GreaseSpot Cafe

Dog Advice Needed

Nottawayfer

Our cocker spaniel, Pumpkin, is a pretty good natured dog most of the time. However, if we have a dog at our house or if he is at the vet, he challenges and growls and tries to bite the other dogs. I saw him do this to a blind French bulldog (who had no idea what was going on so there was no challenge by the bulldog). I end up holding him back, but he is out of control.

He is a rescue dog, and we got him at 5 years old. The lady who fostered him said he lived in a house with 5 other cockers with not political issues. She said he stayed out of the dog politics. He seems to be a completely different dog than what she described.

My family brings their dogs with them when they visit. It hasn't been that often lately, but we are trying to figure out a way to calm him down around other dogs in his territory. Yesterday hubby brought a co-worker's dog overnight while they were out of town. It was a hassle to juggle the dogs to keep the visting dog away from our maniac. We love him, but we really dislike his temper toward other animals. We even saw him this way with a baby kitty that was dumped in our yard a few months back.

Do you think if we brought a dog around and kept a muzzle on him that it would help him to learn to relax around other dogs? I've had cockers before and never had this problem.

Thanks for your input.

You can try this, it worked for me. The instant he shows aggressive behavior to his "guests", grab him and force him on his back and shout "no" loudly. This establishes you as the alpha dog and not him and tells him his behaviour is not acceptable. Note that you have to do it *right away*. Dogs have virtually no long-term memory when it comes to behaviour-punishment training. If you wait longer than a few seconds it will probably do more harm than good.

:(

A dog can receive a correction for inappropriate pack behavior even if you have never trained the correct behavior. Dogs instinctually understand pack behavior.

We've heard about some wonderful successes with shock collar use... buzzing first to warn, then a shock if behavior persists. Seems the dogs catch on right away, and the inappropriate behavior stops quickly.

And as Jim stated, it must be done RIGHT AWAY!!!

Love the name Pumpkin~ how sweet

Edited by SafariVista

Cockers can be very aggressive, It can be in their nature.They can be aggressive to other dogs or humans. How is he with humans?How is he when he is not at home ie, out and about not a stressful situation? Is Pumkin crate trained? Have you tried Rescue Remedy say about an hour before other dogs show up? It sounds like if this just happens in the house or his yard. He is trying to protect his territory.

Edited by justloafing

Just loafing raises a good point. My little terrier mutt is extremely aggressive toward other dogs when she's in her fenced yard and they come anywhere around the perimeter of the yard. She's guarding her turf. When I have her out walking on her leash, she's totally different. Friendly and docile. I've only seen her act aggressively toward one dog in that situation--she just didn't like him for some reason.

The other place you described her as being aggressive was at the vet's, where lots of other dogs were around. In that setting, she was probably just stressed, both by going to the vet and being closed in with so many dogs there.

I'm no expert by any means, but I wonder if there's a neutral, nonstressful place you could take Pumpkin for socialization? Are there any dog parks in your area, for instance? Or could you and a friend take Pumpkin and friend's dog to the park and see how she does in that seeting?

Another possibility is dog obedience class. A good trainer should know how to work with her and help you work with her.

I hope you can find a solution, because Pumpkin sounds like a sweetie otherwise.

Edited by Linda Z

Great suggestions Linda.

From what you describe..... Jim is correct I believe, that Pumpkin has assumed the *alpha* dog role in your home.

He has usurped your job because he doesn`t think that you are doing it....Jim is correct, he needs to be grabbed and pinned in a submissive position just like a pack leader would treat him, whenever he starts actiong dominant.

Trust me, once you re establish pack hierarchy.... he will relax and let you guys handle the strange dogs and call the shots.

A simple *no sweety* isn`t going to do it....lol

Another necessity is daily walks to release that pent up energy and frustration...it can make all of the difference in the world.

The BEST advice that I have to offer is.......Do you have satelite tv? Do you ever watch *The dog whisperer*? Ceaser Milan is terrific with these issues.....he has a web sight where you can order some GREAT videos that will help you understand your dog`s perception....they just plain don`t view the world like we do....and it is necessary to understand in order to address these issues.

Dogs even though they are domesticated are still animals.

My oldest son brought his dog when he moved back home. He is part pit and part chow. Any family member and most other people can go play with him. The rougher the better. I think I could half beat him to death and he would come back for more.

I can take the dog on a leach and he cowers around other dogs. UNTIL

One day my two youngest were playing basketball in the driveway. He was wimpering through the fence to be with them. They brought him around to the front. At that moment a lose dog came into the yard. As he cowerd the larger dog bit him. Wrong move. My sons dog went wild. He took on a dog that was almost three times his size and literally tore him up. Unfortunitly my youngest did not realize you dont stop a dog fight by pulling the dogs apart. It only cost him 5 stitchs and a nasty scare on his hand.

I dont trust dogs and dont want any.

Pumpkin is good with all people. He is a typical alarm dog--barks when they come in the house. But when they get in, he's happy to see them and follows them around. We have new people coming to our house almost nightly since my husband has a recording studio in the back of our house. He wants to follow them so much I have to hold on to him so he doesn't trip them when they are bringing their instruments in.

He is crate trained. When we tell him it's time to go to bed, he goes straight to the crate. We don't take him out much because he gets car sick. He has ralphed in my car several times, so we limit his car rides to going to the vet and groomer only. He has epilepsy, and a car ride resulting in vomiting can trigger a seizure.

He has bitten me a few times. It has happened when he was laying on my bed and I was scratchign his back and touched the top of his stubby tail. He HATES his tail to be rubbed when he isn't expecting it. If I purposefully rub his tail and tell him it's OK, then he is fine. It's weird. Other than that, he's really lovable. It's like he has a Jakyl and Hyde personality.

I think it is a pack issue. I just have to get some dog in our house to establish who is the alpha dog. Do both my husband and I need to establish we are the alpha dogs? I wonder if that will confuse him.

Justloafing: I'm not familar with Rescue Remedy. What is it?

Hi WayferNot:)

My boss adopted an 8 year old schipperke right after Christmas. He comes to the office with her every day. Since Gail is a chiropractor, and licensed for animal chiropractic, our office has 40 or 50 people come in every day, and at least 5 dogs as patients, along with the patients that bring their dogs in with them to visit.

Tyler (the schip) is a great little guy, he is fun and affectionate AWAY FROM THE OFFICE, but at the office, he is ON PATROL. He is a little terror (schipperke, loosely means Little Captain in German.) We have his crate behind my counter and there is a walkway from the office back to his crate. He is completely dog aggressive at the office, and I have to keep him crated when I know we have canine patients. The rest of the time he is free to run around the office and "inspect" the patients as he waits for treats :asdf:

Whenever Gail goes away, Tyler stays over at Justloafing's house along with his three lab and lab mixes. Tyler is a perfect gentleman there. To help with his socialization, JL brings in one of his dogs when he comes in to help "push Tyler's buttons." I think it is helping him.....but on the other hand, I don't believe he will ever be "welcoming" to another animal that comes in to the office. So far, the best we have seen is that

we have seen, he tolerates visitors and hangs out right by me or his mom.

Rescue remedy is an herbal BACH FLOWER ESSENCE (google them, they will change your life) It is great for animals (or people) that need to take a chill pill, especially good in thunder and lightening storms.

I agree with Jim and Rascal. You should read up on the alpha dog theories and dog training. Your guy thinks he is in charge of the pack..........he just needs to have an attitude adjustment;)

Love ya gal!!!!!

ror

I don't think it will confuse him to think you and your husband are both "the boss." Maxx was very quick to perceive that my husband was ultimately in charge, and our son, then aged 9, had no authority at all. This left me somewhere in the middle, but I was the one who gave him food and took him for walks, so I was pretty much "in" in his little scheme of things.

Cocker spaniels are pretty smart dogs.

Has he been neutered? That might help.

I agree with Jim. A great book to get is "How to be Your Dog's Best Friend". Tells about the alpha thing.

WG

Yes, Pumpkin is neutered. He was neutered just last year after he was in an animal shelter (and before we got him). I wonder if that affects their personality to be neutered later rather than earlier.

I will definitely get educated on the pack mentality of dogs so we can try to resolve this this issue. It amazes me how aggressive he is. All of the dogs who have come to our home have been males. I wonder how he would do with a female dog. I'm totally dumb when it comes to dog mentality. I grew up learning just to love them and then scorning them verbally when they do wrong. Duh!! That doesn't work.

When we got Maxx as a puppy, the folks who bred him had three pups for sale out of his litter. One, the cutest, was very timid and ran and hid. One was very bold and climbed all over us. #3 sat back, looked us over, and apparently thought, Hey these guys are okay. Think I'll say hello. That was Maxx.

However, our Lab, Sophie the Wonder Dog, was 6 when we got her. She was very overweight, emotionally neglected and started off being very aggressive. One day she pooped in our front room and I had just had it. I yelled at her. She growled at me. I punched her HARD under her jaw, yelled at her to lie DOWN, and scared her so bad she rolled onto her back. Whereupon I slapped her from side to side, not as hard, but screaming, "Im the alpha bitch in this pack and don't you ever forget it!"

This is called the alpha wolf roll and is in the book I mentioned. Only time I've ever used it on a dog, but she never did that again, and has been very nice. She wouldn't look me in the eye for three months after that one time, but now is just the greatest dog, and my grandson uses her for a speed bump.

WayferNot!, I have the same problem with Vixen and it's terribly embarrassing because Border Terriers are supposed to be friendly with every dog! They are pack animals bred to work with other dogs on the hunting field. :redface2:

I do a lot of AKC trials and stuff with her and have to be very careful. Her problem is my fault, though, after getting divorced and leaving TWI, I did nothing but go to work and come home and go to bed. She got out of practice being around other dogs and people. The more exposure they have to both, the better they are around them.

She's ready to start going toward her Master Earthdog title, but that requires that she hunt "nicely" and "professionally" with another dog - could be a border, a doxie, a jack, bedlington....any other kind of terrier. My breeder is concerned and thinks I should hold off a bit on that. We're also getting ready to compete in agility - which means she'll be off leash and if she sees another dog she decides to attack, I'm screwed. Two incidents in any of these types of trials and she'll be disqualified from being able to compete.

I've done tons of research and practice with her and am starting to see some great results. I've pretty much combined a bunch of things I've learned. I don't want to write a book here, but will be happy to talk to you or e-mail what I've been doing.

There is a Yahoo! group for aggressive behavior training that I gleaned some great information from. Also, getting help from other border terrier owners....

The things I started with are....taking her walking when there will be other neighbors out walking their dogs. I use a flex because "play walks" are supposed to be fun and different from walking on the 6 ft. leash, imo. When I see a dog or cat nearby, I immediately put Vixen in a "sit" or a "down" and make her look at me. Every time she tries to get up or lunge, I put her back into the position with a very firm voice. (Like Jim said, borders are tough little buggers, but if you're too tough with them, you can break them and our bond).

I practice at home with treats and make her look at me before she gets the treat...once she starts to "get it" I increase the length of time she has to "look at me".

It's really cool when she starts to get it because I'll have the treat in my hand and put it down by my knee or some place away from my face....

she'll paw at it and try to get it, but eventually she'll sit back and look me straight in the eye

I smile and say "good girl" and give her the threat

Next time - same thing, but make her keep looking at me

She'll deviate her eyes to the treat - because they are very "body language" oriented.

I'll remind her to "look at me" and she does

Increasing the time she has to "look at me" before she gets the treat.

Then I take this outside where there are distractions and do the same thing.

Then take her out where there are distractions and dogs around and do the same thing.

She's not there yet, but she's soooooo much better.

My neighbors have a total alpha bitch schnauzer. Two alpha bitches can be funny and frustrating beyond belief.

I'll take Vixen over there and we keep them both on leashes and away from each other for a bit till they calm down and quit trying to kill each other.

Then take the leash off both of them.

I get Vixen in her sit and "look at me" for a bit and then eventually start visiting with my neighbors.

The two dogs do NOT get along, but they just ignore each other.

When my neighbors go out of town and I'm watching their schnauzer, I'll take the squirt with me and it doesn't take long for them to remember that fighting is not allowed.

BUT when I sit - they'll race to get to my lap. I'll pet one while the other circles around like a shark till the other gets off my lap. :biglaugh:

Then they promptly fill the lap space - a dog version of "king of the mountain" LOL!

Yahoo! Aggressive Behavior Therapy for Dogs