GreaseSpot Cafe

good friday

excathedra

we never spoke from 12 to 3 (9 kids, must have been my mom's best day of the year)

we built altars around the house and knelt and prayed and contemplated jesus's journey

we went to church and did the stations with him

when we got a little older, we played "jesus christ superstar" album all through the day

i have very deep feelings memories of this day called good friday

we never spoke from 12 to 3 (9 kids, must have been my mom's best day of the year)

we built altars around the house and knelt and prayed and contemplated jesus's journey

when we got a little older, we played "jesus christ superstar" album all through the day

Please enlighten me... what religion?

Any that calls for silence in the home works for me! Call me an instant member!

When I was a youngster, we had Good Friday and "Easter Monday" off - like our spring break. My family always headed out Thursday after school to our cottage at the beach. What fun - swimming, sailing, tanning, playing. It was always a blast. On Easter Sunday we often visited the Presbyterian Church there on the intercoastal waterway. Sitting in the sanctuary you could see the water and it was so peaceful. Made up for the typical Presbyterian teachings of how we were all sinners and lowly worms, undeserving of God's goodness.

Guess only North Carolina celebrates "Easter Monday". When I moved to TN, no one had heard of it.

"Jesus Christ Superstar" was a cool album, and still is.

Made quite an impression on me in my Columbian Gold daze.

I also have fond Easter memories of watching "Barabbas" on the tv while snarfing down easter eggs and candy.

:)

Danny

Edited by TheInvisibleDan

I too, remember Good Friday well.

Was also silent between 12-3, many businesses shutting down during this time.

Once organized the neighbor kids and we did the stations of the cross together.

Often the sky would darken during that time (or, was it my imagination?)

Was always afraid to look at the statues or pictures in the church for fear that I would see actual tears or observe movement. This was a favorite story of the older neighbor kids to the younger.

What are the Stations? What is done at the Stations?

This is very interesting. What a devoted way to teach about Jesus Christ...

6 years ago, it would have been dismissed as 'traditions of men', without a second thought...

Aren't we supposed to do something to always remember how God freed 'His People' from Egypt too? :unsure:

SafariVista

The Stations of the Cross is a devotion that 'spiritually' has us walk the way of the cross with Jesus. There are normally 14 stations, which are stopping points along the path that leads from Pilate's condemnation of Him to his burial.

It is an extremely powerful and intense set of prayers, scripture readings, and chants that never ceases to move me (at least) -- as well as any Christian that I've known (both Protestant and Catholic) that have participated in them.

Since almost the earliest times people have made pilgrimages to Jerusalem. They would walk the way of the cross, recalling the Passion. However, since the Muslims took over the area, it became increasingly difficult and dangerous for them to make that pilgrimage. So, in the middle ages, they erected waypoints along an outdoor path to represent the spots they would stop at during a pilgrimage. That is basically the origin of the path. The markers for those waypoints were then moved inside of the churches eventually, making it more accessible for people living in cities.

After the reformation, most Protestant churches did away with the stations; however, in the past few decades, there has been an increasing interest in this devotion. I know the Anglicans have always done it; many Lutherans have, in recent years, started doing it again, as have many Methodists.

A good reflection on the way of the cross can be found here.

A throughly Protestantized version can be found here.

A good devotion for this day.

Edited by markomalley

Another very powerful rememberence from Good Friday are the Good Friday Reproaches:

My people, what have I done toyou
How have I offended you?Answer me!

I led you out of Egypt,
from slavery to freedom,
but you led your Saviorto the cross.

My people, what have Idone to you?

For forty years I ledyou
safely through thedesert.
I fed you with mannafrom heaven,ù
and brought you to aland of plenty;
but you led your Saviorto the cross.

Holy is God!
Holy and strong!
Holy immortal One, havemercy on us!

What more could I havedone for you.
I planted you as myfairest vine,
but you yielded onlybitterness:
when I was thirsty yougave me vinegar to drink,
and you pierced yourSavior with a lance.

Holy is God!
Holy and strong!
Holy immortal One, havemercy on us!

For your sake I scourgedyour captors
and their firstbornsons,
but you brought yourscourges down on me.

I led you from slaveryto freedom
and drowned your captorsin the sea,
but you handed me overto your high priests.

I opened the sea beforeyou,
but you opened my sidewith a spear.

I led you on your way ina pillar of cloud,
but you led me toPilate's court.

I bore you up with mannain the desert,
but you struck me downand scourged me.

I gave you saving waterfrom the rock,
but you gave me gall andvinegar to drink.

For you I struck downthe kings of Canaan.
but you struck my headwith a reed.

I gave you a royalscepter,
but you gave me a crownof thorns.

I raised you to theheight of majesty,
but you have raised mehigh on a cross.

I wasnt raised in a religious family so I dont have any specific childhood memories of good friday, but after my TWI years I lived in a small town in Puerto Rico for a while that more than filled in.

The town was always very active-roosters, dogs and mules running everywhere, salsa music blasting, hustlers on streetcorners selling their wares, people drinking rum and congregating, old men playing dominoes--it was always a cacophony of sight and sound.

Things started to noticably slowdown on a Tuesday. Wednesday of that week was very quiet and when I asked why, I was told it was Holy Week. Thursday you could hear a pin drop -the town was dead still, everything was closed, there wasn't a car on the street and almost no activity. It was weird. On Friday everyone (and I mean everyone) in town walked quietly to the town square where the crucifixion (complete with screams and spurting blood) was brutally reenacted. Of course being the new guy in town I was ushered to the front.

Coming out of a group like TWI, that downplayed the crucifixion so much, and finding myself standing in a group of of thousands of silent people(well-many were crying) watching this all live and in color was incredibly sobering. People slowly and quietly dispersed. Friday and Saturday the entire town remained eerily silent.

On Sunday all the churches let out at the same time and had a huge parade and festival together in the town square complete with fire works, bands and all sorts of boisterous celebrations. There were parties everywhere, by Monday things were back to normal. or as normal as they could be after experiencing that

Edited by mstar1

The best Good Friday I can remember as a young teenager was having school out, so I, my brothers and sisters, and some neighbors went to a nearby park and played baseball for hours. (I think we finished in time to be trundled off to the lugubrious "Stations.") I was so sore the next day I could hardly move! :o

Today turns out to be a great Good Friday, as well. My youngest stepchild proposed to his sweetheart today, and she said yes! :jump:

George

Guess only North Carolina celebrates "Easter Monday".

When I was growing up here in North Carolina, we never had Good Friday off from school. I can remember people referring to it as a "Catholic holiday." I have no idea why.

We always got Easter Monday, and there's an interesting story behind that. Back in the early 1900's the Monday after Easter was the day of the big baseball game between N.C. State and Wake Forest. This was one of the big social events of the season at the time and all the ladies would wear their Easter bonnets and dresses to the game. At that time, Wake Forest was still in the little town of Wake Forest, just up the road from Raleigh, before R.J. Reynolds gave them a snootful of money to move the whole college to Winston-Salem. Everybody went to the game and the all of Raleigh basically shut down.

Raleigh is also the home of the state legislature and the legislators wanted to go to the game too. Now they would just go, but 100 years ago that just wasn't done. They solved the problem by passing a bill declaring the day after Easter to be an official state holiday - Easter Monday. That tradition continued long after the baseball game stopped being played on that day.

And now you know the rest of the story.

A candlelit service that is entirely sung. As the music progresses, the candles are extinguished until just one remains. After it is extinguished, the congregations remains silent for a time, then begins to file out in silence.

Devastating and moving to the max.

No particular memories as my parents were atheist.

But if I were to build memories by choice, I'd choose many of the things I've heard here, plus I'd see to it that a Tenebrae service was a part of each Good Friday evening.

Who has done/does Tenebrae?

We do, after a manner of speaking, as part of the Triduum.

After the Holy Thursday Mass, the lights in the church were plunged into darkness (only candlelight). The blessed Sacrament was transferred in procession to another chapel (conveniently, we have a Catholic HS across the street from our church), representing the Lord going off to the Garden to pray... (the Taize song, "Stay with me, remain here with me" is chanted throughout)

The Liturgy of the Hours from that point on (the Office of Readings and Morning Prayer, in particular) are done in near darkness. Interestingly, there are no masses celebrated from that point (i.e., Good Friday or Holy Saturday).

Good Friday service begins in darkness with that chant going on, as well (Stay with me...). Readings appropriate for the occasion are read (this year, cycle B, the readings were: Isa 53, Heb 4, and John's account of the Passion)...etc., etc.

Again, the lights are dimmed on the way out and "Jesus, remember me" (Taize) is chanted on the way out from the Good Friday service.

On the Easter Vigil, the service starts in darkness. And then the Easter fire is started, the candle is lit, and the church is again, slowly, lit up as the candle processes to the front of the church. Then, as the Exultet is chanted, the Church is suddenly brought into full light.

It is a very moving set of services...

Glad to see you enjoy them as well...

In the Protestant churches, Holy Thursday or Maundy Thursday was an important holy day. We had a communion service that evening usually with a choir singing one of the many contatta's (like a short opera).

From noon 'till 3 we were quiet. No TV no radio and the phone was off the hook. We could speak, but there was no "unnecessary talking". There was a service of sorts in the church at that time, and I went there when I was older.