GreaseSpot Cafe

Guitar Talk

socks

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And some more

That's Tony Rice playing guitar and singing. Sadly -- he's had some sort of throat cancer, and can barely speak these days, much less sing like you hear him here. His guitar was formerly owned by Clarence White (who with his brother Roland formed the Kentucky Colonels), and they broke up when Clarence joined the Byrds, doing electric, and not acoustic. Clarence was killed in a hit and run accident in (I think) 1973.

And that's Jerry Douglas on dobro -- so ChattyKathy can hear how it's supposed to sound. :)

Edited by dmiller

A friend of mine surfaced from obscurity on another web site today. He used to live here in Duluth, he's young, and plays the most awesome mandolin music you will ever want to hear. He used to sit next to me at our Wednesday night jams at Sir Ben's, and inspired me to no end. He left us a year or so ago to go to Berklee College of Music as their first ever mandolin student.

In the past year, he's made great inroads into the music business because of his talent (and humility).

He's gotten accolades from all the greats in the business (because he is so good),

has picked on stage with a lot of the greats (because he is so good),

and is a rising star in the music world (because he is so good).

Another picker about whom I can say ---

"I knew him when -----------"

(I'm feeling left behind here.)

His name is Joe Walsh, and you can see him perform at the Kennedy Center HERE, if you click on the top link to Charlie Worsham and The Free State of Tallahatchie.

The video is about an hour long. Joe is playing in the first half of it or so.

Edited by dmiller

dmiller------- I can't get everything on this old clunker but I saw the visual of what you were referring to. Come to think of it, I have heard this on our local PBS radio station which has an Americana and roots show. Pretty cool stuff as I recall. I dig the sound of mando. though probably not the same stuff as you . I really enjoy Rich DelGrosso and Sam Bush.(not what you would call bluegrass) Didn't someone do something similar with The Stones or Beatles or whatever done in a bluegrass style?

Mr. Music Man,

NOW YOU ARE TAUNTING ME REAL BIG!!!! :biglaugh:

MY OH MY... Now that had to be the bestests ever Christmas Present YET this year!!!!!!

I remember when I found Alisdair and I went on his website and he had JUST finished that tour... I was sooooo disappointed!!!

Never thought of looking for him on UTUBE-WORLD....

Gosh... I'm dancing all over my den

Now....OK... I'm sending this one back to you!!!

You've made my day, week, month... and so on... :dance:

Gosh again...

just listen to that link at the top of the page.. .woww.... NO KIDDING>.. LUCKY LANDLORD AND TENANTS!!!

I'd be the tenant at the door knocking and saying: LET ME IN ... LET ME IN!!!

Edited by A la prochaine

OK...'

I'm not sure this is going to work

but I thought I MUST share this with all of you here on GUITAR LAND

OK....hope this works...

OK... it did work... yippee...

PB sent this to me and I thought I'd pass it along and say ... that this is my gift to you all here in guitar land...

and thank you for all the wonderful musical experiences you have shared with me.

Edited by A la prochaine

Ala -- that recording sounds poorly, when played over the phone (as I did for the forum).

Old cassette tape, but sounds good here at the house -- just not over the airwaves. :(

Meebe I can get it converted to CD, and learn how to upload it.

It might sound more decent, then.

Ps -- yes -- banjo, bass, and cello as well as the other instruments you mentioned.. ;)

Edited by dmiller

Hey, hey, heyyyyyyyyyyy!!!

Guess what (y'all)? We just passed the *Baseball (the talking sport)* thread in posts!

They've got 1,644 posts, and we have (a few) more), but we're adding daily!

(Their last post was 4 days ago.)

That thread was started in 2003, and this one started (almost) 11 months ago. :)

Socks -- You've created a monster thread here. Thank you, sir.

Thanks for the chance to share, learn, talk music, and fellowship with others in this unique setting.

No flaming here, no disagreements, no name calling, no denigration of anyone else's music *beliefs* --

The overall operative word here is *sharing*. (How'd you pick that lick, and what ax did you use?????)

Woops --did I say *create*??? :unsure:

Isn't God the only one who can *create*??

uhhhhhhh -- does that make Socks God????? Hmmmmmmmm.

What's Eric Clapton going to have to say about THAT ONE.

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Next thread to overtake here at GSC is Nostalgia, and then (if you believe in miracles)

THE MIGHTY NINTH CORPS THREAD.

(I believe in miracles -- but not any that big!) ;)

I'm a small miracle kinda guy. Just enough for some substantive believing.

Overtaking the Ninth Corps Thread in posts, would be like parting the Red Sea!!

(or keeping my banjo in tune all the time!) :(

But I don't think that is the objective here. New *stuff*, new toys, new info on performers, gear that works, GAS attack (Gear Aquisition Syndrome), new videos that showcase someone important to us, things that make us happy, content, and learning new things, from the input of others with an other (varying experience), than that of our own. I've had a blast. It's been a heck-uv-a-ride. I'm looking for many more entries from you all. It's been an experience I never would have thought I would ever be a part of.:)

God bless us all, each and every one.

It's been a treat, and hope it continues for a long, long, time.

(Life Is Short --- Pick Quick). :spy:

Edited by dmiller