GreaseSpot Cafe

The Way Corps

I Love Bagpipes

Here is an excerpt about The Way Corps from the most recent Way Mag. Another thread I started ("duplicity") spins partly from me reading the excerpt below (and reading other stuff from the recent Way Mag). (Excuse any typos please..:) )

Doesn't this motivate you? :biglaugh:

'Because planning is a part of believing, the in-residence Way Corps develop skills in good, solid planning as part of their training. All of the students were involved in planning the trip to the Advanced Class at Headquarters this summer, thinking through the itinerary. They planned vehicles, food, finances, routes, and lodging.

An overall coordinator was chosen, and then assistants were assigned to coordinate the different groups responsible to plan various aspects of the trip. Organizational meetings with all of the in-residence Way Corps were held periodically. These meetings showed everyone the essential details that each group put into their piece of the plan--the details necessary to successfully carry out such an event from start to finish.

One student writes, "In each category of planning, I learned that our plan had many variables within it. We had to consider how each portion of our plan is affected by other aspects of the plan, and how our portion affects other elements as well. We thought through these details and double-checked everything so that, to the best of our ability we did not miss anything. We also consistently sought counsel from one another, which was invaluable to our success."'

end excerpt

Let me remind you, this is a trip from Colorado to Ohio...you know...a road trip. How many folks involved? I do not know, but the Way Corps is small in numbers...20 people maybe?

Good gravy...this is as almost as good as the Advanced Class Candidates letter a few months back!

Remind me my next road trip with a group to get the committe together!! :wave:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know whether to laugh or cry after reading that. I think I'd rather laugh. They make it sound like they're planning the Olympics for crying out loud.

Here's my plan: Get the oil changed in the car. Pack. Lock up the house. Make sure we have money and snacks. Look at a map, then freekin' drive.

Sheesh.

The Way always tried to pride itself on doing things the "best" way. Work your plan, and plan your work. So much emphasis is put on perfection and doing things right the first time. No wonder Jesus is absent in their lives.

My most valuable learning in life is from the mistakes I've made. Life shouldn't be about trying to live perfectly. It should be about actually experiencing and enjoying life and the people and relationships you have.

I'm not perfect anymore. But I never was. :biglaugh:

Edited by Wayfer Not

" Life shouldn't be about trying to live perfectly. It should be about actually experiencing and enjoying life and the people and relationships you have."

You said it! WN. I wonder what kind of relationship these poor people are building with Jesus Christ? and one another? I wonder, too, what they are learning to grow in faith and confidence in a livng Saviour? and a God who is faithful whether we "plan" or not?

Sure would be nice if life was all perfect and predictable and risk free, and we never got thrown any curve balls. Ya know?

That's pretty much how I do my itineraries, except replace all the sentences with words like "planning", "details" and "thinking through" with "got together for some beer". :beer:

I see they managed to squeeze some variation of the word "plan" in ten times in those few remarks. :biglaugh:

Edited by rhino

The saddest part is that the plan eventually becomes the goal. If not adhered to rigidly, then the believing wasn't good enough and it's important to find out why it didn't work perfectly. Why were you 10 minitues late to reach point "X". Didn't you know that gas prices would rise 23.99cents (if you were listening, God would have told you!). What do you mean you drove 30 miles more than your turn -- you cheated your fellow Corps brother/ sister of their responsibility......

Yup, no fun at all and no thanks for that wonderful leadership trainning....but, then again, I won't have to run a Fortune 500 Company. :sleep1::sleep1:

Having done numerous trips in just this manner with the Ex (this'd be my ex, not the wonderful ex10, or exCath)....all we managed to do was plan misery into the trip and fun right out, for exactly that niggling little reason mentioned above..."why didn't we get to mile marker X by 11:17.23 AM" etc.

And...when I think of all the countries I'd have missed seeing because I KNOW those trips wouldn't have made it past the smell test...hmph. I'm glad I chose travel and some small part of adventure. Getting to Budapest, then Nagykanisza, Hungary was a goat-roping cluster-f*** if ever there was one...all plans totally shot in the foot from the moment I left BWI...but...

would I have missed it? Nope.

QT

Not EVERYONE before the 80's was in as an foot ..... I went in for personal reasons....to get more knowledge....but I didn't swallow everything that was dished out to me. I made the choice...swallow or put in the garbage can. I know later years were different, but it's apparently two different Corps-type administrations. Please don't group ALL the Corps into one thing on someone's plate. Not all of us were taught, reacted, or did what those in the 90's did. There is a distinction....I would appreciate if that distinction were at least acknowledge if not respected. Some that post here are in the 70's, 80's period. Some are 90's and up. It was different then, so please don't put everyone in the same soup pot.

Edited by sogwap51

All of the students were involved in planning the trip to the Advanced Class

at Headquarters this summer, thinking through the itinerary.

They planned vehicles, food, finances, routes, and lodging.

SNACKS!! They forgot to mention snacks! :dance:

Such a difficult thing to budget for that it was specified originally --

and now it's buried under the guise of *food*, or *finances*. :(

Shaaaaame on them!

For penance -- twi should hand out special nametags at the AC ---

Joe Believer

I GOT SNACKS!

:spy:

Edited by dmiller

QUOTE: Not EVERYONE before the 80's was in as an foot

Sogwap, where the heck did this comment come from? No one is saying that! Geez.

I was raised in the "make a plan and stick to it down to the minute" manner, and the corps reinforced that attitude. But over the years I saw how miserable that made everyone. And post-twi I was so interested in shedding all-things-twi, that I purposely did whatever came to mind on our next couple of family trips. It was GREAT.

Make a plan, yes. But go with the flow... Without a doubt the best, most memorable moments have been the unplanned ones. Stopping with my kid and shopping at a huge tourist-trap of a place that ended up having some really fun stuff inside. Leaving one city because it wasn't what we thought it would be, and moving down the road to another location, only to find it was MUCH better than we could have imagined. Passing a sign for a monument or historical site you never knew about and turning off to take a look or go on a hike. Good stuff, maynard!

Sack suppers for everyone!!... I'll trade my sesame seed bar for your apple. Anyone want my yogurt?

Edited by TheHighWay

I hate to admit it, but even though I was never in the Way Corps, I plan for trips in an overly detailed manner.

My *detailed* planning ---

Fiddle and mando?? Check.

Working CB radio/ lots of cd's to listen to?? Check.

Full tank of gas/ oil change?? Check.

Clothing for a week?? Check.

Toiletries?? Check.

Coffee pot and 2 lbs of coffee? Check.

Credit Card???. Check.

Ready to roll. :)

Edited by dmiller

Then "current" corps has nothing to do with me....just get tired of the bashing. Some of us I don't think were asses. The Corps had it's good points, if you accepted some and rejected what didn't fit -- personal choices. Just get tired of everything being bashed. I still think it saved some people.

Edited by sogwap51

Then "current" corps has nothing to do with me....just get tired of the bashing. Some of us I don't think were asses. The Corps had it's good points, if you accepted some and rejected what didn't fit -- personal choices. Just get tired of everything being bashed. I still think it saved some people.

Hey there Sogwap. :) Fer what it's worth -- I saw (do see) this thread as a *travel; and preparation* thing.

Meebe corps (now) are involved, and meebe believers (now) are involved,

but I take this whole thing as what is happening NOW, and NOT

what happened in the past.

I can tell a few stories of travel, corps involvement, *mandated* practices (on the road), etc.,

and it would all be from the late 1970's. :)

I got a kick out of hearing how SERIOUS everyone was taking the preparation

for this upcoming trip of theirs.

Crimminy -- Next thing you know --- twi will turn this into another *class*. :(

So -- What you said in your first sentence -

"The "current" corps has nothing to do with me." is absolutely true. :)

If this is a *corp-bashing* thread,

please see it as for those who (sadly)

are still manipulated by twi,

and can't think for themselves,

without the ORG approving it.

It's NOT about you, or old corp at all.

And yes -- there were many fine ones.

It was my privilidge to have known a few,

and to have them as TC and BC and LC.

:) :)

Sogwap..no bashing intended, simply a current observation.

No one called anyone an foot.

I was in the Corps in the late 70's and early 80's.

And I just left TWI in late 2005. So I am very aware of the different TWI's.

Hope folks still in can read this one day and learn to laugh a little at the absurdity of it all.

Yet..it is sad..as noted by Ex10 and others. Heck, I lived it too.

Glad I'm out and unraveling the web!!

Oakspear...maybe you need to travel with Rhino some!! :biglaugh:

Dmiller I'll go with you with all that music!! :dance:

Just get tired, really, of the original getting bashed. Then and now are like today and yesterday. Can't compare, but don't put them in the same jar because they won't fit. I don't post a lot unless it is meaninful or annoys me greatly. Just don't trash it all...two different times is what I want folks to see. Can't incorporate the two different times.

You sure are touchy about things that don't have anything to do with you.

Just don't trash it all...two different times is what I want folks to see. Can't incorporate the two different times.

You're right. The old TWI was screwed up in a somewhat different way than the more recent TWI.

Sogwap -- hey there -- are you doing ok??

I seem to recollect you talking about a few *personal problems*

a while back. Can we pray for you, if they are getting the upper hand?

I will -- even if no one else will --

but I'm willing to bet that every last SOMEBODY

will do so -- being on your side. You're family.

:)

I was chuckling as I remember the many WOW-mobiles seen in the 1970s and early 1980s Rock of Ages parking lot ... they barely made it to the Rock ... perhaps all this over-planning is an outgrowth of the reaction to not enough planning years ago ... or perhaps a reflection of the times ... but it STILL takes all the fun out of it to have every little detail planned ... where's the spontaneity? Where's the FUN? I would say fun is seriously lacking in the current Corps ... I was in the Corps from 1982-85 and we had FUN ... and my very first "road trip" with the elder Corps in my Twig ... whew! Nobody ever taught THAT crew how to prepare ... car broke down twice, no money to fix it, people in the car majorly out of whack ... and we did end up getting major reproof (yet it was really loving) from Way Corps Area Coordination Br**e N*yl*r ... but ya know, he was right ... but I digress....

Where is the FUN? Where is the real life application? Don't they have anything more to coordinate than a trip, for goodness sake? I guess not ...

Here's my feedback on this.

Keep in mind it's commentary on the current state of affairs,

and not on anything else-past, present, future, fictional, etc.

'Because planning is a part of believing, the in-residence Way Corps develop skills in good, solid planning as part of their training. All of the students were involved in planning the trip to the Advanced Class at Headquarters this summer, thinking through the itinerary. They planned vehicles, food, finances, routes, and lodging.
Right. Let's be generous and say it's a 25-person trip.

(It's probably less than 20, but let's be generous.)

They're in residence (where, BTW? I thought they were AT HQ.

That would mean "travel" means "a brisk walk across grounds".

*scrolls down* Oh, Colorado to Ohio.

Must be the Camp Gunnison site.)

They're planning a trip for the bunch of them.

They planned:

1) vehicles

2) food

3) finances

4) routes

5) lodging

Now, how much planning is involved with the vehicles?

Figure out what you have, and what you need.

One twi bus and you've got all the seating worked out FINE.

Plus space for luggage.

Or 2 passenger vans and one car.

Or 4 cars above "compact" size.

Make sure the cars run.

How complicated is that?

Food...

packing a sack lunch? Packing supplies in general?

Scheduling stops at a 7-11 to buy more stuff when

gassing up?

This takes HOW much planning?

Finances...

Figure out how much the other steps cost,

double that, divide by the # of people,

and make sure people each have that amount.

One person with a calculator, tops.

Routes...

this is a fun part.

Stare at the maps.

Find the nearest interstates,

and how to get on & off them.

Make sure every driver has the plan, and a good map.

Lodging...

Motel on the way there? Straight drive thru?

Stopping in a scheduled rest or campsite?

Are they counting "reserve room at destination hotel"

as part of this step?

How tough is all this supposed to be?

When in college, a bunch of us college types took

trips from NYC to St Louis, Boston, Albany,

Dallas and so on. And we worked all this out.

With a variety of travel methods.

And all the trips went off as planned.

Complete with hotel rooms and stuff.

This didn't require "special training" or anything.

An overall coordinator was chosen, and then assistants were assigned to coordinate the different groups responsible to plan various aspects of the trip. Organizational meetings with all of the in-residence Way Corps were held periodically. These meetings showed everyone the essential details that each group put into their piece of the plan--the details necessary to successfully carry out such an event from start to finish.

A series of meetings were run to handle each step.

Committees studied each step before recommending a course of action,

then carrying it out.

There were meetings, planning meetings, and preplanning meetings.

Are you sure you want to rush into that preplanning meeting without

preparation?

When we college kids planned, things were handled in ONE quick

meeting as more of a 2-minute update, then we moved on to

other items. These guys need entire meetings on this?

With this much planning, I've RUN events, not gotten TO events.

One student writes, "In each category of planning, I learned that our plan had many variables within it.
He needed to learn this?

When I eat a fricking hot dog on the street there are variables

(where to get it, what to put on it, what to drink.)

We had to consider how each portion of our plan is affected by other aspects of the plan, and how our portion affects other elements as well. We thought through these details and double-checked everything so that, to the best of our ability we did not miss anything. We also consistently sought counsel from one another, which was invaluable to our success."'

They needed to train to learn "make sure everyone's on the same page

and knows what we're doing"?