Guitar Talk

socks

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Love it! It's got everything, banjos, guitars, pigs, Bert Reynolds. Yeeehaaaaw!

"Shore do have a purdy mouth...." :biglaugh:

Speaking of retreating hair, Reynolds has the eternal hairline.

More Light, redone, remixed, for reasons also unknown - HERE

Thanks Dan. I'm using pc synth sounds for the organ with a little keyboard controller going into the pc thru the usb port. It's fun trying to be a one-handed Booker T. :biglaugh: You mentioned Sound Forge - which version do you have?

Chas, you made me think - I've been sort of waiting to see what would drop into the opening part. Way back in about '69, I played an acoustic version of this song. The first two songs I remember singing in fellowship were Camping in Canaan's Land and I saw the Light. Camping was hilarious, for some reason and I Saw the Light, which was a good 20 years old by then. My Mom remembered it from the midwest as a popular song. So I did a rock version of it with a couple bands, and then a fingerpicking version, that has the sound you're describing I think, with some sitar-y lines, a bridge that's like a jig. It's a train wreck. Hank wouldn't recognize it, no doubt. I'm not a country/bluegrass picker by any means, as you can hear.

Anyhoo, you gave me an idea for the intro - this is my first shot at it - Eastern Light Through a Midwestern Window?

:)

Edited by socks

I was invited last night to go to an outdoor concert, it was awesome !! They're a Canadian band, but maybe some of you have heard of them. I couldn't believe the number of different guitars they kept playing and when they brought out the "mandolin" MY KNEES JUST WENT WEAK !!! Blue Rodeo is the name of the band. Here's two of the songs they played last nite.............................

HERE

HERE

Edited by Cowgirl

Wow, I like those songs cowgirl. Nice singer, and the instruments, guitar, sound great. And Mando too. :) Candian, 'ey? Wonder if Ala's heard of them. Nice tunes!

Chatty, hopefully my contagions aren't too odiferous. :biglaugh:

Last shot for awhile, think this sort of rounds it out - Are We Sick of This Yet? G's and A's and E's in Close Proximity

:wave: (I'm noticing that Windows Media Player seens to sound a little truer on mp3's than Real Player...? Dunno for sure, but the mp3 seems to come across with more hiss in the RPP. Have to work on that)

Edited by socks

Chatty, hopefully my contagions aren't too odiferous. :biglaugh:

I would say that the spread of emotions from one to another is quite apropos when the contagions are brought on by a guitar in hand. However I have heard tell of a redolence of mixture coming from Rick's chest when playing his resonator without a shirt on, he tends to singe his hairs. You male guitar players will have to discus that beings us women ain't likely to have that problem. :biglaugh:

You sound so dang good Socks! Thank you for sharing with us.

Yeah, Dan, Sound Forge does the trick! It's a pretty powerful program and was pretty easy for me to learn the basics on. I like it.

Chatty, we are glad to have you back! :eusa_clap: How's it going fer ya? I may need photos of the singed chest hairs though, if Rick's got any. That may be more information than I need, but some comparison shots of the male versus female differences would be useful. For scientific purposes of course. :biglaugh:

Thanks cowgirl! Glad you like it. I've added some more parts to the end of this thing. Over the speakers it sounds "squished", compression is way over the top I think. It'll need a remix, after my ears recover - Is That Light Bulb In Yet? The new stuff is as the beginning and the "end", sorry guys if you give 'em a listen, the files are coming out 5-6 megs, so they're a tad slow loading. :(

For something completely different, an orchestra-in-a-box. :) They're clean, don't take union breaks and work cheap! This will sound very familiar in parts I'm sure, but it's "original".

Hands in Time For that movie score gig I'm waiting on. Ha! :biglaugh:

Edited by socks

Chatty, we are glad to have you back! :eusa_clap: How's it going fer ya? I may need photos of the singed chest hairs though, if Rick's got any. That may be more information than I need, but some comparison shots of the male versus female differences would be useful. For scientific purposes of course. :biglaugh:

For something completely different, an orchestra-in-a-box. :) They're clean, don't take union breaks and work cheap! This will sound very familiar in parts I'm sure, but it's "original".

Hands in Time For that movie score gig I'm waiting on. Ha! :biglaugh:

I'll have to let Rick provide the hairs :unsure: but I did bring this (below) which is the best I could think of, and she's a darn good guitar player. Although I don't care for her music usually, now her playing oh yes!

You will have to tell me about that piece you last linked, I'll be honest and tell you I've missed weeks of this world here, would you please let me cheat and tell me.

And as to how it's going and your welcome back (that was very nice), well I have new hope for the future.

Now here is the picture for the female guitarist, but I don't think you'll find any hair. :biglaugh:

20341218_m.jpg

Socks --

Mathman listened to your version of I Saw The Light and gives you props for it. Great job!

Interesting Wikipedia link - the Telecaster to the right of the screen is just like Mathman's but his has a red shell pickguard insted of black, like the pic.

(My favorite pickguards are the ones called "MoTo pickguards" - not cuz they're that cool or anything but because of the name "Mother of Toilet"! LOL!)

Good stuff!

BTW - Socks - What did you use for effects on those songs? It sounds like it's got some reverb and something else going on... What's that?

Do share.... :)

Hmmm, well, Chattster, lessee... :) it's just a longish piece I wrote awhile back and have been messing around with. I'd like to score for film, which is probably a dream of many-a musician. I have a couple contacts I'm nurturing and started this for a project that didn't take off, which was fine. I call it "orchestra in a box" because it's all generated on my PC, using a keyboard connected to the PC and software that has all the instruments. I write the stuff, play it and record it on tracks and mix it, pretty much like anything else.

Edited by socks

Chas, I'm glad Mathman liked it! Cool. :dance: I'm using combinations of reverb and stereo digital delay, and flanging.

The flange is set to a very small sweep, just enough to get a "grind" going on a couple of the solo parts.

The delay is set to about 4-5 fast repeats, at about the same strength as the straight guitar sound.

That's got some reverb on it. In the double picking part towards the start, the arpeggio, it's all added. At the end there's 3 guitar leads, the first is almost straight with no flanging and a little delay, the second a fair amount added (about "20" out of 100 with flanging) and the 3rd just a little, maybe 5.

The voice has some delay added and the vocal harmony parts are chorused a little, trying to beef them up a little without adding more tracks. The chorusing is the same as for a guitar, just a little bit added seemed to help.

I think some of the mush/compression/green-alien sound I'm hearing is a combination of the preamp compression and these delays bouncing around. I try to model it after a "natural" setting based on a room model, in this case a studio set up with mic's set back a bit, but still close, intimate. Dunno. Does that make sense?

What a most pleasant thing to listen to while the sun shines outside. It gives the day potential. FANTASTIC!!!!!

I liked that other piece as well and my vision is seeing someone who can see it filling their need perfectly! :)

Your voice doesn't sound like you've aged a day Socks.

At my age, encouragement is dangerous! Thanks Chatty, I've never had a great voice, no secret there to anyone who's endured it, but I guess it's about the same as ever. But thanks. :) Someone with better pipes could something with it, I'm sure.

No other word for it dmiller. Alien artifacts of some sort. Insidious. And they propogate. I know it!

Strings?

I searched and searched, well, a little searching, for .010 "light" gauge flat wound strings and kept running into .011's, slightly heavier than desired. Walked into our local store to day to get some others and lo'n'behold, there were .010's right there on the rack. So I got some. I'm looking for a steady supplier, they seem to be scarce. :blink:

Interesting Wikipedia link - the Telecaster to the right of the screen is just like Mathman's but his has a red shell pickguard insted of black, like the pic.

Niiiice....Telecasters are really nice. The latest Guitar Player has a couple articles on Tom Petty and his band, and they've got an early 50's Broadcaster he says has been on most of their releases over the years. The photo is sweet - apparently they've never cleaned the guitar and the only modification is one replaced fret. Other than that, it's 'original'. Minus some serious neck/fretboard grunge. :biglaugh:

Edited by socks