GreaseSpot Cafe

Guitar Talk

socks

Socks,

After reading your post I do not even care if there are flying bugs big enough to carry off your first born.

How delightful your view of Florida is.

We are looking at the whole Tampa Bay area which includes just up the road from John and Hope but not as east as Ted and Moony. We actually have a couple houses that mom is going to look into because they are on her street and in both cases the husband has passed away and the wives cannot bear to be there so are staying with their children. There is a possibility one of them may consider renting to us on a short term until we can get established.

Also my mom is huge on networking with friends and she already has feelers out for my employment and hubby is contacting an old friend he worked with this weekend. While I was there I found out they are expecting 30,000 families to move into the Bay area within the next few months. The area is booming again like it was when we were there.

And fresh fish.....yummy....also the music.....yeah. I grew up going to the Keys and you know whose music you hear down there! Yup the place has those parrot heads. heehee

Our house is beginning to look like we are moving which may seem early since it will not be until April but we plan to make this a easy move and not have to fret towards the end.

Kathy

I never made it back to your site last night but will tonight.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When you visit the myspace site of my brother from the sock drawer you'll see that he has posted a pic of our Amazing Sea Monkey friends as well!

As to the ball of hail I'm holding in my hand, I picked it up out of the backyard about 3 years ago... it was one of hundreds that had found their way there...

I suspect I'll be back a few years before I make that Disney trip and when I do it will be in the off season when Floridians get a break on the tickets. :rolleyes:

And have you noticed that the scallops you get anywhere but yourself aren't really scallops but plugged fish of some sort. Those real puppies are yummy and something I certainly look forward to.

I wonder if the women still stand by the road side in thongs selling hot dogs. They use to make a killing. :wink2:

That's one of the benni's of being a Floridian alright, when you're right down the road Chatty! Off-season is the ONLY way to do the Di'ney and Epcot trip. Wonder what tickets run these days? I confess it wasn't my favorite place at first, although the Mrs. worked there for awhile when it opened so we went a couple times on Mickey. Then we pretty much only visited with the kidlings while we were in Tampa when we could plan around slow times. Couple times, was enough for me!

Scallops - yah. Fresh ones are like nothing else. The ones we got ran from small to mid-sized and were like little mouthfuls of silvery sweetness. YIKES! God's Marshmallows.

I go on to folks out here about Grouper. With rare exception I've never seen any seafood I didn't like. Grouper ranks Top 5. And Tampa's the place to get it. Or was, I hope that hasn't changed. I remember Shells, which was a good place to eat and reasonable. And a little place, sort of a shack in the wall - a few blocks off Dale Mabry, sort of on the north of town, can't place the road or name. Served on wooden picnic tables with funky paper placemats...? Probably a lot of places like it. Fresh Grouper fingerlings with fries, pretty cheap. Oh yeah. :eusa_clap:

Hot dogs roadside! How bout a Grouper Dog? :biglaugh:

There was a big Thoroughbred's on the east side of town and Hope posted while back that Sam Ash opened up there a few years ago.

Got a link to a site on myspace, blues harmonica, and it's some really good sounding music. Guy out of Phoenix Arizona. Bob Corritore Loved this guy's sound, Chicago blues style. Worth checking out!

Edited by socks

My favorite area of Disney World is the replicas of other countries, hmmm that's Epcot maybe. But Disney World is best enjoyed with the youth IMHO. I believe the rates are in the $40 range during season.

That water that jumps from one hole into another is cool though, remember that. :)

I am going to make sure I look up those places you remember to see if still there.

God's marshmallows. :biglaugh:

And I think they stopped those women from selling hotdogs grouper dogs due to accidents happening if I remember correctly.

That link made me think of Chicago Blues as soon as I opened it. Fine music!

I went to see Jeff Healy and his Jazz Wizards yesterday.

What a treat it is to sit there and be feet away and watch these guys play and jam for hours.

Yesterday we were treated with Jeff's wife singing one song with them with their 2 yr old son Derek in her arms the whole time! He's a clone of his father. Cute as a button.

So here is Jeff doing his Rock n' Roll thing... I've posted this one before I think...

And here he is with his Jazz Wizards...Jeff on the trumpet .

Jeff's Jazz Wizard's play most Saturday afternoons. Anyone can walk in off the street, sit and listen... to 3 hrs. of great music with usually special guests invited!

Oh... it was my niece's birthday (she's 22) and she got up and sang a song with Jeff and his clarinetist on the piano... She sang Someone to Watch Over Me. Jeff introduced her .... as doing her debut! It was cool to say the least!

:biglaugh:

Edited by A la prochaine

Q.--What is the difference between a blues musician and an extra large deluxe pizza?

A.--The pizza can still feed a family of 4 :doh:

But anyhoo-----I saw Socks' post on Bob Corritore. I must admit I had never heard of him so I looked him up. When I read the liner notes for his "All Star Blues Sessions" CD, it was like reading a who's who of blues guitarists. I think a couple of them are from your side of town,Socks.(Rusty Zinn and Kid Ramos) I definately need to check this guy out. Thanks,Socks!

Kathy-----Will they let you wear cowboy boots where you're headed? :wink2:

I hope so cause I found a really gorgeous pair made of red suede that cost only $3.99. :)

But my western coats will be too warm for Florida. :(

Cute joke dude!

I meant to tell you this before but this seems the right time. Sammy of D*lta S*eiks will be out of the office for a few days with his wife who has been suffering from cancer off and on for some time now and it appears the last efforts haven't worked and there is nothing more they can do. She will know when the results come in on Wednesday if it is back full force again. Sammy looks like he has aged 10 years in the past few months. Please pray for them if you would waysider.

:biglaugh: waysider, that's guy's all over it. I was really surprised. It's Chicago style blues alright too. West coasters too yeah.

There used to be a lot of clubs in the SF Bay Area that hosted and supported blues back in the 60's and 70's. A lot of them seem to have closed up or changed hands. Most of the smaller ones never paid much, usually a per centage of the door. But your typical bar/club would pay a guarantee if you drew a lot of people that liked to drink and stayed around to do it. :biglaugh: I remember playing a lot some years, 3-4 nights a week between bands, but a lot of weeks a 100 bucks total was doing good. After gas and refreshments there's not much left. :B)

Count me in on the prayers.

I may have my disageements with TWI but God is still on the throne and he can do miracles.

Speaking of "meant to tell ya's"--------The Blues Station closed its doors for good after the New Years Eve show. The last act to play there was----Scotty Bratcher!

Speaking of funky Chicago style guitarists, Jimmy Reed. (And HERE too) Top 10 all time favorites, although a very personal style of guitar for his songs. Classic harmonica too, really the basis of his whole sound (with Chuck Berry) is the foundational driver for the Stones sound.

I wasn't in California in the 70's and found out too late he'd moved out to Oakland. It's one of the reasons I'm trying to keep track of musician's I like better, as I'd have certainly tried to track him down if I'd known that. Not that he'd been well enough or willing to see people but I could have made a pest of myself, y'know and would have loved to just meet him. His tunes have stood up so well. His relationship with his wife Mary over the years both as spouses and co-songwriters was interesting. His style is very listenable and simple but very hard to do right. He was an Original, to be sure. Died at 51, way too young, but he'd drank all his life.

I've got an album around somewhere, the only one left of his original recordings released on Vee Jay that I have. I used to buy his 45's when I was about 10, 11 and loved the "B" sides which were typically even looser and more loopy than the "A" side. The album I have contains one release from all the major years of recording he did, with an interview asking him about each song for each year. Reed tells a story or tale about each one and how he wrote it. He sounds like he's 70 but he was still very young at the time. Talks about "Mama Reed", and having a "cup of tea" together. Wonderful but sad at the same time as he sounds like he had to be propped up to do it. Dunno, but he made music that still shows up today - Big Boss Man, Ain't That Loving You Baby, Goin' to New York, Ain't That A Shame, Honest I do. All keepers.

Edited by socks

Jimmy Reed ---Oh, Yeah!

I think God invented the shuffle expressly for Jimmy Reed. That "first position" style ( same harp as key being played) seems to be finding its way back into the mainstream again. Surprisingly, the "rack style" playing( harp in a neck holder while playing guitar) is also becoming popular once again. I guess economics of keeping a bunch of people on the road plays a big factor. Two guys who can really bring it to life are Paul Oscher(former harp man for Muddy Waters) and Mr. Downchild(Steve Brazier). Both could easily list either harp or guitar as their primary instrument. There is also a guy who was featured on XM 74(Bluesville) about a month ago who is also able to capture that same simplistic and soulful feeling that Jimmy Reed captured. Wouldn't ya just know it, I can't recall his name at the moment, but when you listen to him, it never dawns on you that this is all one guy(but not in a novelty kind of way). He plays rack and electric in a rhythm kind of way like J.R. There is a big harp blowout that happens every year in the Bay Area. Mark Hummel organizes it. Top notch players from all over the planet come together on one stage. He has been doing these for probably 15+ years and CDs are readily available.(did that sound too much like a commercial?)-------

-------But Wait! ------There's More!--------- :)

Kathy--------Yep. Blues takes on a lot of different faces that are often associated with geographic regions. There was Freddy King (The Texas Cannonball) ,SRV, Johnny Winter and a host of others playing that "Texas" sound. Back in Chicago you had Muddy Waters ,Howlin' Wolf and on and on. In the north Mississippi region you had "hill music" that had a droning quality. R.L. Burnside brought it to the publics' awareness. Detroit had a very distinctive sound as did Atlanta and St. Louis. Then there are people like Buddy Guy who can play it all as the situation dictates.

I still have your things also. But I promise to return them. I guess you could say I am taking advantage of your saying I could hold onto them longer. :wink2:

Jazz ain't my thing though so I've noticed blues that lean that way I don't enjoy as much as the real down home from the gut stuff. But then that is probably because I love guitars rather than horns also.

And I swear I have not spent this much time in front of this machine for ages. It must mean there are no CSI's on TV right now. :blink:

Yah, the Chicago stuff really inspired a generation, waysider! And there was a real difference in sound from the other stuff that developed regionally.

Chicago was a home for a lot of southern musicians that migrated north, black (and white) poor looking to improve their economics. Industrialization was the magnet, really. Auto factories, food processing, manufacturing, all of it brought the jobs that drew the people. The Service too, Army etc. took people all over the country. The way the music came along is fascinating. The factory versus the field - the new environment and the exposure to other sounds seemed to make that blend of blues that came up. Machinery, cars, electricity - electric guitars, amps, microphones, drums.

Jimmy Reed is a good example again, as he's probably more accurately described as "rhythm and blues", the sound that Chicago really did so much to develop. Something you can dance to. :) I think that's what makes him such a pivotal figure, given his recording career. His guitar and harmonica combo was classic country blues. The rhythm style where the guitar plays the bass part and left hand of a piano figure, and the chord and lead riffs on top, all in one package. It's a simple style, but the way Reed whacked away at it he took all those little traditional blues figures and made them into song statements, with a "hook". An odd kind of genius, almost.

My mom grew up in southern Illinois and heard a lot of the music that was around in the 30's and 40's and when she heard my Reed 45's, she recognized that sound right off the bat as stuff she'd heard here and there, probably by people that never ever got near a recording studio. She didn't really like it, but was kind of tickled that I was buying these records now. :) Interesting the way it came up and out.

Edited by socks