GreaseSpot Cafe

What are your beliefs currently? (Poll)

markomalley

To Which Teachings Do You Subscribe?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Describe Yourself as a (Pick the CLOSEST...may not perfectly describe your beliefs)

• Christian: Protestant (Lutheran or Related)
    • Christian: Protestant (Presbyterian or Related)
    • Christian: Protestant (Baptist or Related)
    • Christian: Protestant (Episcopal, Methodist, Nazarene, etc.)
    • Christian: Protestant (Pentacostal, Assemblies of God, Foursquare, Holiness, etc.)
    • Christian: Protestant (Other, can't fit in one of the above groups)
    • Christian: Latter Days Saints (including Reformed and Fundamental)
    • Christian: Jehovah's Witnesses
    • Christian: Catholic (Latin or Eastern in Communion with Rome)
    • Christian: Orthodox (Greek, Russian, Antiochan, Coptic -- not in communion with Rome)
    • Christian: Messianic
    • Jewish (Conservative, Orthodox, Reformed)
    • Muslim (Shi'a, Sunni, etc.)
    • Eastern Religion (Buddhist, Hindu, Taoist, etc.)
    • Unitarian-Universalist
    • Neo-Pagan and Related (including Celtic and Wiccan)
    • Satanist
    • Agnostic
    • Atheist
    • Other (please describe in a post)
  2. 2. Jesus Christ was (please select the CLOSEST)

• the son of God, but not God
    • the second person of the Blessed Trinity
    • God
    • a good man
    • a prophet
    • a character in a fable
    • a radical religious cult leader
    • an evil revolutionary who needed to be killed
  3. 3. I believe the following about speaking in tongues and other manifestations of the spirit (again the CLOSEST)

• I believe that VPW had it spot on
    • I believe in them, but VPW had it wrong
    • I believe that genuine manifestations were there at the time of the apostles, but no more...we were defrauded with them
    • I believe that it was all a bunch of bunk and never existed -- we were just brainwashed
    • Other (please describe)
  4. 4. I believe the following about the dead's status: (again the CLOSEST)

• Soul sleep until the resurrection.
    • Souls are in heaven, hell, etc. upon the moment of death. The resurrection applies to the body, only.
    • Reincarnation.
    • When you're dead, you're dead. Ya ain't getting back up out of the grave...ever.
    • Other belief not described above (please describe)
    • I just simply don't know
  5. 5. I worship/ fellowship/ etc. primarily in the following format (please pick the CLOSEST)

• In a home-based fellowship
    • By myself/ with my family only
    • In a building constructed or leased specifically for that purpose
    • Outdoors
    • Other
    • Worship? Worship What????

My current belief boils down to endeavor to love God and love my neighbor.....and everything else seems to fall into place. Beyond that I don`t know and don`t really care any more...None of it makes any difference in what my responsibility is here and now.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mark, under sub-catergory of Christian Protestant for Episcopalians/Anglicans, you also list United Methodist and Nazerene, which should have been listed as Wesleyan and been a seperate catergory instead of being linked with Episcopal(although John and Charles remained Anglican priests for life). Check out my topic on Denominations whcih line them up according to families. Have a blessed Ash Wednesday and Lenten season,bro.

Thanks.

There were only 20 options, so I had to do some condensing that I wouldn't have preferred.

Groucho,

Works for me!

Rascal,

I wish more so-called Christians had your attitude!

Mark

As I said, I still believe a lot of Way stuff/doctrine and I think that the one that is doing the best job for God is John Lynn and friends. But I am evaluating a lot of doctrinal things. In some topic for example the law of believing I have problems. :)

Mark

As I said, I still believe a lot of Way stuff/doctrine and I think that the one that is doing the best job for God is John Lynn and friends. But I am evaluating a lot of doctrinal things. In some topic for example the law of believing I have problems. :)

Mex I have found since I found WayDale 6 years ago. A lot of what we were taught just has big holes in it. Like you said the law of believing and the way it was taught. It was easier when I left and knew know one that was out or in for that fact. For 14 years I held on to the teachings because I still was way brained and really thought I had to because I thought the words spoken by twi were true.

6 years now after finding WD and GSC being a somewhat active member I am finding out it is ok to think for yourself and God is not going to let you or your family get run over because of my believing.

Thank you Justloafing. I am not the same person since I started reading the GSC with detail. On daily bases. I understand different new things but some times you need a lot of time to get over all that had happened. :mellow:

Yes Mex, It may take akong time to get over things but you will hold on to what is true. True in your life in my opinion will happen over and over. You will also find at times things that you still think is true will be disproved. Just never fear in yourself. Whatever you find in lifes journey you will find out whatever you do to find the truth out what is true. I think I know you well enough through your posts that you do have an open heart to God to allow him to work in your heart. Just give it time.

Edited by justloafing

In a meeting with the community care pastor of my Methodist church, he asked me point blank: "Why haven't you ever become a member of this church, after 5 years of volunteering?"

Moi: "I like to consider myself a free-lance Chrisitan."

Pastor: "Works for me."

Yeah, chef.

It was actually pretty cool. I knew some of the "volunteers" I work with were wonderin about my lack of membership. And he felt comfortable enough ( and knew I'd be comfortable enough) to ask me in an open meeting. And then put everybody's gripes to rest.

I love people who "get it." :love3:

QUOTE(sudossuda @ Mar 4 2006, 01:22 AM) *

I believe in all nine manifestions and got a great foundation of understanding them through VPW.

:asdf::evildenk::beer::evildenk:

Well -- fer what it's worth, I agree with Sudossuda 100%. I also believe in all nine, and I learned it from docvic.

Now -- if you (any and all) want to *rip* me a new one, have at it, and do so cheerfully. icon_rolleyes.gif

I learned about the manifestations from docvic. Granted --- he stole the ideas from others, but the fact remains that I heard him first, and NOT the others he took the ideas from.

So -- if he stole the ideas from others, DOES THAT NEGATE THE TRUTH?????

In a word --- NO.

And while you are at it, don't call me a docvic *apologist*, because I am not.

I speak in tongues a lot, and am grateful for the ability to do so. I was *taught* how to do so by charismatic catholics, but learned the benefits of it from pfal, and docvic.

Short story here.

I used to go to a Weslyan (sp?) church, while beginning my twi *experience* back in the 1970's. There was one old guy there who had always wanted to speak in tongues, but was convinced that it was a *gift*, and didn't know if he had the gift, or not. He prayed for the *gift* in his earnest desire to please God.

Once I shared with him the fact that tongues was a *manifestation*, he saw the light, and did it. He was a blessed man after that, realizing what docvic taught without ever knowing about docvic, not caring about docvic, but knowing the truth that I learned from docvic (stolen from others), and shared with him to the end that he manifested.

He realized *His Life's Dream*. Docvic was a part of that, through me.

If anyone here wants to *slam* docvic, that's one thing.

Just don't slam the Word.

If you do --- yer up the creek, without a paddle. (Just my IMO)

B) B)

I can appreciate where all of you are coming from... as for me... I've grown, over time, to treat anything I heard from veepee as suspect... that's just me...

And I can understand that, Tom. Matter of fact, it's something I would hope all could do as well. Healthy scepticism is a good thing to have, and properly applied it frees us from the baloney and bogus things we were taught way back when.

I will defend that which I have found to be true in my life,

but ONLY because I have found it to be true.

NOT just because someone else said it was true.

To each their own --- as it should be. :)

Edited by dmiller

The closest definition as to what I believe is Deism.

From Deist.info -- "Deists are people that have concluded that there is a God, through their own reasoning, experiences and studies. Deists have come to believe that none of the revealed religions are or can be correct. That God communicates to us through nature and not though men’s words. Deists believe that through careful reasoning that humans can develop better lives and higher morality than they could by trying to follow what any ancient book may teach.

As many Deists believe that we are living a higher morality simply by helping others when we can, that Deists don't need holy books or "authorities" telling us how to do so. Deists believe that by leaving superstition behind and using valid reasoning, we can have a better world. Which is what most Deists believe is what God wants for us."

I came to the above conclusion before I knew that there was a belief called "Deism. No one "witnessed" to me about it. "The Age of Reason" - written over 200 years ago by Thomas Paine - is an amazing document (click here), and it confirmed that I was not alone in this belief and it wasn't some kind of "new age" idea or cult.

It has helped me realize so much of what I was taught for 29 years in TWI was wrong.

I may change my beliefs again in the future, but I doubt it. As for now, to quote Mr. Paine:

I believe in one God, and no more; and I hope for happiness beyond this life.
Edited by Hope R.

Who besides me are the other 3 Lutherans that responded to the poll? You can email me or send a private message.Just curious, that's all.

Who besides me are the other 3 Lutherans that responded to the poll? You can email me or send a private message.Just curious, that's all.

What is a Lutheran??

a person who follows Martin Luther

Is the lutheran church getting closer to the catholic church

and if so what did Luther do

ck

ck, the question was related to other people who responded to poll listing their denominational preference as individuals, not what is a Lutheran. I should know being the son of a deceased Lutheran pastor and presently serving a Lutheran church as an organist/musician. Recently, Augsburg/Fortress Press released the Lutheran Handbook(with a winking Martin Luther showing that humor and serious information, side by side) and the new Lutheran Course with video and workbook, free of cost to those interested, coming out of congregational budget. Will TWI offer its new class free of charge, even if everyone drops out? Also check out my topic on denominations and books I suggested in that forum.

Hello Paw, are you awake? The last post has been here for over 2 days, or do I need to play Beautiful Ohio over the PA sound system?

Excuse me, I meant Rhapsody/Real Play, I-tunes, or Windows Media Player at 2:37 AM in rembrance of ROA.

• 3 weeks later...

This is not the state song of Ohio, but works for me. Beautiful dreamer, wake unto me(Stephen Foster). :offtopic: