Guitar Talk

socks

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's good stuff. Jorma is an interesting player. Of the S.F. history of eclectic players he's stayed consistent and seems genuine.

Well, got my tuner but ended up buying the Boss Chromatic. Got it for the same price as the Korg, and it was more spensive, so the buy was good. I found it to be a little more durable, at least that's the hope.

Socks -- is this what you got???

TU-2.jpg

I LOVE THE DESCRIPTION ---

The TU-2 Chromatic Tuner incorporates BOSS' world renowned TU-Series tuner technology into an ultra-convenient stompbox design. For the first time ever, guitarists and bassists can now tune their instruments with BOSS accuracy with just a single stomp.

STOMP!!

There -- all six strings should be in tune now!!

:biglaugh:

I'm sure the Seikos have swank-factor to burn!

That's it dmiller. It's stomp proof, alright. Is stomp another from of "stamp" I wonder? I've heard of stampedes, but never stompedes. Hmmm. Maybe stompede is British for stampede. Hmmm.

"Stomp boxes" have really proliferated. (I'm stuck on that word, it's just so - so usable!) There's a stomp box for everything, I'm sure there's one that will get the sound of a fly screaming it's last will and testament as it plunges to the earth, propelled by a plastic flyswatter. With settings for "newspaper" and adjustments for mulitple flies and even bees. Wouldn't surprise me.

chatty, what kind is it? I looked at the kind that clamps on the guitar headstock which actually looked to be pretty accurate and troublefree.

Edited by socks

Thank you -

Knopfler's song is riddled with ghost stories and myths - great song. The song has a very Scottish feel to it - the guitar sounds sort of like bag pipes in places -

Anyone remember the 80's group Big Country? Yeah, that sorta feel. Loud, patriotic, spiritual - all good things.

The thing I like best about Knopfler isn't his hits - it's his un-released stuff. I've had enough of "(I Want My MTV) Money For Nothing" for a lifetime, thank you. Gimme the "b-side" stuff - it's usually deeper and certainly more interesting.

Here's a clip from a documentary where Knopfler is interviewed about his interest in Scottish music - if you're into the Chieftans, etc., you'll like this.

I love Knopfler's tone - if I played guitar, he is who I would model myself after and his equipment is what I would want - it's rich as fudge and warm like wool - comfort items.

And if you've got another 5 mins. - please take a listen to this - it's absolutely everything that is good about music in one song.

---------------------

Now, Matthews... I loved him when he first came out, but he got played to death. Yeah, The Dave Mathhews Band was very fresh - a new flavor of jam-bands in a boy-band era. I've always respected him music, but kept away from the commercial stuff.

The thing I love about "Gravedigger" is that I love walking thru cemetaries. They're supposed to be a place for the living, too - not just the dead. We have some great ones in my area and some very old ones - going back to the mid 1600's - those are in Portsmouth, NH. Anyhow, you'll find a lot of family plots, etc. - my family even has it's own, which goes back to 1720 - I'm as native as they come.

But Matthew's song could have been written by anyone taking that sorta walk. It's bittersweet and the mode that it's in lends itself so well to mortality. It's not like anything I'd heard before - some may consider it morbid... nah... that's life.

Anyhow .... I hope I didn't bore you - just some thoughts to add to the Guitar Thread...

My work place blocks YouTube but I'll check it out tonight. And I agree about Mark's stuff. Often I love the songs on his CD's that didn't make it big much better. But I tell ya what the version of Romeo and Juliet from their Sultan's CD is enough to make you go out of your mind when at the closing he goes "you and me babe how 'bout it" and plays that guitar, good lord it should be rated I tell ya! :wink2:

Chas...

Just finished watching your first clip...

DUH...don't I feel like the BOZO!!!

First... Mark is Scottish...oh my...that's what makes this sound of his what it is...it's his influence from in the womb you could say!

Secondly...he wrote the film score for Local Hero...One of maybe my 5 all-time favourite movies...I even downloaded the film score one time and copied it for a friend. Didn't even look into who had done it...DUH AGAIN!!!

the moment I heard him play and this celtic sound came out...I thought... OH MY... Local Hero...it's him!!!

So excited now!!!

(I know doesn't take much these days)

sigh...

i think i got you beat chatty on this top of the page thingy :(

Edited by A la prochaine

You've not seen the Red Violin...???

This is one of my favourite movies... (and not because of this section) but it's a great and wonderful story and a famous Canadian did all the violin parts in this movie...

Joshua Bell...

: )

oh...

I wanted to post this a while back...

these ladies I saw in September...

ONE OF THE GREATEST CONCERTS EVER!!!! and considering I saw John Mayer and Eric Clapton in the same month....

this video really does not do them justice I feel... nothing like LIVE!!!

Enjoy

Edited by A la prochaine

Chas -- thanks for the Knopfler link :) :)

When I clicked on it, I saw a clip mentioning him and EmmyLou Harris.

That reminded me of a DYNO-MITE version of Luxery Liner that Emmy Lou once did,

with one of my favourite fiddlers of all time -- Sam Bush.

In that clip -- you see a fiddler totally in tune with his instrument.

Searched -- and lo and behold ~~~~~~~~~

I FOUND IT!!!

There is an awesome bass duel in here. Check, check, check it out!! ;)