GreaseSpot Cafe

Guitar Talk

socks

Well it sure was! dmiller, thank you. Clapton is secure on his throne though, we can be assured. :biglaugh:

I've been reading and listening but not posting a lot here lately, but that's sure to change soon. I am ever so glad the participants in our thread post as you do and when, etc. as it makes for a very comfy ongoing discussion. :) There's some pow'rful contributions made here. And there's always room for more!

Evan's "guitars? did someone say guitar's?" is an apt sub title to the thread, as it's always time to talk guitar. :dance: I really enjoy reading and hearing what's come down the pike here. (insert Stimpy's Dance of Joy)

Edited by socks

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just spent the last hour (or 2 or 3), reading the first ten pages of this thread,

and clicking links. It's all good --- from then till now. ;)

Saw a few unanswered questions that still need to be addressed about guitars --

(remember --- guitars? What this thread was about originally?)

:biglaugh:

Edited by dmiller

Not sure if this has come up on this thread, but I found it interesting and thought you might enjoy.

Very cool clip G-Tech. Thanks!

Speaking of percussive sounds - drummers. And cowbells. Where would rock drumming be without the cowbell?

24 Cowbell skanks that made the world a better place. Before headbanging had a name there was this guitar player.

Rock Perfection in a Les Paul Jr. And an extra twist of Friday Volume goes to all who know who he played with before this group.....? :dance:

Edited by socks

So... have you posted on the Cheech & Chong Papers thread about what you musta just done with them papers... spy.gif evildenk.gif spy.gif

As a matter of fact! But actually, I was stealing a line from from stand up comedian Bob Nelson who does a routine about "dumb NFL footbal players" and he mimics one player doing a United Way commercial who says; "Football is my life If it weren't for football, I wouldn't be playing football today!!"

Have any of you ever seen his stuff? Damn he is funny. Seems like there was a Bob Nelson "following" in the Way Corps back in the mid eighties, and everybody was quoting his routine. As a matter of fact, Bob Nelson played the goofy husband of Arnold Schwarzenegger's female partner in "Kindergarten Cop". Bob Nelson is a truly funny guy. If you ever get a chance to see him, or see one of his stand up routines on video/CD, you will not regret it...

And, maybe he plays....guitar?

http://graphics10.nytimes.com/images/2006/...ce/video190.jpg

A video fron the NEW YORK TIMES (I hope you can click this link, and see it.

Otherwise you have to sign up to the NYTonline, to see it.)

A Bluegrass Blog I log into occasionally, had this link to an article on "String Theory". ;)

Edited to say --the video link didn't work, but notice (if the pic works),

where the strings end up on the body of the guitar. :blink:

Edited by dmiller

Here's some explanation of the design and it's benefits ChattyKathy - HERE

The point about placement of the strings at the outer edge of the soundboard is reasonable. Picture the average hollowbody electric guitar that has 4 knobs spread across the body, near the bridge. That placement of the potentiameters as they're called, the washers and small bolts that hold it in, effect how the top of the guitar vibrates, basically deadening and reducing it's ability to do so. When those knobs are position closer to the edge of the guitar top, it opens up the sound some, allows the top to vibrate more freely. (but then they're further from the guitarists picking hand, so there's a compensation to be made. Guitarists tend to like having knobs closer)

This guitar has the standard side-of-the-body controls setup, at the top, and that's a good idea for an acoustic as it gets all that stuff off the top.

Also on this guitar the bridge piece that the strings terminate at, on the top of the guitar, is set up but the strings don't go through the body right through it or right behind it, at the middle of the body. Those six holes and the effect it has tof pressure and pull being in the middle of the top aren't issues - the holes are at the edge where there's more strength, as the top is bound to the side there anyway. They've been able to do a design on a top that for the most part is more controllable, there's more available open space to get sound from where there's no intrusion from hardware or holes, etc.

Couple others things on this guitar make it a nice sounding instrument. I've only played one briefly, at a Gutar Center, but there were only a couple of them.

Edited by socks

Would the tuning process be different? And would it tend to stay in tune longer do you know?

(I hope those ain't stupid questions :unsure:)

I couldn't answer about staying in tune longer,

but just because they are *pegged* at a different location (not on the saddle),

the tuning process should be same, wouldn't you think?

Even if the string has more *length*, it still needs to go to pitch.