GreaseSpot Cafe

Guitar Talk

socks

Dan Fans! It's great so many of us like them, I think. They're certainly diverse and multi-faceted. Nothing beats their acceptance of the Grammy a few years ago. They looked as surprised as everyone else. They definitely deserved it, if as a "Half-A-Lifetime" achievement award and nothing else!

Fagen looks amused in that video dmiller - when his "or" cue hangs there for a mo' or too. That's a cool clip!

Yuppers, the Fagen/Becker assemblages are always filled with quality music and guitarists abound. I like Becker in the "Peg" video when he's soloing the bass line on the mixer, showing the slap part and his head's bopping. Also the way they intently inspect the board as they meander around through comments. They act like they play, it seems. The Dansters make some good music!!

I guess I like seeing moderately normal-if-not-fairly-tweezed musicians acting like moderately normal-if-not-fairly-tweezed adult people, minus the tat's, hair-style of the year and eye-catching clothing. They look like they might buy their shirts and pants at storesthat sell shirts and pants. And belts. If you know what I mean.

Chas, the guitar switching may have a number of reasons behind it. Some guitarists, like Walsh and say, Tom Petty, are really picky about their sounds and use an instrument for it's authentic sound. Like, if they want a Harrison-early-Beatles sound they may go for a Gretseh or a Rickenbacher, and pop a pedal or switcher to crank up the right amp sound. Etc. Etc.

Walsh may be just authenticating his tax return. When musicians make some dough they tend to start buying the instruments they've always wanted, or that they run across or that get brought their way. Since guitarists play guitars, that makes them legitimate tax deductions - they need them to work, they're equipment and deductible. G.A.S. - a - go-go! They have to play them and use them though of course, and would want to naturally.So they need to play them occasionally, in performance or the studio, put them to some use. It's a beautiful thing. :)

I read an interview years ago with a guitarist, can't remember the name, but it was one of those touring-heavy southern rock bands I think. They'd been out on the road all their lives and suddenly started selling one of their albums, went to playing stadiums, and had all this money coming in. The guys' accountant told him he'd better do something quick to shelter some of his money or he was going to burn half of it in taxes. So he went out and bought a bunch of guitars, went nuts. He played them out the rest of the tour, solved that problem! :biglaugh:

E.C.!!! EC!!!!

So what about that Mayer concert, A la? Going to see him and Sheryl Crow next weekend. How did the young lad do? I have high hopes for next weekend - he's been burning it up for a year or so now, should be in the groove and fully engaged, I'd suspect.

Edited by socks

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Socks,

Since you asked.. don't have alot of time...but

JOHN MAYER was supreme!!

it was so wonderful cause it was a daytime/outdoor concert...and i got the most wonderful pictures... cause there actually weren't that many people as compared to a stadium filled with 30,000 lets say.

He played a full hour and did one tune after another.. he played many from the Contiuum album and many from his earlier stuff as well.

He must have had 10-15 guitars on stage and was just INTO IT!!!

His full band was with him with organist (Harman) and bass player, guitarist (something macintosh I think was his name whom i believe played for norah when i saw her) drummer, trumpet player.. you name it!

OK... gotta run...

i'll have to spew more later..

enjoy

Dear Mr. Music Man,

NO ... no souvenir picks! :(

The full set list was:

Pretending

I Shot The Sheriff

Got To Get Better In A Little While

Old Love (with Robert Cray)

Everybody Oughta Make A Change

Motherless Children

sit down set (acoustic)

Back Home

I Am Yours

Nobody Knows You When You're Down And Out

Running On Faith

After Midnight

Little Queen Of Spades

Further On Up The Road

Wonderful Tonight

Layla

Cocaine

Encore

Crossroads (with Robert Cray)

Ok... I could blither... but let me post this write up I found ... this guy seemed to be a little more knowledgeable than I could ever be about guitarists and Eric Clapton.

"Review by Jason Hickox

I've once again been fortunate enough to attend a performance by Eric Clapton in Toronto. I look forward to his return with every new album. I have had the privilege of seeing him in concert 6 or 7 times over the past 20 years. I had yet to experience a disappointing concert until tonight.While I certainly wouldn't rate tonight as a bad experience, it certainly wasn't one of his more stellar efforts.

Initially there was some concern that Eric would have to cancel his Toronto concert as he had done in Auburn Hills on Saturday night. We were glued to the local classic rock station for any news on Sunday's performance. Lucky for us, everything was a go. Four friends and myself loaded up the cars and drove to Toronto to enjoy tonight's performance. For the first time in several Clapton concerts we were able to hear the opening act. Usually we would arrive in time to hear Eric's first number.

Robert Cray's band put on a great show. I haven't seen Robert perform in many years and found his performance tonight to be well worth the wait. I have not kept current on his material, so much of it was heard for the first time. Robert is a fine guitar player and his style of the Blues is refreshing. There were a few numbers I recognized from over the years. Overall it was fun. Robert is not a loud player. He keeps the volume down which adds to the listening enjoyment. His guitar work and singing were superb. I would definitely see Robert in concert again.

It was with bated breath we awaited the arrival of Eric on stage. I will not bother to recount the set list as it was the same as the Chicago show. We were concerned that Eric's sore throat might have hampered his performance. We really didn't have much to worry about. His voice was strong and sure. Eric is one of the few performers whose voice has actually gotten better with age. He has more power and strength now than he did 20 years ago. I did feel he might have been favouring his voice a little as he seemed to present Derek and Doyle with more than enough opportunities to showcase their guitar playing prowess. Herein lies the disappointment.

Doyle Bramhall has never been one of my favourite guitar players. He tends to rely on a lot of volume and flash for his style. He seems at odds with Eric who is such a seasoned and refined player. Bramhall sounds crude in comparison. Tonight he seemed to have his guitar volume turned to the maximum. His playing actually on occasion drowned out the other musicians. Doyle is playing with some real legends in the music industry here, and on his solos he seems to be showing the masters the latest flash he picked up at the local music store. On a peculiar note, he spent most of the evening facing his amplifier with his back to the audience. A bit of advice for Eric to consider when selecting musicians for his next album/tour, leave Bramhall at home. He really isn't as refined as Andy Fairweather Low, whom I missed on this tour.

Derek Trucks on the other hand was a great addition to Eric's band. I have a great appreciation for Derek's playing after listening to The Allman Brother's Band Hitting The Note album. Derek has great potential in the music industry. Watching him play guitar, especially slide, brings me back to the Derek & The Dominoes classic Layla & Other Assorted Love Songs. You can definitely tell by Derek's playing that he is a protege of the late great Duane Allman. The quality of guitar work is frightening to say the least. If you were to close your eyes and listen, you'd swear it was Duane up there. However, there was one problem with Derek's performance as well. His guitar volume was too high as well. At times his volume drowned out that of Eric And Willie Weeks.

As for the rest of the band, the veterans definitely get the nod for keeping everything tight. Willie Weeks is one of the greatest bass players alive and his attention to detail shows. The only disappointment being he was given only one brief segment to showcase his talent. Given the amount of soloing time given to Derek and Doyle, I feel a little more attention could have been given to Weeks. Perhaps one of the most entertaining aspects of the night's performance was that of the drummer Steve Jordan. On several occasions stage hands had to come out to help Steve readjust his drum kit. Such is the man's energy while playing. Steve is a truly great drummer. Chris Stainton is always reliable on keyboards. I have had the privilege of hearing Chris' playing on several occasions now and he fits the performances quite nicely. He was especially spirited during his playing on both Cocaine and Layla. Overall, he's good fun. Both Tim Carmon and the background singers appear to be having fun as well. Everyone was enjoying themselves and it was apparent in the performance.

Overall, another fine performance by my favourite guitarist. Eric Clapton ranks amongst my favourite musicians of any style. I am continually amazed that every album he releases gets better than the one before. I attribute tonight's deficiency's to Eric's concern over his voice, issues with the sound technicians in regard to guitar volume, and a little too much focus on the other guitar players abilities. At points I felt Eric would like to stand back and let the young guns do the talking. While both Doyle and Derek are certainly great guitarists in their own right, they're certainly not Eric Clapton. "

... I'll chat more in a bit...

I gotta say... STEVE JORDAN.... OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD....

HE IS A GOD!!!! :who_me::who_me::who_me::who_me::who_me:

oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh....

this is the coolest

I brought my SLR Camera with this huge Macro lense on it... thinking..no way i'm getting in... but i don't care.. i'll take pictures of the stadium outside... and they can store it away for me during the concert...

well they make this announcement about not being allowed cameras inside the stadium.... before checking in...then about 20 min. later they announce that cameras will be allowed in since they didn't have a certain security on that night to check them.

SO I TOOK MEGA PICS OF THE CONCERT WITH THIS INCREDIBLE ZOOM LENSE AND I HAD SUPER seats....!!!!

YUP...this really happened!!! :biglaugh:

Edited by A la prochaine

Steve Jordan

Jordan was playing on John Mayer's tour earlier in the year, in fact at the New Year's show Mayer did here in San Francisco. He's a great drummer.

Sounds like a very cool concert A la! Those pics should be interesting! More and more, it's very difficult for photo's to be restricted at concerts I'm seeing, as people can take snapshots with their cell phones all night long now. So it may be a moot point as time goes on. I've got a Sony Cybershot that's about the size of a cell phone, carry it in a belt case, always goes in no problem.

The comments about Bramhall are interesting. He's been around a long time in the southwest, Austin, since the Arc Angels. His band Storyville with Charlie Sexton makes some great music, blues stuff. He's definitely a loud guitarist too, but I've seen a few televised things where he's played and he's been fine in the mix. I doubt anyone in the world can be on Clapton's stage and expect to burn him, so I doubt that's going on. But while I have a great respect and appreciation for Clapton it's always seemed like he does better when he's pushed a little, so his having top current guitarists along with him at this point is probably something he enjoys. He's got nothing to prove at this stage of his life, other than getting out and doing his best. I'd hazard a guess that working with aggressive musicians helps him keep at it. Someone like D.B. has his sound together, knows his stuff, plays left-handed/upside down so he's got certain techniques well known in blues guitar down cold, and you know he's going to be hitting it serious right from the get-go. I bet they ripped. :dance:

Derek Trucks - Chas posted on Derek a ways back! Yeah! That guy's got SERIOUS tone, and chops and creativity. What a combination of guitarists!! Here's to EC for bringing the best out with him. That takes guts, and confidence as well as a love for the music.

Pics! Pics! I'm out and about this week so may not be back on for a day or so, but will be checking in!

Edited by socks

ok...

pictures...

They're not digital ... so I only have 'hard copies' and no scanner...

maybe can scan from hubbie's work.

But...what I was thinking was...

(chatty are you sitting down... I was thinking of sending a series of pictures to you and then you can do the scanning/posting thingy and you'd have a original copies to keep)

you ok with this...would this work???

let me know.

oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh....

this is the coolest

I brought my SLR Camera with this huge Macro lense on it... thinking..no way i'm getting in... but i don't care.. i'll take pictures of the stadium outside... and they can store it away for me during the concert...

well they make this announcement about not being allowed cameras inside the stadium.... before checking in...then about 20 min. later they announce that cameras will be allowed in since they didn't have a certain security on that night to check them.

SO I TOOK MEGA PICS OF THE CONCERT WITH THIS INCREDIBLE ZOOM LENSE AND I HAD SUPER seats....!!!!

Ala -- You were hopping (walking) by the spirit that night.

You've mastered pfal -- (Photos For Ala's Library).

You've taken your camera where cameras fear to tread, and allowed it to *take part*

(koinoneo -- sharing fully), in a mountain top experience!!

You MUST'VE had your wants and needs parallel.

You seemingly successfully confronted the constrictive law of *be-leaving*

(As in --- I won't be-leaving my camera at the gate!)

NO WAY were they going to take those fire engine red drapes

(cough!!) -- that camera away from you! Congrats!

Were you wearing a NO FEAR T-shirt, as you faced the adversary at the gate?

We applaud you for TAKING A STAND!!

(though you were probably SITTING MUCH as well)

both before the concert, and during the performance also. (Bullinger)

"Tell me what you believe about stadium security --

and I'll tell you how far you can take your camera inside!"

(Ps -- being in Canada and all -- did you see a vision of fiddlehead ferns growing through the snow??

And hear a voice saying -- I'll let you take pictures such as has not been seen since Cream??)

Now -- the truth of a prophet --- AHEM! (photographer),

is if their prophecies ---AHEM! (photos) turn out.

Can't wait to see if you're a true prophet -- photographer!!

:biglaugh:

Edited by dmiller

Have you ever had a certain song stuck in your head? :huh:

I can't seem to get John Mayer's song... Gravity... from his Continuum album, outta my head. (maybe it has something to do with me listening to that song ad nauseum for days :unsure: ).

I can't seem to get enough of those subtle guitar licks ... those absence of notes drive me bonkers...

so soooooooooooooooooooooooothinnnnnnnnnnnnnngggg!!! :redface2:

Edited by A la prochaine

Mr. Music,

I started to watch that video...wonderful...except on the recorded version...it is Robbie McIntosh (I think that's his name??) who does much of the these subtle licks on the song.

Anywho...

The coolest thing... I started to scroll down on YouTube to see other video's of Mayer...and boom...there are tons of video's from the concert I just went to in Toronto. I swear... I can probably see the back of my head in some shots. This person was probably right beside or behind me.

I've sent pics to Chatty...you will see when she posts the pics that they are taken at the very same angle as the video...

This is WILD!!!

Thanks music man ...

Mr. Music,

OK... I"m dying here...

You must go and watch the John Mayer video of Toronto..posted by FunkyMonky83 doing WHY GEORGIA PART I

ok...as you begin to watch the video...this big burley security guard shows up... and starts harassing this poor guy in the audience. I'm right behind the guy he is harassing.

Now the wacky thing was this. This security guy told this guy he couldn't take pictures with his camera. He had the exact same camera as me except his was a digital.

So the security guy says...NO PICTURES.

NOW.... it's an OPEN free concert in a public place. :unsure:

So this guy says...what??? It's a free concert. I'm in the open here??? The security guard was a NAZI!!!

So this guy just kept taking pictures and the security guy came back again...and then the guy with the camera starts arguing again. Then, he looks at the security guard and says... here... I'll take a pic of you (security guard) and does. It was halarious! Then he says... Can I take a picture of a bird? So he points his camera up and takes a picture of the sky.

So here I was right behind with my camera. I just kept taking pictures when the NAZI wasn't looking. At one point I took a picture of the big screen which then my camera was up and exposed. The security guard came running and says.. NO NO NO :nono5: pictures. I said ... why not? he said... cause that's a professional camera. :confused:

So I said... but i took a picture of the big screen? NOT of John Mayer himself. He just kept arguing. So then he left...and I just kept clicking! :biglaugh:

Another ala moment brought to you by YouTube!

Edited by A la prochaine

You all are JUST TOO much fun!!!!!!!!!!

Hey, Chatty, I got an email from Debbie and she is using some of my pictures for the hosp. newsletter. Is that cool or what??? The new photographer took a pic of Ardith and me, but I don't have any idea what will make the final cut.

Proceed !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:wave:

I can't seem to get enough of those subtle guitar licks ... those absence of notes drive me bonkers...

Ahhh -- like the Word -- I'm guessing, eh? ;)

Word -- sometimes what is NOT written is more important than what IS written.

Music -- sometimes what is NOT played is more important than what IS played.

Performers gotta *rightly divide* the strings, notes, licks,

and NOT play that which is most important!

Performers --- Ascertain yer audience.

*Note* which ones will Bb,

and which will C natural.

Play for the ones who will C#, and B#.

(pick over the latter crowd for future groupie *staff*).

:spy: