GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

I understand Vlad signed with the Angels, after turning down an offer from the Mets.

Further, a local TV news sports guy just said that the Yankees probably felt silly about giving Clemens a "hummer" now that he has signed a one year contract to pitch for the 'stros.

• 2 weeks later...

My favorite Dodger teams were early 60's...Sandy Kofax(almost unhitable in 62-63, Don Drysdale (right handed rotation mate), Maury Wills (first real modern day base stealing phenom), the Davis boys Tommy and Willie. This was my favorite Dodger team (even though I "Idolized Hank Aaron"). The first form of idolitry I was into. I also liked the Ron Cey (the Penguin) and Steve Garvey (Popeye) era of the Dodgers. But my favorite thing about going to Chavez Ravine (Dodger Stadium) has to be "Dodger Dogs". Far better than WOW burgers.

don't forget Dusty Baker and Jim LeFebver (I know the spelling on Jim L's name is probably wrong).

In the 1960s, I first remember baseball in 1961, and loved Maris and Mantle.

Because prior to high school I lived in Rochester NY, I developed an affinity for the Baltimore Orioles, because I had seen many of them play in Rochester, and Earl Weaver managed the Red Wings to an International League championship before taking the helm of the O's.

But NOW, the DIAMONDBACKS are THE home team.

wasnt John Roseboro the catcher of those Dodger teams? I remember when .. was it Juan Marichal?...hit him with a bat....

.Those were the years when NL baseball was a totally different game than AL baseball and it was epitomized by the Dodgers----speed, pitching-defense--love it---boy those were some good teams

Ok, how does one politicize baseball? There are probably several roads that can be taken, but I just saw on the local five o'clock news that Diamondbacks owner Jerry Colagelo had to forego having dinner with his wife, last night, on their 43rd wedding anniversary, to accept an invitation to share a BEER and mexican food at a restaurant (near where SimonZ lives) with the President.

On footage carried on last night's 10pm news, Dbacks' field manager Bob Brenley was also at that dinner.

JC said Bush just wanted to have a beer, eat mexican food, and talk baseball.

I've already bragged to Rocky that Arte Moreno(back to camera)was one of the coaches on my son's little league team...Good down-to-earth guy...He seems to be following Jerry C.'s lead in going after free agents....The restaurant owners' daughter where they were at is a neighbor...Gee,why wasn't I invited to have a beer with them?

Speaking of those old Dodger teams,a buddy of mine in the corpse was at the game where Koufax pitched his perfect game against the Cubs,and left in the 7th inning with his dad to beat traffic!..Little remembered about that game was that the Dodgers scored their run without the benefit of a hit,and Cub pitcher Bob Hendley allowed only a meaningless,bloop double to Lou Johnson,else it could have been a double no-no...

that would be sweet for your boys wouldn't it Simon?

there's a great coffee table picture book by Walter Ioos (the second one, not Diamond Dreams) that has a fold out picture of Sandy Koufax that's about six or eight contiuous frames... an amazing picture... I love his photos... and still am in awe of Sandy...

... I've been here and I've been there and I've been in between...

Koufax was one of my heroes growing up... Randy Johnson is sometimes compared to him. Johnson has already outlasted Koufax, but has only made it to one World Series.

Koufax-Drysdale was very exciting. One reason why it's a shame the Dbacks had to part with Schilling was that he and Johnson were such an awesome tandem.

I think my favorite Dodger team was when Steve Garvey, Davy Lopes, Ron Sey, Dusty Baker, and the rest of those guys were playing.

By the way anyone who knows me knows that my son is a real good catcher and closing pitcher.

He was picked to play in the high school allstars for our area and played with Tracey's son bryan I think his name is and we got to see Jim Tracey and the rest of his family at some of the games, like when the Dodgers were playing home games.

And what a nice kid he is, very quiet, and a little shy. But he and my son Bobby got along famously. Bobby is just the opposite, LOUDLY cheering his team mates and I mean so loud that he got a sore throat and lost his voice. lol

He Bobby was the team captian and received an award for good sportsmanship, all around team player cuz they can put him anywhere and he is good, although he like's catching the best.

My dream has always been for him to play for the Dodgers one day.

Last year his travelling team, the Diamondbar Diamondbacks, played at the super series in Pheonix at the sports complex, spring training for the Padres and the Mariners. It was so exciting to watch all of the boys there, but was too hot well over 100 degrees and him with his catchers gear on he said he almost passed out a couple of times, so did mom. lol

Dovey....proud owner of two low riders...Dovey's Doxies...... too dumb to post pics http://gscafe.com/groupee/forums?s=9716057...a&ul=4846073735