Guitar Talk

socks

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So like this is the scoop then. I work with Sam of that group and I'm going to see them very soon. I have worked with this guy for 2 years come March. I knew he played a bass, I knew he was cool as heck but I never inquired, how odd, anyway I was in his office this morning going on and on and another coworker came up and said you have to see Sammy play, to which I asked. He told the name and I thought he said Delta Sheets and I was looking kinda odd I reckon as I spelled it back and he rolls his eyes and laughs, I have a freaking rep around this place :redface: So he tells me the website. So I go into my office and about 5 hours later had a second to look at it. I go back into his office and bow. Tell him I had no idea. He smiled and said, I can't play that good. I said yeah right and had to return to work. Is that too cool or what. :)

I have no idea what else I was going to say but that is a little bit.

Oh yeah, well then for sure EC knows of this kid. And since I am going to become a groupie I'll end up wherever it is. :)

Maybe more but Alaprochaine is patiently waiting on AIM for me. :wave:

Wait I missed one of the biggest parts.

You can come and bring DialThis with you. (are we talking about my place?)

And I have some equipment myself here.

Okay the light is flashing that Ala has said something I must go.......

ChattyKathy------------Scotty's next gig is at a venue that EC has personal ties to but it is rather small so if he did check Scotty out I'm sure it would have to be somewhat on the QT so as not to attract a crowd. Fire Marshals are funny like that.

BTW-----Delta Shieks is fronted by none other than Mike Gilliland(harp monster and soulful vocalist)

If his name sounds familiar it is because he sat in at the last minute with Ray Fuller(with whom he has played for quite some time )at the Hot Licks Festival. They were the opening act for the festival.

Rick-------Would there be any room at your jam for an old 1/4/5 harp player? Suppose I kept my mic turned off and only played on the turnaround? Ok, what if I turned off my mic, played only on the turnaround,unplugged my amp and sat in the next room?

It's OK to say NOOOOOOOO!(we harp players are used to rejection HAHAHA)

I ain't Rick but you can come and I was just talking to him and mentioned to come post when he could. He would love that.

As he explained to me he stared this girl on his lap down until she got up. :rolleyes: :)

And you gotta meet Cynthia, she is precious. They seem to attract folks to them, it is no lie. :)

Rick-------Would there be any room at your jam for an old 1/4/5 harp player? Suppose I kept my mic turned off and only played on the turnaround? Ok, what if I turned off my mic, played only on the turnaround,unplugged my amp and sat in the next room?

It's OK to say NOOOOOOOO!(we harp players are used to rejection HAHAHA)

You are so freaking funny. Dang I'm so thrilled to have you live near me. I have some awesome folks within reach, yup.

Socks,

I gladly will stop hogging the thread.

But it was fun.

:)

You know what I speak backwards in sections of my sentences I've noticed. :blink:

Oh, heck yeah, waysider! Would love to have you join us! I LOVE 12 bar blues with a good harp player!

As he explained to me he stared this girl on his lap down until she got up.

OK, the story there is, when Cynthia and I first got to the bar, we met a couple in there who said they had been talking about going to the concert too. Actually, I think we were on a first name basis with the whole bar before we left, but that's just the way we are. We're just friendly like that. :) Anyway, this woman had uh, you know, like breasts that HAD to be bought and paid for. (If so, I'd really like to meet her doctor and shake his hand cause he did a FINE job. :biglaugh: ) So Kathy and Cynthia are talking on the other side of the table, and she walks over and starts talking to me, and sat down on my lap. I was VERY good...I looked her in the eyes the whole time. (uh-huh, SURE I did.) :who_me:

Rick

this is all very cool! Buddy Guy, part-ay! :doh: (just noticed that icon, had to use it for sumpin!)

Now the guitar polka dots in interesting. That's got me thinking - any idea or did you see what kind of amps he was using? I picture Guy getting that Strat distortion at high volume and it's seemed like a Fender amp of some sort would do that, but wonder what he used...?

This future jam sounds great!

This caught my eye (ow!) :biglaugh:

Anyway, this woman had uh, you know, like breasts that HAD to be bought and paid for. (If so, I'd really like to meet her doctor and shake his hand cause he did a FINE job. biglaugh.gif

Modern science, pushing us to a bigger and better future - er, higher vistas. That is to say, places we've never been. Or might have never been but considered. :biglaugh: Give the guys in Lab Coats a free beer! :wave:

I guess I wonder, not to digress to far afield, but - what was the guy who "invented" implants doing the day he realized that silicone had such a useful, hmm, use? Was it a by product of the Space Program? And - what levels of experimentation, testing and analysis were required to determine that saline was a better material? Were there usability tests conducted and if so who determined the Best Practices used? I'd like to be that guy. Maybe it was a woman, that opens up a whole new range of possiblities, better ones I would thnk. From a scientific standpoint. Science rocks!!!

Anyway, Bluzeman, you're a gentleman. Good job!

Edited by socks

Bluze Bro,

How did your Cynthia feel about this boobie-wonder gal doing what she did?

I know if someone did this to my husband and I was present and it continued for awhile...I would have left.

Oh, we aren't jealous of each other. We both know that we are going home with each other. Now if the lady in question planted a big lip lock on me or something and I just sat there and did nothing to try to stop it, I guess she would probably get a little upset! :biglaugh: Heck guys flirt with her all the time when we're out and it doesn't bother me. Funny thing is, she will get 20 years old dudes hitting on her sometimes which she thinks is HILARIOUS as, she's more than old enough to be their mother!

Rick

I killed it, didn't I. :(

OK, I'll try to bring it back to life! Someone told me about THIS yesterday so I had to find an mp3 of it. Jeff Beck doing Over The Rainbow!

Sounds like he's using an Ebow. I have one of those. You can get some really cool effects from it but it's a bit difficult to get smooth technique with.

OK I owe, I owe, it's of to work I go. :)

Rick

Bluzifier----------I don't have access to much high tech gear(And that's a good thing since I wouldn't know what to do with it) and it's been a long time since I listened to any Beck (Jeff ,that is ,to clarify) but I recall seeing the effect I think you are describing done by two other guitarists.

The first was in the late sixties by McKendrie from McKendrie Spring and then again in the early seventies by Phil Keagy of Glass Harp.

Both used the same technique. They worked the volume switch with the ring finger while simultaneously picking.

McKendrie added a tape delay(rare in those days) and created a sort of string quartet illusion.

McKendrie also used a bow gismo for sustained rhythms.

Keagy's usage ( for staccato) had a very emotion feel partly because his thinking was so modally based.

Buchanan did something similar but the only time I SAW him play was in the mid-sixties. I never saw him use anything in the way a special device so I have to think he probably used this ring finger type of tchnique.

Edited by waysider

Forgot to mention. I just got one of these. It was delivered Thuresday. I will be trying it out for the first time tommorrow.

It seems that the only bad reviews that it got were form pinheads who don't know how to match up speakers with the proper impedance.

The picture doesn't do it justice...it's HUGE! 400 watts per side stereo, 800 bridged @ 4 ohms. Nice!

pmh.jpg

Edited by Bluzeman

The Bow Man! Nice photo!

Bluezter, that's a nice looking board. Wattage! Euro's - have read on them, heard some recording done on through a Euro mixer and the sound was good. Good preamps.

Anyone listen to Stephen Bruton, a guitarist and singer/songwriter.

Bigger Wheel for a taste. It's a catchy chorus, nice playing, funky harp. He's got some great tunes.

Edited by socks

Hey waysider! We were posting at the same time.

The Plus! Ebow is a pretty unique little gadget. I have had mine for a couple years, but haven't had much time to get used to using it. HERE is their website.

Rick

Rick,

Yup that is a sweet piece of equipment you got there.

Waysider,

I heard Rick use the Ebow and it has some unique and incredible sounds.

Socks,

That was a fine piece and I'd not heard Stephen Bruton before I don't think.

Ala,

The thread is not boring is it? :wink2:

And it seems very alive. :)

Rick,

By equipment I meant that thing above, what exactly is the name again please?

Properly adjusted, Rick's equipment looks like it's going to ROCK! :biglaugh:

Stephen Bruton's got some cool tunes Chatty, in fact his tunes are as cool as his playing to my ear. I was out and about one afternoon and heard that tune I posted on a local station and, as I do so many times when I hear music I like, I pulled over and waited for the next DJ spot, but none gave the title or artist doing the song! Which like, really harshed my buzz man. Big time.

So for the last couple months I've been googling what I could remember, every couple weeks, looking on Rhapsody. Even searched Aries and Napster and found nothing. If you search "white flag" you get a billion hits back on some Dido song, and this ain't the Dido song. So like the proverbial light switch on the wall that doesn't do anything, every week I've done a search or too, and figuring I'd just have to email the radio station or just call or something.

Then, that part of my brain did a jump start last night and badda bing badda boink most of the chorus showed up for dinner. I searched around and found it and with trembling fingers brought it up on Rhapsody. O Happy Day, the light switch turned on and there was light! Light! And music! And Bruton.

I'm sharing this because -well, don't know why. He's a good guitarist though, in that bluesy rock vein.

E Bows have been around a long time. I always thought the idea was a great one, but the E Bow itself too unweildy to use. The Fernandes Sustainer is the same basic idea, but hands free - it's built into a pickup and mounted in the neck position and turned on or off with an onboard switch. There's an attenuator to adjust the amount of magnetic field and the resulting vibration. It's powered by a 9 volt battery, housed in the back of the guitar. It's the perfect solution IMO, sll you have is a mini-switch and a knob to adjust the strength. Once it's on, you play and the notes sustain, infinitely.

Socks,

It sounds really cool too don't it?

I loved your Stephen Bruton adventure. That's the kinda thing that when it happens you jump up and down inside going yipee. Hoping no other adults can see the little kid in you having a blast. :)

It snowed here a couple days ago for a short bit. Don't ya want to come enjoy this dude? :biglaugh:

Chatty

Wow, I could do an afternoon of snow with you alright Chatty! Cold flake is hitting the higher altitudes in the Sierra's here too, think Tahoe's got some up top. :) Here in the lower regions of Sonoma County we're getting those foggy Fall nights that are perfect for a small fire in the place. The Boy and I grilled a couple sides of salmon about an hour ago and The Wife is doing something x-rated with some mashed potatoes and garlic. I think, smells good whatever it is. Potatoes rock!

That Sustainer/E Bow effect is awesome. It's as if the strings are "alive", they vibrate slightly. Once you get used to it it's sweet. Just a tad does amazing things.

I've used compression to the same effect but that changes the sound somewhat. E Bow just makes the note sustain.

Weirdest of all to an electricist - the Sustainer works without any amplification at all. No volume requred.

Xellent smells are being served, gotta go below for a taste-see. :dance:

Edited by socks