GreaseSpot Cafe

Guitar Talk

socks

I feel like Christmas morning. All the treasures awaiting me in y'all's words.

Thank you....thank you....thank you!

I don't know where to begin hardly but wanted to first thank David for his offer to send me a nut extender but the idea of going into the Guitar Store and asking some young man if he has a nut extender rather tickles me. :wink2:

And Socksman knows how to make us smile simply by saying hello.

I've printed pages from this thread before and I will again so I have these things to ponder before I make my shopping trip.

Again thank you all for your wonderful efforts and someday I'll link a song I played with my new toys.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Kathy -- I just got distracted from my web search for the proper way to wear a finger pick. Thinking about that guitar nut extender -- I remembered that I have one here at the house, and suddenly I was on a *mission* to find it.

I've got an old cigar box full of musical junk/ paraphenalia -- fiddle bridges, mandolin tuning pegs, fiddle pegs, mandolin nuts, banjo bridges, mandolin tailpieces, assorted picks, fiddle chin rests, a banjo mute (!!!!), and at the bottom of it all --- I found the nut extender.

I will never use this thing again. If you want it -- pm me with an addy, and I'll send it to you. If you don't want to do that -- they are pretty cheap, and easily available from music stores.

Ok -- back to the web search. :blink:

(PS ---- Chas -- what did I say that reminded you of *JEET*???)

You lost me on that one there. :)

ahem... I was talking about how us Yankees talk up here - you know, the phoenetic spellings, etc... :asdf:

This song is my favorite for the moment. I play it no less than a dozen times a day. I may have never mentioned that before but I get hooked on a song and can play it for days. And this one is not everyone's cup of tea no doubt but it is playing now and I am taken away by it.

Try it you might like it. :)

Dire Straits You and Your Friend

Chatty,

Interesting lyrics... hmmmmmmmmmm....

You And Your Friend

by Dire Straits

will you and your friend come around

are you and your friend gonna get on down

or are you and your friend gonna let me down

if you talk to one another

I'm a hungry man

let me know one way or the other

so I can make my plans

are you and your friend gonna get on down

or are you and your friend gonna let me down

I relive the situation

still see it in my mind

you got my imagination

working overtime

Edited by A la prochaine

There are several kinds of bars to use for the slide guitar.

Made of either metal, or glass -- they are either round, or contoured to fit your hand.

Personally -- I like the contoured ones, and they look like this ---

dunlop_ergo_tonebar_s4425.jpg

They have a furrow on both sides, as well as the top of it, to fit your three fingers (thumb on the right side, index finger on the top, and middle finger on the left side), needed to control the bar, while you pick with the other hand.

Speaking of picking -- I think you will only need three finger picks (preferably 2 metal with a plastic thumbpick) on your right hand. one for the thumb, one for the index finger, and one for the middle finger. Unless you have really strong fourth and little fingers on your right hand, you won't be able to accomplish much with them.

They had no glass so I got a metal tone bar just like the one you showed above and a pack of metal thumbpicks with 3 fingers and 1 thumb.

The young man that waited on me plays a dobro so it was very cool.

I have pretty much what I need to mess around with this new style for me.

Again thank you all. Waysider lent me some things and you've each added your experience of which I was seeking.

There are several kinds of bars to use for the slide guitar.

Made of either metal, or glass -- they are either round, or contoured to fit your hand.

Personally -- I like the contoured ones, and they look like this ---

dunlop_ergo_tonebar_s4425.jpg

They have a furrow on both sides, as well as the top of it, to fit your three fingers (thumb on the right side, index finger on the top, and middle finger on the left side), needed to control the bar, while you pick with the other hand.

Speaking of picking -- I think you will only need three finger picks (preferably 2 metal with a plastic thumbpick) on your right hand. one for the thumb, one for the index finger, and one for the middle finger. Unless you have really strong fourth and little fingers on your right hand, you won't be able to accomplish much with them.

They had no glass so I got a metal tone bar just like the one you showed above and a pack of metal thumbpicks with 3 fingers and 1 thumb.

The young man that waited on me plays a dobro so it was very cool.

I have pretty much what I need to mess around with this new style for me.

Again thank you all. Waysider lent me some things and you've each added your experience of which I was seeking.

But ---- did he sell you a Nut Extender????? :biglaugh:

Edited by dmiller

Evan, my systems getting some rehab, I'll look forward to listening to it tomorrow!

dmiller asks the important question. Did your young man show you how the Nut Extender works? :blink: If so he should get the "Customer Service" pin of the week. :biglaugh:

(ChattyKathy frowns and nibbles at a nail thoughtfully....)

"Show me again, I'm not getting it...." :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

I wish I had something I could give you. If you need a spare thumbpick, lemme know. I can give you a hard time. :spy::biglaugh:

Y'all are a hoot!

He told me they didn't have any nut extenders but he said he played a dobro and he didn't think I needed one either. :unsure:

My metal thumbpick(s) also Dunlop.

I played it for the first time with hubby watching and he thought I'd played before and was amazed at the sounds. I have to refresh my chords knowledge a tad as it's been too long since I played at all.

You mean like the ones I was wearing when we met? But they had gold and black also. And guess what I found the most awesome t-shirt that is a tad tight right now so can't wear but it goes with those boots perfectly and it says Harley Davidson across the front with those flames like my boots and on the back Chillicothe yada yada and has those gold wings on the back. Dang it is sweet and the boots are perfect, dang. :dance:

Gosh, you should have heard the first thing I played with my new toys. Oh my goodness, how sweet my guitar sounds. :)

Ted Ferrell and I wrote a song about a little girl growing up and playing her first piece for her dad who was in the audience and it was dedicated to him. It was about the first chords she learned and from whom. That will be the piece I learn and play first I think. I need to talk to Ted about some alterations to our original words as he does hold that right since they were shared lyrics written. But see my dad played a wonderful lap guitar and even if I didn't have that storybook life I can still glean from the moments that were good, real good.

(by the way my voice is gone so working from home right now)

Pardon my off-topicness... a nice gift to get yourself (or someone else) if you're even moderately fond of U2 is the concert DVD "Go Home: Live from Slane Castle"... it's from a concert they gave right outside of their home town and is very awesome and sometimes touching...

...and when you put it on the big screen and crank up the surround sound...

...sorry for the derail...