GreaseSpot Cafe

What are your beliefs currently? (Poll)

markomalley

To Which Teachings Do You Subscribe?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Describe Yourself as a (Pick the CLOSEST...may not perfectly describe your beliefs)

• Christian: Protestant (Lutheran or Related)
    • Christian: Protestant (Presbyterian or Related)
    • Christian: Protestant (Baptist or Related)
    • Christian: Protestant (Episcopal, Methodist, Nazarene, etc.)
    • Christian: Protestant (Pentacostal, Assemblies of God, Foursquare, Holiness, etc.)
    • Christian: Protestant (Other, can't fit in one of the above groups)
    • Christian: Latter Days Saints (including Reformed and Fundamental)
    • Christian: Jehovah's Witnesses
    • Christian: Catholic (Latin or Eastern in Communion with Rome)
    • Christian: Orthodox (Greek, Russian, Antiochan, Coptic -- not in communion with Rome)
    • Christian: Messianic
    • Jewish (Conservative, Orthodox, Reformed)
    • Muslim (Shi'a, Sunni, etc.)
    • Eastern Religion (Buddhist, Hindu, Taoist, etc.)
    • Unitarian-Universalist
    • Neo-Pagan and Related (including Celtic and Wiccan)
    • Satanist
    • Agnostic
    • Atheist
    • Other (please describe in a post)
  2. 2. Jesus Christ was (please select the CLOSEST)

• the son of God, but not God
    • the second person of the Blessed Trinity
    • God
    • a good man
    • a prophet
    • a character in a fable
    • a radical religious cult leader
    • an evil revolutionary who needed to be killed
  3. 3. I believe the following about speaking in tongues and other manifestations of the spirit (again the CLOSEST)

• I believe that VPW had it spot on
    • I believe in them, but VPW had it wrong
    • I believe that genuine manifestations were there at the time of the apostles, but no more...we were defrauded with them
    • I believe that it was all a bunch of bunk and never existed -- we were just brainwashed
    • Other (please describe)
  4. 4. I believe the following about the dead's status: (again the CLOSEST)

• Soul sleep until the resurrection.
    • Souls are in heaven, hell, etc. upon the moment of death. The resurrection applies to the body, only.
    • Reincarnation.
    • When you're dead, you're dead. Ya ain't getting back up out of the grave...ever.
    • Other belief not described above (please describe)
    • I just simply don't know
  5. 5. I worship/ fellowship/ etc. primarily in the following format (please pick the CLOSEST)

• In a home-based fellowship
    • By myself/ with my family only
    • In a building constructed or leased specifically for that purpose
    • Outdoors
    • Other
    • Worship? Worship What????

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only one I voted for was the Son of God not God. All the others were other or do not know.

I have walked away from religion after twi but still believe in God and love him with all of my heart and still pray to God. TWI just ruined any type of religion for me but who knows that could change but it has been 19 years since I have left twi.

Let me add my responses:

I consider myself a non-practicing Christian and I don't adhere to any sect or denomination in particular.

I do believe in God, but I don't believe Jesus to be God as I believe he's the Son of God.

I believe that SIT is nothing but CRAP.

I don't know what happen to the dead.

I don't go to any Church, Worship Center nor do I hang out and worship like I said I am non-practicing Christian.

In other words, I grew up with the Christian beliefs (even before joining TWI), but I don't totally practice them as more than anything else, I am a human being and I make mistakes. Just because I make mistakes and I am not practicing my faith as much, does that mean God is gonna love us less???

On the question of the ressurrection, I don't believe in last time physical bodily ressurection, but believe that spiritual ressurection occurs upon death(body will simply decay and never be raised). In other words, upon death I will automatically be raised to new life in Christ Jesus and go directly to heaven for all eternity. As for manifestations, I think BGLeonard got it right, not Wierwille, and while I do not require that others agree with me, I do all 9 but not all the time 24/7/12. But that's just me.

Edited by Thomas Loy Bumgarner

Purty hard question MarkO.

Let's just say that my searching days are over. I live a good life, love my family and my work and try to do the right thing. I don't go to church, and I don't worry about the Trinity, 4 crucified or whether or not Eve had a bellybutton.

My only reservation with your questions was "we were just brainwashed." I do believe that it was bunk, but I don't think that I was brainwashed. I think I actually knew that it was bunk all along, but I wanted it to be true and played a big game of make believe for several years.

Thanks, folks, for your answers.

So it appears that there are a wide variety of religious beliefs going on here.

I was curious how many people still subscribed to TWI-like beliefs:

apparently 26 still subscribe to the Son of God but not God belief for Christ. Only 10 have tossed the whole thing.

apprently 9 still subscribe to TWI beliefs on spiritual manifestations.

and 16 still subscribe to the soul-sleep belief of TWI.

And only 9 do the twig or twig-like thing.

Thanks! (Now back to the Wierwillite thread)

I think offering a distinction between Jesus being “the second person of the Blessed Trinity” and Jesus being “God” makes for something quite misleading.

I opted for the "second person of the Blessed Trinity” alternative rather than the “God” alternative to avoid the modalistic implications of the latter caused by its being played as something distinct from the former.

I wish now that I had not participated in this poll.

Jesus is fully God AND God is tripersonal rather than unipersonal.

I think the London Baptist Confession of 1689 put it rather well, confessing "Of God and the Holy Trinity":

“In this divine and infinite Being there are three subsistences, the Father, the Word or Son, and Holy Spirit, of one substance, power, and eternity, each having the whole divine essence, yet the essence undivided: the Father is of none, neither begotten nor proceeding; the Son is eternally begotten of the Father; the Holy Spirit proceeding from the Father and the Son; all infinite, without beginning, therefore but one God, who is not to be divided in nature and being, but distinguished by several peculiar relative properties and personal relations; which doctrine of the Trinity is the foundation of all our communion with God, and comfortable dependence on him.”

(Copied and pasted from http://www.vor.org/truth/1689/1689bc02.html )

Edited by Cynic

I think offering a distinction between Jesus being “the second person of the Blessed Trinity” and Jesus being “God” makes for something quite misleading.

There is a difference between the two doctrines, as you know.

I opted for the "second person of the Blessed Trinity” alternative rather than the “God” alternative to avoid the modalistic implications of the latter caused by its being played as something distinct from the former.
Exactly.
I wish now that I had not participated in this poll.

Sorry you feel that way.

Jesus is fully God AND God is tripersonal rather than unipersonal.

I think the London Baptist Confession of 1689 put it rather well, confessing "Of God and the Holy Trinity":

“In this divine and infinite Being there are three subsistences, the Father, the Word or Son, and Holy Spirit, of one substance, power, and eternity, each having the whole divine essence, yet the essence undivided: the Father is of none, neither begotten nor proceeding; the Son is eternally begotten of the Father; the Holy Spirit proceeding from the Father and the Son; all infinite, without beginning, therefore but one God, who is not to be divided in nature and being, but distinguished by several peculiar relative properties and personal relations; which doctrine of the Trinity is the foundation of all our communion with God, and comfortable dependence on him.”

(Copied and pasted from http://www.vor.org/truth/1689/1689bc02.html )

The above is an accurate representation of what western Christianity confesses in regard to the Blessed Trinity. But I am curious, though, to hear your opinion of the original Creed of Constantinople-Nicea versus the changes initially inserted by the Synod of Toledo in 589? Do you think that reverting to the original Creed would fundamentally change western pneumatology?

Mark, under sub-catergory of Christian Protestant for Episcopalians/Anglicans, you also list United Methodist and Nazerene, which should have been listed as Wesleyan and been a seperate catergory instead of being linked with Episcopal(although John and Charles remained Anglican priests for life). Check out my topic on Denominations whcih line them up according to families. Have a blessed Ash Wednesday and Lenten season,bro.

Edited by Thomas Loy Bumgarner