• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OK --- question here. I need a better amp than the one I have for this ---

fender%20ashbury%20blue.jpg

Mine is actually a Guild Ashbory, but it looks the same. Just got it back from the *fix-it* shop.

Had a coupla loose wires inside that needed soldering, and that's been done.

Now -- the only amp I have here is a Crate ($99.00 special), and it doesn't deliver the sound.

Have been reading (with interest) about the tube amps, etc, ---

but I'm *electronically* impaired. I'd like something better for this thing, but ---

I know nothing about amps. What would work good for a bass like this??

Do I have to spend a lot to get a decent one?

Or can a decent one be found without dropping a bundle of money?

I took it to the local Schmidt's music store -- but true to form --

other customers were plugged in, and I couldn't hear myself think --

much less play!! :(

So I thought I'd toss out the question here. Is there a certain brand, or type to look for?

Might help me *cut to the quick*, and spend less time trying to decide. :)

Thank you in advance.

Hmmmmm.... So, you need help spending your money, huh?

I'm just the gal for the job! :)

Do you think you may gig with the amp? Do you just need something for practice?

I recommend you get at least 60W - that way you can practice or play out in small setting. If you think you're going to play out (gig) frequently, then get at least 100W. I also recommend you get a cabinate style - that means that your knobs, settings, jacks, etc., are all in one until with the speaker(s) - easier to tote around. I practice on my 100W amp, and only can play after the kids are in bed - I have no trouble turning it down low enough so they're not bothered by it. (It's also fun to crank it when they're not home! I love those moments!)

Let me explain that tube amps are great for guitars, but that the tubes would become loose and rattle if they were in a bass amp - I'm sure they make 'em, but from what I understand you should look for "solid state" for bass amps. You'll hear terms like "horn" (that's to amp your higher notes - more treble). Solid state amps can sound as good as tube amps these days - the Bassman is known for that, as it's also used by many guitar players. Hubby plugged his Martin into it the other night and I didn't think I was going to get my Bassman back ever again! LOL!

First off, the Fender Bassman amp gets a lot of good reviews. If you just need a practice amp, then something around 60W should do the trick. Fender also makes a Fender Rumble - stay away. It's cheesy sounding. The Bassman is the middle-priced amp that Fender has. The Rumble is the low-end price and there's a big diff.

Second, Peavey is known for their amps - the founder - Hartly Peavey, was an electronical engineer. The gear is the most rugged stuff out there and there's great tone from his amps - check Harmony Central for details.

Third, consider Carvin. They used to be know for their problems with electronics, but they've come a long way. The cool think about the Carvin bass amp is that you get a lot of bang for your buck and it's American made. (Stay away from anything else - look for Made in America or Japan - that's usually better quality in the long run, although I'm sure there's exceptions.

Finally, I like looking on eBay just to see how pricing may look on my wants. eBay, in my opinion, will give you a base-market-value for what it is that you're looking for. You'll be able to see what you can get for the $$ you've budgeted towards your new toy.

Then, come and tell us all about it!

Love this thread!

(Lemme know how you make out! Neat bass - I've always wanted to try one of those!)

That's very cool Invisible Dan. It sounds very - "live", like it has a pulse. And the end, like a great organ! :biglaugh: Very nice.

dmiller, I don't have much to add on the bass amp stuff, Chas-L makes a good point about the durability of solid state versus tubes. As to brands, I dunno. I found out a couple years ago a great recorded bass sound is to have the mid-range boosted up, with a little less low end bass and a moderate amount of treble. So, on a range of 1-10, sort of 5, 8, 4, something like that. I've fiddled with it and there's certainly a difference in the way it cuts through with a band sound with the mid's boosted a little. On the other hand, some things call for a lot of bottom end ooomph. So you'd want some watts, as Chas states, and consistency. Tubes do fluctuate in their sound, which adds some nice things for a guitar, but for a bass I'd want more control and consistency in the output. I just like that low-end funky butt bass sound! :dance:

Edited by socks

Socks - The "live" effect is perhaps more from the "TC Native Reverb" plug-in that I used for post mixing this little snippet. But the tremelo-like "pulse" beneath the sound which you very aptly described comes from my shaking fingers. It's a very sensitive instrument.

Thank you Chas. The instrument really can sound like a human voice, or a violin, or an organ, or even certain wind instruments. Which is perhaps why it's oft regarded the earliest version of a synthesizer. Hope I can pick up an amp half as nice as your beautiful new Fender, with which to sculpt other voices through the tone controls.

Speaking of tubes, the early tube versions of the Theremin made by the Victor RCA company are the most sought after, and expensive! I'd love to acquire one of those. :)

Danny

Well, HERE is my next project. It's ordered, but it may be 2 or 3 weeks before I have the time to start it. If all goes well, I plan to build a few more of thier effects. Some, including this one have different "mods" you can choose. Looks like it will be a lot of fun!

Rick

Bumpdee Chas!

B-Man, have you gotten the kit yet? Their stuff looks like a good deal. I'm wondering what you think of it. Downloadable schematics and instructions all look good. I'm itching to hit "buy" on their Screamer clone. It's a heck-a-deal, including the mod's, a real GAS maker.

I like their sound clips. Some very identifiable sounds coming out of that baby!

Aaaaand, how's the Bass amp search going dmiller? EBAY is calling..... :dance:

Edited by socks

Socks...Hit it my friend!

I'm building the compressor...something I don't have. But I want to do the "fully loaded chorus"...looks sweet! Can't get the entire kit now, but you can get the base kit with instructions for the mods, if you aren't afraid to drill your own holes.

My kit won't arrive till Thuresday. Ordered on a Holiday weekend...oh well. :)

I will post my progress (or lack thereof) :) here. :)

Rick

Best luck to you, Bluz, on your upcoming electronic project!

They are an awful lot of fun.

I've got my eye on Paia's "Midi-Brain", a cv-to-midi converter.

But I've got to see if it will work with my computer.

Danny

Danny, I wish I had an eighth of your IQ - scheesch.... I love 'puters and electronics, etc., and I love monkee-ing around with them, but I haven't dared recording yet. Do you record? What do you use? Tell me more... I'm thinking (and listening, of course)....

Danny, I wish I had an eighth of your IQ - scheesch.... I love 'puters and electronics, etc., and I love monkee-ing around with them, but I haven't dared recording yet. Do you record? What do you use? Tell me more... I'm thinking (and listening, of course)....

My recording tools have varied over the years - I began recording myself when I was about 16, using a succession of handheld cassette recorders, and then graduating from there to "multitracking" using two cassette decks, before finally picking up a portable Fostex X-15 4-track recorder sometime in the 80s;

but whoa! the recording capabilities computers provide are beyond what I could have imagined a few years ago. It's like having at one's disposal limitless tracks and effects.

Among the programs I use most often is Soundforge (for recording) and Cool Edit Pro for recording/multitracking/mixing, with an assortment of f/x plug-ins to clean up the sound and tailor the effects for each track.

I like these programs because they're quite straightforward and easy to use; while there have been other progs that I've tried which had left me scratching my head (I don't think I have as high an IQ as you may imagine, lol).

Danny

Nice stuff, I-Dan. :) I've been using some of this 3-day working a little myself. I've got a version of "I Saw the Light" been working on, which may get some harp from Mr. Lingo one o' these days. I've added voice to it, such as it is and it's still rough but it's at that point where I've heard it enought time and it needs a rest now. I still has a lot of holes for other parts, here and there, but this is the idea. I've been doing different versions of the tune since the 60's. Ol' Hank Williams did a good job. This is sort of a bluesy-gospel-socky kind of thing.

I Saw the Light

Hit okay, it might take a bit, sort of a big mp3er here.

Edited by socks

Speaking of guitar tablature, I ran across this site while rummaging around on the net - it's a Who site,

and has very well organized tab's of all their songs - GO HERE for an alpha list of all the Who's songs, and tab's! If you dig their tunes, it's got 'em.

From Chas ---

Hmmmmm.... So, you need help spending your money, huh?

I'm just the gal for the job! :)

So you want to help me spend my money, eh??

I'm thinking I might go broke reeeeally fast! ;)

Seriously -- thanks for the info about the amps. I don't *gig* much anymore,

so it would be for home use only.

The most I do these days is go to jam sessions, though I will do an occasional

square dance once in a while, and then it is strictly with the fiddle and mando.

We have plenty of accomplished bass players here, so no need for me

to take mine out in public, and make a real fool of myself!

But again -- thanks for the *tech stuff* -- now I need to go out and do some pricing. :)

I was just listening to "Dueling Banjos" as I was doing laundry, I know there's probably tons of versions out there, just wanted to know what's the best you have heard? Anyone?

P.S. I realize this is a guitar thread but the version I have been listening to has a guitar in it!

Cowgirl

Edited by Cowgirl

I was just listening to "Dueling Banjos" as I was doing laundry,

I know there's probably tons of versions out there,

just wanted to know what's the best you have heard? Anyone?

Back in the early 70's when that song came out,

every bluegrass group added it to their repetoire (sp?).

The very best version I have heard was done by Lester Flatt and the Nashville Grass.

It's out on record somewhere, but I heard it live at the Bean Blossom Bluegrass Festival.

This was back in the early to mid 70's, as Lester passed away in 1979.

Lester had long since split from Earl Scruggs, and had his own band called the Nashville Grass.

Lester had a young upstart mandolin picker (of about 13 or 14 years old),

by the name of Marty Stuart who absolutely tore that song apart!!

I don't even remember who was picking banjo, but Marty's mandolin stole the day.

This is the same Marty Stuart who is now so big in country music.

He got his professional start in bluegrass with Lester way back when, and took it from there.

They played it about 5x's faster than the way Eric Weisberg did in the movie,

and instead of the guitar and banjo *dueling* it out ---

it was the mando vs. the banjo.

Here's a pic of the stage set in the woods there at Bean Blossom.

It's bigger now -- but this is what it looked like back in the 1970's.

(the caption at the top of the stage says -- Back Home Again, in Indiana):

bb_06_78_007_sm3.jpg

Edited by dmiller

DMiller

I'm drooling here, I would love to hear that version you mentioned, being as part of it is done with the MANDOLIN!!! I looked quite a bit for it last nite but couldn't come up with anything, if you find it sometime, could you post it on here?? Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Thanks

Cowgirl

michaelshivaposter.jpg