GreaseSpot Cafe

Guitar Talk

socks

Yeah, two outta 3 would have been nice, but no takers I see. :biglaugh: Everyone plays the innocent when they're a kid, usually the parents pay for lessons, but so often it's set aside and ends up in a closet or garage, usually after a first Report Card, or that first date. I'd bet good money, actual cash dollars, USD, that right now there's an innocent or two gathering dust in many a closet right here. I'll have to rustle mine up, see if I can remember anything on it. I tried to take it up but the fingerings - whooo! :biglaugh: Scarey!

Didn't know that, Tom, there's stuff for sale alright. Guit's and Amps and all manner of strung things. More space to peruse...Thanks! I've enjoyed the recounts and photos of the Texas Gathering. Happy looking peops, all. If I'd been able to make the journey it would have been fun, no doubt!

Where did ChattyKathy get off to? What kind of mischief is afoot?

Played most of yesterday evening with the Girl. Fun pickin'. :)

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Where did ChattyKathy get off to? What kind of mischief is afoot?

Played most of yesterday evening with the Girl. Fun pickin'. :)

Yeah... now that you mention it she has been absent hasn't she? I wonder if she was on her way to Texas and go lost?

Glad you got to play with "the Girl" yesterday... can you see (hear) the influence of her teachers at school?

A la, I haven't in awhile, but thank you - there's parcels there!

Thank you. I am. Do you believe in lightning striking in a clear sky? I read once it happened somewhere, can't recall the actual location. This is as good a place as any though.

Tom, thank you for asking. The Girl has become a Woman before my very eyes. I guess I never saw it coming, or didn't want to for some reason, sometimes. It's weird with kids though - they never get bigger than that little wad of life that's the first time you see them.

She was really influenced by her teachers, two in particular. M.I.'s filled with gun-slingers, 6 stringers itchin' for the next show down. The instructors fight that to a degree, to get students to drop the chops and listen, think. Hear. Daughter really responded to that message and is becoming a very thoughtful musican. Clear, she's clear. She likes a munchy tone, but one that's naturally clear and naturally complex, not over effected and beefed up. Biggest influence was learning so close to experts that the feeling comes from the hands, not the equipment. She struggles, same as me, but she's knows The Path now and it's very very very wonderfully nice to be on it with her.

We are working on a couple tunes, she's got one that's a killah, she wrote while in school. The other is one of mine I posted here, Caress and she's working up the bass for it. Latest is the Beatles song "Hide Your Love Away". That - wow, that is a beautiful song. We've got a bunch of ideas for it, some of them are roughed out here. - Hide Your Love Away - 2 guitars and a dub There's a sound we're trying to get on it, this has way too many notes wandering around, but the essence of the idea is there.

Dangit! My brother that sounds really sweet... brought back visions of John strumming and singing during "Help"... I've always loved that song and that is a very beautiful rendering...

You two should continue through the Beatles' early catalogue doing that... so many of those songs from that time in their life are so beautiful and speak to the soul... OR has someone already done that? (and I don't mean elevator music)...

Anyway, that is very nice... and stirring, if you know what I mean...

...I have often thought wouldn't it be wonderful if we could all get together for one big jam! :dance:

Socks on his MANY guitars (hee hee)and vocals

Mr. Miller Music Man on the fiddle, mando and banjo

Chas on the bass

T-Bone on the guitar (and bass I think???)

Bluzeman on the guitar

Waysider on something??? (can't remember - sorry Sider... please forgive :blink: )

Keynote (my hubby) on bass, guitar and piano

Sunesis with her 36 guitars

Chatty on vocals

Jonny Lingo on the harmonica

Dougie 73 on guitar

me on a bit of guitar (not much)...

Thanks for the invite, Ala… Gosh – it's been so long since I jammed with anybody…well – if you count the jammin' my son and I do once and awhile – that may count for some extra credit…At least qualify me to be a band roadie…Bet I can still string a neat line of chairs – or amps…

That's a beautiful rendition of the Beatles' tune, Socks. Thanks – ya'll sound great!

Chas – that is a gorgeous guitar – love that color!

Edited by T-Bone

We have quite a few jams here in town. Most are way too late for an old guy like me though I sometimes try a late one if I know I don't have to work the next day. We have one that runs on Sunday afternoons and that one seems to fit the bill a little better. What I have found is that a little etiquette goes a long way. Try to help others on stage shine when it's their turn. This requires developing the art of listening. "Hot-Dogs" are not usually welcomed with open arms more than once. Be prepared. Know what you want to do,what key you want to do it in and what kind of tempo you want. Be ready to drop that tune you had your heart set on and go to an alternative as someone may do it before you and it is definitely bad form to try to "out perform" them.

There is nothing wrong with going as a "lurker" a few times; You may find it's not a jam you want to be a part of. Knowing your way around the 145-12 bar format is almost mandatory.OH! did I mention "have fun"?

"Have fun while you can------fate's an awful thing" T-Bone Walker

Maybe I'm dreamin' but in the words of the Beach Boys "wouldn't it be nice" to get together sometime. It's fun to dream. I know the guy who started ebay, he had a dream. I had the privilege of being in the Way Orchestra. Even though the ministry has it's problems the Way Orchestra was one of the great experieces of my life. The electricty on the stage between the musicaians was incredible. I have not experienced anything like it since that time. Everyone wants to play the guitar LOL.

Edited by polar bear

Thanks T-Bone! It's an early version of a draft of a rendering, but hopefully it will take shape.

waysider, the jams sound nice. There is an etiquette to jamming, as you say. Local customs are always a factor too, and generally the idea is to be cool, be there and bring some courtesy along. :) Nothing worse than everybody walking all over each other every time there's an open bar.

brought back visions of John strumming and singing during "Help"... I've always loved that song and that is a very beautiful rendering...

Tom, you read my mind. :) Thus offering solid proof - it's there, pistons - well pistoning. Or something. There's so many Beatles tunes.I was thinking it would be nice to redo some in ways that expound on the feeling that reconstructs, and let the music flow towards that. We'll see. Any requests? That tune is on Youtube.com by the way, from the movie Help HERE - check it out! Enjoy that puppy!

As the little guy said "Ad hoc, ad loc, quid pro quo! So little time, so much to know!" And to play!

Welcome Mssr. polar bear! Orchestra hey? Very nice. While this is a Guitar thread, as you'll see it careens off into adjacent real estate frequently. Feel free to contribute and please do, often! dmiller is right. Someone's gotta go "boom chuck boom chuck". :biglaugh:

Which reminds me, I've always had a thing for "country" sounds, the sounds that populate the country and bluegrass musics. Yet, I don't really like most popular "country" music and often feel that Bluegrass is like bad jazz, when it impersonates Bebop and goes "beedle deedle beedle deedle beedle deedle bop. De bop a bop. Bop." over and over in the same scale. Yet I do like a lot of the music that comes out of those genres. I was just thinking of Vince Gill, a not-so-typical country crooner. Love his stuff and he's an electric guitarist of rare sensitivity and taste. Or to my ear anyway, y'know.

It's the scales, and the various tunings used I really like - the 6ths and 9ths, the "add 2's" where the A is added to an open G chord, or right above the root in a tight clustered triad. Those are beautiful tones, sweet sounds that hold the root in little pillowy cradles, floating. Or sumpin. They can sound really strong too. But those puppies bark in these woods. Mixed with the blues minor 3rd and 7ths - killer alternating sounds. Killhahs!

But you're weeding in my patch with the Beach Boys "Wouldn't It be Nice". Great tune, and it would be, nice.

That and "Don't Worry Baby" - classic stuff.

Edited by socks

Early Beatles, to another version of the song You've Got to Hide Your Love Away - nicely done, check it out till the end ... :biglaugh:

It definitely shows that some guitar manufacturers owe a huge debt to the Beatles - Gretchs, Hofner and Rickenbacher's - the classic Beatles lineup.

Edited by socks

OH MY!!!

so much music to talk about so little time... sigh :cryhug_1_:

Socks

Sorry I was so long in responding on your beautiful piece you posted. It seemed that my iTunes didn't want to play it because someone else on my computer was also logged onto my iTunes on our computer here. Anyhow, it all got straightened out and I absolutely loved it!!! What a sweet deal ... you and your wonderful daughter together... you must just be poppin' buttons all the time!!!

Polar Bear welcome to our little music world here...it is always such a delight of discoveries with what everyone shares.

Polar Bear and my hubby played orchestra for years. Hubby on trombone and Polar on trumpet. My sister and I would often call ourselves Orchestra Widows since we would never see them for days as they rehearsed.

Vince Gill ... Socks you mentioned Vince and my heart jumped!!! I remember when we bought our first CD player stereo...I bought 2 or 3 Vince Gill CDs .... I couldn't seem to get enough of him. His sound was so pure, so interesting and pleasant to the ear. I, like you enjoy country music but I'm very selective. I must say Vince Gill is probably top guy for me in the new-country singers.

What I loved about Vince is that he was a studio musician for years before coming on the big scene in the country world. He was first and foremost a musician...then a singer/performer. I believe he has tried to stay true to the art. I respect him for that.

I found a few interesting YOUTUBE links ... the first is an interview.

The second is Vince and Alison...doesn't get much sweeter than this... smooth...sooooo smooth...

gotta run... :wave:

Edited by A la prochaine

A couple years ago, I saw an "Austin City Limits" episode that featured Vince Gill. It seems that over the years he has appeared on the show 5 different times. They featured clips of said performances and even had one of his first appearance as a member of Pure Prairie League. Anyone know if those episodes are available for purchase?