GreaseSpot Cafe

Guitar Talk

socks

I just got off the phone after talking to a friend of mine. It seems he has a guitar he is considering parting with. I thought perhaps someone here might have some insight on this particular instrument. It is a Spacetone and was made by a company called Microfret. Microfret was in Frederick Maryland and had a limited production for 4 or 5 years. I do not know the serial number and haven't looked at it for a couple of years. As I recall,it is a foam green sort of color done in a similar manner to a sunburst. I have never played it so I can't comment on that aspect at all. Also, it may at one time have been owned by Johnny Lee but that is speculation.

Any thoughts?

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow, I could do an afternoon of snow with you alright Chatty! Cold flake is hitting the higher altitudes in the Sierra's here too, think Tahoe's got some up top. :) Here in the lower regions of Sonoma County we're getting those foggy Fall nights that are perfect for a small fire in the place. The Boy and I grilled a couple sides of salmon about an hour ago and The Wife is doing something x-rated with some mashed potatoes and garlic. I think, smells good whatever it is. Potatoes rock!

That Sustainer/E Bow effect is awesome. It's as if the strings are "alive", they vibrate slightly. Once you get used to it it's sweet. Just a tad does amazing things.

I've used compression to the same effect but that changes the sound somewhat. E Bow just makes the note sustain.

Weirdest of all to an electricist - the Sustainer works without any amplification at all. No volume requred.

Xellent smells are being served, gotta go below for a taste-see. :dance:

:biglaugh: I've never heard mashed potatoes described like that, but they'll never be the same again. :biglaugh:

Yeah, that's the word sustains the sound.

You made salmon on the grill. Yum!

It's so fun thinking of you two enjoying your meal together. Sweet. :love3:

Forget sharing the snow here, you guys are where it's happening. :dance:

Wayside, :unsure: nope, I don't have any thoughts on that. But I bet someone here will. :)

Okay, I had to do some geeking around about these E Bow things... had no idea what y'all were talking about....

Course, Hubby knew - "Yeah, they're from the 70's...."

So, some time on Google lead me to this:

http://www.ebow.com/ebow/flash/home/home.htm

eboguit6.jpg

Then I find that REM, U2, Pear Jam, Queen, Frank Zappa, and many others have used this... Who'd da thunk...

(If you go on the website I linked, above, you can hear some samples.)

Cool. Very cool!

By the way - quick follow-up -

About that Ibanez Bass wiring diagram --- FOUND IT! I'd been looking for over a year and the dude on Ibanez Collectors were rather useless at the time... but Socks - your links were the trick! Many thanks!!!!

Socks --

My x-rated trick with taters is to cut them up in large pieces, coat 'em well with olive oil, fresh crushed garlic cloves, tomato paste, and Greek seasoning, then I roast them in the oven with a leg of lamb or pork - YUM! It can't be beat! (You'd swear this Welsh gal was Greek once you taste my Greek cooking - I do alright!)

Back to guitar effects --

Have y'all seen that WAG ring that's being used for effects - must be something like the e Bow... ??? It's in all the guitar mags now --- (great bathroom reading....)

And... to whoever posted that pic of Jimmy Page.... THANK YOU! (But my... it's getting warm in here....) :love3:

Ahh hmmm. waysider. :biglaugh: Circumstantial evidence notwithstanding, uh. Yeah. Damm right! Spacetone is a new one on me, but it looks good. I wonder how it plays? Sounds?

coat 'em well with olive oil, fresh crushed garlic cloves, tomato paste, and Greek seasoning, then I roast them in the oven with a leg of lamb or pork - YUM!

Hmmm hmmm! Those do sound maughty fahn Ma'am! Spuds - the Comforters are come! I'm glad to the gills you got your diag's for the Ibanez. That should be an interesting project. Earlier this year I bought a new soldering iron, a little battery operated one that's really light. I think it's a Black and Decker, and was only about 15 bucks. Get's just enough heat to do small wiring and works great. If you need a new one I'd recommend one like it. My old one's fine but gets so danged hot.

Is is rather nice here Chatty, we'd agree. Both the Boy and the Girl live pretty close. When more of my body worked predicatably we got into skiing, and the kids into snowboarding. They got pretty good at their choice, we're white-knuckle beginners still but really enjoy it. I need to pound out a few miles on the Treadmill and loosen up some and could probably get back to it. Probably will.

That salmon was a majestic animal in the water, I'm sure. It was given the proper respect due it's stature and consumed with thoughtful intensity. Dee-lish.

Edited by socks

I received the pics from Ala yesterday and later on will scan and post them. I am working with TOTW first to finish up our posting class. :wink2:

She is smart as a whip and already did the stuff I gave her yesterday to do like a pro.

But these pics are way cool IMHO. :wub:

OK that last post sounded obscene

"I'm talkin' 'bout GUITARS!"

"Shut your mouth!"

:wink2:

Pix? :)

Chas, the WAG is a new one for me, I checked their site and found some demos here -

WAG Demos Thanks for the heads up!

It's a unique concept. A board comment I read compared it to Danny's Theramin, as to how it controls the effects. It also connects to external devices of your choice that can be controlled with the finger ring. Pretty interesting!

I've got an old recording of a tune where I used small amounts of my Sustainer to get a pedal-steel sound. It's a little rumbly, and the effect is used subtly. A lot of the sample on the Fernandes site are of all-out distorto-thrashing, which doesn't really illustrate the range of what it can add in small doses. You can check it out here -

Caress...

Tell ya what these are just too good to shrink down so let me post two more at this size and that will probably make our little jumping frog and socks happy, I think others like this guy also but these two I know do!

Mayer3.jpg

Mayer4.jpg

And I'll do the Clapton ones smaller, but I'm working with TOTW also so I'm gonna wait on the Clapton's for now y'all.

Thanks Chatty my sweet friend!

You are a doll.

It was so fun taking these shots.

Enjoy.

OH mr. Miller,

This Thursday ... I'm off to see a friend of mine Mark Sullivan... play his sweet fiddle.

He is 3rd time Grand Master Canadian Fiddle Champion.

Can't wait.

Will take pics.

I promise.

: )

Edited by A la prochaine

Okay, I have to back away from this place for a few minutes but will figure out what I messed up in sizing. Although I know that Ala is sitting here just staring at them, and has been since they were posted I think. :wink2:

And I need to try to download Caress again as it didn't work the first time.

I swear I can't need new glasses. :(

Edited by ChattyKathy

I hate to say it but most of the pics of Eric Clapton are going to be for my joy only because they are too dark and distant to make out anything on a scan. Ala did an excellent job of the pics but she was working against lighting big time I can see. So these two hopefully will give you a flavor. And I kept them this size for the best clarity I could produce. Two of the finest musicians around IMHO...Eric Clapton and Bonnie Raitt!!!!!

EricClapton.jpgBonnieRaitt.jpg

Wow, Socks - that Caress tune is way cool!!!!!!!!!! That Sustainer effect gives the guitar that live-feedback sound.

Ala - great pictures - you're a pro!!!!!!!!!!

Chatty and Top thanks for the scan/post engineering department.

Man oh man!!!! GSC is chock full of talent!!!!!!!!!

Great photographs A la! Showed them to the Mom and she likes them! Good color, sharp. They're great. How do you get the focus when you're hopping around? :dance:

I like the pants - our son wears the same kind with the cargo pockets. All kinds of things go in there, looks like Mayer's got a few items - cell phone? Picks? Capos? A good book for the plane?

The EC and Bonnie photo is cool too. Very nice!

His website has gone through some upgrades in the last year too and it's definitely styling.

John Mayer dot com - all John all the time

His blog has some nice photos too. :biglaugh: Check it out for some full frontal humor.

Looking forward to more! Good yob, Chatty!

(glad the tune was enjoyed. I got another one around here somewhere with more of the feedbacky stuff on it)

Edited by socks

Dear Socks,

Well ... thank you very much for the picture compliment. Glad you and 'mom' enjoyed them.

I was very pleased with the way they turned out and it was a darn miracle that I was able to bring my camera in to the the Clapton Concert...that was amazing to say the least!

I keep going back to the page with the pictures and looking at them up here.. and I can't believe I actually took those photos.

It just blows my little photographic brains away!

Oh and to answer your question?

I hop THEN I shoot then hop some more! : )

I'll try to get some pictures for you Mr. Music ... no guarantee about the video...but might pick you up a CD... and get it signed... that's doable.

Edited by A la prochaine