GreaseSpot Cafe

Guitar Talk

socks

Ck--------Sean is back on the road at the moment but he will be in town on 12/23 for one more 2006 show.He will be playing at that club owned by " you know who's" father in law. I'm up for it.

Oh! DialThis had his Spacetone tweeked by a guitar tech. so I'm anxious to see the results. He asked me to send his regards as his access to" da web" is quite limited at the moment. :wave:

Count me in on the 23rd. Too cool! Well talk.

And yup dear ole DialThis and "da web" heeheehee. Tell him happy holidays for me please.

Thanks for the music, A la. That is a great tune, isn't it? Mayer is a true SRV fan, by his own admission his inspiration. And Vaughn was heavily influenced by Hendrix of course. So you have a straight line from Hendrix to Mayer. Which explains why Mayer's sought out Buddy Guy, as Guy was an influence of Hendrix's. :)

Ain't that cool how you can see that line like that.

:offtopic:

I'm feeling like a real dunce here

:cryhug_1_::wink2:

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Chatty,

"Ain't that cool how you can see that line like that."

I think it's amazing how Socks can put the whole picture together and verbalize it to boot!!!!

Sorta' sitting on the edge of GENIUS at times...

I'm so humbled when I get to read this stuff and learn.

I feel like I'm this barely walking and talking neophyte who is sitting in the middle of some master class and trying to hold on to a pencil so I can take notes.

I just know one thing... I feel the music and that is what inspires me. I feel a certain something that goes so deep deep into my soul that it is unexplainable...like trying to explain LOVE and what it does to you when you're in it.

Music has that same effect. It electrifies and ignites something deeply raw and moving.

I search for this when I listen (subconciously) and when it happens, it's worth the wait and the journey when I get there.

Somber news to report in Guitarland.

Last night at the age of 91, Robert Lockwood Jr. passed away in Cleveland Ohio after suffering a stroke earlier in the month. Many people will not instantly recognize his name because he spent much of his life as a sideman and session player behind the likes of Little Walter, Sonny Boy II, Roosevelt Sykes and Sunnyland Slim. He was a mentor of sorts to B.B. King. Early on, he was known as Robert "Jr." Lockwood because he learned to play under the tutelage of Robert Johnson and so was known as Robert "Jr." He was awarded 4 W.C. Handy Awards and 2 Grammy nominations. Robert could make one guitar sound like three as he wove together lead, rhythm and bass run all while delivering the soulful vocals that were so much a part of his style. Robert was active all the way til the end having played a gig at Fat Fish Blue just last month and a tour abroad in the summer.

No one could make a twelve string sound as sweet and inviting as Mr. Lockwood could. His chord voicings and rhythm phrasings made his playing instantly recognizable. He was truly a pioneer and played a very large part in shaping what was to become the music of generations to follow.

Chatty,

"Ain't that cool how you can see that line like that."

I think it's amazing how Socks can put the whole picture together and verbalize it to boot!!!!

Sorta' sitting on the edge of GENIUS at times...

I'm so humbled when I get to read this stuff and learn.

I feel like I'm this barely walking and talking neophyte who is sitting in the middle of some master class and trying to hold on to a pencil so I can take notes.

I just know one thing... I feel the music and that is what inspires me. I feel a certain something that goes so deep deep into my soul that it is unexplainable...like trying to explain LOVE and what it does to you when you're in it.

Music has that same effect. It electrifies and ignites something deeply raw and moving.

I search for this when I listen (subconciously) and when it happens, it's worth the wait and the journey when I get there.

Ala,

You blow me away with your love and understanding of music. (we need a snoopy dancing smilie)

Somber news to report in Guitarland.

Last night at the age of 91, Robert Lockwood Jr. passed away in Cleveland Ohio after suffering a stroke earlier in the month. Many people will not instantly recognize his name because he spent much of his life as a sideman and session player behind the likes of Little Walter, Sonny Boy II, Roosevelt Sykes and Sunnyland Slim. He was a mentor of sorts to B.B. King. Early on, he was known as Robert "Jr." Lockwood because he learned to play under the tutelage of Robert Johnson and so was known as Robert "Jr." He was awarded 4 W.C. Handy Awards and 2 Grammy nominations. Robert could make one guitar sound like three as he wove together lead, rhythm and bass run all while delivering the soulful vocals that were so much a part of his style. Robert was active all the way til the end having played a gig at Fat Fish Blue just last month and a tour abroad in the summer.

No one could make a twelve string sound as sweet and inviting as Mr. Lockwood could. His chord voicings and rhythm phrasings made his playing instantly recognizable. He was truly a pioneer and played a very large part in shaping what was to become the music of generations to follow.

I don't have anything and best be looking for it. But I have heard him. And he is all you say for certain. God rest his soul.

Likewise and ditto ChattyKathy~ Happy Thanksgiving everyone! It's clear and sunny on the Left Coast, although they report snow in the higher 'tudes. We're staying local, with a visit or two in the day planned, so that's okay by me! Love y'all!

:dance::dance::dance:

Edited by socks

Hey guitar folks-I'm working on James Taylors "How Sweet it is" in C. I'm trying to work out some alternate chords but I'm still not happy with what I've come up with. I would prefer to keep away from open chords so I can do it in a sort of funky muted style. Right now I'm doing the intro. in the 3rd pos. C G then Am7 to D9 in the fifth pos. I don't like the sound of the C in 3rd pos. any suggestions?

Then in the verse I'm doing G and Em in 3rd pos. (don't like the sound of Em in 3rd pos. either). Then I'm doing the D7 in 3rd pos. which is okay then going down to the C7. Any ideas?

Edited by polar bear

I wonder if Wishbone Ash gigs on Thanksgiving?

May a gentle snow blow the BlueBird of Happiness your way Ala!

polar bear, that's a sweet tune. Here's a snip of a version by the Tempations, which may not be what you're looking for but it's an interesting take on that tune - How Sweet It Is - the Temptations

I listened to a few different versions to get a feel for it - the Marvin Gaye original, and a couple of Taylors takes, live and the studio version.

One thought - try it in the second position, using the C on the 5th fret, and play the E/3rd in the bass, up on the 7th fret. Play the other chords in and around that 5th - 7th frets, the F, Dminor, Eminor etc. You can do a lot of chord movement in that area without much movement, if you want to get kind of a Curtis Mayfield rhythm going.

Listened to a version by Junior Walker too, a live cut, much faster version. That made me hear a Chuck Berry possibility, doing the C, etc. up around the 8th fret and play the chords in a lower bass "Berry" rhythm feel with the guitar parts. Just some possibilities... :)

Socks-I listened to some different versions. I like doing that as well, sometimes you can find some interesting interpretations. I have decided to do it down in the 1st positon because I like the sound of the D7 on 3 down to the C7 which is a big part of the song. I'll just mute the higher notes on the open Em and hit the bass to got the funky sound I want. Thanks for the help. That song is a great song for any singer/guitar player to learn, it has such a syncopated melody.

If you get one of those in a child size, does it display in cut time?

Here's a cool one for music students(of all ages): A watch that is set up in the circle of fifths. It shows Majors, relative minors and sharps and flats. It's not a high quality piece of jewelry but it is still useful even after it quits working as a timepiece. I don't know how to do links and whatnot but you can find them at www.musictreasures.com. They run about $40.

Tune it may concern, I think it's about time you wind it up on this Guitar Watch business. Perhaps I'm sticking my neck out here - but surely there's something more productive we can do with hour time.

Tune it may concern, I think it's about time you wind it up on this Guitar Watch business. Perhaps I'm sticking my neck out here - but surely there's something more productive we can do with hour time.

(Sigh) --- You're right, and your observation is duely noted.

I will fret no more about it.