socks

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Socks,

Thanks for the excellent advice- the neck bolt-on screws were indeed a tad loose, as well as some of the srews holding on the tuners. In fact, some of the tuner screw holes felt stripped - I'll need to either fill and re-drill them, or use slightly longer screws. We'll see. Considering the condition of a couple of the old tuners, I think a new set might still work wonders.

DMiller - nice mandolin!

I've also been considering the Gotoh tuners as well, priced about the same as the Grovers, but presenting a few more choices in style. Unfortunately nothing as stylish as your mandolin tuners.

I adjusted the truss rod awhile back, when I replaced the strings, and I'll need to replace the strings again. I recall last time I went with lighter strings, but the feel is a bit flubby. I may go with some medium strings, or a combination of medium and light strings to get the right mix.

Chas, replacing the pickups and doing a overhaul on the pots & knobs will be on my things to do list.

The pricier Rick toaster pickups look very nice, though I might do just as better with some P-90s, which look about the same size as the old ones.

Waysider & Kathy - excellent advice on saving the old parts, and trying to maintain the guitar's original appearance.

Danny

BTW, DMiller, Musiciansfriend is offering "blem" models of the Rick 330 for about $700.

Would love one with the fireglow finish.

But alas, for now, I need to sink some $$$ into the guitars I already have (lol).

Socks, do you think the Tunamatic-like bridges such as those for the Ricks in your links

would be better for intonation than the original roller bridge on my old axe?

The roller bridge on my old guitar appears to be in good shape still; in fact I adjusted the roller saddles

the other day, which seemed to improve the intonation a bit more.

Project guitars, gotta love 'em.

Danny

Edited by TheInvisibleDan

BTW, DMiller, Musiciansfriend is offering "blem" models of the Rick 330 for about $700.

Would love one with the fireglow finish.

But alas, for now, I need to sink some $$$ into the guitars I already have (lol).

Socks, do you think the Tunamatic-like bridges such as those for the Ricks in your links

would be better for intonation than the original roller bridge on my old axe?

The roller bridge on my old guitar appears to be in good shape still; in fact I adjusted the roller saddles

the other day, which seemed to improve the intonation a bit more.

Project guitars, gotta love 'em.

Danny

Hard to say. The tunematic in the eBay guitar looks decent. I'd definitely remove the little saddles and clean each channel they're seated in if it looks like dust has collected. That metal to metal contact is essential to a solid tone. Then adjust them with new strings and then determine how stable they are. In general more mass in the bridge piece = better tone. One reason is there's less harmonic tone generated by a heavier set up. But that's a fine point - some of that 'mojo' you're getting from it might be in the bridge piece. And of course, there's bridges like wooden ones on hollow bodies that give off a completely different sound, so it's going to be a matter of what you like. Most important is the the whole thing including the saddle pieces stay where you put them and don't wander.

One of my favorite bridge and saddle setups is on my Gretsch Anniversary which has a "patent applied for" Melita. The intonation is a snap, as the adjusting screws are set-screws in the top, and can be done by hand, no screwdriver. It's a movable bridge, stays in place as long as I don't push it.

If you're looking for a low-tech solution to filling small screw holes, take the tip of a toothpick and dip it into wood glue and then slip it in the hole and snap it off. Trim it down with a razor. It makes a very good filler that's cheap. You probably know that but it's one of those things everybody discovers and goes "whoa! lookee what I did!' :rolleyes: Works well though.

Since we've been discussing nut extenders, then widgets should be on the menu...

Hubby got a new g5 iMac - it's a sweet ride - and he's been playing with the dashboard function on it.

He found a widget for guitar chords - very cool:

http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/m...itarchords.html

It looks cool and plays the notes and chords for you. My only complaint is that I wish the neck was horizontal, but oh, well - it's still cool...

You can pick your own widget.... :)

Hello all guitar heads and headesses!!!

I've been away I know ( :redface2: ) and I apogize for my absenteeism... there is NO EXCUSE really when it comes THE guitar thread...

And I will confess... I have not had time to catch up on my reading here...

But I wanted to completely derail your dobro topic at this moment... (chatty.. please forgive) and say...

I'm listening to CHRISTMAS music and I love James Taylor's album... I hadn't listened to it yet.. but it is by far a real touch of James magic.

and... of course...nothing can touch Vince Guaraldi's 'Charlie Brown Christmas'

please... you may return to your regularly scheduled program.

PS...

Mr. Music Man... I read your post about ALA loving all things Fiddle... thanks for thinking of me.

:wave:

Edited by A la prochaine

Chas -- do you all have Garage Band with that too??

I've heard lots of good things about it.

Yes, we've got Garage Band - that was part of the draw when we picked it. Hubby wanted something that would record. I wanted something that would do smoother presentations (I've been designing a lot of memorial presentations lately - like for funerals - it's actually very rewarding). Hubby is talking about writing music that I can use for the presentations so we won't have any copyright issues. I think it will be cool but I've been too busy to so much as have a cup of coffee with hubby lately, never mind hammer out those plans...

I miss my bass - I haven't picked it up in ages - I'm working about 40 hours a week now from home but it will slow down soon. I just wish I could postpone the holiday until January when I can enjoy it! LOL!

So, yes - Garage Band is part of iLife - a creative suite, if you will. Hubby's been working with it a bit - I haven't touched it but I have been into iMovie and iDVD and iWeb - all excellent little applications.

I must be losing my mind then cause I swear I’m getting a similar sound

Well -- if you're tuned to an open chord -- yes, it'll sound the same

but (imo) a little bit harder to get a *clean* sound if the strings are lower.

An acoustic guitar will sound just like the dobro, if it's in an open tuning.

So you haven't lost your mind yet -- (at least when it comes to music!)

:biglaugh:

Hey Kids! Amaze and dazzle your friends with useless(but fun) trivia!

I heard an interview today with Bruce Iglauer, founder of Alligator Records, on XM Bluesville.

It seems that when Lonnie Mack purchased his new Flying Vee back in the age of dinosaurs (serial # 7, which he still plays today), he decided to outfit it with a Bigsby Tremelo Arm. He used it to record his now legendary tune"Wham"(

our younger posters may be more familiar with the cover by SRV). Hence, the term "whammy bar" was born.

That and $1.23 will get you--------Well, there must be SOMETHING it will get you!

Chatty-----It sounds like lot's o' fun .

BTW. Muddy Waters used to do a tune called something like "Goin' Back To Florida(Where The Sun Shines Everyday)" :wave:

Kathy-----The "hippy" guy in those videos is a very young Paul Oscher. He actually lived in Muddys' basement along with Otis Spann. He played in the band for 4 or 5 years. Muddy taught him to play guitar and bottleneck and he learned piano from Otis. He didn't need any instruction in the harp dept. Today, he does a solo act where he plays guitar and slide while blowing harp from a rack(neck mounted holder.) He has a very rich voice but ,unfortunately,(for us anyway) he doesn't get east of the big river too often. The harp man on the other video is George Smith. That tape doesn't even come close to showing what he was all about. He is the undisputed Godfather of that fat sound he taught to guys like Wm. Clarke,Rod Piazza, Kim Wilson and the list goes on and on. If anyone every said an unkind word about him, I don't think it has found its' way into print.

Just thought I'd tip y'all off (if it isn't too late)... check your local PBS station site to see if it's playing:

Last night the DFW station aired the (alleged only) Blind Faith Concert Film. It was from 1969 in Hyde Park. It was kind of nice seeing all of those young fellers on stage... and Ginger Baker only looked half dead!

And then there was a 'special' on music of the 60's hosted by Roger McGuinn (he's been given his due here hasn't he?)... not too bad a late night... but Tivo it first so's you can zip through the pledge drives... (pledge to them, just zip through their speil!)

Edited by Tom Strange