GreaseSpot Cafe

Guitar Talk

socks

What amazes me the most -- on the Amazing Grace video ---

is his use of harmonics -------

(where do you find them - that low down on the neck???),

and his ability to add the bass line behind it all.

He's thinking two different things all at once.

And it comes out as a complete song.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mr. Miller,

Wowza... this Mr. Wooten... there are no words... yes the harmonics...and how he tunes the bass while he is playing...

jaw on floor....

Went to see Mark Sullivan tonight... you would have enjoyed his playing. He just seems to get better and better.

He can no longer compete at the Grand Master level now since he has won the title 3 times. And such a sweet kid (only 24). The whole evening was a tribute to Don Messer. A famous fiddler from Canada. He had a show on CBC every saturday night from 1948 - 1972. His show was a mix of fiddling, stepdancing, square dancing, celtic singing and highland dancing...but it had a flavour and it was certainly downhome.

anyhow... I will post asap.

These players though, Bella, Mr. Wooten...alll soooooo amazing.

Thanks for widening my musical arena.

Ok... I will post a song...chatty...where are you??? I need that refresher...soon.

Mr. Strange,

Have you caught up on your reading yet?

Welcome JChev.

I'm in awe! Total awe! I didn't want either clip to stop. I sent them to a friend of mine who is just learning bass, too, Chas. Can't wait to hear what he thinks. That's just facinating to watch and fascinating to listen to, but to have both?? Too incredible for words.

I wonder, Kathy, if he's self-taught. Aren't the self- taught folks more likely to "break convention" and try stuff that properly trained folk might not? That's how I learned some cool stuff on the databases I work on. The degreed programmers will tell me there isn't a way to do something I'm trying to do, but dang if I don't figure out some way to do it. :biglaugh: Crashed a few databases getting there, but by golly I prove 'em wrong. :thinking:

Cool dmiller! Yeah, Wooten's a wiz. VERy hot. He's pretty much self-taught from what I've read Chas.

There's natural harmonics that ring loudly on the 4th, 5th, 7th and 12 frets, and then repeat an octave

higher above the 12 fret. Artificial harmonics can be created by tapping any note 12 frets (an octave)

above itself on the same string and picking it. It can also be lightly slapped with the thumb typical of the

way bass players slap to get a harmonic. There's a lotta music in those strings!

(the pics ROCK by the way!!!)

Wow...

"(the pics ROCK by the way!!!)"

Socks liked my pics...weeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Chatty,

Could you try to lighten them once you've scanned them?

Such a happy day on guitar thread!! :dance:

Guitar thread is always such a happy place. :D :lol: :D :lol:

Warm and fuzzy musical thoughts come over me! :biglaugh:

:jump:

Edited by A la prochaine

Chas --- SLAPPING BASS now takes on a whole new meaning!!

:blink: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

Now I recall where I heard of him the most - Bela Fleck and the Flecktones tour around this way quite a bit - that's worth checkin' out!

For me, the bass player who really slaps is Flea (Red Hot Chilli Peppers) - I love his funk style...

But I was looking for a good clip to share, something that was really cool by Flea...

and I came across this...

He's a NOBODY - and the dude is amazing on bass - you gotta see this -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpshMTtgZ5k

Yes, they are very good to these eyes A la, though old they be, they still see! Chatty's done a fine job of getting them looking good. The lighting must have been a challenge, and it's quite an accomplishment to get something in a concert setting that looks as good as these. Y'done well! Kudos all around!

I've gotten some good ones over the years, and for every "good" one that I could do something with, there's always at least 10 I can't, it seems. Without the light to imprint on that that film, there's not much there to lighten and that may be what happened with yours. Digital is even more dicey, although I've been amazed at what I'm able to get at times. I miss 35 mm sometimes and still haul the stuff out now and then but I don't miss the hauling when I slip my little 6 megapixel digital in my pocket and stroll merrily along. :) You really did get some good ones, and they're going to be pretty timeless in a few years, y'know? Aaaah. Life is good.

I forgot - there's a repeat of those natural harmonics on the 9th fret - it repeats the 4th fret, which is a B 6/9, a B triad with a G# and a C#. Pretty nifty that, as it works in a some otherwise hard to apply keys, like E, A, and the relative minors of C#m and F#m and of course B. Wooten is a mastakillah though, I only use harmonics to embellish, he makes massive music with them. I really admire the dedication it takes to get those puppeez in line. It just takes time, hours and hours of going pling pling pling pong spoink, over and over and over. It's fun, in a very twisted way. :doh::biglaugh: And then it sounds so good!

Edited by socks

Oh yeah, Chas! That's some serious slap/snapping on that video! It's really cool coming here and finding all this stuff, thanks. A little light at the end of the tunnel, please, y'know? :)

I have a thing I've told my students over the years, and that is that right now somewhere in the back of a music store sitting on an amp, or in a bedroom sitting on the edge of his or her bed, there's a guy or girl playing the guitar that no one's every heard of, that's better than anything we've heard yet and that'll make you cry at the goodness, someone that's going to smoke everyone in their path. And real soon. Or not, they may never be heard widely enough to be known. But they're out there, doing their thing.

So, there's no point in getting down on ourselves for not being good enough - because we'll never be "THE Best" and there's no point in getting egotistical over how good we think we've become because we're never going to be "That Good" either.

I preach Ownership. When you practice, read, listen, learn, do the work, feel the pain and the struggle and know the glories of acheiving some small piece of real estate you've bled for - be happy. Because you OWN that stuff now, no matter that you're not the first to have it nor the last to get it. But it's yours and no one - nobody - can ever take that away from you. Some stuff is earned, some stuff is given. All of the stuff is ours to share proudly!

Chas --- I couldn't believe my earballs!!

(woops -- way-speak!!! CHANG! CHANG! CHANG!]

Sound the alarm!!

Someone send the BLESS Bass Patrol to clean up this portion of the thread!!! :biglaugh:

Seriously -- really great stuff!!

(speaking of musicianship ---)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDJMusqUHOI...ted&search=

Socks -- I think you nailed it right on the head. There's always someone out there that no one has ever heard of that hands down will blow (pardon the pun), the SOCKS off of anyone listening with their picking abilities. ;)

Lord knows I've run into that at fiddle contests. All the *greats* are there, and you are intimidated by seeing their name on the roster as a contestant. Then you go into a back room to run through your tunes and practice, and you hear the sweetest music coming from a room down the hall. You go to investigate which *great* is practicing, and you find a kid.

16 years old, 14 years old, I've seen em as young as 10 doing stuff better than I, and they've only been playing for a few years, versus my 30+ years. :(

There is always some one better. And as you said -- I'm glad to *own* my music.

As I get older, it's a comfortable feeling knowing I can do SOME stuff,

and will never be able to do ALL stuff.

Rocking chairs must've been invented for us to sit back, and listen to the new talent,

and enjoy what is coming down the pike ----

and think --- *Ahhhhhh -- to be young again, and know what I know now!!*

Edited by dmiller

Ok...

something right off in left field here.

was goofing around tonight on limewire... someone mentioned that they were listening to some Neil Young...Are You Passionate

I started to download some stuff of his I didn't have...such as the one above and others...

I stumbled across this one:

When God Made Me

Was he thinkin' about my country

Or the color of my skin?

Was he thinkin' 'bout my religion

And the way I worshipped him?

Did he create just me in his image

Or every living thing?

When God made me

When God made me

Was he planning only for believers

Or for those who just have faith?

Did he envision all the wars

That were fought in his name?

Did he say there was only one way

To be close to him?

When God made me

When God made me

Did he give me the gift of love

To say who I could choose?

When God made me

When God made me

When God made me

When God made me

Did he give me the gift of voice

So some could silence me?

Did he give me the gift of vision

Not knowing what I might see?

Did he give me the gift of compassion

To help my fellow man?

When God made me

When God made me

When God made me

When God made me

Have a sweet sleep everyone...

Bonne Nuit

Edited by A la prochaine

I"m with ya dmiller. I lived a lot of life between the ages of 13 and 18. And that was just for starters. There's several guitarists I heard around Northern California that I have no idea whatever happened to them but they were exceptional for their day.

I remember one guy - Steve H###erman, who was a great 50's style guitarist, played a Strat and played around the SF Bay Area for several years and was 'the man to beat' on rock guitar, a prodigy of sorts, couple years older than me. Right in the middle of the 60s he got in trouble and went away for about a year, as they say. During that time, Hendrix came out with Electric Ladyland and the whole music scene was in the throes of a major shift. He'd been a pretty straight-up pop rock style guitarist, playing speed scales that were uncommon for the time.

So then he comes out and was holed up in Alameda, pretty much out of the flow. Some friends and I went down to a place where he was staying, out by the water where various musicians would come through to jam. (Steve Miller's original drummer Tim Davis came through now and again I remember) Off in the back by the bay windows is a sleeping bag and a turntable, and a few albums and Steve's standing there with a new guitar, a Les Paul and he's playing around with Hendrix's "All Along the Watchtower" and doing one round after another of variations on the rhtyhm and lead tracks, over and over. It was moderately amazing, as his style when he left was completely different, solid body Strat stuff. Here he was catching up and the sound and tone he had playing through his Fender Twin is one I still remember, completely clean and clear Gibson liguid tone, just beautiful.

He played with another band for awhile, "Littlejohn", that got some coverage, but after awhile I lost track of him. There's a lot of players out there like that - burners in their day. So we can only imagine what's "out there' now!

Sorry guys and gals...didn't mean to get all 'spiritual' on ya!

Sigh...

I do love Neil Young's 'grungie' sound though.

Aside all that, I am posting here for Chatty. She sent me an email this morning saying she could not get onto GSC earlier and would be out all day but that she wanted to let you all know that she was going to post the other Clapton pictures this evening.

: )

Claptone! Yae!

Well, boy how-dee. Spent an hour wandering around the local music store. Best part of a quiet period in this store is that all the young clerk-iers that work there cluster around the front register and do the Kid-Shuffle. It's immediately recognizable, takes no space to speak of. Hands in pockets, every 2 and 1/2 minutes the legs shift and the hands go in and out of the pockets, followed by a carefully careless brush back of the hair around the ears. There's a young girl working there now too, so there's that going on. 4 guys, one girl. I absorbed this energy for a couple minutes and started laughing, couldn't help it. I told them "okay - this looks like trouble waiting to happen here...." and they all did the Hunch-Nod-Grin Response of Affirmation and laughed too. Yup - unsupervised and in a store full of amps and guitars...."And lo the spirit moved across the waters, brooding...."

I used to get a discount in the store, from the owner if he's there and he seldom is, or one of two salespeeps who were about my age and had worked there forever. Never any question, they'd just ring up a deal and it was all very gentleman like. Now, they don't unless they bring up my account. If your account in the system requires scrolling to get to the last transaction I think that triggers a small discount or something, but there's no rhyrme or reason to it now that I can perceive and they don't always do that, so it's usually sticker price for me now. Aaaaah. For the good ol' days'. But still, it's a fun store.

Saw a Collins acoustic there today, very nice full sounding guitar, a brown Tobacco sunburst, very Gibsonish. Sounded great. Picks, some knobs, is about all I bought. Looking for a new floor pedal tuner, may buy a Korg

DT-!0 online, tried one today and it seemed accurate, pretty durable looking.

(Got a flu shot too. Pop goes the needle)

* sniff snort snarkle *

Edited by socks

No NO NO NO... don't delete.... :o

You posted Keb Mo' and Robert Cray!

YEEHAHHHH

KEB MO'

What a wonderful sweet soul of a man!!! He was so wonderful... and he and Bonnie...such a delight to see play together. They really love and respect each other. It ooozed off the stage!!!

He must have played at least 10 different guitars that night...one after another. Switched almost every song.

And his deep, rich tonal voice...oh so soothing and commanding all at once.

And... the guitar playing... my oh my. Smooth as molasses!

ROBERT CRAY

What an accomplished musician he is. Heart and soul and blues...that's what he's all about. He's right there in the moment...playing his guts out on stage. He came out at the end and played a couple of songs with Eric as well as started the encore for Eric... Cocaine.

OK...that's it. I can't describe it like Socks would... but that was the feel I left with that night in Montreal.

Thanks Thanks Thanks Chatty for all the effort you put into posting these.

: )

Edited by A la prochaine

OK...I'm trying something here... hope to God it works...

Just finished watching this Diana Krall video. The first tune... has this amazing guitar solo... for you guitar junkies, I think you will enjoy.

The second song... is a Nat King Cole song. She is a bit outta breath ... she's pregnant with twins right now.

:D

Poop... it didn't work...

But I'm gonna post this one... from You Tube... the guitar work is just as rich...

Diana Krall - Cry Me A River <---- Why is this happening? I copy and pasted the link... and suddenly I get this page of computer jibber that I can barely read, let alone understand?

sigh...

Edited by A la prochaine

Not sur there kiddo - Try this one.........

oh - when you copied the url in , the GS window already has an http in it - your new url added on to the end of it so it's reading http://http:// = browser's confused. No biggie.

Nice tune! Listening to it now. :)

Again, more nice pics! Clapton looks healthy, having a good time. He's filled out a bit, looks good. Great photos!

Edited by socks

Geese Spotter Guitarists and friends - g'day!

Site I like to plug now and again - Truefire dot com

This site has a lot of good information for guitarists. Worth browsing. The core of the site is the download section. Lesson material of all kinds can be downloaded, very inexpensively, some of it's free. A lot of the downloads are about a buck or so, pretty reasonable.

All of the downloads have previews you can check out on what's in each lesson. There's also usually some kind of music or tab that goes with the lessons too. Lots of different musicians contribute, Andy Ellis of Guitar Player magazine is one I check out a lot. There's a lot of Musician's Institute contributors too, making it current and musically sound. There's a nice blend of stuff.

You can register and set up an account and it's all pretty easy to do. There's also a site program "university" they have but you don't have to sign up for that to just be a member and use the site, or just browse it and preview, for that matter. You can also self-publish to the site if you have material you'd like to put up. New stuff gets added to all the categories pretty regularly, so it's a good place to check out as well as to consider making a contribution. They've got a page covering how to submit pieces.