GreaseSpot Cafe

save on gas

likeaneagle

Someone passed this tidbit of info on.

Instead of running air conditioner, you can, turn on defroster and put temp on cool, and make sure windows are closed...It does keep the inside alot cooler than I thought..

I typicaly turn the on the air for a while and turn it off and follow above..

the heat index is 110 here today.

Edited by likeaneagle

the heat is moving up the east .

MOst northeners are not at all used to heat or sunshine . 85 rocks our world. so this is tough they have warnings for excessive heat and the schools closed for two days .

Our "grids" are good tho.. those poor souls in high rises and the electricity goes out.

Our mayor is very good to us he has opened cooling stations with free transportation to them. the city allows the hydrants to be opened on the streets for the kids.

I do not have air in my car.

thanks for the tip I drove yesterday and stuck my hand out for a breeze in my face it was ok not to bad but i do not want to go long distance.

how is everyone eles doing the heat?

Edited by pond

We're heat indexed at about 105 today, Pond, near Baltimore.

My little guy is on his way home from school where he was in AC...I will take him to the Y later for some swim time. My daughter is in Texas with Gparents, moving from ac house to pool and back again, from what I understand.

I give my little guy all the time he wants in the cool bathtub, too, on days like today...and homemade popsicles.

finally, I had my groceries delivered today...to avoid taking my little guy out in this heat when the AC in my Thunderbird has been dicey all summer and the dealer hasn't been able to fix it.

drinking lots of cool water, here,

QT

Instead of running air conditioner, you can, turn on defroster and put temp on cool, and make sure windows are closed...It does keep the inside alot cooler than I thought..

Turn on defroster? Don't know what you mean. I think the only defroster I own is in the microwave when I defrost meat.

98 degrees here in Michigan, heat index 107 misery. HUMIDITY WET STICKY

We are moving as little as possible, laughing as much as possible, have had more than a few water fights, watching movies, drinking water like crazy, eating fruit.

They say high 70's tomorrow and following days. If they're wrong, they better move. :unsure:

Edited by Shellon Fockler-North

We're heat indexed at about 105 today, Pond, near Baltimore.

QT, I just checked the website temperature of one of the Television Hill TV stations, and they're saying it's 106 degrees, heat index. I can't remember the last time I felt like I was actually baking in a pizzeria oven, but that's what it felt like when I was out earlier this afternoon.

And I'm in one of the areas that have water restrictions, too. Double Whammy.

Subaru's and possibly other makes run the air conditioning

on the defrost setting to help pull the moisture out of the air.

BTW, air conditioning doesn't usually cost too much in fuel

economy. At idle, the aircon puts a load on the engine

which, believe it or not, improves it's efficiency. At highway

speeds, the aircon losses pretty much balance out the

aerodynamic losses of having the windows open.

Around town, it's a loss though.

We're looking at a high of 100 here in the Kansas City area with a heat index of 105-108. Our UV index is 10. My fair skin in staying inside as much as possible. It's supposed to let up tomorrow here too. We'll see.

It was tolerable to sit out on the back porch with coffee this morning. I can't complain (but sometimes I still do). :dance:

Thanks a lot, Bow! Now that song is running through my brain!

Lucky I'm sane after all I've been through........

98 degrees 47 percent humidity

I'm sooooo thankful for AC!!

(and having the freedom to make it as COLD as I want)

If there's any way I can help it - there are two things Belle will NOT be this summer - HOT - HUNGRY

:biglaugh:

Subaru's and possibly other makes run the air conditioning

on the defrost setting to help pull the moisture out of the air.

Just about ALL "modern" cars work this way... when you turn on the defroster/defogger/whatever the AC compressor is automatically kicked in... so, unless you're talking about a car w/o AC, just turn on the AC...

And always, always have the little recirculate button pushed in... that's the key!

jim, you beat me to it. I have heard the same about today's car aerodynamics. use the AC at highway speeds, it doesn't cost you, and the noise from windows open is deafening.

By the way, why did they EVER stop making those cars with the triangular vent windows that you could turn and blow on yourself, or open just a crack to let the smoke out?

~HAP

They say high 70's tomorrow and following days. If they're wrong, they better move. :unsure:

We had that here today Shellon, and it looks like it is moving your way. :)

I opened the front and back doors this morning, turned on the ceiling fan,

and cooled the whole house.

We aren't called the *air-conditioned city* for nothing! ;)

Jim -- I didn't know that about Subarus. I'll give it a try.

Hap -- I miss those old triangular vent windows too.

If you actually want to save on gas when you have to fill up, click on or type in this link. It will ask for the zip code in your area. When you put in your zip, it will show you by price (lowest price first) what each gas station in your area is asking for gas so that you can find the cheapest station near you. It is updated everyday. :dance:

http://autos.msn.com/everyday/gasstations....p=&src=Netx

Edited by sogwap51

Oldies, you have no defroster for your windshield? It must be fun driving with you in winter!! D)

It's been in the high 90s here with a heat index of 100-something all week. I'm ready for a change. My poor parents have been without power the last two nights, but kept the house closed up and stayed reasonably comfortable. The power company is doing "rolling blackouts" to keep the whole thing from going kaplooey, I guess.

Belle, I only WISH we had 47% humidity...heh heh. Ours has been in the 50s.

Where's Zshot? He should be here bragging about dry heat right about now.

Shell, do you not have AC? I'd be dying! Before you age another 10 years, you better get it. I've found that my tolerance for heat goes down as my age goes up.

Stay cool, everyone, and drink plenty of water.

LOL! Linda, I feel guilty actually. We've got some of the coolest temperatures in the nation right now except for George up in WA. Somethings so very wrong with that! :confused: Even Boston was showing 101 degrees on the weather this morning.

Florida is NOT supposed to be cooler than everyone else! :unsure: NOT complaining, mind you - :biglaugh:

My boss thinks he saves gas by riding with his tailgate on his truck down. :rolleyes: The things some people do to save a penny just cracks me up. My neighbor bragged about getting gas for $2/gallon. He neglected to mention that he spent to get there and back than he saved. :blink:

I typicaly turn the on the air for a while and turn it off and follow above..

the heat index is 110 here today.

LOL

Instead of running the A/C, just run the A/C ???

The 'defrost' mode removes the humidity from the air by running the A/C [which condensates the humidity] and then re-heats it. By turning the heat function down, your just disabling the heating part.

:)

My boss thinks he saves gas by riding with his tailgate on his truck down. :rolleyes: The things some people do to save a penny just cracks me up.

depending on his truck, he probably does. If he does much highway driving especially. It likely amounts to 1-1.5 miles a gallon. My truck has a 34 gallon tank, so that amounts to driving 30-40 miles per tank further, or said another away, it saves about 3 gallons per tank which is $9 a week. not just saving pennies.

My truck has a computer, which tells the mileage I am getting. I agree with your boss, why waste anything more than we need to while still accomplishing what we wish to accomplish. In this case, getting from here to there!

~HAP

LOL! Linda, I feel guilty actually. We've got some of the coolest temperatures in the nation right now except for George up in WA. Somethings so very wrong with that! :confused: Even Boston was showing 101 degrees on the weather this morning.

Florida is NOT supposed to be cooler than everyone else! :unsure: NOT complaining, mind you - :biglaugh:

My boss thinks he saves gas by riding with his tailgate on his truck down. :rolleyes: The things some people do to save a penny just cracks me up. My neighbor bragged about getting gas for $2/gallon. He neglected to mention that he spent to get there and back than he saved. :blink:

I saw that one on 'mythbusters' they tested it.

They found through there testings that it did not help.

They also testing running a vehicle's A/C, verses going with windows down and a few other options. But I truly dont recall what their observations were from the various methods they tried.

But I had seen the tailgates removed, so I was watching for that particular test result.

They found through there testings that it did not help.

They also testing running a vehicle's A/C, verses going with windows down and a few other options. But I truly dont recall what their observations were from the various methods they tried.

But I had seen the tailgates removed, so I was watching for that particular test result.

Have you never *drafted* behind a semi out on the open road?

Sounds like these guys haven't.

The semi opens the way aero-dynamically

and you follow in the path of lessened resistance.

Like they do with bicycles in the Tour de France,

Like they do in Nascar on the race track,

Like geese do, when migrating in a *V* pattern.

If you have an open box pickup truck --

it only makes sense that the air flow over the cab, hitting the tailgate,

causes resistance, causing more gasoline to get *from here to there*.

I used to have an open box pickup (topper on it now),

but did the long distance travel thing with the tailgate down.

At highway speeds -- it made a difference.

Savings?? Not significant (gas was cheaper then),

but I did get better gas mileage. :)

Well, my bad. Every study I can find declares savings with tailgate down as a myth. It may be true with older blunt nose pickups it seems, but not with the newer design aerodynamics. a bubble forms in the bed and air actually passes over that bubble more smoothly. Studies by Canada, Ford and Chrysler all agree.

What does help is a tonneau cover over the bed, but not removing or lowering tailgate. Mesh tailgates actually reduce gas mileage according to the studies. I won't bother citing the stufdies, you can google them just as easy.

~HAP (red-faced, but still happy. this is obviously the first mistake I have ever made, so I will fess up to it.)