GreaseSpot Cafe

Proud to be Way Corps

TheHighWay

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jonny - You come here because a lot of us here begged you to return.... :B) :beer: ( and besides - you know you love us :biglaugh: )

I teach homeschoolers. I work in two schools that are run in Churches that allow homeschoolers to take classes that parents don't feel comfortable teaching - I teach drawing.

Now, I am proud of my time in the corps. It was an accomplishment. It certainly wasn't easy. I learned how to finish a job and stay honest at work. I met some great people - like ex10 and Jonny - and Al - I met you while I was in Houston in the early '80's.

I DON'T tell folks that I was in the Corps. ( It really doesnt' mean anything to them.) Sometimes I tell them that I was in a Christian leadership training program. Sometimes, in private and with people I trust, I tell them that in "another life" I was in TWI. Then I go on to to say that I learned some sound research principles mixed in with a lot of other stuff that I have had to dump.

I don't think I ever put anything about the corps on a resume, or on a job application. It never really seemed necessary. During the interview, if the converstion wandered to beliefs, I mentioned that I was a Christian and that I would be an honest, hard-working employee. (Remember, I am in the Bible belt - so it's not so hard to get to that subject.)

I have been out longer than I was in - so I don't have to worry about going back ten years -

I have The Way International on my resume. I have 5 more years before I can take it off of my resume since most employers want 10 years of work history.

What would you put if you had worked at The Way? It was 5 years I was there, so it is a huge chunk of my recent work history.

You worked for a non-denominational religious organization called the Way International

Your work skills include.....

Your educational resume is.....

Your responsibilities included.....

Consider what job you are seeking with a particular company, and truthfully tailor your resume to the skills and abilities you believe they are seeking.

Are you a consensus-builder? Do you have "take charge" leadership abilities? Do your skills and abilities match the position which you are seeking? If not, would they be willing to train you?

Your experience and employment by the Way International need not be a hinderance to obtaining a job. It's all about how you present it to a prospective employer. And frankly, in an interview, how you discuss your experiences with a past employer may give them some idea of what kind of employee you would be with them.

Good point, Kev. If it IS on the resumé, and an interviewer asked about it, it could look kinda cagey to not say the name of the organization. The trick would be to be able to say it without sounding even MORE cagey.

I would practice how I would say that before I ever got in front of a potential employer!

Regards,

Shaz

Edited by shazdancer

I'm a little late here, but I think I'll chime in.

There's certainly no harm, in my eyes, of putting down Way Corps training on your resume. OTOH, to call it corporate leadership training is an out and out lie. Having worked for several corporations and having built a small one from scratch, I can tell you that we don't need chair-stringers and song-leaders. Nor do we need the "my way or the highway" attitude that seemed pervasive in TWI.

I don't think I had to deal with explaning the corps years on a resume because I left so many years ago, but the way I've described my corps years to a select few co-workers is...I just try to make light of it and I say "I went to cult college...it was supposed to be a bible college, but it turned out to be a cult...sorta like Amway with God thrown into the mix. Hey...we all do stupid things when we're young".

She is advertising herself as a "A seasoned professional—proficient as a proofreader, writer and editor," yet she has a typo on her resume. Even worse, it's in reference to her work for TWI:

2001–2003

Publications

The Way International

New Knoxville, Ohio

International nonprofit organization

. Part of the publication team, responsible for bimonthly magazine,

Bookwork and a wide variety of written communications, including calendars, letters, forms, reference material and advertisements for national and international distribution.

. Oversaw a special historical project. Collected and organized extensive data for an ongoing historical project. Compiled a 600-page manuscript, developed an instruction guide or the project, and successfully transferred the project to the next facilitator.

Seems to be inconsistant use of a period as a bullet point and sentence end also.

Not that I'm picky, but typos on resumes, especially for a writer, are unforgivable. I've gone through quite a few resumes in interviewing people for Information Technology jobs, where good writing skills is not a requirement, yet a blatant typo on the resume is a killer. If you haven't taken the time to make sure your resume is correct, how can I know the work you're going to be doing isn't going to get the same kind of treatment?

Always check and recheck your resume. Then have someone else proof read it before sending it out.

Edited by GreasyTech

As for her listing her "training" in the corps, I have two problems with it. She lists it in her Training section as:

1983–1987 The Way Corps, Corporate Leadership Training Program
  1. It is a false statement, a lie. It is not a "Corporate Leadership Training Program." It has nothing to do with corporate training and TWI never bills it as such.
  2. It has nothing to do with what her resume is targeted at, writing services.

Unless the person reading this resume knows anything about TWI, and the odds of that are pretty slim, it adds nothing to it. If she managed to get to the interview point, it only serves for the interviewer to ask what it is -- at which point, I suppose, she could witness to the person.

I don't know about you, but an interview is not quite the right place to be looking for a witnessing opportunity.

My father once taught me that "you can learn SOMETHING from anything you do if you look for something to learn"

You remind me of Bill ... I'm guessing you're brothers. Sounds like you learned a lot from your father. It seems to me you probably came into the corps with a "strong personality".

Most probably agree they learned things in residence, but you have to weigh that against the cost. Where would you be if you'd persued other goals, and how much did the corps permanently "twist" your brain? Perhaps many didn't have a strong father role before and were more influenced by the vpw role, and the subtle influences of being in a cult. I think the subtle "we are superior" attitude was one of the worst things that got crammed in our brains. Perhaps some could read that as confidence, but I think confidence is more receptive to outside thinking. I sacrificed persuing a college type career for a Christian service type life ... the corps gave us some ugly mixture of Carnegie and Jim Baker, which often did more harm than good.

Anyway, after a decade, I moved on ...

Jet style packing LOL

Rip their lips and slash their jaws

... rub their faces raw raw RAW

Barber college

Barber college

Barber college

Rip their lips and slash their jaws

... rub their faces raw raw RAW

Barber college

Barber college

Barber college

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha rhino !!!!!!

really good points in your post

yesterday my friend at work and i were talking about what we did with our college degrees. she was laughing as i described my little sidetrack from college until almost mid 30's

I maybe should hesistantly add that ... those that think we can really run a meeting (branch limb, whatever) ... are delusional ... in some ways yes ... in many ways ... we were minor league at best ... we were in a cult .. get over it. Those that cared about people may have helped people ... others that were self serving arsehole would never cut it in the corporate world ... unless they are unionized or tenured ... man ... OK, prove me wrong ... show me a way corps arsehole that made it big based on his way training. Wasn't Bo Rearhard sposed to be some hot shot? But was his training from the corps? Did any way corpse arses really make it big in GE or Microsoft? Just curious ... open for discussion and all ...

rhino

Thank you so much for the loving reproof. I am meek to your words, and yes I will do my penance working an extra shift of bless patrol. I am sure I was thinking more highly of myself than I ought to. Which as we both know is the first step on the road down.

:jump:

i'm thinking stanford university might have helped bo's resume. whether or not he attended there while a wayfer has nothing to do with anything, except maybe they paid for it, not like he needed it....

show me a way corps arsehole that made it big based on his way training
no way ain't gonna happen. they brought their brains, genes, etc., into the program, yeah ok

some people may not have known how to use a knife and fork, and i'm sure the training helped them from being thrown out of places

rhino

Thank you so much for the loving reproof. I am meek to your words, and yes I will do my penance working an extra shift of bless patrol. I am sure I was thinking more highly of myself than I ought to. Which as we both know is the first step on the road down.

:jump:

LOL ... well, I really didn't want to point to you ... or anyone ... but we would still like to believe those years were not totally wasted ... I agree with Poole boy on this, we did learn some things, but it is not like it was the best there was to offer. That is the next step to admit to, after seeing the "we are God's special Corps" thing was a big fat lie. Please don't do any penance .. just go drink some green beer and decide not being "Eloheim's Elite" is OK. I think it takes time to get over realizing WE are NOT God's gift to the world.

Anyway, I don't want to give reproof, whatever it is is probably not loving, sheesh don't be friggin meek ... thinking too highly ... how do I know how high you are thinking ... ? I'm gonna go drink more wine now ... admittedly I may have missed the greatness of the Corps training ... party on ...

The whole love/hate relationship that TWI had with the private sector was kinda weird. I think it started with VP making some sort of remark in PFAL about having been picked for an executive position at A.B. Dick, a pretty big company back then.

Loy seemed to want to make a big deal of being the equivilent of a CEO in a Fortune 500 company.

The grassroots reality of the situation is this. It's way easier to manage an organization when A) you don't have to pay prevailing wages, B) you don't have to pay corporate income tax and C) you can convince your workers that they are really working for God and not you. And conversely, if they are doing a poor job, they are shortchanging God.

But alas, no scam lasts forever.

Well, I do remember Mrs. Owens talking about how y'all HAD to be put to work and taught "proper manners" because some of you MUST have been raised in a barn. <_< But didn't they put some of you in a barn to live?? :blink:
I'd expound on that, but the sheep and I have a "don't ask, don't tell" understanding.

I've never had a real job so I haven't had much problem with it.

My bio is posted on the web here if anyone cares http://thesmallbusinesscoach.com/blog/articles/about-2/

I've been out for 20 years so it really doesn't matter anymore. But I did go looking around back then. I can't remember what I put on the resume, but I'm sure I didn't mention the way by name or even the bible stuff. I think it helped that I never actually worked for the way (except one year). But I was in the corps and had to explain that time. Also had a degree from a real college so I didn't have to use my pretend one from the campus of the holy blood or whatever it was.

So many years later I'm very comfortable telling (most) people I was in a cult. But I'm not sure I would be if I'd just gotten out - one because it's weirder when it's recent and two because things seem to have gotten real strange at the way in the last decade.

I've even put my cult story on someone else's web site. Click Here then scroll down.

Edited by My3Cents