Guitar Talk

socks

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Green Acres-haaaaaaaa. I love it. Arnold the pig right?

Here's my warped version of the theme song-(sorry if I've wrecked the show for you)

Headquarters is the place to be.

Dorm livin' is the life for me.

Lies spreadin' out so far and wide.

Darlin' I love ya but give me the cyanide

Sorry, back to the original question? What did I get for Xmas. I got the new version of band in a box and their recording studio called power tracks. Santa was goooooooood. I'm so exicted I feel like a pig in heat. Arnold that is!

Edited by polar bear

Santa gave me a new case for my camera that can fit my bigger lens...yeh!!!

Also... right before christmas i went to an exhition at the Art Gallery... and saw the works of Alfred Eisenstadt... OH MY GOD!!! He was pretty much one of the first photojournalists in North America.

What a thrill to see his amazing photos of people...

I also saw Ansel Adams works...they were showing at the same time. I really thought Eisenstadt's works were better...because of the subject matter.

So long of it was... i bought myself his book ... that was a huge present to me!!!

OH... I also got a new couch, dishwasher and kitchen cupboard...that ain't too bad!!!

Green Acres-haaaaaaaa. I love it. Arnold the pig right?

Here's my warped version of the theme song-(sorry if I've wrecked the show for you)

Headquarters is the place to be.

Dorm livin' is the life for me.

Lies spreadin' out so far and wide.

Darlin' I love ya but give me the cyanide

Sorry, back to the original question? What did I get for Xmas. I got the new version of band in a box and their recording studio called power tracks. Santa was goooooooood. I'm so exicted I feel like a pig in heat. Arnold that is!

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

I usually don't get, or give gifts on Christmas.

But this year I decided to splurge and get a second set of those

WONDERFUL violin strings, for my best fiddle.

I put them on over the holidays, and he/ she/ it sounds better than ever before.

Now my quandry is -- was the gift for me, or the fiddle??

:spy: :blink: :spy:

Yah, Tom, Satch is well, Satch. I globbered awhile back somewhere about the two times I've seen him live and I believe this DVD is from the weekend he played at the Fillmore when my daughter and I saw him. While I would never suggest that Clapton isn't "god", if he ever turned out not to be, Satch could easily step in. :biglaugh:

I'm quietly fondling the DVD case and anticipating a full first viewing this weekend. Can't WAIT.

I also went and picked up some new strings dmiller, and used it as an excuse to glom onto a couple Gretsch "Eletromatics" and play them for awhile. Very nice guitars. I kind of fell into one which felt very comfy and am pondering one now as the possible all-around f-hole, big body electric I've been looking for. I was impressed with the tonal qualities, and the playability of the neck. Dunno. The one I liked runs about 800 bucks, no case. I'm not there at this point, but y'know. GAS. GAS. :) I can't picture selling anything to finance it, although I have a piece or two of hardware that coooould go towards. As The Girl likes to say "we want to ADD to the collection, we don't want to SUBTRACT from the collection". These words of wisdom that far outstrip her years indicate to me I've raised the dear girl right, and I'd be a derlict dad if I set a bad example, so I am progressing with that in mind.

I'm glad everyone's holiday was a good one!

Edited by socks

I'm catching up on threads…thanks for sharing your Christmas goodies…As for me - wow wee – got LOTS of music for Christmas!!!!!!!!!! Blind Faith: London Hyde Park 1969 DVD – hadn't watched it yet…Fathers and Sons after Waysider's recommendation – I love it! Tonto likes it too – she's got a thing for those old blues singers [this CD has Muddy Waters]…John Mayer's Heavier Things – I put it on my wish list after Ala Ala[/b]] posted the words to Daughters – the whole CD is great! The London Howlin' Wolf Sessions with Eric Clapton, Steve Winwood, Bill Wyman and Charlie Watts. I used to have this on vinyl – I've been savoring this moment of audible impact for sometime now. All great tunes – I especially like I ain't superstitious, Sittin' on top of the world, Built for comfort, Wang Dang Doodle – uh er – guess I like the whole thing…Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon – lost a couple of their albums to a basement flood – thought this would be a good one to have on CD.

Besides several lumps of coal, my music gifts continues: Corrine Bailey Rae [untitled CD] – I caught her on Saturday Night Live and had to get her CD! Sweet voice…Diana Krall's From this moment on – I think this is my fifth CD of her stuff plus I have her concert at the Montreal Jazz Festival on DVD. Man, there's a lot of talent jammed packed into that cute little lady! Larry Coryell's Spaces – with John McLaughlin, Chick Corea, Miroslav Vitous and Billy Cobham. The CD has Rene's Theme a killer tune I had on an old LP of Coryell's – quoting from the liner notes of the CD: "…Coryell generally delivers more rapid-fire strings of notes, while McLaughlin leaves more spaces and is perhaps more into texture, but each player jumps into the other's most characteristic territory on numerous occasions. Rene's Theme is the album high point, a gut-string duet that finds the two guitarists in a Django Reinhardt bag…"

Tony Bennett's Duets: An American Classic – I caught him doing some tunes on TV with some of the folks on this CD and had to get it! And to round things off – U2's The Best of 1990-2000 and ColdPlay's X&Y.

And – I've been saving the best for last…trumpets and drum roll please…I finally get to one-up Ala on the concert going circuit! Yup – Tonto and I came out of semi-retirement – for just one night anyway…went to a concert: Delbert McClinton and Al Green. Etta James was supposed to be on the bill too but was sick. Delbert was phenomenal – Tonto has three of his CD's – which I'll have to borrow! What energy! Sometimes the band's sound reminded me of Tower of Power and sometimes a throw back to that old honky tonk sound. Al Green was good – I think some of his stuff was filler to make up for Etta James being out sick.

I wish everybody a Happy New Year :drink: – and I'll see you at the Spot [er…uhmm…Grease Spot that is – I was trying to craft an inspirational phrase like Zig Zigglar…anyway…I promise to be funnier next year].

Edited by T-Bone

437_New_To_Use_For_Web_Sites_006.jpg

This is over 4,000 years old.

I could've sworn I saw that guy at the last Duluth Blues Fest!!

:confused:

(It's a HUGE affair here each year -- resurrecting artists from the past,

and showcasing them here at BayFront Park.)

But maybe not THAT far past!!

:biglaugh:

Edited by dmiller

437_New_To_Use_For_Web_Sites_006.jpg This is over 4,000 years old.

Say...is that the bass player in Stone Temple Pilots?

Socks - Happy Birthday to you - if that's your real birthday - and if Socks is your real name...well..whether or not...that's okay...even if it's all virtual - you're very real in my book - love yah and God bless yah!!!!!

Did anyone happen to watch PBS lastnight? (12/31/06)...

There was a special with Garrison Keillor for New Year's Eve. It was in Nashville, TN at the Ryman Auditorium.

Here's a copy & paste from the web site:

GARRISON KEILLOR'S NEW YEAR'S EVE SPECIAL premieres on December 31, 2006 on PBS (check local listings).

A PRAIRIE HOME COMPANION's Garrison Keillor hosts a live New Year's Eve broadcast from Nashville's legendary Ryman Auditorium, the original home of the GRAND OLE OPRY. The festive GREAT PERFORMANCES telecast will be all the merrier due to the Opry's role in providing Keillor with his original inspiration for an eclectic radio show that went on to become the favorite it is today. Together with special guests -- Emmylou Harris, Robin and Linda Williams, Rhonda Vincent and the Rage, Sam Bush, Buddy Emmons, Jerry Douglas, Cowboy Jack Clement, and many others -- Keillor will bid 2006 "Auld Lang Syne" along with "sound effects guy" Fred Newman, Rich Dworsky, the Guy's All-Star Shoe Band, and other series regulars for a New Year's countdown like no other.

The Ryman Auditorium, although synonymous with country music, has played host to a diverse range of musicians, dancers, actors, and speakers throughout its 114-year history. Garrison Keillor returns to the historic venue for this special, year-end broadcast of A PRAIRE HOME COMPANION, which last aired from the Ryman in 2004. Read an interview with the versatile host in Dialogue. For additional details about his popular radio show and several of its regular performers, check out the profiles. Browse the Bluegrass Timeline to learn about the legends of the genre, most of whom appeared on the GRAND OLE OPRY.

Visit the Web companion of Garrison Keillor's debut appearance on the series, GARRISON KEILLOR'S INDEPENDENCE DAY SPECIAL, in July 2006.

Special funding for the program was provided by Gather.com and The Starr Foundation.

---------------------------------------------------

Anyhow, there was some AWESOME picking last night - lots of Blue Grass - did you get to see it?

The thing I was most impressed with was the Dobro playing - WOW! - and the mandolin playing - I guess they wail on that thing in Blue Grass. It was really a great show!