GreaseSpot Cafe

Guitar Talk

socks

Thanks for that clip, Chatty. That's a great clip to start the day. There's just one picture of a snake that got me all shook - :biglaugh: - but other than that I'm ready to take on the day.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Chatty,

I nearly posted that video earlier when I posted some Alison Krauss videos.

She is absolutely amazing!!!

When she performed this song the last time I saw her in concert, she performed it with only her and Ron Block accompanying her. There was only one spot light on her, her alone on the stage.

The tears ran down my face. It was sooooo moving.

Ron Block is a very amazing individual to write songs such as these.

She also mentioned that this song was her all time favourite song.

This song got me through some dark times.

Talking about guitars... Jerry Douglas.

No doubt one the greatest slide guitar players ever. He plays with Union Station.

couldn't find a video of Palm of Your Hand by Ron Block, but found lyrics.

Palm of Your Hands

(Ron Block)

If I could have the world and all it owns

A thousand kingdoms, a thousand thrones

If all the earth were mine to hold

With wealth my only goal

I'd spend my gold on selfish things

Without the love that Your life brings

Just a little bit more is all I'd need

'Til life was torn from me

I'd rather be in the palm of Your hand

Though rich or poor I may be

Faith can see right through the circumstance

Sees the forest in spite of the trees

Your grace provides for me

If I should walk the streets no place to sleep

No faith in promises You keep

I'd have no way to buy my bread

With a bottle for my bed

But if I trust the One who died for me

Who shed His blood to set me free

If I live my life to trust in You

Your grace will see me through

I'd rather be in the palm of Your hand

Though rich or poor I may be

Faith can see right through the circumstance

Sees the forest in spite of the trees

If I could have the world

If I could have the world and all it owns

Enjoy.

Edited by A la prochaine

Thanks for that clip, Chatty. That's a great clip to start the day. There's just one picture of a snake that got me all shook - :biglaugh: - but other than that I'm ready to take on the day.

Actually had I known how to edit that piece out I would because I hate snakes. But then I would have to look at it so much just to edit it I don't know if it would be worth it. :unsure:

And thank you, I thought it a great morning starter myself.

Chatty,

I nearly posted that video earlier when I posted some Alison Krauss videos.

She is absolutely amazing!!!

When she performed this song the last time I saw her in concert, she performed it with only her and Ron Block accompanying her. There was only one spot light on her, her alone on the stage.

The tears ran down my face. It was sooooo moving.

Ron Block is a very amazing individual to write songs such as these.

She also mentioned that this song was her all time favourite song.

This song got me through some dark times.

Talking about guitars... Jerry Douglas.

No doubt one the greatest slide guitar players ever. He plays with Union Station.

couldn't find a video of Palm of Your Hand by Ron Block, but found lyrics.

(edited for length, look above please)

Enjoy.

Perspective when healthy sure can be easier to walk than beating yourself up. These songs just lay it out there like the person went thru it too.

Jerry Douglas is one of my favorites, he is amazing!

Ditto on Allyson Krausse. Love her stuff. She has the only band I've ever heard that sounds as good live as they do on a recording. Speaking of recording, I just got my new recording studio up and running. Just bought an AKG precision 1000 recording mike. It's great for vocal and/or guitar. I'ts available for anyone to use should you want to make your own CD just let me know. I'm as excited as a pig in shi*.

dMiller, you've got your weekend stacked! Good luck. I've often wondered about instruments in shops like that. I remember many years ago, pawning an Ampex sound on sound deck I had, and an old acoustic guitar. Leaving them there that day was a mixture of happy and sad. Happy that I was getting some quick cash for a couple things I didn't need at the time, sad because I was leaving them there and knew I wouldn't be back for them and I would have just as soon kept them, they had a lot of memories. Theres' got to be some interesting stories out there in shops.

polar bear, those AKG's are good mic's, yup. Congratulations! New gear, always a good thing. :) What's your studio set up like?

Edited by socks

We are working on a couple tunes, she's got one that's a killah, she wrote while in school. The other is one of mine I posted here, Caress and she's working up the bass for it. Latest is the Beatles song "Hide Your Love Away". That - wow, that is a beautiful song. We've got a bunch of ideas for it, some of them are roughed out here. - Hide Your Love Away - 2 guitars and a dub There's a sound we're trying to get on it, this has way too many notes wandering around, but the essence of the idea is there.

I know I said I probably wouldn't make comment about what I missed but something caught my eye a bit ago that made me realize I'd missed this. And there ain't no way I was gonna let it pass by.

Beautiful socksman! Your entrance with the simplicity and lack of speed walked you right into a change and then you forgot the recorder was there and got down. How cool you were recording. How many times you play something fooling around and go dang (or the likes) I wish I'd been recording that. This time you were and you captured what to me would be a rewarding recording. And you say you have finishing to do eh! Sweet!

Chatty,

Thanks for bringing that link back up... Sockster and lovely J.... beautiful work,

Chatty you did meet PB a few years ago... in the lovely city in which you live.

He's a close relative of mine.. hint hint hint ....

PB... yippy... new toys...

Hubby just bought tickets to see Wynton Marsalis in March.. he's 1/2 stupid over it!!!

: )

Are you serious? :) Is it really a close relative of yours that I met here?

Speaking of close relatives I accidentally thought your hubby was you before y'all went out for dinner tonight. :biglaugh:

I went to this CD trade in place I go now and then and got rid of some stuff and got some stuff. I found one I didn't have Mark Knopfler and EmmyLou Harris "All the Roadrunning"...OMG...OMG

I am heading away for a bit again while it plays in the background from the start again.

It is really fine.

:wave: for now

Oh, how I envy you, Chatty one. If only I had the strength to part with cd's. I hang on to just about everything with the thought that "someday I'll learn that riff." Of course I never do because I'm not a riff copier kind of guy. Recently I once again lost track of my current copy of "Electric Mud", which is Muddy Waters' attempt at psychodelic music. It's one of my all time favorites next to another Muddy album called "Fathers and Sons". It has some really steller guitar work by Mike Bloomfield not to mention the harp work of Paul Butterfield. I haven't seen any posts from keyboard players here but to any who are looking in, I recommend this same album for some of Otis Spann's best and most soulful tickling of the ivory. Lots of other greats on here too,hence the title "Fathers and Sons". Oh, I forgot to mention that the album cover is a take-off on the famous Michaelangelo painting that depicts God reaching down to man. I don't know how to post that sort of thing but it is pretty cool if you can get a glimpse of it somewhere.

dmiller--------Nope. It's the one where God is stretching out his hand trom above down to man.

On the cover, God more closely resembles Muddy Waters while Man resembles Paul Butterfield( with Butter wearing his trademark shades) I do like the one you posted,however, and can see where that one could also make a great album cover.

I have to turn my PC on tomorrow because I need to do some scanning so I will try and burn one of the Eagles songs which is one of their finest IMHO.

Which has nothing to do with what you are saying. :biglaugh:

So maybe after the holidays we can all do a gig here. Thankfully you all live close enough and everyone should have decent roads, I think Rick and Cynthia would. How about DialThis? I think all y'all could get here if we had a hard winter. We would warm up the area with our music anyway.

Which has nothing to do with what you are saying. :biglaugh:

Many thanks dmiller-------This is perhaps one of the greatest blues albums ever released. This is one of those projects where you completely forget about technique and become lost in the raw emotion that was captured.

As a side note(Perhaps of interest to T-Bone and Chas.): The bass player on this one is Donald"Duck"Dunn who paid the bills by playing for Booker T and The MG's but is perhaps best known as the bass player for "The Blues Brothers". Muddy's slide work is like a measuring stick for future bottleneck players. Sam Lay and Buddy Miles are still out working though I'm not sure of "Duck"s' current status.

Thanks again for posting that pic.

from Ala ~~~

Vince Gill ... Socks you mentioned Vince and my heart jumped!!! I remember when we bought our first CD player stereo...I bought 2 or 3 Vince Gill CDs .... I couldn't seem to get enough of him. His sound was so pure, so interesting and pleasant to the ear. I, like you enjoy country music but I'm very selective. I must say Vince Gill is probably top guy for me in the new-country singers.

Vince Gill is one of my favorite bluegrass/ country pickers. He was in a band that opened for Pure Prarie League once, and later he became a member of that band (PPL). His *portfolio* of bluegrass groups that he was once a member of is legendary.

Luckily (for folks like myself), he hasn't forgotton those roots -- and actively seeks out the Bluegrass crowd, catering to them with his music -- as much as he does the country following. I think his version of *country* reflects this, and the whole world hears the difference he brings to country music, without being able to put their fingers on the exact reason.

Maybe I should start a *class* for Country Music Appreciation ---

Oh!! wait a minute -- those initials are already taken. :(

Scratch the class idea!

Seriously -- both he and Allison got their *humble* beginnings in the acoustic world of Bluegrass,

took that talent to the next level, made a ton of money,

and many happy hours of listening for their audience,

but never forgot where they came from. :)

ChattyK.---------Perhaps that has EVERYTHING to do with what is being said! :biglaugh:

I got a really cool TShirt at the thrift store today from Duck's Unlimited and it has the coolest dog on it.

Do you see any connection.

:biglaugh:

David,

I've been listening to Vince Gill for 2 days. I love him.

He slipped the ring off his finger....

....son I once was a rich man with my pocket full of gold....

The laughing has nothing to do with the post to David, I didn't wait long enough.

Pure Prairie League once did a song called "Ellenwoods' Garden". Why does that name ring a bell? :)

I've got that song here on a tape (somewhere). I had always heard that Dean was either a member of PPL -- or had hung out with them when they were forming as a band.

Do you know the scoop on this, Waysider???

Dean and Laura were my twig leaders back in 1977, and he played at local coffeehouses frequently.

His laid back style of playing -- was VERY reminiscient of PPL songs.

He was a huge hit with the college crowd there (Indiana University).

The coffeehouses he played at were always packed -- and not just by *believers*.

Very early on, there was a band called "Knox County Band". The name was derived from their home base in Knox County Ohio. Dean was a guitar player in this group if my memory serves me correctly. PPL was,in a convoluted sense , a mutation of this group. "Ellenwood's Garden" is (as I recall) a tip of the hat to Deans' influence. Vince Gill was also somehow connected to this bunch of young hopefuls as I believe that he too was from the same area. It's been a lot of years since all this happened so my recollections may not be accurate.

Jerry Douglas(Dobro Player ,Supreme) was from an area somewhat to the north.(Youngstown, Ohio)

Boy, we're covering some ground here today!

On the PPL front, Dean played some with Craig Fuller in the early days, probably around late 60', don't think it was in PPL itself though. Dean was and is a fine guitarist, does great work on the acoustic. Played a Les Paul Jr. when I first met him, had a real nice style. I had my Les Paul gold top at the time. He had a little bit of Steven Stills and Dave Mason mixed together with a country feel, is how I'd describe it. He also played a Gibson acoustic flat top, don't remember the model but he had it for years.

Chatty, I'm glad you caught that song and liked it! I've about 3 versions into it at this point. It's taking shape slowly. I've got a rhythm version of it that I'm using in lessons too, so that's interesting to hear other people learning that song for the first time. It's instantly recognizable and has instant vibe, even for people who weren't born then! :)