GreaseSpot Cafe

Vote for which chat program GreaseSpot should use

GT

Choose GreaseSpot's chat program  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Which chat program should GreaseSpot use?

• Live Chat
    • FlashChat

Live Chat has been upgraded to the latest and greatest. Now you decide which GreaseSpot should use, Live Chat or FlashChat.

Unfortunately, the "Who's Chatting" section can only show for one of the chat rooms at a time. For now, it will be showing FlashChat. Latter on, we'll switch it over to Live Chat, then tally the results.

Edited by GreasyTech

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

can you make it so that Livechat doesn't close the Forums Window when you click the link to chat?

Is there much difference in cost?

Live chat seems faster now to get into than it was before for me

I like the screen in Flashchat because it displays more lines, (less scrolling back). Livechat has a small screen. Can it be made larger?

Flashchat for many people really lags, and can lock up more it seems.

In Livechat, you can quickly change fonts and font sizes, and there are sounds.

Flash has more/better avatars and smilies

I dunno, either is ok, but I think we need to try live chat with its new configuration again before a decision is made.

~HAP

Edited by HAPe4me

Thanks HAPe4me.

Forgot to mentiont that comments are definetly needed here.

I voted Flash Chat because between the two options available now, I prefer the Flash Chat.

Being able to decorate in my taste, choose icons, easily join/start different rooms, and other fun stuff makes the chat experience addictive to me. LOL I didn't see that many options in the Live Chat.

What about IRC?

Haven't voted yet, because they both work about the same for me.

It does seem to take a bit longer to get into live chat (for me),

but I like the smilies there better.

Once Hap explained how to set personal settings,

I like the fact that I can just log into Flash chat,

and everything is set up already.

Both are pretty good, but so far I lean towards flash chat.

Will flash chat be shut down for a while so the *new* live chat

will be in exclusive use, for *choice* perusal?

I went to both of them the other night,

and folks were only in the flash room.

Thanks HAPe4me.

Forgot to mentiont that comments are definetly needed here.

comments are good, so are answers when they become available. I'd like to see how Livechat works when there is a crowd. Flashchat does slow down for me proportionate to the number of users, and especially with lots of animated avatars going on in there.

By the way, CW, there are other rooms also in Livechat, as well as Flashchat, but nobody uses the other rooms so far in either do they?

You can customize the background colors in both, but they do not stay that way next time you come into the room, in Livechat. they do in Flashchat, a nice feature The avatars (such as they are) do stay by your name in both rooms.

HAP

I prefer Live Chat for the following reasons:

1. Flash Chat is very slow to load.

2. Once it loads, there is a lag in what is being displayed as you type, so if you are a fast typist, it seems to put your message in terminable hold, putting your comment up 4-5 lines later than when you typed it - - which makes for a very disjointed chat conversation (not that most of our conversations aren't) ;)

3. Flash Chat appears to freeze up about every other time I have visited.

4. When it's not freezing up and booting me out, then it does intermittently "bump" my comments as someone enters or leaves the room, i.e., I'll have typed a comment, hit enter just as someone is entering or leaving, chat freezes, other comments appear and mine is lost.

5. I do like the smiley and avatar options in Flash Chat, but the color thing still is awful (yes, even with the "select gray") and too often we spend time missing comments because someone has chosen a color that is very difficult for old eyes to detect. :)

6. I miss the sounds available in Live Chat.

7. I agree with Hap (don't faint, Hap) ;) - - it would be nice for a larger message display screen in Live Chat.

I think that about does it.

J.

Ditto what Jard says. :)

Thanks to some one-on-one help ( :love3: ), I'm able to get into Live Chat now. I like it! It reminds me of the other chat rooms that everyone has seemed to like so much through the years.

I can get into Flash Chat at work, but not Live Chat thanks to the Network Nazi's. However, people don't seem to chat much during the day anymore and I wouldn't be able to chat much during work hours anyway. :nono5: Shouldn't chat much during work hours is more like it. :redface2:

Jard, I couldn't even get into FlashChat tonight! It kept booting me out. I'm in LiveChat now! Please come there! There don't seem to be any problems there and I'm lonely! I wish I could be in Flash since that's where everyone is, but ..... :(

Now tonight, after being in chat, it booted me out every time someone new came in. Then finally, when I tried to get back in, it kept giving me a Macromedia script error.

Oh well!

J.

When you get that script error, does it ask if you want to abort the script? I get the same message all night, every night. I answer NO to it. then it loads fine. The first thing I do on entering then is type /clear this clears the screen and starts new. It then works until there are about 2 or 3 pages of chat, then I /clear again, which also gets rid of my lag. It works for some, and not for others from what I am told. It keeps me in there, but it is a pain, and is the major reason I look forward to a true test of Livechat before Tech and paw make a decision on which.

~HAP

The "Who's Chatting" at the bottom of the board index has been changed to show who is in "Live Chat".

We'll keep it this way for a week or so, see how it goes. Then we'll tally up the totals, submit the results to Paw, who will pick which one he likes irregardles of the voting. :biglaugh:

Just kidding.....

oh does voting count here ?

i seem to remember some votes about how long we should be able to edit our posts

duh

An investigation has been launched for some time now into voting irregularities in regard to that poll.

A couple quick FYI's:

1) The link for Live Chat is on the top menu, just below the banner.

2) Live Chat opens in the same window in a fixed size. If you want to resize the window, click the Float button (3rd button from the right) to pop out the chat into it's own window. It then can be resized.

An investigation has been launched for some time now into voting irregularities in regard to that poll.

How could there have been *irregularities* in the editing poll?

I was allowed one vote, and I'm guessing others were afforded the same.

Were they tabulated in Florida?? :dance:

(Mea culpa -- if there were in fact *irregularities*, but from my end ---

I don't see how they could have happened.) <_<

Was in Live Chat last nite. It sucked big time for me! Java kept telling me I didn't have the new version (but the java homepage said I was all up-to-date..which was the truth because I uninstalled/installed everything twice...rebooted at least 4 times), I couldn't get all the sounds to play, I didn't have all the neat little bells and whistles others seemed to have. It was lots faster, though. But I'm not so much into speed as I am into bells, whistles, decorating etc. :)

It's only showing if someone is actually in the room, even though I told it to show always.

I'll see if I can fix it later....

I just voted for the Live chat. It seems to be most responsive on this end.

I use Firefox to get into GSC, and Firefox works best with the live chat.

When in Flash chat, I have to switch out of Firefox, and into Safari.

For some reason, Flash doesn't work well at all in Firefox -- it's way too *sluggish*.

The room was moving quickly last night. Much faster (it seems) than it used to.

It was a fun time. :)

Aaaahhhhhhh........David, I USE Firefox and have HATED Flash Chat because of the sluggishness. I type too darn fast for the program to keep up and I also keep getting booted. <_< I don't have Safari, but you think if I used IE instead that would solve most of my problems?

Could that be your puter's problem, too, CW? What do you use to get on?

And last night was a blast! I had so much fun chatting with everyone.