Guitar Talk

socks

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Those watches are cool, on face value alone! I wonder if there's a sweep hand model that will shred?

Aaah, but I digress. I recently came into temporary possesion of a really cool instrument. I'm taking photos of it for a friend and getting it appraised. Soon as I get 'em worked out I'll post. It's a very old Gibson Lap Steel. Has the 'old' Gibson gold logon on the head and based on what I've been able to find out about it looks to be from the 40's. The original Gibson Lap Steel was put together by Alvino Rey, and the pick up for it - this was late 30's, was used in the Gibson ES-50 electric f-hole, the guitar Charlie Christian used. I don't know yet if this has that model pickup or not, it may not be that old, dunno.

When I was a wee tyke the grammar school I went to would bring in different people every month or so to perform, kind of a cultural enhancement thing. It was a Catholic school, God bless 'em they did some cool things. And some very uncool things too, like weekly "Dance" classes, that....oh, it's too dark to even discuss. The horror, the horror.....

But they had a guy come in that did a mini-concert one day, playing pedal steels, lap steels and the like. It was Alvino Rey. He did really cool Hawaiian stuff, some pop stuff. And he could make them make all kinds of cool sounds using his slide bar, volume and tone controls. "Here's a plane!" and he'd do a low hover on the bass string and then a dive bomb sound. "Bombs!" and all of this noise and searing squeals. He made it moo, like a cow, and cry like a baby. I was fascinated, it totally blew me away. I was in awe afterwards. Years before I heard Hendrix and Roy Buchanan do the same kinds of thing I had those sounds stuck in my head. It was quite an experience for such wee ones.

Saw a performer called James Keelaghan on Saturday night...

He had a wonderful instrumentalist playing with him.

She played the Fidola... as she called it....

It was a Viola with a fifth string...an E string.

Mr. Music Man.. you should have heard the sound she got outta this thing.

I spoke to her afterwards... she said she came up with the idea on her own...unbeknownst to her at the time there were other FIDOLAS in existance in the world.

She says there are about 10 of them in the world that she knows of.

: )

Thank you all for coming to our guitar fellowship this morning. Remember our meeting always starts in ¾ time on your Guitar Watch unless otherwise specified by our fellowship conductor. Please turn on your Amplified Bibles so we can play something from Genesis – and while they’re warming up [some of us old timers still have tube amps] let’s sing an old favorite hymn of mine “Amazing Crates how sweet the sound that saved a Gretsch like me.”

Ah gee what a welcome post. Ever go to work and before you could face the day have to peek into here? :) Well I was here till after 9 last night so really would rather be at home but that ain't the real world I reckon. :unsure:

All have a most awesome day and when the moments get intense take a moment to mentally play. :wave:

Please turn on your Amplified Bibles so we can play something from Genesis – and while they’re warming up [some of us old timers still have tube amps] let’s sing an old favorite hymn of mine “Amazing Crates how sweet the sound that saved a Gretsch like me.”

:eusa_clap::biglaugh::eusa_clap::biglaugh::eusa_clap:

Hey Socks -- If you get the serial number off of that lap steel,

Gibson has a site where you can find out the year it was made.

It sounds like a neat old instrument. How many strings does it have on it??

Ala -- fidola. Now there's a new one for me!!

5 string violins (while not uncommon) aren't found too often, but they've been around for a while.

5 string fiddles have the 5th string (which is tuned to a C note), like the bottom string of a viola.

So now -- the bottom 4 strings of the 5 string fiddle are C G D A - same tuning as a viola.

The difference here is the size of the body of the instrument.

Viola's are larger than violins, so I'm guessing the 5 string viola

(having the C G D A E strings --- the same as a 5 string violin),

would have a more rich, resonant tone than a 5 string fiddle would.

HERE IS A SITE that has Dahlia 5 string fiddles for sale.

These guys also make the Eminence bass (4 or 5 string), with a removeable neck.

They have EXCELLENT instruments. Top shelf -- both in playability, and in sound.

Edited by dmiller

I interrupt this thread for this announcement!!!!

I made the hospital newsletter with a picture of me and the Gibson guitar and honorable mention for the photos that I took that they used!!!

Ok, back to talking about guitars.

:wave:

Act 2 -- hey, congrats!!! I think you posted a pic of that guitar here.

A vintage instrument -- probably sounds as good as it looks.

This is kinda :offtopic: , but I thought I would post it for Ala, who loves all things fiddle. ;)

This is from a friend of mine on a Bluegrass Forum I frequent. He has/had a fiddle for sale, and someone else wanted to know if a bow was included in the sale. Here is his story about the bow he uses, but wasn't included in the sale of the violin.

The bow I regulary use isn't for sale but the bow that I received with the fiddle will be included. It isn't much of a bow though, too short. It's common to sell violins sans bow as a good bow often costs as much or more than the fiddle for which it's intended.

The bow I use does have an interesting story though. I was playing my dad's (and his dad's) old fiddle when I accidently dropped the bow and the tip snapped off. This is the end of the line for a bow, you can glue it but it won't ever be the same.

I went to a small Chicago violin repair shop on North Ridge (ca. 1965) to see if I could buy a bow. The violin maker didn't have any bows to sell but as we were talking another old gent came in the shop and joined our conversation. They obviously knew each other and we were introduced by name. The fellow, Sol Turner was his name, had bows to sell and invited me over to his North Side apartment to have a look. He asked if I had my fiddle with me and I didn't so he wanted me to go home and get it before coming by.

When I walked into his large second floor apartment I was amazed to see a large grand piano and a large ochestral harp in the living room. He motioned me into another room and we talked about bows and how much I was willing to spend. Then he brought out some bows and wanted me to play my fiddle with each in turn. I was just a beginner and was too embarrased to play in front of him so I begged off. But he insisted that a bow must be chosen not only for it's appearance and weight but also for how it sounds on the fiddle for which it is intended.

Mr. Turner then took my fiddle into another room with the bows we had selected and played what was certainly the most beautiful music ever to have been played on that instrument. I stayed in the first room where I could hear but couldn't see which bow he was using. He played through the group of bows and we'd eliminate some until at last there was one bow that sounded significantly better than the rest. And that's the bow I bought. A nice old French bow.

It occurred to me that he could have made any bow sound any way he chose but that just didn't seem like what was going on. Many years later I was telling that story to a friend who was a tech and apprentice luthier at Kenneth Warren & Sons, a way-high-end Chicago violin dealer. He asked me if I knew who Sol Turner was. I said no. Turned out he was Concert Master of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra.

So, yeah, I have a story but that bow, I'm keeping.

Waysider,

I am listening to a CD of Sean Carney "The Night Owlz" which was his first CD and according to Sammy who just lent it to me he said he is 10 times better now. Oh my goodness are we in for a excellent evening. I don't know if Rick and Cynthia can come yet.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Now a question for anyone that knows please.

I want to alter my Fender Acoustic to play with a horizontal slide. I'm pretty sure Rick prefers glass slides (not horizontal usage). What is the best material to use for my guitar?

Also what would you tune it to? Sammy said an E would produce a Hawaiian sound.

And would you put metal finger picks on all fingers? I have very strong fingers but my wrists are my problem which is why I don't want to pick up my guitar anymore. But with a slide for the left and the picks for the strong fingers of my right and at the better angle of my lap would be the best for me.

Thanks for your thoughts anyone that has some. And I'm likely to be awhile before I can peek in just so you know.

Chatty-----There are a lot of theories on where slide guitar originated. Personally, I think it developed out of necessity. A lot of these guys who we listen to today( like Muddy Waters, Skip James, Booka White,Son House,etc.) were plantation workers by day. At the end of a long day, their hands and fingers had paid the price that hard work requires. Many times they would tune their guitars to an open chord. D was very common but it really doesn't matter. Some would take an old bottle with a straight neck and remove the neck. They would smooth out the edges and use that as a slide. (hence the term "bottleneck guitar") Some used butter knives and old metal sockets. Some used medicine bottles or lip stick tubes. There are no "rules". Most used the slide on their pinky finger because it maximized the use of their other fingers. Use of finger picks is a necessity.(especially if your fingers are already painfully sore from farm work) I have some videos of Muddy playing and the visual aspect adds a whole dimension of its' own. Homespuntapes.com has quite a few instructionals that are excellent. You can buy glass bottle necks already cut and smoothed. Plastic ones don't have a very good sound(imo). Remember! no rules. You find what works for you because that's how these guys stumbled on it in the first place.

PS---------If you want an example of what it is NOT supposed to sound like, let me know! :biglaugh:

wow...so cool. I rented my violin from the same shop mentioned above. Its located off of Ridge and I think Howard st. in chicago. they were hand made in the store in front of everyone..brings back memories. My daughter now wants to buy one(she is inspired by the Dixie Chicks) I was told the best are made in a shop in Bethesda,MD..The Potter's something(canot remember)

ChattyKatathy, you're going into Slide! Love it!

I would suggest trying a couple out in a store, glass and metal. I've got one of each. The metal has a little brighter tone as you'd expect and the glass smoother, richer. I tend to use the metal because it fits better, and don't use either much.

Fit is the most important thing. It should fit snug enough to stay on your fingfer but not so it's hard to get off. Too loose and you'll have trouble getting it to lay solid on the strings, it won't feel right.

You've got to pick a finger too, whether to wear it on the 3rd ring finger, left hand or the little pinky finger, left hand. You may want to go with the ring finger to start, to get your control together. It's a little easier I've found, but again I don't play it that much, usually use the little finger slide as it fits better.

A major point of the technique for slide is "muting". If you just lay the slide over the neck and move it around you'll get all the noice from the strings "behind" the slide. As you look down, that's to the left of your hand, back towards the headstock. That has a sound all it's own and isn't bad if that's the sound you want.

But to get single note stuff and all the little bluesy figures clean, you mute. That means, as you hold the slide down over the strings, say it's on your 3rd ring finger, you lay the 2nd finger down over the strings, just let it lay there hitting them without actually pressing them all the way down to the fretboard.

That will eliminate the extra noise of the slide moving around, clean up the sound a little.

If you're playing it with the guitar down on your lap, face up, you'd hold the slide in your left hand over the strings, pretty much in your thumb and index finger, laying flat out, not holding it with the tips of the finger. Mute with the other fingers, down over the strings.

Fingerpicks - I have a set of them and again, don't use them all that much. But a really good banjo player I know recommended John Pearse thumbpicks and sent me a couple. I really like them, they're a good size, not too big. Again, you want to get a size that's snug but not cutting off the blood. And you can get one that's close but a little loose and bend it to fit. I use John Pearse plastic, white.

Finger picks - I've got several Nationals. I'm only moderately proficient with them, and need a lot of warmup but these came with recommendations. Look for the ones that don't cover the entire finger, but come to a little point at the end. They're less clunkly, to my feel.

That's sort of quick,but I think it's really exxx-citing!!! Good for you!!!

Edited by socks

Now a question for anyone that knows please.

I want to alter my Fender Acoustic to play with a horizontal slide. I'm pretty sure Rick prefers glass slides (not horizontal usage). What is the best material to use for my guitar?

Also what would you tune it to? Sammy said an E would produce a Hawaiian sound.

And would you put metal finger picks on all fingers? I have very strong fingers but my wrists are my problem which is why I don't want to pick up my guitar anymore. But with a slide for the left and the picks for the strong fingers of my right and at the better angle of my lap would be the best for me.

Kathy -- what do you mean by *horizontal slide*?? Are you going to sit down, and lay the guitar on your lap, and play it like a dobro?? Not sure what you intend to do.

(backs away quietly, totally embarassed for having to ask!!) :redface:

(speeling edit -- sheesh!) :doh:

Edited by dmiller

Socks,

You are such a neat man. I doubt there would be disagreement on that around here.

That's some great tips and instruction that actually made sense to me. heehee

But I'm going to play a horizontal slide with the guitar on my lap and the left hand holding a slide and picks on all my right fingers.

Waysider is lending me something to help with instruction also.

Y’all are kind to have replied with such facts. Cool facts.

I am going to the Guitar Store this weekend and hope they have what I want in stock.

I have not wanted to play for awhile, this feels good.

How many hours away are y'all from the LA area? I'll be there in the spring for a visit with my son.

Kathy

Slide guitar - one of my favorite subjects --

Check this out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slide_guitar

I'll post more when I can - work is crazy right now. So much for being self-employed... scheesh!

Yup, that is what I want to do with my guitar. Thanks busy woman. :)

Kathy -- what do you mean by *horizontal slide*?? Are you going to sit down, and lay the guitar on your lap, and play it like a dobro?? Not sure what you intend to do.

(backs away quietly, totally embarassed for having to ask!!) :redface:

(speeling edit -- sheesh!) :doh:

Yup, you questioned it because that is what I want to play the lap guitar.

And I barely know what I am talking about. I just know what it looks and sounds like. :biglaugh:

Yup, you questioned it because that is what I want to play the lap guitar.

And I barely know what I am talking about. I just know what it looks and sounds like. :biglaugh:

Kathy -- okee-dokee. Now I know what to post.

First off -- you will need a guitar nut extender (Tom Strange -- that's a VALID TERM!) :nono5::biglaugh:

It looks like this ----------

Nut%20Extender%20-%20Medium.jpg

Loosen the strings, and put this thing on the guitar nut, strings go on top of this device, and when the strings are tuned up to pitch, they will be higher off of the fretboard. Higher enough so that when you use the slide, it won't *rasp* against the frets. You won't be able to play the guitar *conventionally* while the extender is in use, as the strings will be too high to make normal chords on them -- but it is perfect for slide.

Tune your guitar to an open *E* or *D*. The tuning for an open *D* is D B D G B D.

There are several kinds of bars to use for the slide guitar.

Made of either metal, or glass -- they are either round, or contoured to fit your hand.

Personally -- I like the contoured ones, and they look like this ---

dunlop_ergo_tonebar_s4425.jpg

They have a furrow on both sides, as well as the top of it, to fit your three fingers (thumb on the right side, index finger on the top, and middle finger on the left side), needed to control the bar, while you pick with the other hand.

Speaking of picking -- I think you will only need three finger picks (preferably 2 metal with a plastic thumbpick) on your right hand. one for the thumb, one for the index finger, and one for the middle finger. Unless you have really strong fourth and little fingers on your right hand, you won't be able to accomplish much with them.

Let me go look for a pic of the proper way to wear them. BBL.

Edited by dmiller

Aw thanks ChattyK, you may not be talking to the right people though! :biglaugh:

I am really proud of this thread. We really have a great range of interested caring knowledgable people (re: all of you) who are ably pursuing your personal loves at your own pace and timing, AKA "at my own damm speed thank you". :) I'm proud to be staring at the same screen with you.

Talk amongst yourselves, I've got something in my eye.

Okay, seriously, it's true, except for the mushy parts.

dmiller's hit the baby on the head with the string picker upper thing. I've never used one but that would be the route you'd want to go. Finger picks, ditto. I play mostly with a heavy straight pick and use my other 3 fingers/right hand as needed, so I seldom go to the fingerpicks which would show, but occasionally I get them out and work on it a little.

You could also raise the action if possible, at the body bridge saddle. If it's one piece you can lossen the strings, pop it out and cut a little sliver of plastic and slip it down under it and put it all back together. I did that once on an old guitar I had and it raised it a tad. If you have adjusting poles on a tune-a-matic style bridge it's much easier. That only works well for a small amount though, maybe an 1/8th of an inch and it won't really raise the height much at the first fret, so the string raiser upper thing is much better.

And for lap, dmiller's got the one, or a spark plug socket - big one.

When I was first playing I was little, a little guy and not much dough, little dough. I discovered you could put a pencil under the strings at the first fret and raise it up pretty high. I had a loaned Silvertone acoustic flat top guitar, and I popped that under there and used a spark plug socket, which looked like the one I'd seen on TV being used. I was in hog heaven. Strange, but it worked.

Tunings - open C, and E and G. You'lre going to have all kinds of ways to experiment with it, so have at it! There's a C6 and C9 tuning also that's pretty sweet. I've really only messed much with the C, E and G though. Most of my sliding is done in regular tuning though, it's been years since I worked much with the open tunings.

Weeeeehhhheeeeee!!!

Edited by socks

Kathy -- I just got distracted from my web search for the proper way to wear a finger pick. Thinking about that guitar nut extender -- I remembered that I have one here at the house, and suddenly I was on a *mission* to find it.

I've got an old cigar box full of musical junk/ paraphenalia -- fiddle bridges, mandolin tuning pegs, fiddle pegs, mandolin nuts, banjo bridges, mandolin tailpieces, assorted picks, fiddle chin rests, a banjo mute (!!!!), and at the bottom of it all --- I found the nut extender.

I will never use this thing again. If you want it -- pm me with an addy, and I'll send it to you. If you don't want to do that -- they are pretty cheap, and easily available from music stores.

Ok -- back to the web search. :blink:

(PS ---- Chas -- what did I say that reminded you of *JEET*???)

You lost me on that one there. :)