GreaseSpot Cafe

Guitar Talk

socks

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sr. Miller, Classical guitars are under lower string tension and are able thus to be braced much more lightly without compromising structural integrity. The payoff is responsiveness & much greater dynamic nuance and range. The caveat is you can't really bang on it with a heavy pick.

The bracing pictured is still somewhat unconventional for a classical. The normal fan braces are particularly light but are stiffened by the 3 horizontal braces. It should produce a particularly lively yet even sound.

Johnny, I should get it in 3-4 weeks. I ordered it in December. Actually, I visited Peter in his shop & picked out the specific timbers, binding, rosette, head carving and tuners. The rosette, though patterned after a Torres, is executed in mother of pearl and is a real stunner. That's what you call an "order".

CK----------About 2 years ago, a movie was released titled "Lightning In A Bottle".It is a live concert at Radio City Music Hall. One of the performances is Angelique Kidjo blasting her way through Voodoo Child with the help of Buddy Guy. The entire dvd is excellent but I thought this might interest you since you mentioned Voodoo Child and I know you will dig Buddy Guy. I don't know too much about getting this stuff on -line but it is available at the video rental places.

Cool, I'll check it out for rental. I'm iffy about downloads and safe is nice if an option.

Yeah, Rick has called a few times and doesn't say hello just starts singing this Buddy Guy song he made up about going to see him. We are pumped.

So when is our next free one, those are really nice. :)

Oh yeah, I sent for a year's subscription to that newspaper you gave me.

Edited by ChattyKathy

Socks,

Cool link ... i was a Steely junkie for manymanymany years.

I also loved the stuff that Donald Fagen put out in the 80's...jazz/funkie stuff!

OK... I haven't been back here for awhile... i apologize..cause I know how much everyone has missed me! (hahahhahahahahahhahah) :biglaugh:

But... I did go to the John Mayer concert.... will report later....

got some beautiful pictures...

and....

now....

I have just been given 2 free tickets to see a concert tomorrow night... in the gold section...next to the stage.

I can't tell you yet...cause I vowed to myself I'd tell chatty first.

But you can guess...

;)

Clapton should be great - please tell us about it! I'd love to see him - we had wanted to go see Beck a few weeks ago, but couldn't get a sitter. We never go out, but when we do, it's usually a concert. I've only had a couple that weren't great to go to - most were well worth the money and a very memorable event.... I've been getting into Clapton more lately, trying to learn some Cream songs - pretty intense bass, really.

The only thing I hate about almost all concerts we go to is that the guitarists usually change guitars through the show - some will do it a couple of times, but like when we saw the Eagles a couple of years ago, Joe Walsh changed guitars with every freakin' song...

Well, Hubby thinks that's just the coolest thing... he'd like to do that, he says... but I know that's his GAS illness talking...

A bit more about Steely Dan:

I think I just remembered why they were so popular in the south...

In one song they did, it was either called Crimson Tide or had a lyric about it - was it Deacon Blue? Man, my brain is cramping on this one...

Anyhow, I bet that's part of why I heard them more down there - ROLL TIDE!

Edited by ChasUFarley

Mr. Music Man,

How dare you put that link up of Steely Dan from Youtube... I 've been sitting here for hours!!! :(

That was most fascinating... I knew that Steeley Dan were strickly a studio musician band and therefore rarely if ever did went on tour.

So FINALLY I got to see them perform after all these years. :biglaugh:

Of course when Donald Fagen went on his own there were many more videod (how is that spelt and ... is it actually a word?) performances.

I think I wore out my Steely Dan and Donald Fagen albums. Gaucho I enjoyed...every song...and The Royal

Scam...what's not to like on that album

Fine fine fine musicians playing such interesting jazz progressions.

I would say that in the 80's they were definately my top 3 band/musician. Of course, I was limited in those days being such a good TWI :yawn1: and never listened to much .... I tried...yet so many Nazi leaders would ban certain music. <_< So I was a closet music junkie. :spy:

Oh by the way...

did I tell you...

I'm

going

to

see

Eric

Clapton

tonight.

:dance::biglaugh::dance::biglaugh::dance::biglaugh::dance::biglaugh::dance::biglaugh: