Guitar Talk

socks

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OK... you tube addict here... :huh: (thank you very much Mr. Music :( )

I just wanted share with everyone ... this ladies induction into folk music

Here it is.. I'm coming outta the closet... Gordie

This was way before the day of music videos... (obviously!)

I was 10 when this performance was done. ... yet the song was written for our 1967 for our country's centennial celebration.

Now...watching this for the first time for me was absolutely amazing... all these years never seeing him in concert... and now this...

how strange :o

Edited by A la prochaine

Uh huh. Ya got me. I don't know what gets into me, but I need to limit my input to x amount of paragraphs. Thank God for the Delete key! :biglaugh:

Guitars .... guitars .... need......must have......

QUICK!

CALL 9-1-1

He's d.c. al coding with a bad case of GAS - gear aquistion syndrome - he needs intervention!

Hide the plastic!

Tell his wife - wives usually know how to stop these things :biglaugh:

Get yourself in a 12 bar - er... I mean, 12 step program - PRONTO!

:spy:

Chatty, I wish I had! Right now I'm in - what're they called? An intervention. Bathroom break. Gotta get back, they're really sweatin' me. It'll be okay, Chas, soon as this is over I can get back to surfin' for DEALS. :)

Thanks for the clips, A la!

Edited by socks

Chatty, I wish I had! Right now I'm in - what're they called? An intervention. Bathroom break. Gotta get back, they're really sweatin' me. It'll be okay, Chas, soon as this is over I can get back to surfin' for DEALS. :)

Socks,

Because of something I use to do I frequent thrift stores and once in awhile I'll see guitars behind the counter (the good stuff haha) and have wondered if the $25 they were asking for was a steal for one of us. So not having $ to burn I decline, but I always wonder if I erred. :unsure:

Ala,

What beautiful videos alone, if you had the volume down. But they were all wonderful. The ladies you will be seeing have a wonderful flow together, very peaceful, and their voices are soothing. Gordon Lightfoot is a favorite since my brother introduced me to him many years ago.

Thank you.

(edited to add this: Socks and Ala, I won't be around anymore and I didn't want y'all to take it personal, be well my friends)

Edited by ChattyKathy

What??? Where - who - what????

I like the videos, U tube is truly a wonderful...

What????????

Chattykathy, wazzat?

I've passed over many an instrument over the years, and probably should have picked up half of them. I think there's still deals out there, but there may not be too many on the really older guitars. But, there's other brands and models opening up - Rickenbackers are gaining a lot of press, and Gretsch's have always had a good vibe going, and some great guitars.

Whaaaaat????????

I guess you just never know with old guitars. My buddy( "Dial This") rescued an old axe that had been in a flood. It was in the original case but the case sacrifised its' life to save the instrument. It is a Micro-Frets Spacetone (with a whammy bar) finished in a Martian Sunrise. I had never heard of them. There were only a handfull produced. What sets them apart is that instead of having one nut for six strings, each string has its' own adjustable nut. When it has been properly tuned there is a hold-down bar that locks it all in. It doesn't give a rat's patooty how many times or how aggressively you use the whammy bar, it stays in tune. It's great for that pedal steel kinda stuff and works for Ventures tunes as well.

I did a bit of research and found a whole bunch of really well known guys who have used them.(Mark Farner had two custom editions commissioned)

They are not worth a boat load of money( especially if the original case is gone) and that is my point.

As a financial investment it is probably a waste of time to look for one.

As a guitar that can bring its' own very unique personality to the party, it is priceless.

Ha! Chet might have tried it once or twice though Chatty!

I will read that. You're making me think, I've always held Chet Atkins in high regard and loved his music. The hokey stuff, "Mr. Sandman", the novelty tunes, the "Chet Plays the Beatles", all of it. I just like that sound, that way of playing with a melody. Of course he was the Guy on fingerstyle bass/melody picking but he also did so many other things along the way, not even to mention his work as a producer and all the artists he worked with in Nashville, etc. etc. etc.

I posted once on his use of sweep picking arpeggios in his version of "Copper Kettle", which is sung by a Lawrence Welk style mens chorus. He ends his solo with a couple of sweeps that are perfect, and then ends the solo. He never went too far or over did something. That little part's worn down on my vinyl record because I had to hear it again and again and again. That's style to me, tuna that tastes good and has good taste too.

Point - I was telling a friend about Chet at one point, he'd been playingo for awhile and he said he'd never heard of him. :blink: How's anyone who plays guitar with any degree of seriousness not know who Chet Atkins is? So I started describing some of his music, thinking I'm doing this guy the favor of his life and the more I say about him the more this guy looks at me like I'm crazy. Then I say, Chet defined the early "Nashville" pop sound, etc. etc. At that point the guy says "well now I REALLY don't like him".

I was astounded at this incredibly short sighted and uneducated opinion! Forget the violins, look at the development of the music man! Are you MAD!

Finally he says "well, who's he played with?" Okay, who HASn't he played with??? I say this guy that guy, Mark Knopfler....

His eyes light up. Cool!!! ReallY? what did they do? And so another fan was brought wiggling and wet from the womb of enlightnment. Spank that baby on the butt, Doc, he's ready to rock!!

Anyway....

Glad you're actually here Chatty!

dmiller---------I just now saw you post on the W.O.W. "blob" thread and it made me think of something I heard on the radio today. Pappa John Creach doing "Pappas' Blues". Man! The raw feeling that man could coax out of his instrument is beyond words. It sure made me wish I knew how to play the fiddle.

Today, I buy a tuner pedal. I'm getting the KORG DT-10, decided. It's not a guitar but it will do. Either locally or online, local if I can get it for the prince I want. Aaaah. Relief is on the way! I have a couple smaller tuners, but need the floor type. I need it. I want it.

Speaking of things parallel, there's a car out that will parallel park for you. Yikes!

But can it modulate to the Key of F while doing it? :biglaugh:

dmiller---------I just now saw you post on the W.O.W. "blob" thread and it made me think of something I heard on the radio today. Pappa John Creach doing "Pappas' Blues". Man! The raw feeling that man could coax out of his instrument is beyond words. It sure made me wish I knew how to play the fiddle.

Waysider -- I wish I knew how to play fiddle too!! :biglaugh:

Papa John -- what can ya say? He certainly hung out with a great crowd!!

Wasn't into his work so much in my younger years

(being the Bluegrass Junkie and all),

but learned to appreciate his stuff later in life.

Hey -- here's a clip of Jorma Kaukonen doing *Prohibition Blues*,

with Sam Bush on fiddle, Jerry Douglas on slide,

Byron House on bass, and Bela on banjo (first clip only).

Before you look at it, look at ----------->>>>>

Edited by dmiller