Guitar Talk

socks

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You tube can be a very dangerous place...

David,

ONE question for you?

So people dance like this --->

when you play?

The music isn't that great on this one... but the dancing... is polished...very polished

. This is a huge Fiddle/Stepdance Competion in Pembroke, Ontario each year.

And the dance is over 4 minutes... and done all on their tippy toes... yikes

I just got my copy of BLUES REVUE and thought this might be of some interest.

They are having a free drawing to give away an autographed Buddy Guy Strat.

You can enter online at www.bluesrevue.com.

Scroll down to the picture of Johnny Lang and click.

The odds are probably somewhere in outer space but it's free and somebody has to win.

FenderGuitar.jpg

STRUM THE STRINGS WITH YOUR CURSOR AND CLICK. REGISTRATION FORM IS THERE.

The odds are probably somewhere in outer space but it's free and somebody has to win.

Alas --- it isn't FIRE ENGINE RED, plus there's strings attached. (sniff!) :(

(Just curious -- where would his signature show up on a black guitar??)

:unsure:

But for free?? Yea!

:dance:

Edited by dmiller

Hey Chatty, yes, Ted Greene could be difficult to watch, but his music is exquisite, IMO. His touch is initmate, fully engaged with the instrument. The Guild he's playing looks like a Guild Manhattan, not sure. I'm checking around on it. It has a nice sound with his "finger style" technique.

I copied these videos to study over time. I've got several of Greene's books, from the 70's, and revisit them for study. He filled his instructional books with so much material and examples you could take a small piece of a part in a chapter and learn and use it musically, which really says it all as to how I view him, he was uniquely in love with music.

Greene was reclusive to be sure and it shows when he'd perform, never comfortable in front of an audiience. (I never saw him live but have heard about performances from several people). The movement of his hands and fingers reminds me of a Segovia, who had big hands and fingers and often didn't appear as elegant as the music he played. Johnny Smith, another, slump shouldered and hunkered over the guitar.

I love how he renders the little counter melody on the last part of the verse to the Mendelssohn piece, against the "Hark the Herald" lyrics, it's the last 4 lines. He gets movement and again, his execution is so natural sounding the music lays out over any awareness of the execution, which is visible watching him play it. Greene ends it with a nice little figure of Americana, with just a hint of an American blues sound, which I think adds a poignant air to the song, bringing it home.

Went to see Amos last night....

OH MY!!! what a night.. even the 15 yr old kept saying... Man, that was a GOOD concert!!!

She also said, "I was looking for one bad note... there weren't any!"

Funny little fickle thing she is with a very impeccable ear.

The musician who opened for him was a trumpet player called Christian Scott. His debut album that came out earlier this year was tawted as one of the best premiere albums in 10 yrs according to some big music magazine ... (just can't remember the name of it right now .. not Rolling Stones... but some other name I am familiar with, just can't remember ...sheeshhhh old age!).

I met him and his band members... after the show. 4 guys all Berkeley Graduates and his guitarist is unbelievable... a Toronto boy.

Check out : Christian Scott

Now Amos Lee,

His performance was flawless. And every song was delivered with such heart and soul! Many, Many, Many songs were interrupted with loud applauds and hoots and hollers as he would reach a certain point in the song were the audience anticipated a great note or a moving part of the song!!! From Blues, to Ballads, R&B, to Funk, to just plain ballads...he executed it all with such finness and tenderness.

A wonderful night was had by all!!! Everyone who I spoke to said.. AMAZING!!!

After the show he was in the lobby for signing and I got to meet him again. He remember me from last year in Vancouver and we chatted a bit. I gave him a little gift of a picture I had taken for the Shores of Lake Huron. Thought it would be appropriate being that he is an American and would be able to have a little gift from Canadia to take back with him.

A magnificient night was had by all!!!!!!!!! I got a few good pics too. Him and my daughter for one! Very sweet.

OK... I think this red head has had way too much excitement for one month! :blink:

Found this ---> on you tube!

That's the one. :) It's got an hour left. I like it - the price was 460.00 yesterday and going up now. I wrote the seller and he doesn't have a year of manufacture. It's fairly recent though, since 1999. The made in Corona/Fender's factory refers to Guild being bought by Fender and them making them in their factory now. So, he's right in the eBay reference, that these will be the collectibles of the future, but only because that's where they're being made now, sort of a gimme really.

My interest isn't the vintage status as much as the sound - they're full sounding guitars, well made from what I've read, and have a slightly slimmer neck than most. I was hoping it would stay closer to the 500.00 buck range though and I might just slip on in at the end and give it a nudge. :)

Edited by socks