GreaseSpot Cafe

Guitar Talk

socks

Let me guess Dmiller - you begin your letters with "Tune it may concern..."

Ala - exciting posts about the Toronto concert - and I checked out the youtube clips - especially the funkmonky - funny! :biglaugh:

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OK...

Just checking in... went to see the Wailin' Jennys last night.

I was transported...musically...completely transported.

Got to meet them, talk, take pictures.

I am the consumate music junkie NOW.

I could write a book about last nights performance.

But THE MOST incredible thing was ...

I WAS FRONT ROW CENTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And, I had no idea that I was 'til I got there...I thought I was in the last row .... I read the seating chart backwards when I bought the tickets...

hahahahahahha (true story!)

I will come back and chat a bit later...

MR. MUSIC MAN... YOU WOULD HAVE FREAKED TO SEE THESE GIRLS PLAY!!!

Instruments they played between the 3 of them...

Guitar

Harmonica

Mandolin

Banjo

Violin

Button Accordion

Bodran Drum

Lap snair drum

I'm still freaken'! (can you tell!)

And they recorded last night's performance and it will be released as their live album (and I was there)

oh my oh my oh my oh my oh my oh my oh my oh my!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And, I had no idea that I was 'til I got there...I thought I was in the last row .... I read the seating chart backwards when I bought the tickets...

Ala --- who'd a ever thunk you were a DIXIE(lexic) CHICK!! :blink: ;)

Edited by dmiller

CK - nice clip - I can hear a 12-string guitar, but can't see who is playing it...

We had the pleasure of seeing the Eagles a couple of years ago - I liked them before the concert - I loved them afterwards. The thing that impressed me the most was that although they had quite a few hired guns (stage musicians) on with them, you could still distinctly hear them - and they were excellent.

As a result of the concert, I got into Poco for a bit - anyone here like Poco?

Okay - I was looking for a Poco clip to share, but no luck...

I did find this - I thought it was cool -

:dance:

Wow - that's a neat clip of Rodrigo Y Gabriela, Chas! That would be a fun tune to play along with the bass - if I could keep up with them....Maybe if I grease up my strings and down 5 gallons of Cappuccino - maybe then....mmmmmm - and take some bass lessons - take an Evelyn Wood Speed Reading Course.....

Edited by T-Bone

One of the things that impresses me about classical guitarist's is the lack of *position dots* on the fingerboard.

On fiddle -- I have none (obviously), but I really DO rely on the 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th, 12th,

and 15th fret dots on the fingerboard of the guitar, mandolin, and banjo.

It always blows me away -- that someone can play that well, that clean,

and have no*dots* on the fingerboard to relate to.

Kudos to classical!!

Hey! dmiller------------My harmonicas don't have dots either. True, they have little stamped numbers, but who would ever look at them in the middle of a riff? In fact, some guys like Paul Butterfield and William Clarke ignored the numbers completely and were content to play upside down.(The instrument, not the player.) Heck! Sonny Boy II used to put one in his mouth like a cigar and still play things I can't figure out,though I'm sure that in itself is no guarrantee of complexity. Ever listen to any Yank Rachel or some of the early "string band" blues groups? Mando. had a huge presence in these early groups and where you draw the line between them, bluegrass, and blues can often be a mighty fine line, indeed. Fiddle and banjo were quiite popular in early blues as well. Rich DelGrasso seems to be doing his part to bring the two a little closer together again. It's all good music, so how come we have to put it in little boxes with a genre label attached to it?

Happy Day, Love Bunnies. How's everyone? :) So much reading...

I'm awash in swells of swell, A la! Music - the salve that soothes and ignites, all at once sometimes!

We saw Sheryl Crow~John Mayer show at the Shoreline Pavillion, Sunday evening. Great night, good weather. It had a rough start - on the way a terrible auto accident slowed traffic down, as if that was the worst consequence, but it's how we knew about it. By the time we went by the one car that remained was sitting in the middle of a Fire truck and tow truck, completely flipped over and the top crushed flat. It's difficult to see something like that and go on your way. But we did and got to the concert early enough.

And WOW, Sheryl Crow and her band opened and were great. Had good seats, middle right, close enough to feel the heat, back enough to be loose. Mom, the Girl and me. Her band has great rock/pop guitarists, her website hasn't updated with that date yet, but the Sacramentio show is up and they're lookin' good. I love the ensemble sound of the guitars, that pop style. She's a solid musician, have to respect that in her music. She's not just wiggling and being Sheryl, she's playing the tunes, making music. :dance:

Mayer - great performance. He's definitely got The Look, and God bless 'im I hope he continues to do well. I wanted to see this because he's got his full band on this tour, and after a year of shaking it out with his trio doing blues jams I wanted to see how he'd pull it all together and how it would inform his songwriting and playing. There's some cool things going on in his playing now. He's certainly got the chops and will be interesting to follow as he keeps at it. He's young and full of energy while having a very thoughtful maturity. "Sensitive", with a beat. He respects his roots, and what he's taking from.

Sweet moment - hearing "Daughters" with my daughter and I side by side. Tune like that, makes you want to do right. That's good.

Did all the hits, great music, plus some of the new stuff. His band had guitarist Robbie McIntosh, guitarist David Ryan Harris, and bassist David LaBruyere and drummer JJ Johnson. The bass player has played on most of his stuff and he is truly x-rated, I really like his playing. He interacted a lot with Harris. And McIntosh is perfect for that layered guitar sound Mayer uses - he played on a lot of the Pretender stuff. Played a beautiful Gretsch.

The had at least 20 guitars, stage left. That was cool! Gibson Les Pauls and Fender Tele's and Strats as far as the eye could see. SWEEEeet.

He's got a great lyric that I'm kicking msyelf for not writing because it hits several nails I haven't been sure what to do with, right squarely. It's the tune "Belief"....the music is cool too.

"Belief"

Is there anyone who

Ever remembers changing there mind from

The paint on a sign?

Is there anyone who really recalls

Ever breaking rank at all

For something someone yelled real loud one time

Everyone believes

In how they think it ought to be

Everyone believes

And they're not going easily

Belief is a beautiful armor

But makes for the heaviest sword

Like punching under water

You never can hit who you're trying for

Some need the exhibition

And some have to know they tried

It's the chemical weapon

For the war that's raging on inside

Everyone believes

From emptiness to everything

Everyone believes

And no ones going quietly

Is there anyone, you can remember

Ever surrender?

With their life on the line?

We're never gonna win the world

We're never gonna stop the war

We're never gonna beat this

If belief is what we're fighting for

What puts a hundred thousand children in the sand

Belief can

Belief can

What puts the folded flag inside his mother's hand

Belief can

Belief can

Edited by socks

Fiddle and banjo were quiite popular in early blues as well. Rich DelGrasso seems to be doing his part to bring the two a little closer together again. It's all good music, so how come we have to put it in little boxes with a genre label attached to it?

You're right about the *inter-twining* of instruments from one style to another. :)

I never meant any harm by it.

So if I *profile* a musical style -- it's for my benefit ---

that way I can remember who I am talking about. ;)

(Ps -- Papa John Creach (Jefferson Airplane, Starship, and Hot Tuna), was another.)

Socks, thanks for sharing the words to "Belief". After reading those and remembering the lyrics to "Daughters" that Ala posted earlier - I'm gonna hafta get a CD or two of Mayer's...Man, he puts some thought into his choice of words...

On a different note - I finally got Jeff Beck's Beckology. Wow - there's a bunch of kickin' tunes on that! I love the stuff he did with Bogart and Appece.

Dear Socks,

Yes his song Belief is amazing lyrically. When I first downloaded that song, I actually downloaded a version from the radio. This was something Mayer did before the album 'Continuum' actually was released. With every song he would explain what went on behind the tune and how is came about.

This is what he said about Belief:

"It's a really tricky one. Didn't think it was going to be on the record, but really, really, really faught. Don't think there was a harder faught song that I ever put on a record before. It's a really tricky topic ummm.... you write a song called Belief and you better be careful. It took me a long time to choose my words correctly (unlike the rest of my life).

I ran into Ben Harper at dinner one night (actually the night I decided to finish this song) which is very kind of serendipidous and asked him would he play on it. And he really kinda' drove the song home for me. With him on it, now it is really, officially, really, really kinda' gritty. And thanks to Ben Harper, this is a song...called... Belief..."

Edited by A la prochaine

Mr. Music Man,

ok... I'm sitting here... for way too long watching Mayer Videos...

One video has a 'behind the scenes' little interview and one of his musicians (David the guitarist/vocalist) talks about the new album ....

says... John has an older spirit musically...

I must say that that is a very precise, unmistakable and succinct description of him.

(Chatty I saved you the anguish of being first on the page :biglaugh: )

Edited by A la prochaine

On a different note - I finally got Jeff Beck's Beckology. Wow - there's a bunch of kickin' tunes on that! I love the stuff he did with Bogart and Appece.
I've not gotten Beckology, but have a good chunk of his stuff: both albums with Rod Stewart & Ronnie Wood, the "Orange" album with the 2nd Jeff Beck Group, Wired, Blow By Blow, Guitar Shop, There & Back, Who Else?, and the live album with The Jan Hammer Group, as well as BB&A.

What I love about Beck is that he pretty much would reinvent himself every couple of albums. Quite a bit of musical variety. You can even hear him sing (sort of) on a few tunes on the Truth bonus tracks "Talleyman" and "Hi-Ho Silver Lining". Come to think of it, one or both might be on Beckology too