GreaseSpot Cafe

Guitar Talk

socks

I participated in an informal guitar gathering this weekind. Saturday night was done in a small & pretty Presbyterian church. One of the guys brought recording equipment and posted a number I played. I hate to post it because of the memory lapse and all the nasty clams, but I'm posting it because the sound he came up with is so wonderful. A pair of mics on the guitar at around 12", then a pair about 8' away & 10' high for hall sound. No reverb, no processing.

http://www.ehmz.org/ttt/VintonWeb/VintonPi...usic/Music.html

Clcik on the mp3 link

The piece is "At the Cradle" by Edvard Grieg, a number he wrote about his daughter, their only child, who died at age 2, I believe. Even with the clams I think you can hear the love, tenderness, intense longing to hold her once more & the sense of lingering...not wanting to let go just yet.

This one piece grieg played for the rest of his life.

And you thought Norwegians had no soul!

Oh, the guitar is by Lucio Nunez of San Antonio. spruce top, ziricote back & sides

Edited by TheEvan

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ah Tom, 1953s "Invaders from Mars" - it's almost like watching a lost "body-snatcher" episode of "Leave it to Beaver".

The music is really striking in this, in that, while three other sci-fi movies that came out earlier ("The Thing", "It Came from Outer Space" and "The Day the Earth Stood Still") all employed the Theremin (and the same Theremin player, Samuel Hoffman), "Invaders from Mars" departed from this trend and used very bizarre choral arrangements fed through an echo chamber, accompanied by an organ, which played each time someone fell victim to "the sandpit". The music is credited to a "Raoul Krashner" (sp.) - which is not a composer but actually a music company which marketed music to the television and movie industry. They had all their music cheaply recorded overseas (no doubt by fine European orchestras) to circumvent the American composer/musician union at the time. It's not absolutely certain who had actually composed that wild music (though the name Gillman has been tossed about), aside from the fact that it was a small German chorus (comprised of 5-7 people) which did the "singing martian" cues.

What a good, creepy movie, especially for kids! I remember that movie creeping me out good, watching it on our family black&white tv during the 60s. And psychologically - out of all the sci-fis of the 50s era - "Invaders from Mars" perhaps struck a deeper nerve with kids, as it is actually filmed from the perspective of a child, who witnessed a flying saucer landing in the sandpit behind his house, and from thereon, watched his parents and townfolk becoming "possessed" by the spirits of Martian-Commie hoodlums (identifiable from the implants on the back of their necks - which may have played a certain influence on the formation of modern alien abduction beliefs)

To accentuate the child's perspective, the set designer (R. Metzies) from "Gone with the Wind" was hired to do the set production for this movie. Furniture and doors were deliberately built higher and larger, and a number of camera angles seemingly shot from below waist level. Hence, everything appaered larger and higher to the child's eyes.

It's a very fascinating, well-done movie, unfortunately hampered by its over-use of military stock-footage toward the end.

Tom, if I recall the giant ant sounds in "Them", they were more a chirping sound -how this was done, I don't know at the moment - but it didn't sound like a theremin. But it's been awhile since I watched that movie. And I may be confusing some stuff with the giant grasshopper movie ("The Beginning of the End").

I'm trying to recall the Vincent Price movie of which you speak...wondering if it was one of those William Castle productions (like "House on Haunted Hill").

Chat, I think spacey, dreamy music is a good thing too. Not everybody goes for that sort of thing nowadays, but I enjoy listening (and trying to put together) music that transports one elsewhere.

Speaking of dreams, the attached song was inspired by a rift I heard in a dream. That doesn't happen too often but I love it when it does. This was recorded just before the last song I posted, - it's something of a "flipside" to that single.

Same guitar, same process of recording, but using only slight reverb just to give it some air (it probably could have used more). Again, I don't know how "original" it is but it was fun to do.

Danny

Colchester_Lights_DJM.MP3

I don't know Rick... could be... I went and read the comments/reviews of "The Abominable Dr. Phibes" and it could be... I just thought it was from earlier in my youth... I no doubt saw TADP at the drive in since it came out in 1970 (I would've been 16) but I thought it was earlier... either way it made an impression, the scene I'm talking about is one where this guy picks up a pair of binoculars to look at something (a woman?) out the window and as he puts them to his eyes, springloaded spikes/nails pop out of the lenses...

...On another note, the two best sit-coms ever were "Green Acres" and "F-Troop"... IMHO

(sorry for the off topicness)

Beautiful, as always, Evan! :eusa_clap:

Such a bittersweet song - Greig's music is always very expressive. We've recently discovered him via a children's show that my boys love - Little Eiensteins - which feature his music quite frequently. Sounds like there's a key change in this - is that so? Or is it incidentials? (At about mid-way through the piece.) Either way, it's a pleasure to listen to.

Not to take away from your performance or anything, but why is a mistake called a 'clam'? I thought just bassists used that term... :biglaugh:

Impeccable playing? Those clams get worse with each listening!

But it is beautiful music and the recording is tops.

I suspect (outside of yourself and perhaps other guitar players there) most folks in audience

probably didn't have a clue. That's the first time I've heard that piece by Grieg - I often don't hear pieces by him outside of "Morning", "Hall of the Mountain King" and his piano concerto in A minor.

Danny

I participated in an informal guitar gathering this weekend. Saturday night was done in a small & pretty Presbyterian church. One of the guys brought recording equipment and posted a number I played. I hate to post it because of the memory lapse and all the nasty clams, but I'm posting it because the sound he came up with is so wonderful. A pair of mics on the guitar at around 12", then a pair about 8' away & 10' high for hall sound. No reverb, no processing.

http://www.ehmz.org/ttt/VintonWeb/VintonPi...usic/Music.html

Click on the mp3 link

The music has the sense that even though direction may change there is a continuance that lies just below all else going on. It's such a tender and sad piece. And you play beautifully. Thank you for sharing with us. This thread would be lacking without your music.

Chat, I think spacey, dreamy music is a good thing too. Not everybody goes for that sort of thing nowadays, but I enjoy listening (and trying to put together) music that transports one elsewhere.

Speaking of dreams, the attached song was inspired by a rift I heard in a dream. That doesn't happen too often but I love it when it does. This was recorded just before the last song I posted, - it's something of a "flipside" to that single.

Same guitar, same process of recording, but using only slight reverb just to give it some air (it probably could have used more). Again, I don't know how "original" it is but it was fun to do.

Danny

I started putting words to it as I heard it. Yup, you did mighty fine on that. More please.

I was talking to my best friend tonight and later recalled the first time I'd heard him play which would be only the beginning of what I would be able to hear. He knows I'll embarrass him but he forgives me. I listen to his music and hear the things I hear from you incredible players on this thread. You all love to play and it shows.

And I hear his heart and soul coming out of the strings with similarities to some of my favorites like SRV, Clapton and Knopfler. He's even shocked himself at times. He'll stop playing and laugh and go whoa did you hear that and we'll laugh at his incredible shyness about it all. You men and women that can make yourselves known thru your chords amaze me.

I think there is something that soothes a soul in music, the right music for the right time. And I prefer guitars. I grew up around them and I still remember the sound of my dad with his steel guitar and metal fingertips. He can still make some young men turn green.

(Rick, I didn't get too outlandish did I? hahaha)

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

It's only because I have to get a nap now that I'll let you win. (yeah right :unsure: uh huh).

You better get your butt (speaking of butts lmao) over to Nostalgia before I send those dogs they have in Canada after you.

Everyone go to sleep now. :wave:

Hey that was quick, I didn't even see you slip in there David.

Good headoff! :)

Hey, thanks for that link, I marked it to look at further.

Very nice performance, Even! Clams, with a nice white wine sauce, aaaah! Can't hear them, it's well done, brother!

Chas, there's clams and there's "hogs". :biglaugh: Hogs be the BAD ones! But nary a shelled friend or a curled tail in that one!

Chatty, I know you're an EC fan, and I heard this one online this weekend. I'm unable to keep up with his releases these days, and hadn't heard it before.

EC of the velvet voice and hand....and the "One Track Mind"

Edited by socks