GreaseSpot Cafe

Guitar Talk

socks

Stanley Clarke, yes! Of that era, maybe Clarke on the one hand, Pastorius on the other. Jaco went against the slap and pop tide, and while I like that style in it's place (Bootsy Collins) I preferred J.P.'s approach to the instrument. Greats, both though. Clarke was able to stay centered, while Pastorius seemed moderately unstable. But a monst-oid on da bass.

A tune of McLaugnlin's I like is "New York on My Mind", where he doubles with the violin, throughout the opening theme. He uses that melodic device a lot but it really just streeetches out nice and lazy in this tune. Phenomenon/Compulsion (think it's the title) is a relatively rock-ish tune from that same album, "Electric Guitarist". He just kills on these fast 8th note lines. "Miles Out" from Innervisions out-psyche's Hendrix, all the feedback whooshing in the intro and that stuff in the middle of the tune. :dance: Cool stuff. The man is a mastakillah. :)

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Speaking of McLoughlin-----------Anybody heard his acoustic tribute to piano jazz giant Bill Evans titled "Time Remembered"? The title itself is shared by a classic Evans piece by that name.

If you are a McLaughlin fan you will probably be overwhelmed by the brilliance of his acoustic work

It is really a beautiful and soothing collection of some of Bill's best known pieces

If,on the other hand,you are a Bill Evans "purist" you may find this one lacking some of the dark and brooding qualities so often associated with Bill Evans.

We have some hard core Evans fans in our family so this one is good fodder for lively discussion.

I,personally, am a fan of both Evans and McLaughlin so I highly recommend at least one listening from start to finish without any preconceived expectations.

I believe Verve may have been the label that issued it about 10 or 12 years ago.

Stanley Clarke, yes! Of that era, maybe Clarke on the one hand, Pastorius on the other. Jaco went against the slap and pop tide, and while I like that style in it's place (Bootsy Collins) I preferred J.P.'s approach to the instrument. Greats, both though. Clarke was able to stay centered, while Pastorius seemed moderately unstable. But a monst-oid on da bass.
Pastorius was a sad case...tragic and unnecessary death. His bass playing was smoother than most, more melodic (I'm listening to one of his solo albums as I type). Clarke I believe did a lot to bring the bass out of the "back row", partly by his use of bass-like instruments like the piccollo bass, tenor bass and other "bassoids". I pretty sure that these were all 4-string instruments played in the same style as a bass, but with different, usually higher, tunings.

I'm a sucker for innovative bass though. the late Mark Sandman of Morphine had a stable of bass-like instruments including 1-string and 2-string "basses", as well as a guitar-bass hybrid called a "tritar"...very minimalist.

6-string bass is often fun, Jack Bruce is well-known for his 6-string playing, but Joe Perry of Aerosmith used to occassionally overdub one in their early days.

John Jordon, formerly with Chris Duarte, currently working for Kinky Friedman plays a custom-made 7-string bass. I have no idea how its tuned.

John Jordon, formerly with Chris Duarte, currently working for Kinky Friedman plays a custom-made 7-string bass. I have no idea how its tuned.

I imagine it would be tuned to the days of the week… :)

Anyway – Oak, I do like Clark’s arsenal of basses and techniques. I especially like on Light as a Feather album where he uses a Wah Wah Pedal on an acoustic bass while he bows it!

Waysider – when you mentioned McLaughlin’s acoustic work - I’ve got a great CD of Al DiMeola, John McLaughlin and Paco DeLucia Friday Night in San Francisco – it’s one rip roaring flamenco-like acoustic fret scorcher! Recorded in 1980…I had a great LP – that I just loved – all acoustic stuff by McLaughlin with Larry Coryell…I’ll have to see if I can find it on CD.

Chatty – thanks for that Clark clip – I realized something while watching/listening – when you have worked your way up from the bottom to become the Master of the Bottom – you can hire another bass player to provide the backbone while you mess around.

Bass tunings ----

Q: How is the 7 string bass tuned?

While you’re on the subject; How about the 8 and 9 string bass?

A: Our standard tuning for the 7 string bass is Low B, E, A, D, G, C and High F (all in fourths). It can also be tuned from Low F# (a fourth below B) to High C. Another tuning is from E to High A#. Finally, some players with treble clef in their blood tune their 7’s Low B, E, A, D, G, B, E.

With that in mind, the 8 string bass is usually tuned Low F#, B, E, A, D, G, C and High F or Low B, E, A, D, G. C, F and High A#. Finally, the monster 9 is tuned Low F#, B, E, A, D, G, C, F and High A#.

I've heard of 8-string basses - I believe Geezer Butler of Black Sabbath played one when I saw them in 1977 - it looked like the strings were doubled sorta like a 12-string guitar - but nine strings - holy crap! Do you need to have an extra knuckle added to get your fingers around the neck on those things?

(I don't know why I haven't joined in on this thread before) :spy:

Edited by Oakspear

Oaks, I've seen a few 8 strings - basically (kaff) a 4 string with a double set on each, similar to a 12 string arrangement. They've got a very 'big' sound. Doug Pinnck of Kings X has been playing one for years. (Texan) He and Ty Tabor (guitar) get a pretty thick sound with it, Tabor plays a 7 string sometimes, and uses "Dropped D" tuning on 6 string at times too, where the low E is lowered down a step. Together with the bass it allows for monster riffs.

Yah, we've touched on Jaco before. It's kinda sad, in that he always seemed a buck short of having it together. He could have done well just with gigging solo and doing sideman stuff, if he'd just settled down a bit. Then everyone would have come to him, I think. He could have brought back bebop and put it into a completely new package. But it weren't to be. :(

Where I see a difference in Clarke and he is in what they wanted the music to be. Where both were part of the fusion scene/sound, Jaco "swung" for want of a better word. He could bring that jazz swing sound into heavier arrangements. I think his impeccable (as they call it) sense of timing and mastery of the fretboard allowed him to play extremely complex parts while still pushing it along with feeling. Clarke did a lot more pulse, beat stuff, and of course did it extremely well too. Jaco could craft articulation and feeling into those lightning fast melodies he'd do, alter volume within the passage using fingering technique, and be on the beat and keep it moving all at the same time. Way off the chart. X-Rated, with a capital EX. :dance:

Years ago in a semester of Harmony Theory my teacher described a single beat/note as a football. He'd rail on musicians in class - "they don't play ON the beat, they can't even FIND the beat sometimes!" yada yada. But he was right, and the image of a football is a good one - the "envelope" of the beat or note has a point of entry, a start, and a mid-point of full realization, and then a decay or point of regress. What he'd point out all the time was that the WHOLE thing has to be 'on" beat to be, uh, on the beat. And the tendency of most musicians, due to technical execution reasons of one kind or another, is to not play consistently on beat. If the note/beat were a football thrown, it would wobble instead of being a bullet in other words. So, the big emphasis in the two classes I had with this guy was that while the beauty and life of music is in the expression of each of those notes/beats the student has to learn first before everything else to develop that sense of time to the point where it rules the mind and body. Then from that point of stablility, music can be made.

Or so he said. I tend to agree while being fully aware that the realities of playing an instrument require practice and dedication to truly do that. And when it comes down to cases, you play what you play as well as you can. And I guess that makes the difference between "great", "good", "bad" and everything else inbetween.

Jaco - that's where I think he shined. He had that natural foundation, developed over time, to where he always had that right, or could if he was buttoned down and in the pocket. So his swing, sense of rhythim and ability to craft a funky sound were so good.

It's sad he died the way he did, beaten to death in the street by a bar bouncer who couldn't just call a cab or the police and have him removed. He wasn't a threat to anyone, certainly not a guy who rousts strangers in a bar. Justice was not served there at all in my opinion. But most of all I'm saddened that he didn't have the chance that more time would have given him to pull it together and do good things, personally and musically.

Edited by socks

OK...I saw Buddy Guy Last night...HELL of a concert!

Will give details later, but one of the best parts of the evening was, I got to meet ChattyKathy and her husband! It was great..they are fun people! We had a great evening!

Again, I will give more details later.

Rick

Oh my goodness Socks,

I just watched the Cookie Blues and that is one of the coolest things I have ever seen. I have to watch it again now. It is so light and adorable. Gosh I love the blues. (((you)))

I can't thank you for the other as I haven't gotten to it yet. :)

As Rick said last night we saw Buddy Guy. Gosh, more on him in a bit. Dang, it was like pure coolness coming down from the stage, and the venue is quite wonderful, I could dance in my spot and not be crowded. :)

Rick was on the monitor when Buddy came down into the audience. I was outside :( but I didn't miss too much else.

Another thing about Rick is he can party and it has taken me a good part of the day to want to talk at all. :biglaugh:

I could tell you about the girl that came up and just sat on his lap but Cynthia and I found other things to occupy our time. Cynthia is one of the most precious things I've ever met, we are lifelong friends on first meeting and I think I can speak that freely for her.

As to Rick, he doesn't just walk into a room, geez I know this one man we all knew that use to think he gave off vibes when he walked into a room, but Rick just attracts people to him.

I just needed to razz on the guy some; he's been my best friend forever I think. :wink2:

Back at some point I promise. I have to watch this Cookie Blues again at least once before I proceed any further.

And did I mention that Rick knows how to party. :unsure:

And Waysider if you read this before I return that kid Scotty Bratcher will have Eric Clapton offering to be his warm up band someday. And that ain't talking about sweet looking and hot playing until you could not stand to stay on the ground blues of Buddy Guy's. Ah yeah it was indeed a sweeeet night.

Edited by ChattyKathy

Sorry I got distracted.

David, I will listen to yours in just a second.

Socks, that next one, wow, that is one beauuuuuutiful instrument!

I have to start with this kid that opened. Waysider and his buddy said he was pretty incredible then last night heard a little bit more but he picked up a guitar at 16. He just graduated at 18 and he just blew me away. Hubby said he has technique and skill that's amazing but he lacks the soul that Bubby has. But once he has some age under him, I believe we may have us another SRV, no lie, this kid is just amazing. (btw….Rick, Cynthia, Waysider, DialThis (what I'm gonna call our other buddy) and Wasway…..I know where he will be next…uh huh)

Buddy has smoothness to him that makes ya think he could tame a savage beast while at the same time bring out the beast.

His playing can be condensed to a couple of licks and you think you just heard an orchestra. He was in a good mood last night obviously. He even asked for house lights to be kept on so he could see us and communicate with us. He gave us a great show, even having just recovered from a throat infection or virus of some sort it sounded, the man is one of only a few left, I thank God I got to see him and if his looks and playing is any indication he will be slapping that neck again here I hope.

There is more but I'll leave some stuff for Rick.

(I really must stop talking to people when I am posting)

Edited by ChattyKathy

David,

The middle one I love and have since I first heard them. They can make strings on a piece of rounded wood sound mighty fine, oh yes. Thank you.

The last are energetic and beautiful pickers.

The first probably is my favorite, even over the second one. That is maturity in your instrument IMHO.

Hey you, I was just heading away from this screen and saw you post.

You would have loved him last night, Scotty that is, I couldn't keep my feet on the floor. But I wasn't wearing those boots I was wearing when you and I met, which I've wanted to ask you....were you being nice not to mention how wild they were?....hahahahaha

And Buddy Guy did us good he did. You'd of loved the show. He is simply fine!

Now if BB would come to our neck of the woods.

BB King that is, guitar gold, bubbling out from his licks.

Man, what a night! Me and Cynthia got in town about 3 hours early and called Kathy to ask where a good club is in that area to meet up. They don't go out much so I ended up going to a bar close to a place I lived 18 years ago, that was only about 10 minutes from the venue.

Kathy and her husband are nice, down to earth kind of people folks! We all had a great time! I don't think Kathy stopped dancing from the time the concert started till it ended! :)

Scotty Bratcher was just incredible! I heard conflicting stories, some said he's 18, some said 19. No matter, he's too damn good to be that young! He did Voodoo Chile (Slight Return) and did it justice! I was very impressed.

Now Buddy Guy, well, he's just one of the masters! What else can you say? One of the few of that "old breed" bluesmen, that are still with us. He kicked a$$. "Damn Right I Got The Blues!" Yeah! The highlight of the evening was when he was walking through the audience. He came to me and Cynthia and stopped and I gave him a very quick and light pat on the shoulder(he was surrounded by security of course) and told him how awesome I thought he was, then he turned and played right to me and Cynthia for about a minute. Later I'm walking to the john and 3 different people stopped and said, Hey, you're the dude that was on the monitor! So guess that was my 15 minutes of fame. :)

Oh, and I forgot to mention...he wasn't playing his black start with white poka-dots. He was playing a WHITE strat with BLACK poka-dots. First time I've seen that one.

OK, so this summer, I've been to the Blues festival at Mohican State Park, CSN&Y, and Buddy Guy. Gotta get on ticketmaster's site and see who's next. :)

Rick

Edited by Bluzeman

Oh, and I forgot to mention this. Cynthia is, among other things, my singer. Haven't even mentioned this to Kathy yet, but I told her that Kathy is also a singer. So she said yesterday that we might just have to pack up the PA and a couple small monitors, some mic's, amps, etc. and head to their place and record a few things. Sound good Kathy? :)

Rick

Yup, I suspect I got my exercise and that was why I was outside when Buddy came down to you and Cynthia, I was cooling down. :(

And I would be honored to sing with Cynthia. Oh my, I just adored her Rick, I imagine it was obvious. And the way she cares for you is precious, you do notice that don't you dude? (with my hands on my hips and pouting at you now.....hahahahahaha)

I have done nothing but yap at my buds here at work about Saturday night. Oh btw I am going to a local club this Friday night to see one of the guys that works here and his band. With someone or alone ... :)

I mentioned how Eric Clapton would offer to be the warm up for this kid and I was reminded Eric lives just minutes from me so I asked my coworkers if they thought it would be nuts to send him a communication about Scotty and tell him to see him if he hasn't yet.

Hey, what's up with that 3 hours stuff Mr. 15minutesoffame? I didn't take that long to get to where you were did I?

(posted by accident at my home ground Nostaglia until...bong...I just remembered I was in the wrong thread while posting)

Okay a couple more quick things while I eat some ham salad with crackers. And I don't like ham so I have never understood this about me.

I know I was razzing on Rick but you have to be with the guy to appreciate the joy it brings me. :P

Buddy's band is as excellent as he. There was a piano player (but that can't be what he's really called as he does more) that just blew me away. I swear he had the soul in looks but a different looking soul. He wore a beret and had one of those beatnik goatees and was too hot for his fingers. Then the other guitarists were so good that I thrilled at one of them tuning up at the start of the show when they were uncovering and preparing their stuff. The drummer was like this big ole guy that looked like he could go no where fast but he could make the sounds that completed this group with the best of them and he made it look like he was simply putting his arms down, such confidence and experience.

There really is a difference in an aged blues player or singer that just can't be reproduced unless you have lived it in your soul.

When that kid gets it in his I want to be around. It thrills me to think of Eric Clapton going to see him and maybe I just might be there. I think I'm going to become a Scotty Bratcher groupie. I wonder if Clapton will remember the time he was across the street from my house and knew we were looking at him with the lights out like no one was home, the real goofball thing was we had a house full of folks so it ain't like that wouldn't have looked odd to have a dark house loaded with cars. Oh well, but as we were peaking someone made a noise loud enough it got his attention and he looked over at the house. I'm real sure he will remember THAT moment in time. LMAO :biglaugh:

Be good, I have way too much to be yapping.

ChattyKathy------------Scotty's next gig is at a venue that EC has personal ties to but it is rather small so if he did check Scotty out I'm sure it would have to be somewhat on the QT so as not to attract a crowd. Fire Marshals are funny like that.

BTW-----Delta Shieks is fronted by none other than Mike Gilliland(harp monster and soulful vocalist)

If his name sounds familiar it is because he sat in at the last minute with Ray Fuller(with whom he has played for quite some time )at the Hot Licks Festival. They were the opening act for the festival.

Rick-------Would there be any room at your jam for an old 1/4/5 harp player? Suppose I kept my mic turned off and only played on the turnaround? Ok, what if I turned off my mic, played only on the turnaround,unplugged my amp and sat in the next room?

It's OK to say NOOOOOOOO!(we harp players are used to rejection HAHAHA)