GreaseSpot Cafe

Car runs into our house

TheEvan

Yes, Evan, tell us. Is everyone okay, and how in the world did this happen?

Your post reminds me of an old postcard I have: "Dear Uncle Bill. Someone cut the screen door and broke into our house last night. Love, Tommy."

We need details!

You must still be in shock!

I hope you weren't inside when it happened!

It looks like there was a young child in the car. Was anyone in the car hurt? It looks like that took a seerious beating too!!

Believe it or not, that happened to me once too! I'm so sorry. If I had a spare couple of rooms, you could stay here while they sort it all out.

It was about 4pm, Nancy & I were in the next room, Christine was in the breakfast room addressing invitations for her upcoming home-school graduation ceremony. She was sitting in the spot where the car came in. she got up to get a snack and sat at the opposite end of the table to eat it.

The pictured car was coming up the street at a good clip. A young man went through the stop sign at the side street, clipped her rear quarter and she careened into the house. We heard the impact and screeching and said "oh no, another wreck at our corner". Christine looked up from her snack to see a car bearing down on her at a high rate of speed.

BLAM!

The car managed to hit our main interior load bearing wall head on, so it took the brunt of the force. It raised the roof several inches besides all the other wacky stuff. Had she been over a foot, she would have run entirely through room where Christine was sitting. So we're very thankful!

The driver, amazingly, wasn't seriously hurt. Possibly a broken rib. Her child wasn't in the car.

The young man that tagged her is another home school kid who will be in the ceremony with Christine this Saturday. Word quickly went out that he was in a wreck and the car went into the house of the President of the home school organization (that's us). Toooo funny! He's a fine kid and this will simply grow his charcter. He's already been over to help with things.

It was on the evening news. They mentioned where our daughter was sitting and the talking head said "thank the Good Lord she wasn't hurt"

My sentiments precisely.

Glad to hear everyone's okay, TheEvan. I remember this happened to a neighbor across the street when I was a kid. Worked on a repair job a few years ago of a similar house/car wreck. Man it's freaky everytime I hear of something like this!

Gotta be something about the city Evan. 16 years ago when I was on Lynbrook a car ran into my house - did not quite penetrate so nothing like your damage but also hit the room that my daughter was in. Nowhere near the threat to her that Christine faced.

I'm glad no one was hurt!

Nah, the house is quite repairable.

The adjuster returns Tuesday afternoon for a 2 hour 'session'. Already, indications are that they'll be paying for quite a bit more than I'll find necessary to do. It's possible the ceiling and roof will settle neatly back into place when the support wall is demoed. If so, we'll have quite the nest egg left over, probably enough to do our driveway/carport/back yard project for which we have drawings and plans. :evilshades:

Man..... Evan....

What some people won't do to get a remodel.... :eusa_clap: !!!

But seriously just how much did you have to pay that home school kid to get that lady to hit your house!!

DANG!!! :jump:

Just kidding I hope you know!!!

Seen any good egg tosses lately??????? LOL!!!