thrift stores and pawn shops, etc. - He "rescued" them, got them in good working order and played them for his recording of "House of Guitars". If you ever get to see him live, he is really a treat to listen to - both in his music and the stories he tells. Very interesting!

Enjoy!

I must have some of his work! :)

I'm so glad you enjoyed those songs. I grew up around that music and loved it as a child then fought it for years as a teen and young adult. But then came to my senses and realized I loved it as an adult.

The soundtrack for O Brother Where Art Thou re-popularized it some also I think. I've heard a couple people say they never appreciated the music before watching that movie. And I don't think it had the consequences of when Dalmatian dogs became the designer dog and too many were bred and the terrible thing that caused.

That second song about the boy that wouldn't hoe corn is beautiful even in its sadness.

Oh btw, those were awesome pictures you provided on your thread about the motorcycles. Real sweet!!!!!

It is relaxing, isn't it? It's a very soothing, almost caressing sound I think. It's got the feel of waves, coming and going. And the references to Santo and Johnny's "Sleep Walk" are easy on the ears.

Ed Gerhard has a very woody, authentic sound. Niiiiiice...

On Gerhard's site he mentions a "high string" guitar - a very nice sound if you've never tried it. It's also called "Nashville" tuning, or a "High 3rd" in some cases where just the 3rd string is an .011 or so, and tuned an octave higher. The overall sound of the high string tuning is harp like and will add a whole nother sound to a rhythm track. Kind of like having the high end of a 12 string playing. Sweet.

Hey you guitar experts, I have a question for you. My hubby has a Fender Model Gemini II acoustical guitar. It is probably 17 years old. It is in good condition with a few minor scratches. Any idea what it is worth?

I want to list it on ebay unless someone here is interested. :dance:

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks.

Act2, let me know when you list it so I can watch it please. :) I'd love to know a little about the buyer if you will.

David, I found that price range in my search as well.

Socks, here is some tuning specs on one of my favorites. Does anyone know who it is?

Guitar: '59 Fender Stratocaster with the vibrato bar anchored off the bass end of the bridge and four springs tightened all the way up; rosewood fretboard; jumbo frets.

Tuning: Tuned down one half-step (Eb).

Slide tuning: Tuned G string up to Ab, other strings left the same.

Strings: Heavy

Picks: Played with pick and finger; used the round end of the pick

Amps: Various

Recording: Almost all done "live" in the studio with very few overdubs of solos or vocals.

dmiller, I told my hubby when I posted that YOU would be the FIRST reply!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you so much for the info and the link.

ChattyKathy, I will let you know when it is listed. I am working today so it may be tonite or tomorrow when I don't have to work!!! I love my part-time job!!!!!!!!!! And I love EBAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wave:

Hey you guitar experts, I have a question for you. My hubby has a Fender Model Gemini II acoustical guitar. It is probably 17 years old. It is in good condition with a few minor scratches. Any idea what it is worth?

I want to list it on ebay unless someone here is interested. :dance:

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks.

I am also a seller on eBay and checked to see how sales have gone for the past 3 months for this guitar. Most listings started around $79-$89 and then did not sell - there were no bids. All of these were listed to be in excellent condition and had hardshell cases. However, if you check this again closer to Christmas, you may find more activity about it - also, if you wait 3 more years before selling it, it will be considered "vintage" and just that word alone can get you a little more $$$.

Act2, let me know when you list it so I can watch it please. :) I'd love to know a little about the buyer if you will.

David, I found that price range in my search as well.

Socks, here is some tuning specs on one of my favorites. Does anyone know who it is?

That's either Hendrix or SRV.... but I could be wrong...

Chas, I found the same thing today when I looked!!! Thanks for the info about waiting till around Christmas. Excellent idea. And the idea about waiting till it is vintage. :eusa_clap:

Chas, I found the same thing today when I looked!!! Thanks for the info about waiting till around Christmas. Excellent idea. And the idea about waiting till it is vintage. :eusa_clap:

I frequently do a search just by typing in "Vintage Ibanez" (just because I love Ibanez!) and then drill down to what tickles my fancy that way. I do the same with "Vintage Fender", too. You can see some great, rare stuff that way! It's actually how I found my bass guitar - I typed in "Vintage Bass" one day, as I was seriously considering getting a OLP Bass (a Music Man knockoff) when I found my baby.

I love my bass because it's vintage and has a great feel and vibe. I got it at a fair price because the seller listed it AFTER Christmas - not a good time, really, for that sort of thing. I don't think I would have gotten for $150 if I had tried before January. I think I would have probably been out bid.

Guitar: '59 Fender Stratocaster with the vibrato bar anchored off the bass end of the bridge and four springs tightened all the way up; rosewood fretboard; jumbo frets.

Tuning: Tuned down one half-step (Eb).

Slide tuning: Tuned G string up to Ab, other strings left the same.

Strings: Heavy

Picks: Played with pick and finger; used the round end of the pick

Amps: Various

Recording: Almost all done "live" in the studio with very few overdubs of solos or vocals.

That's going to be Stevie Ray Vaughn, Chatty, known for that year Strat. Hendrix played a right-handed Strat, left handed, etc. but never tuned a 1/2 step lower till later in his career or used heavy gauge strings, regularly . (SRV went up to .013's I've read). That's "heavy". :dance:

Edited by socks

Speaking of strings - do they still make Nylon Taped Bass Strings? Or is there something better? I have a Kramer Fretless Bass and was wondering about "appropriate" strings that would be a good fit with a fretless.